Jump to content
SpencerJ

Help Take the Fight to COVID-19 with BOINC and Folding@home

296 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mattekure said:

Since putting those restrictions on, I have had very stable processing and no out of memory errors.

Restricting docker extra param alone will not prevent BOINC from using too much memory. It would just kill a BONIC process with OOM error when running above the limit.

You also need to adjust the % memory parameter from within BOINC. Apparently it detects your full system memory instead of the amount you restrict the docker with. E.g. for my system with 96GB RAM, I put a limit of 10%-11% to keep memory usage to about 12GB.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Restricting docker extra param alone will not prevent BOINC from using too much memory. It would just kill a BONIC process with OOM error when running above the limit.

You also need to adjust the % memory parameter from within BOINC. Apparently it detects your full system memory instead of the amount you restrict the docker with. E.g. for my system with 96GB RAM, I put a limit of 10%-11% to keep memory usage to about 12GB.

very good point I forgot to mention.  Thanks.  Within BOINC I also limit the RAM usage so it never goes above 50% of my 32Gb.

 

image.png.ec4907175da92290f454b9fc613435c6.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, saarg said:

The shortage is caused by the hoarding and I guess most of the hospitals don't have a large stock as they weren't prepared for this. The whole world wants to buy, so it's no wonder it's hard to get protective gear.

It is all business related. Inventory is evil. At least in the US.

No money in extra anything.

Parts,hospital beds,doctors,employees, and Ammo for Government. Not enough manufacturing capacity.

Drill more oil wells For Energy independence. Lies to supply more oil to the world.

Remember Exxon makes less money per gallon than the US government.

Must be why we need pipe line from the middle of Canada to the Golf of Mexico.

Lord knows no one in the US needs any oil.

Sorry for the rant.

At least they quit saying it's a global economy.

3/4 of the world makes dinner over fire wood.

Think about it.

Edited by spazmc
spelling

Share this post


Link to post

I'm having an annoying problem. 

The Boinc docker is crashing my other dockers because it's eating all the ram. I already dropped the CPU to 75% but it manages to eat 5GB of ram. I have 8gb only. 

 

Where do I limit the ram for this little puppy

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, gacpac said:

I'm having an annoying problem. 

The Boinc docker is crashing my other dockers because it's eating all the ram. I already dropped the CPU to 75% but it manages to eat 5GB of ram. I have 8gb only. 

 

Where do I limit the ram for this little puppy

The best place is in the Options->Computing Preferences.  Look for the tab Disk and memory.  Calculate what % of the ram you want it to be able to use and input that number in the bottom section.  For example, you have 8gb, and say you want the docker to use 3gb.  you would put 3/8 = 37%.  that will prevent it from using too much.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, mattekure said:

The best place is in the Options->Computing Preferences.  Look for the tab Disk and memory.  Calculate what % of the ram you want it to be able to use and input that number in the bottom section.  For example, you have 8gb, and say you want the docker to use 3gb.  you would put 3/8 = 37%.  that will prevent it from using too much.

Thanks!! Although I had it setup for 50% and 90% when not in use. It was leaving nothing available for other apps. I set it exactly to use 37%

 

Also good question. Is it possible to do it at the docker level for other apps?

Share this post


Link to post

also remember that "not in use" for boinc means no keyboard/mouse activity.  so with unraid, it would always register as not in use.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, mattekure said:

also remember that "not in use" for boinc means no keyboard/mouse activity.  so with unraid, it would always register as not in use.

That i figured. So I configured daily schedules. But If I'm going to keep doing this, I gotta up my ram at least to 16gb. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, gacpac said:

That i figured. So I configured daily schedules. But If I'm going to keep doing this, I gotta up my ram at least to 16gb. 

I have 12 cores/threads running BOINC on one server and it is only using about 4GB RAM.  It's been running for several days.  I did set an 8GB limit at the docker level. That server has 64GB RAM

 

On another server, I am running 6 cores/threads on BOINC, I set no RAM limit on the docker (server has 32GB) and it is using 4.55GB.  It has also been running for days, but I am running nothing else on that server.

 

On a third server, I am running 3 cores and it is using 3.9GB RAM (server has 16GB) and I limited it to 8GB in the docker container.  Again, nothing other than BOINC is running on that server.

 

Docker limits seem to have some effect on RAM usage although not total control.

 

You are probably running more BOINC threads than I am.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I have 12 cores/threads running BOINC on one server and it is only using about 4GB RAM.  It's been running for several days.  I did set an 8GB limit at the docker level. That server has 64GB RAM

 

On another server, I am running 6 cores/threads on BOINC, I set no RAM limit on the docker (server has 32GB) and it is using 4.55GB.  It has also been running for days, but I am running nothing else on that server.

 

On a third server, I am running 3 cores and it is using 3.9GB RAM (server has 16GB) and I limited it to 8GB in the docker container.  Again, nothing other than BOINC is running on that server.

 

Docker limits seem to have some effect on RAM usage although not total control.

 

You are probably running more BOINC threads than I am.

 

I don't know. I had it set up from default settings. But you also have way more ram than me and probably processing speed.

I have an i5-6400 (a quad core) with 8GB. 

Plus several containers that maybe use 2 gb all together

binhex-krusader, DiskSpeed, PlexMediaServer, sonarr, radarr, netdata, phpmyadmin, speedtest, mariadb, nextcloud, Transmission_VPN, letsencrypt, jackett, tautulli, QDirStat,Boinc

Share this post


Link to post

I saw the banner from limetech and installed boinc yesterday on my 2 Xeon Unraid servers.

One interesting side note, on the bakerlab.org website you can see the Unraid hardware of the Unraid team members.

Lots of CPU power we have as a group!

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know if there's a way to download (cache) extra GPU work units to keep my video card busy?  Most of the time all my GPUs are idle.

Share this post


Link to post

Don't have too powerful of a server but got some of my CPU doing work, along with my 1050Ti.

 

folding for covid-19-resize.png

Edited by bnevets27

Share this post


Link to post

If you notice that your Rosetta@Home BOINC client isnt getting any work units, its because of the MASSIVE number of new users who have joined in, including a bunch of us.  

 

They went from around 150,000 GigaFLOPS before the virus, to over 570,000 GigaFLOPS now.  If you take a look at the server status, scroll down to the "Tasks by application" section, they have largely run out of tasks to issue.  There are currently 1139105 tasks currently in process.

 

https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/server_status.php

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, mattekure said:

They went from around 150,000 GigaFLOPS before the virus, to over 570,000 GigaFLOPS now.  If you take a look at the server status, scroll down to the "Tasks by application" section, they have largely run out of tasks to issue.  There are currently 1139105 tasks currently in process.

Imagine we take all that power & create the  MINECTAFT matrix server :)

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, mattekure said:

If you notice that your Rosetta@Home BOINC client isnt getting any work units, its because of the MASSIVE number of new users who have joined in, including a bunch of us.  

 

I have three servers running BOINC and they all currently have tasks waiting in the queue. However there are only two task waiting on two of the servers and only five on the third.  There used to be a lot more in the queue on all of them.  I suspect I will soon run out of tasks unless a bunch more show up in the next 8 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

 

I have three servers running BOINC and they all currently have tasks waiting in the queue. However there are only two task waiting on two of the servers and only five on the third.  There used to be a lot more in the queue on all of them.  I suspect I will soon run out of tasks unless a bunch more show up in the next 8 hours.

Mine is the same.  I have 6 queued up, but usually I have twice that many.

Share this post


Link to post
As of 31 Mar 2020, 7:07:51 UTC [ Scheduler running ]
Total queued jobs:	257,174
In progress:		1,222,333
Successes last 24h:	694,612

Looks like it's back up!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.