New Application: S. N. A. P.

New to this but would appreciate someone telling me what's wrong and why I can't mount an internal disk that I have in my server.  (its a disk thats not part of the unraid array).

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -m Top

Partition doesn't exist, cannot be mounted.

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# cat snap.list

9VMT8T11=Top

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -listDevInfo

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  1371  /dev/sdb  ata-SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J9CB303580

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1410  /dev/sdc  ata-SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J9CB303586

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1389  /dev/sdd  ata-SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J9CB303588

unRAID=No  SNAP=Yes 1347  /dev/hdb  ata-VB0250EAVER_9VMT8T11

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  1371  /dev/sdb  scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD204UIS2H7J9CB303580

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1410  /dev/sdc  scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD204UIS2H7J9CB303586

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1389  /dev/sdd  scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD204UIS2H7J9CB303588

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  1305  /dev/sda  usb-hp_v165w_AA04012700008621-0:0

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  1371/dev/sdb  wwn-0x50024e9204a8bfaf

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1410/dev/sdc  wwn-0x50024e9204a8c010

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1389/dev/sdd  wwn-0x50024e9204a8c03c

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes

81 heads, 63 sectors/track, 95707 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 5103 * 512 = 2612736 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0xc5930600

Device Boot      Start        End      Blocks  Id  System

/dev/hdb1              1      95708  244197560  83  Linux

Please let me know if I can post some further information.

Regards,

EJ.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very happy with the add-on. Thank you.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I don't think this question has been answered. What happens on powerdown when I have drives snapped? Do I need to first unsnap the drives? I ask because I restarted my server this weekend and my one and only snapped drive was corrupted on reboot. It's a 256MB flash that was about 11% full. When i started up, it was 100% full and a bunch of my application files were corrupted. Luckily, I had a cronjob running nightly backing up the flash so I didn't loose any data.

Either way, I would like to know if I need to add anything to the powerdown script (and how if necessary) to unmount drives.

Thanks!

I installed s.n.a.p .47 on  UnRaid 5 bld12a.

I assigned a usb drive  (orangeusb) and can now see it in Windows

PROBLEM: as soon as i try to access it:

I get access denied. Enter name and passwordd.

I have ntfs-3g installed and running

--------------------------------------------------

If i run testparm  i get:

orangeusb                 my----------------- sharename

path = /mnt/disk/orangeusb

readonly= no

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears guest ok = yes   is missing

ls -l displays:

drwxrw---- 7 root users    orangeusb/

I have plugged and unplugged the usb , rebooted unraid - no change

Any suggestions  on how to solve the access problem

Thanks Joe

Any suggestions  on how to solve the access problem

Joe, I'm pretty new to unRAID having only recently started to use it but I had the same issue last night when trying out SNAP for the first time. 

You're correct about needing guest ok = yes to stop access denied / user & pass prompts.

"guest ok = yes" needs to be in /boot/config/smb-extra.conf.  My smb-extra.conf looks like this;

[global]
security = USER
guest account = nobody
public = yes
guest ok = yes
map to guest = bad user

[portable]
  path = /mnt/disk/portable
  read only = No

It's my understanding that when SNAP runs at boot, it creates the globals section from its own file "snap-global-template".  Alternatively, I assume you could add guest ok directly in the share section.

FWIW, I'm using a Pro version of unRAID v5.0b12a

overbyrn,

Thanks for the reply

if i manually add guest ok = yes in the [blueusb] and reboot - still no change

I plug / unplug usb stick - no change - access denied

I even tried another formatted usb stick called blueusb - But still get access denied,however, it does not ask for password

---------------------------------------------------------

I also went to the snap-global-template - which looks ok

[global]

security = USER

guest account = nobody

public = yes

guest ok = yes

map to guest = bad user

---------------------------------------------

my smb-extra.conf looks like this

[global]

security = USER

guest account = nobody

public = yes

guest ok = yes

map to guest = bad user

[blueusb]

path = /mnt/disk/blueusb

read only = No

Still not allowing me to view the usb stick..

I also run a 4.7 unraid server and snap works perfectly on it - so it appears to be related to unraid 5b12a permission differences.

Any  help would be appreciated - Thanks

Joe

couple of queries, have installed on 5b12a, seems to run

1) iphone/ipad do not appear in the usb devices list..... is this correct?. Would like to just plug in the iphones and it will backup to photos directory...

2) When mounting a flash usb drive for testing, I cant see the files on the drive - it disconnects when I click on the share (I'm using a mac with Lion osx). Looking at the permissions, the disk directory is 755 with owner "root root". The mounted drive is 760 and "root users". The other disk1-6 dirs are 770 and "nobody users" and subsequent directories (shares) are 770 and "nobody users". Remember, I'm using the 5b12a and I believe that ownerships have changed.

cheers

Tony 

Hi Tony,

When I was experimenting with my android phone I discovered that the phone doesn't make it's flash drive available automatically when plugging it in to a usb port.  After reading, it's a security issue.  If phones exposed their drive then noone would be able to recharge via a usb port without fear the phone getting hacked. 

So I had to press a menu button on the phone to expose the flash drive. 

Ok, well that's not so bad I guess.  But...linux only detected for the device when it's plugged in.  So when I press the button, linux doesn't look again and notice the drive device.  And that's where I am with that. 

I was working on a new version of SNAP to handle that issue and got bogged down researching how other linux (like ubuntu) handles it.  Then I decided that I'd wait until the new unRAID 5.0 version since it would probably mean I'd have to rewrite the stuff again.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I don't think this question has been answered. What happens on powerdown when I have drives snapped? Do I need to first unsnap the drives? I ask because I restarted my server this weekend and my one and only snapped drive was corrupted on reboot. It's a 256MB flash that was about 11% full. When i started up, it was 100% full and a bunch of my application files were corrupted. Luckily, I had a cronjob running nightly backing up the flash so I didn't loose any data.

Either way, I would like to know if I need to add anything to the powerdown script (and how if necessary) to unmount drives.

Thanks!

Unless there were open files when the system shut down I can't understand why it got corrupted.  Honestly, I have hard drives and flash drives that are always plugged in and have not experienced that.  It it formatted fat32?

New to this but would appreciate someone telling me what's wrong and why I can't mount an internal disk that I have in my server.  (its a disk thats not part of the unraid array).

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -m Top

Partition doesn't exist, cannot be mounted.

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# cat snap.list

9VMT8T11=Top

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -listDevInfo

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  1371  /dev/sdb  ata-SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J9CB303580

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1410  /dev/sdc  ata-SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J9CB303586

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1389  /dev/sdd  ata-SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J9CB303588

unRAID=No  SNAP=Yes 1347  /dev/hdb  ata-VB0250EAVER_9VMT8T11

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  1371  /dev/sdb  scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD204UIS2H7J9CB303580

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1410  /dev/sdc  scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD204UIS2H7J9CB303586

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1389  /dev/sdd  scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD204UIS2H7J9CB303588

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  1305  /dev/sda  usb-hp_v165w_AA04012700008621-0:0

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  1371/dev/sdb  wwn-0x50024e9204a8bfaf

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1410/dev/sdc  wwn-0x50024e9204a8c010

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No  1389/dev/sdd  wwn-0x50024e9204a8c03c

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes

81 heads, 63 sectors/track, 95707 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 5103 * 512 = 2612736 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0xc5930600

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

/dev/hdb1               1       95708   244197560   83  Linux

Please let me know if I can post some further information.

Regards,

EJ.

What's the filesystem on that partition?

A cache drive is used by unRAID to do caching for writes.  Snap drives are outside the unRAID array.  I suppose you can put applications on either.  You can't use a snap drive for caching.  You better not try hot swapping a cache drive.   

True, but under Share settings I select No for "Use cache disk:" and I assume it's not used for cache.  It just mounts the cache when it boots up.

I was never going to replace cache with a removable disk.

I was just wondering if there is any advantage to moving the apps disk I have to a SNAP mountable or leave assigned as the a non-caching cache drive.

I don't really have an opinion on it.  It might not be better either way.  Just different.

my 2 cents here...

I'm thinking of using snap to install and apps drive outside of the cache for the simple reason of having the cache available as a hot spare... just in case

does it make sense?

I just installed SNAP, no problems during the installation and i can see the share in my windows machine.

However, anything I put there gets the flag of system file and it's hidden in the windows client. I can see it in the console and with midnight commander but it's invisible in windows  ??? ???

any idea?

Thanks!

Unless there were open files when the system shut down I can't understand why it got corrupted.  Honestly, I have hard drives and flash drives that are always plugged in and have not experienced that.  It it formatted fat32?

I actually experienced this again last night. I restarted and the drive was 100% full. Seems to be when I restart with out shutting down Couch Potato (as the DIR size is ~4GB on restart), the drive gets corrupted (my fault for not shutting down). What I haven't tested is when all my apps (all 3) on my snapped drive are disabled and then I restart without unsnapping. I'll save that test for another weekend ;). I'm pretty sure you're right, if nothing was running when I restart, I'm 99.99% sure nothing would get corrupted.

if i manually add guest ok = yes in the [blueusb] and reboot - still no change

I plug / unplug usb stick - no change - access denied

I even tried another formatted usb stick called blueusb - But still get access denied,however, it does not ask for password

---------------------------------------------------------

I also went to the snap-global-template - which looks ok

[global]

security = USER

guest account = nobody

public = yes

guest ok = yes

map to guest = bad user

---------------------------------------------

my smb-extra.conf looks like this

[global]

security = USER

guest account = nobody

public = yes

guest ok = yes

map to guest = bad user

[blueusb]

path = /mnt/disk/blueusb

read only = No

Still not allowing me to view the usb stick..

Hi Joe,

As mentioned before I'm still finding my feet with unRAID and what lives where, calls what at the o/s level so I'm probably not the best person for this.  That said, the problem came back for me the other day but it's tricky to determine why as I've been messing with go scripts, mulitple reboots and the like.

I skimmed through snap.sh as I wanted to understand how smb-extra.conf is created and noticed in addition to 'snap-global-template' which is used to populate the Globals section, there's also a 'snap-xdrive-template" which is what creates the individual share sections.  I already had "guest ok = yes" in my globals section so I stuck it into 'snap-xdrive-template' too.  I tripped myself up at first as I edited it through Notepad++ on Win and I didn't have Unix format set and after re-running snap.sh -b, I still had the access denied message.

I'm comfortable in Vi (was just being lazy using Notepad++), so redid the edit in snap-xdrive-template and tried again.  This time I was able to see the share from my Win7 system.  Early days as I need to play around with it some more including using hotplug events, but perhaps said hack will work for you also?

What really prompted me to insert it at the share level was running testparm and seeing every unRAID share entry has a guest entry also.

queeg or others can likely offer a better opinion and perhaps my change would break other security models such as AD, but it seems to work for me (so far).

Regards,

Rich.

Overbyrn, (Rich)

I tried various things and looked at the files you suggested. modified some but no go... the good part is i know where some security stuff is.

Interestingly, I plugged one of my usb sticks in and bingo!! - i see it and can access files etc...

So i thought , yeah its working...... but when i plug several other usb sticks - they appeared but so did the Denied access.

Hmmm, what was different, Well, it turns out the one that worked was formatted as NTFS and the ones that did not work were all FAT32.

As soon as I Formatted the other usb sticks to NTFs they all appeared and no access problems.

Another oops bites the dust!!

All working fine now

Thanks for your help..

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome application, was able to connect a BlacX docking station to my server. Did a few tests to check speed when copying files.

Originally had it plugged into my windows machine and the drive is formatted in NTFS. Copied a 1Gb file, using windows explorer, from an unRaid share to the BlacX, plugged into my windows machine, as a windows drive, took ~ 2 minutes

Copied a 1Gb file, using windows explorer, from an unRaid share to the BlacX plugged into my unRaid server as a SNAP share, took  ~ 4 minutes

Copied a 1Gb file, using linux "cp" command in a telnet session, from an unRaid share to the BlacX plugged into my unRaid server as a SNAP share, took  ~ 30 seconds

Obviously the latter is the way to go. Is there a utility, similar to windows explorer, that allows me to easily copy files without having to type the command at the linux prompt?

I've heard of and "tried" MC, but it didn't seem to be working or I couldn't figure how to copy from one screen (left) to the other (right).

Thanks

Awesome application, was able to connect a BlacX docking station to my server. Did a few tests to check speed when copying files.

Originally had it plugged into my windows machine and the drive is formatted in NTFS. Copied a 1Gb file, using windows explorer, from an unRaid share to the BlacX, plugged into my windows machine, as a windows drive, took ~ 2 minutes

Copied a 1Gb file, using windows explorer, from an unRaid share to the BlacX plugged into my unRaid server as a SNAP share, took  ~ 4 minutes

Copied a 1Gb file, using linux "cp" command in a telnet session, from an unRaid share to the BlacX plugged into my unRaid server as a SNAP share, took  ~ 30 seconds

Obviously the latter is the way to go. Is there a utility, similar to windows explorer, that allows me to easily copy files without having to type the command at the linux prompt?

I've heard of and "tried" MC, but it didn't seem to be working or I couldn't figure how to copy from one screen (left) to the other (right).

Thanks

F5 to copy

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the disk has to have at least one partition with a supported filesystem on it.  I use unMenu to create a filesystem on my drives because it's easy.  If  you don't have unMenu installed then it's possible to format the drive from a telnet session.  SNAP can't format or create filesystems.  Let me know if you need help with that.

I'm not familiar with whatever silicon_medley_raid_member is.  Doesn't the drive have to be formatted to use it as a cache drive?

Hi queeg,

Maybe you can explain to me how to create a filesystem and format a drive I added in (both in Unmenu  and in a telnet session).

Hope you can help!

Thanks in advance.

I use unraid 4.7

Yes, the disk has to have at least one partition with a supported filesystem on it.  I use unMenu to create a filesystem on my drives because it's easy.  If  you don't have unMenu installed then it's possible to format the drive from a telnet session.  SNAP can't format or create filesystems.  Let me know if you need help with that.

I'm not familiar with whatever silicon_medley_raid_member is.  Doesn't the drive have to be formatted to use it as a cache drive?

Hi queeg,

Maybe you can explain to me how to create a filesystem and format a drive I added in (both in Unmenu  and in a telnet session).

Hope you can help!

Thanks in advance.

I use unraid 4.7

Have you tried looking on the Disk Management page in UNMENU?  I intentionally left the partitioning and formatting ability out of SNAP.  I'd suggest either doing that in Windows if your drive will be NTFS or using preclear_disk_sh to partition and UNMENU to format the drive.  If you need to format in telnet then look at the mkreiserfs command. 

Cheers.

I intentionally left the partitioning and formatting ability out of SNAP.  I'd suggest either doing that in Windows if your drive will be NTFS or using preclear_disk_sh to partition and UNMENU to format the drive.  If you need to format in telnet then look at the mkreiserfs command. 

Cheers.

I sometimes think I should have left it out of unMENU too, but then somebody would mis-use the mkreiserfs command on the wrong disk and clobber their data regardless. 

(not understanding that creating a file-system erased the existing data on the disk)

Almost like giving matches and dynamite to a teen-age kid.  Sooner or later, somebody's gonna get hurt.

I really like this application. I really adds flexibility and, after proper setup, ease of use to Unraid.

I ran into a problem though: I added a USB drive to snap, it got mounted, it shows up at mnt/disk/usb2. Disk Management tells me it is currently mounted as writable. I can access the drive in Midnight Commander. All seems pretty ok I think. But..... it doent't show up on my Windows PC, it simply isn't there. Other drives that I mounted with SNAP (2 eSATA drives and a USB drive are available on this PC, just this one isn't. Please help, is it an Unraid or SNAP error a sharing issue or just Windows acting crazy. I use Unraid 4.7

I really like this application. I really adds flexibility and, after proper setup, ease of use to Unraid.

I ran into a problem though: I added a USB drive to snap, it got mounted, it shows up at mnt/disk/usb2. Disk Management tells me it is currently mounted as writable. I can access the drive in Midnight Commander. All seems pretty ok I think. But..... it doent't show up on my Windows PC, it simply isn't there. Other drives that I mounted with SNAP (2 eSATA drives and a USB drive are available on this PC, just this one isn't. Please help, is it an Unraid or SNAP error a sharing issue or just Windows acting crazy. I use Unraid 4.7

I have seen drives not show up on rare occasions and I'm not totally sure if it was the Samba on linux or if Windows was caching the view.  Eventually in some cases I end up rebooting unRAID and after that I think it usually fixes itself.  Then after it has fixed itself it tends to never happen again.  And it's kinda tough to reproduce the event.  Try rebooting.  Sorry it's not a very conclusive answer. 

I made a mistake while mounting a drive in SNAP and I'm not sure how to correct the situation. This is first time I've used SNAP so forgive me if I'm diagnosing the problem incorrectly.

I mounted a drive using the snap.sh -a command but I neglected to add a share name. A listDevInfo call shows the drive as recognized by snap (ie SNAP=Yes)

However there is no entry for it in the mnt directory and I seem to have no way to access it. I tried using the -M option to unmount it and got the following response:

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -M WD-WCAZA2105782

Unsharing

umount: /mnt/disk/: not found

rmdir: /mnt/disk/: No such file or directory

has been unmounted...

I've tried rebooting but it remounts the disk.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to proceed. Would uninstalling and reinstalling SNAP solve the problem?

Thanks.

I made a mistake while mounting a drive in SNAP and I'm not sure how to correct the situation. This is first time I've used SNAP so forgive me if I'm diagnosing the problem incorrectly.

I mounted a drive using the snap.sh -a command but I neglected to add a share name. A listDevInfo call shows the drive as recognized by snap (ie SNAP=Yes)

However there is no entry for it in the mnt directory and I seem to have no way to access it. I tried using the -M option to unmount it and got the following response:

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -M WD-WCAZA2105782

Unsharing

umount: /mnt/disk/: not found

rmdir: /mnt/disk/: No such file or directory

has been unmounted...

I've tried rebooting but it remounts the disk.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to proceed. Would uninstalling and reinstalling SNAP solve the problem?

Thanks.

You should be able to remove the entry by using

snap -r yourserialnumber

Then you can add it back again using the sharename.