unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc8a Available

limetech

There are 2 issues.  TMP files being one, and I'm the only one that has reported it so far.

The other is being unable to delete files from windows as they keep popping back up.  A shell session is the only way to remove them.  2 of us have reported this issue.

As I only have 1 live system at home, I can only bring the server up and down to run tests at certain times.  I'll do it when I can and report back.

I'll try the newer version of samba first to see if that repairs the problem.  If it doesn't then I'll work on the plugins.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Telnet into your box and...

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/n/samba-*.txz
installpkg samba-*.txz
logger "### samba `smbd -V` installed. ###"
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba start

Tried that and got

root@tdm:~# wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/n/samba-*.txz
Warning: wildcards not supported in HTTP.
--2012-09-24 16:56:09--  http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/n/samba-*.txz
Resolving slackware.osuosl.org (slackware.osuosl.org)... 140.211.166.134
Connecting to slackware.osuosl.org (slackware.osuosl.org)|140.211.166.134|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2012-09-24 16:56:10 ERROR 404: Not Found.

OK, after downloading, installing, starting the new samba and then stopping and starting the array to get the shares visible again, I can confirm the TMP bug I was having has now gone.  I can't recreate a TMP file for the life of me.

The inability to delete files was a fairly random event which I wasn't able to track down to a particular type/share/sequence.  I've tested by deleting some a few files at random and haven't had an issue.  That's not to say the issue has gone, I just can't replicate it at the moment.

There are 2 issues.  TMP files being one, and I'm the only one that has reported it so far.

The other is being unable to delete files from windows as they keep popping back up.  A shell session is the only way to remove them.  2 of us have reported this issue.

As I only have 1 live system at home, I can only bring the server up and down to run tests at certain times.  I'll do it when I can and report back.

I'll try the newer version of samba first to see if that repairs the problem.  If it doesn't then I'll work on the plugins.

Three of us.  I had th same problem when creating folders and files for my PLEX install.  To be clear, it was NOT a plex issue.  I was just the temp and app shares and folders on the cache drive.  I decided I didn't like the way I organized it so I made new shares and new folders.  But I couldn't delete the folders within the old shares via windows.  I had to go to the shell to delete them.

Tried that and got

Sorry, my bad: wget can't use wildcards with http. I meant to give the ftp link:

wget ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/n/samba-*.txz

Anyway, glad to hear you found it, and that it seems to fix the problem. Until Tom packs the new samba in the next build, you can put one "installpkg /PATH-TO/samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz"  line in your GO script, BEFORE the line that starts emhttp.

(I'll go fix the link in my previous post)

Thanks for the new samba info Barzija!

Can you please confirm where to put the file?  Would I put in \boot\packages\samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz

Then just add the line to the GO file, installpkg /PATH-TO/samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz

I want to try this new version as well.  I had a issue where I wasn't able to delete some files from my pc or imac using SMB.  However, I did find a workaround.  I had to share it as a AFP and then connect with my imac.  I was then able to delete the files.  It seems that this issue was directly related to the samba version included with the current RC.

i have finally made the move from 5.0b13 and installed 5.0-rc8a yesterday.  My server rebooted with no problems and I immediately began a parity check.  Parity check proceeded at about 70-80 MB/s, similar to what I was getting before, but less than my hope for 100+.  I have not written data to the server yet but it seems to be performing well. 

just my $0.02

Can you please confirm where to put the file?  Would I put in \boot\packages\samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz

Then just add the line to the GO file, installpkg /PATH-TO/samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz

I want to try this new version as well.  I had a issue where I wasn't able to delete some files from my pc or imac using SMB.  However, I did find a workaround.  I had to share it as a AFP and then connect with my imac.  I was then able to delete the files.  It seems that this issue was directly related to the samba version included with the current RC.

To run a test you can just open up a ssh session and follow the instructions.  the samba file will be downloaded to whatever directory you are running the command in.  To finalise the test, you need to stop and restart the array from the web gui to ensure unraid sets up your sharers again.

Once you confirm it works, you can copy the samba file where ever you want (I copied it to  \boot\custom\ to keep it away from other packages I will want to keep at the next unraid release) and edited the Go file as per instructions above.

Tried that and got

Sorry, my bad: wget can't use wildcards with http. I meant to give the ftp link:

wget ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/n/samba-*.txz

Anyway, glad to hear you found it, and that it seems to fix the problem. Until Tom packs the new samba in the next build, you can put one "installpkg /PATH-TO/samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz"  line in your GO script, BEFORE the line that starts emhttp.

(I'll go fix the link in my previous post)

Big thanks Barzija! I thought it was something trivial to make a change like this.

I couldn't wait to try, my server finished all the jobs just now. So I brought the new version down of samba per your instructions, and setup my go file, booted to RC8a and started all my tests over that all failed previously, documented in dalben post over in the 5RC forum.

Night and day, everything works, and can say what Tom stated "Snappy" now with SMB2. Any and all changes were immediate across all clients looking at the same directories on the unRAID server. No more deadlock, refresh hangs, etc...

I feel confident now to schedule all my jobs to this server running RC8a with this addition. And will help me see how far off the performance is compared to 5B12a (fastest  performance version for me thus far).

Again, many thanks for sharing this info!

so with this RC version, should I leave the box checked that says Write Corrections to Parity Disk, on the main page?

Mine is checked and I have it setup to run a parity check once a month.  In the past, it was recommended to leave that unchecked incase the parity disk itself had the issue.

Just looking for a recommendation now that we are up to v5 RC8.

Thanks

its included with rc8a is it not?

It is in the rc8a version:

grep r8168 /var/log/syslog

Sep 19 20:01:16 Tower2 kernel: r8168 Gigabit Ethernet driver 8.032.00-NAPI loaded

Sep 19 20:01:16 Tower2 kernel: r8168 0000:04:00.0: irq 45 for MSI/MSI-X

Sep 19 20:01:16 Tower2 kernel: r8168: This product is covered by one or more of the following patents: US5,307,459, US5,434,872, US5,732,094, US6,570,884, US6,115,776, and US6,327,625.

Sep 19 20:01:16 Tower2 kernel: r8168  Copyright © 2012  Realtek NIC software team <[email protected]>

so with this RC version, should I leave the box checked that says Write Corrections to Parity Disk, on the main page?

Mine is checked and I have it setup to run a parity check once a month.  In the past, it was recommended to leave that unchecked incase the parity disk itself had the issue.

Thanks

Anyone want to offer your choice of setting here?

Thanks

It is persistent?  (somehow I did not think it is, but was only in effect for the next press of the "Check" button)  I'll have to investigate.

In any case, I would prefer it to NOT correct, as once parity is modified it is not possible to get back to where it was... (if checked you are always trusting your data disks, even potentially if they have failed)

Thanks

It is persistent?  (somehow I did not think it is, but was only in effect for the next press of the "Check" button)  I'll have to investigate.

In any case, I would prefer it to NOT correct, as once parity is modified it is not possible to get back to where it was... (if checked you are always trusting your data disks, even potentially if they have failed)

I un-checked the box to have parity corrected, stopped the array, and re-booted.  The box is checked once more.  (it was not persistent through a reboot)

I un-checked the box once more, pressed the "Check" button to start a parity check, gave it a few minutes, then cancelled the parity check.  The checkbox was "checked" once more.  (It had no persistent effect after a parity check)

Joe L.

I upgraded from a AMD 245 to a AMD 635 and the parity check speed went from 75MB/s to 40MB/s. And also write speed has dropped!

Very strange!

Any clues??

yes, I read somewhere that the AMD cool'n'quiet isn't speeding up the processor during unraid calc's.

check the BIOS and disable any feature that appears to slow the CPU down under light loads.