[support] Vaultwarden (formerly Bitwarden_rs)

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but in unRAID, updating docker containers is very simple. If you go to DOCKER you will get a notification that a docker container is available for update and then just click update and you are done. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an issue, my cache device failed and I loss my appdata dockers. So I installed a new one, did a backup restore.

Now when I go to the web gui of Vaultwarden, I am asked for an API key. I see there is one in the container config file but I don't remember to have filled this as I usually note theses elsewhere in case. Now I can't find that.

Is there a default one or a way to recover ? (I still have local data since it's just not syncing across device since it failed).

Thank you

15 hours ago, Watever said:

I have an issue, my cache device failed and I loss my appdata dockers. So I installed a new one, did a backup restore.

Now when I go to the web gui of Vaultwarden, I am asked for an API key. I see there is one in the container config file but I don't remember to have filled this as I usually note theses elsewhere in case. Now I can't find that.

Is there a default one or a way to recover ? (I still have local data since it's just not syncing across device since it failed).

Thank you

If someone have the same issue, you can check your restore file with the XML. You should have an admin token there.

Then you can enter it and after remember to replace it. If it's older, you will have a warning to create a stronger one, with Argon2id probably.

Just try to remember that one ;)

On 7/17/2023 at 3:56 AM, yogy said:

You can take a look for admin key in /mnt/user/appdata/vaultwarden/config.json. Use cat command in front of the path and you will see your admin token in plain text.

Just FYI. Don't use admin page over the internet. Block it. It should only be accessible via your LAN.

If you are using your own domain via Cloudflare, just take a look at my guide how to create Cloudflare tunnel (Zero Trust) for reverse proxy and how to secure your admin page via internet.

sorry for the delay in this. I took at look for the config.json file and I don't seem to have one. 

So, I appear to be going in circles. I'm going to stop where I'm at, and stick with what I have, but I need to get an issue resolved. 

I've torn down the cloudflare tunnel and went back to port forwarding, using a reverse proxy with nginx, and cloudflare. Here are the steps and the settings I've used. 

setting up cloudflare: I already had my domain moved over and handled by cloudflare, so I didn't need to do anything here, but my first step was to setup  new api token. within cloudflare I clicked on profile>api tokens> create token > edit zones > change token name > zone resources > all zones > continue to summary > create token. 

it was at this stage I copied the test and pasted into the unraid servers terminal. It appears to have passed with no issues. I copied the api token. 

setting up nginx: installed nginx on unraid. I updated the HTTP and HTTPs ports to 1880 and 18443. luanched the UI and first step was to create a ssl certificate. Add ssl cert > lets encrypt > domain names > *.domainname.com > email address > use dns challenge > provider > cloudflare> inserted api token from cloudflare

setting up vaultwarden: installed vaultwarden, simply set signup to true. 

setting up cloudflare ddns: installed cloudflare-DDNS. configured it with my email that associated with cloudflare, set the doman, and provided the global api key from cloudflare's website. clicked done. Went to cloudflare and verified that the A record has been created. 

setting up reverse proxy: visted cloudflare > clicked on domain > dns records > added cname for warden

image.thumb.png.2c6d95eaa95be5efa03a32cfd16c0c04.png

next I went to nginx proxy manager and added a new proxy host. 

image.png.d15b36cb460ee8baaa266ade859bd379.pngimage.png.407fddb83027fe81442cf14ebdfe3945.png

after which I click on the link and I get this error

image.png.c788b3eb5db1a3548080733282ecf1cb.png

if I click on docker and select webui, I'm now able to gain access to the vaultwarden admin, thanks to @yogy's suggestion for updating the admin token. However if I click vault, I get a login, but when I attempt to access it with my password. I get this error. image.png.972cac87945e52dfa32f0708b64f0cc6.png

which doesn't make sense, as I believe I've configured my reverse proxy correctly. 

Any insights?

1 hour ago, yogy said:

What port is in docker settings (see picture bellow). Do you use Let's Encrypt for your certificate? If it's the same as mine, change https to http in NginxProxyManager and save.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 120748.png

currently its set to 8443, as I mentioned. So, I reset it back to 4743, like yours. I then set nginx to 4743 again, but switched it to http. Which I've done in the past. However, I got the same results. 

Hmm, I'm out of options here. I would recommend to check also your DDNS settings. Try to install some other app (something simple like qbittorrent) with access to the internet, setup another CNAME in Cloudflare, add another host to NPM and test if the resault is the same as for vaultwarden (warden subdomain). If it's the same I would start with DDNS settings and also check the certificate.

On 6/29/2023 at 7:57 PM, bluepoet said:

having problems with vaultwarden as of late.  I have been having crashing on my unraid box since the last couple of updates.  I saw an post for dockers to change from macvlan to ipvlan if you have static IPs for dockers and that it will resolve the issue.  Since that change vaultwarden will not load up.  Any suggestions>

[2023-06-29 17:52:54.310][panic][ERROR] thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to turn on WAL: DatabaseError(Unknown, "disk I/O error")': src/db/mod.rs:447

That is what I get in the logs 

I am experiencing a similar issue that started after upgrading to Unraid 6.12.4. I am not aware of any correlation between the upgrade and the docker operation; however, i do not want to prematurely rule it out. The message i see in the log file is:

[2023-09-13 21:56:19.307][panic][ERROR] thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to turn on WAL: DatabaseError(Unknown, "unable to open database file")': src/db/mod.rs:447

Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Thanks.

On 9/13/2023 at 10:10 PM, CrookedAutobot said:

I am experiencing a similar issue that started after upgrading to Unraid 6.12.4. I am not aware of any correlation between the upgrade and the docker operation; however, i do not want to prematurely rule it out. The message i see in the log file is:

[2023-09-13 21:56:19.307][panic][ERROR] thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to turn on WAL: DatabaseError(Unknown, "unable to open database file")': src/db/mod.rs:447

Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Thanks.

Apparently, it was an issue with a Docker setting. The "IPv4 custom network on interface br0 (optional):" option was checked by default when the Unraid upgrade was installed.  Unchecking this allowed the docker containers to work as expected.image.thumb.png.e162c78c0d4233c8016c338b3e725e8c.png

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question about backup and potential restore. So i have vaultwarden set up for myself and have about 5-10 friends and family members having their accounts on this instance as well. Given the disastrous consequences of loosing access to all this data, I thought of some sort of backup solution, just in case. So the way I have configured it currently is I use Appdata Backup plugin to automagically do the copy of entire appdata/valutwarden folder on nightly basis. Then I set up rcolne to have it copy to a remote cloud every morning.

Now my question basically is this: Is having the entire appdata/valutwarden folder copy enough to restore everything back to where it was from the last backup?

And also if this is enough, in the event of potential rebuilt do I just go and install fresh new instance of vaultwarden container and replace all files in appdata/valutwarden from backup copy? I would really like to be sure that what I am doing now is enough and restoring in case of emergency would be a breeze. All comments and hints most appreciated.

Edited by Januszmirek
19 hours ago, Stubbs said:

How do you refresh the admin token? Mine isn't working and I cannot login as an admin.

I tried using what was in the .json file in appdata, but it did not work.

Is your token in plane text or hashed. If it's in plane text just replace with another, restart the container and it should work with a new one.

Hi everyone,

Just noticed I've lost a few entries after restoring my container from backup.

Unfortunately my array drive died (SSD so no parity) but I wasn't too worried as I had backups.

I was keen to see how Vaultwarden would go as I'd read that the apps and browser extensions would keep a copy and sync back when it can.

There are only 3 entries but not sure why these didn't update to the container.

I have 2 other devices so disconnected them from the net before opening the app and I can see them there (216 entries vs 213).

Will the logs show what's happening if I let one of them sync?

Anyone seeing sync issues with Android? I just noticed my Asus Zenfone 9 hasn't synced successfully since 9/26, and the brand new Pixel 8 Pro is seeing the same issue. Syncing still works fine on my PC, mac, and browser extensions, but fail on both Android phones. I can sign into my account just fine, it just seems to be syncing that's broken.

My Vaultwarden is running with reverse proxy with HSTS/HTTPS enabled.

Edited by jinra