unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc8a Available

limetech

I started with unraid version 4.7, and kept upgrading every time a new beta came up.  I've got a PCH-A210 and a Dune D1, and I don't have any issues streaming anything.

Are you using SMB or NFS?

Sorry for not replaying sooner, but I don't get on this site much anymore.  I am only using SMB.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently I was playing around with Simple Features, looking through  the logs using the log viewer in that product.  I found that I was only running Samba 3.6.7 even though I had downloaded the 3.6.8 package, copied it to a directory (/boot/custom) on my flashdrive and added the following line to my go file.

installpkg /boot/custom/samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz

From my first reading of this thread, I thought that this was all I had to do.  But in the back of my mind was the thought that samba always had to be stopped for any changes to be applied. 

I did a bit more searching through the thread and pulled some information from several different posts.  I modified my go file to read as follows:

# custom install of updated samba package
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba start

After restarting (rebooting) unRAID, the samba logs now indicated that version 3.6.8 was running. 

I am definitely not a Linux expert but I had some experience with Unix (twenty-five plus years ago) and with setting up a samba server on a Linux machine (about six years ago) so I did have some inkling about how things work.  I also gleaned some information for other posters in this thread and should really credit them but I am afraid that I will miss someone so I will not attempt to do so. 

Perhaps I should go into greater detail about why this approach works or perhaps there is another way to accomplish the same thing.  But, with my limited knowledge of Linux, I decided it would be better to let  someone do that!  ;)

samba 3.6.9 is available, but not sure how to get it in a form we need.  Anyone care to help? :)

The real question should be: Is there any updates contained in the new version that are essential for the proper operation of unRAID?

Otherwise, let's wait until Tom can include it in the next release.  (Don't fix something that ain't broke)

samba 3.6.9 is available, but not sure how to get it in a form we need.  Anyone care to help? :)

I use this before, change to the version you DL

mkdir /tmp/samba
cd /tmp/samba
wget http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.2.tar.gz
wget -r -nH ftp://slackware.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-current/source/n/samba

cp /tmp/samba/samba-3.6.2.tar.gz .
cd pub/slackware/slackware-current/source/n/samba/
Delete old version of samba
####edit samba.SlackBuild, and change on 2 places so it's match the extension of the new file
  >>>> samba-*.tar.xz >>>>  samba-*.tar.gz
  >>>> samba-$VERSION.tar.xz >>>>  samba-$VERSION.tar.gz
$ chmod +x samba.SlackBuild
$ ./samba.SlackBuild

Slackware package /tmp/samba-3.6.2-i486-1.txz created.

//Peter

Hi all.

Does anyone have a guide etc. on how to move from a root share to a non root share?

Currently running unRaid with one share and one user, root. The version past mine doesn't allow Samba to use root. I have tried to upgrade and just added a user to unRaid and then used that user to share the share.

Windows rejected the user details everytime and nothing in the house would connect?

Hi all.

Does anyone have a guide etc. on how to move from a root share to a non root share?

Currently running unRaid with one share and one user, root. The version past mine doesn't allow Samba to use root. I have tried to upgrade and just added a user to unRaid and then used that user to share the share.

Windows rejected the user details everytime and nothing in the house would connect?

This may be a stupid question, but when you upgraded did you run the New Permission script found in the Utilities tab? That may be the issue!

This may be a stupid question, but when you upgraded did you run the New Permission script found in the Utilities tab? That may be the issue!

I don't think it was stupid, I did try that yes. I am currently running RC3 and have been for sometime but I will have to do this one day even for the final release.

I don't think it was stupid, I did try that yes. I am currently running RC3 and have been for sometime but I will have to do this one day even for the final release.

What I did that worked (I had a similar issue) was run the New Permission script, and when I was positive it was finished I actually remapped my drives in Windows. I didn't connect with *any* user, since the new permission sets it to user nobody.

Good luck, hopefully that can help!

What I did that worked (I had a similar issue) was run the New Permission script, and when I was positive it was finished I actually remapped my drives in Windows. I didn't connect with *any* user, since the new permission sets it to user nobody.

Good luck, hopefully that can help!

I will give it another go, cheers.

Had my first monthly parity check after upgrading from 4.7 last night. Was pleasantly surprised to find that it was just finishing when I got up this morning. With 4.7 it had never finished before I had to leave for work.

Don't have any exact numbers but probably 8-9 hours under 4.7 and now 6.5 hours on 5rc8a. No hardware changes.

Loving all the plugins.

My check completed today, and I think given my setup, then numbers are good.  The only thing  I find weird is that it reports that the check started yesterday, when it actually started today.

Last checked on Thu Nov 1 12:33:46 2012 PDT (yesterday), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 12 hours, 33 minutes, 43 seconds. Average speed: 66.4 MB/sec

My check completed today, and I think given my setup, then numbers are good.  The only thing  I find weird is that it reports that the check started yesterday, when it actually started today.

Last checked on Thu Nov 1 12:33:46 2012 PDT (yesterday), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 12 hours, 33 minutes, 43 seconds. Average speed: 66.4 MB/sec

Apparently a bug in Simplefeatures.  (Stock unRaid has no such wording)

I use this before, change to the version you DL

mkdir /tmp/samba
cd /tmp/samba
wget http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/samba-3.6.2.tar.gz
wget -r -nH ftp://slackware.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-current/source/n/samba

cp /tmp/samba/samba-3.6.2.tar.gz .
cd pub/slackware/slackware-current/source/n/samba/
Delete old version of samba
####edit samba.SlackBuild, and change on 2 places so it's match the extension of the new file
  >>>> samba-*.tar.xz >>>>  samba-*.tar.gz
  >>>> samba-$VERSION.tar.xz >>>>  samba-$VERSION.tar.gz
$ chmod +x samba.SlackBuild
$ ./samba.SlackBuild

Slackware package /tmp/samba-3.6.2-i486-1.txz created.

//Peter

''

Hi Peter - could use a little advice.  I'm running samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz and I have the install line in my Go file, works perfect.  I decided to try the new version after seeing your post, samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz.  I connected to my Flash drive and copied the new file over (deleted the old file) and then updated my GO file to load the new file.  I then Stopped my array and rebooted.  After the reboot, I was not able to connect to my server via SMB at all.  The log showed that the samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz package was installed with no errors.  No matter what I did, I was unable to connect via SMB.  I decided to Stop my array so I could power down and use my Windows pc to put back the old file and restore the old Go file.  However, the server would not Stop via webgui, at the bottom it said Retrying to unmount disk shares...and it hung there.  I had to go to my server console and manually tell it to Shutdown and then Poweroff, which worked.

I'm confused as to why the new Samba version was not working.  After putting the old file back samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz and rebooting, all is good again.  It would seem the new version is not happy with unraid 5 RC8a.

I assume you have this working and I'm curious what went wrong with this simple upgrade. 

Any ideas?  I'm starting here in this thread to see if it is related to RC8a. Otherwise, I guess I can post this in User Custom... section.

Thanks!

I did a bit more searching through the thread and pulled some information from several different posts.  I modified my go file to read as follows:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba start

I know this isn't the best thread for this question, but since there seems to be no news/information about the current release, this seems as good a place as any to ask my question.

I saw that samba 3.6.9 has been released, so i figured I'd just jump to that version, since i'm still having permissions issues which i think are related to samba 3.6.7

I added the commands above to my go file, but my logs still show 3.6.7 running.  so, i figured I'd just run the commands from putty and verify they all work, but they don't.

here is what I get (I put the samba file in /boot/packages just to keep it with other stuff, not sure it that's the problem)...

root@media:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
root@media:~# installpkg /boot/packages/samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz
Verifying package samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz.
Installing package samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# samba (CIFS file and print server)
#
# Samba is a CIFS file and print server for CIFS clients.  It allows
# you to make file space or printers on a Samba host available to CIFS
# clients (such as PCs running Windows).
#
# If you have any Windows file servers, you may be able to replace them
# or supplement them with Samba.  One of Samba's big strengths is
# integration, so you can use it to tie together your Linux hosts and
# Windows PC clients.
#
Executing install script for samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz.
Package samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz installed.

root@media:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start
Starting Samba:  /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
                         /usr/sbin/smbd -D
/usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any thoughts on how to get samba 3.6.9 (or even 3.6.8) running on my machine to try to fix the permissions problems I'm still seeing?

thanks

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba start

I know this isn't the best thread for this question, but since there seems to be no news/information about the current release, this seems as good a place as any to ask my question.

I saw that samba 3.6.9 has been released, so i figured I'd just jump to that version, since i'm still having permissions issues which i think are related to samba 3.6.7

I added the commands above to my go file, but my logs still show 3.6.7 running.  so, i figured I'd just run the commands from putty and verify they all work, but they don't.

here is what I get (I put the samba file in /boot/packages just to keep it with other stuff, not sure it that's the problem)...

root@media:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
root@media:~# installpkg /boot/packages/samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz
Verifying package samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz.
Installing package samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# samba (CIFS file and print server)
#
# Samba is a CIFS file and print server for CIFS clients.  It allows
# you to make file space or printers on a Samba host available to CIFS
# clients (such as PCs running Windows).
#
# If you have any Windows file servers, you may be able to replace them
# or supplement them with Samba.  One of Samba's big strengths is
# integration, so you can use it to tie together your Linux hosts and
# Windows PC clients.
#
Executing install script for samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz.
Package samba-3.6.9-i486-1.txz installed.

root@media:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start
Starting Samba:  /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
                         /usr/sbin/smbd -D
/usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any thoughts on how to get samba 3.6.9 (or even 3.6.8) running on my machine to try to fix the permissions problems I'm still seeing?

thanks

Samba 3.6.8 does run. (I have it installed on my system.)  However, there have been several reports that 3.6.9 does not properly install for some reason into unRAID.  The upgrade to 3.6.8 was found to cure a problem that some unRAID users were having with 3.6.7  That is the principal reason for doing the upgrade to samba.  Jumping on every update to any of the core components (3.6.8 for 3.6.7 is probably one of those cases) is not the best idea if you want a truly stable system.  There are times when there are problems in a certain release of any component which do require an immediate update.  But to do it simply because it is there is not always the best idea unless you enjoy being a beta tester. 

I have a feeling that your permission problems are not related to samba unless you are running a some previously unused plug-in or add-in.  Perhaps, you should state exactly what your problem is and see if anyone else has had the same experience. 

I think Frank is correct.  3.6.8 runs fine, and 3.6.9 does not install correctly. 

Also, you say that your log shows 3.6.7, which I think is what is included with this Unraid 5 RC8a build.  Which log are you looking at?  Do you get an error message when watching your console boot, specifically when Samba is installing?  On mine, I see it verify the package, then I see a line that says Samba installed sucessfully.  Do you see that line?