unRAID Server Release 6.0.1-x86_64 Available

Guess you'll just have to wait and see what we have in store!!

It's worth noting that the poll running in the v6 webgui right now shows some interesting results about what features the majority of folks are voting for as their favorites...

Would be nice if those of us who can't yet upgrade to v6 could also vote for the future...  :(

Why can't you upgrade?  We don't have plans to enable voting outside of the webgui at this time.  The voting is locked to one per running v6 system.

For this particular poll, I wouldn't want you cast a vote anyway. That's because the question is what your new favorite v6 feature is.  Since you're not running v6, you can't really have one yet as you haven't experienced them!!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lemon for limetech ?

Lol have always thought they were the same thing,just that one was the colour when its ripe and the other isn't :P

Really? http://www.diffen.com/difference/Lemon_vs_Lime

One of the most confusing things when I was learning Spanish

Lime is called limón    (which is really a key lime)

Lemon is called lima  (although in Mexico they don't really have lemons like in the US, so it referred to a different kind of Lime, which was closer to Lemon)

lemon for limetech ?

Lol have always thought they were the same thing,just that one was the colour when its ripe and the other isn't :P

Really? http://www.diffen.com/difference/Lemon_vs_Lime

One of the most confusing things when I was learning Spanish

Lime is called limón    (which is really a key lime)

Lemon is called lima  (although in Mexico they don't really have lemons like in the US, so it referred to a different kind of Lime, which was closer to Lemon)

This is ALL you need to know about Lemons and Limes...

Why can't you upgrade?  We don't have plans to enable voting outside of the webgui at this time.  The voting is locked to one per running v6 system.

For this particular poll, I wouldn't want you cast a vote anyway. That's because the question is what your new favorite v6 feature is.  Since you're not running v6, you can't really have one yet as you haven't experienced them!!

Hi jonp, some of us running unRAID as esxi VM cant upgrade to v6 final cos this bug: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40605

and don't say bare-metal only, that's not a case, esxi route is quite different than unRAID KVM route with some pros and cons of course - you cant compare them at this point now..

I would say there was a very strong focus on core NAS features and functionality in the 6.0 series. Do not overlook the work put in on the following core items:

• UPS Integration
  • SMART Monitoring
  • Scheduled Parity Checks
  • System Event Notifications
  • System Diagnostic Reporting
  • Support for XFS
  • Support for BTRFS
  • Support for BTRFS Pool for Cache Drive
  • Software Upgrade Notifications and improvements
  • Better support for community provided feature expansion (Docker)

And some more ...

• New webGUI
  • New dashboard page
  • Enhanced navigation for user and disk shares
  • Enhanced plugins manager with support of release notes
  • Enhanced interface for Docker installation
  • Enhanced interface for VM installation
  • Download individual SMART reports
  • Download syslog information as zip file

All valid points that I hadn't considered. These are great lists. I guess it's because a lot of the conversation has been about VM's and Docker.

All valid points that I hadn't considered. These are great lists. I guess it's because a lot of the conversation has been about VM's and Docker.

Definitely v6 is a lot more than adding Docker and VM to v5. IMHO, LT has released a really awesome product.

Guess you'll just have to wait and see what we have in store!!

It's worth noting that the poll running in the v6 webgui right now shows some interesting results about what features the majority of folks are voting for as their favorites...

Would be nice if those of us who can't yet upgrade to v6 could also vote for the future...  :(

Because I'm currently sat about 5000 miles away from my unraid server (it's in the UK and I'm in the US) and I won't be re-united with it for another 4-5 months, apart from that it runs a number of plugins which I need to work out how to change to dockers,  I couldn't make_bootable the flash drive if necessary, nor if I restarted it in 6.0 could I ssh in easily..

With no-one in the house who can troubleshoot issues if it goes wrong - would you upgrade it?? :)

Despite that I've followed the v6 discussions, threads and debates avidly and probably know as much about the features of 6 as the people who are using it - so why shouldn't I have a favourite item that I'm looking forward to or would like to see improved in the future?

If I was next to the server it would have been upgraded the day of release - I've even contemplated purchasing new hardware to build a second server - just to upgrade to 6.x.. (I already purchased the 2nd key!)

Don't alienate your customer base just because they haven't upgrade on day 1...

I'm about to upgrade to 6, from 5.06.  I have already precleared 3 new drives to replace some very old ones.  I would like to know if the adding or replacing drives process has changed in v6.  I guess the real question is this functionality now builtin, or do we still use preclear to prep new drives?

I was hoping that I could upgrade now, then replace the drives (that I precleared using unraid v5.  No this is not a preclear question so much as it is a question about if the process to replace old drives has changed.  I would hate to have to preclear those again.

My other option is to just swap the drives first (will take several days) and then upgrade to v6.

I'm about to upgrade to 6, from 5.06.  I have already precleared 3 new drives to replace some very old ones.  I would like to know if the adding or replacing drives process has changed in v6.  I guess the real question is this functionality now builtin, or do we still use preclear to prep new drives?

I was hoping that I could upgrade now, then replace the drives (that I precleared using unraid v5.  No this is not a preclear question so much as it is a question about if the process to replace old drives has changed.  I would hate to have to preclear those again.

My other option is to just swap the drives first (will take several days) and then upgrade to v6.

Process to add/replace drives has not changed. However, preclear has a plugin for v6 now.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39985.0

However, preclear has a plugin for v6 now.

Sorry. I know this is off topic, but could you post a link to whatever repo has that docker?

It is a plugin, not a docker. Some things still make sense as a plugin. See here for that plugin, and here for some discussion of other plugins people are still using in v6. Also see search tips in my sig.

Which version of the preclear script did you use? There was an issue that made 64bit unRAID not recognize the preclear signature. See the preclear script thread.

However, preclear has a plugin for v6 now.

Sorry. I know this is off topic, but could you post a link to whatever repo has that docker?

It is a plugin, not a docker. Some things still make sense as a plugin. See here for that plugin, and here for some discussion of other plugins people are still using in v6. Also see search tips in my sig.

Thanks. Guess that's why Google couldn't find a Preclear Docker.

... the only way to get it online again was to do a New Config. 

That will work but that has never been a requirement.  If a drive reports "unrecoverable write error" then unRaid will 'disable' that device - it has no choice because the data on that device is now wrong.  If higher-level code immediately reads back the block that didn't write correctly then it will return the wrong data.  We take great pains in the driver to makes sure disabling a device is 'synchronous' with the I/O stream so as not to permit this.

Once a device is 'disabled', the normal course of action is:

1. Stop array

2. Yank bad drive

3. Install new drive

4. Start array - this will trigger a rebuild because unraid sees that a new device has been installed in a disabled disk slot

One can also do this:

1. Stop array

2. Yank bad drive

3. Start array

Now you are running with on-the-fly reconstruct active for all I/O to the missing device.  The assumption is that sometime soon you will:

1. Stop array

2. Install new drive

3. Start array - this will trigger a rebuild because same reason above.

If you wanted to try and re-use the "bad" drive you can thus do this little dance:

1. Stop array

2. Yank bad drive (or just unassign it)

3. Start array

4. Stop array

5. Reinstall bad drive (or re-assign it) - unraid will "think" this is a new drive because step 3 erased disk-id of that bad slot

6. Start array - this will trigger a rebuild

Make sense?

That's actually a really nice and brief summary of the options you have when a drive fails. Worth putting that somewhere prominent in the doco.

Hi all. Just upgraded to to v6 and all went well. The problem I am having is after being up for about an hour the GUI is unresponsive. I can telnet into the server or watch a movie just fine. It's doing a parity check now since I couldn't stop the server. Any info you might need just let me know.

Thanks.

Hi all. Just upgraded to to v6 and all went well. The problem I am having is after being up for about an hour the GUI is unresponsive. I can telnet into the server or watch a movie just fine. It's doing a parity check now since I couldn't stop the server. Any info you might need just let me know.

Thanks.

From telnet or console, type
diagnostics

Get the diagnostics zip file from the logs folder on your flash drive and post it.

Which version of the preclear script did you use? There was an issue that made 64bit unRAID not recognize the preclear signature. See the preclear script thread.

I used the unoffical faster version.  I'm on my second drive using the plugin / gui - works great.  The upgrade from 5 to 6 using that plugin worked great too.

Ver 6 looks very nice.