Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes I've seen that, still if I change the samba security settings for example the remote shares become shared even if they're set to no, and I still can't write to that share hours later and after multiple tries...

Be sure you are updated to the latest UD version.

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

and I still can't write to that share hours later and after multiple tries...

Which share?

Post diagnostics zip file.

7 hours ago, dlandon said:

Be sure you are updated to the latest UD version.

Yep I am, though there was an update since the drive was formatted

7 hours ago, dlandon said:

Which share?

Post diagnostics zip file.

Both the info and diag were in my previous post.

I just found the issue, after formatting the mount directory that was created was owned by root, and all files put in there later on unraid itself are owned by root as well as a result so can't read/write from the filesystem, not the share. Changing owner of the WCJ1C9EP mount directory (and already existing files) to nobody solved it.

Edited by Kilrah
On 7/10/2022 at 1:20 AM, wgstarks said:

It’s set globally in settings>unassigned devices>enable SMB security. Select Yes (Hidden).

Yeah, thank you. I posted my question, after found setting and enabled what I need. I don’t know how I missed this initially

Edited by J05u

Hi all,
I hope this is the right thread to ask foa help with UD.

I have been using it for a while but in last few months I am not able to access the shared drive from windows.
image.thumb.png.ef910416128e517fb9876752284eca4d.png

\\VAULT\CCTV    is the path i am trying to use in windows. Also tried \\VAULT\mnt\disks\CCTV

Things i tried:

1. Unmount -> Mount
  2. Disable -> Enable share on device
  3. Rename mapping to something else

only thing that did work is the workarround from some other post were i would expose the share from command line, but that then needs to be remembered and causes some other issues later down the line...

I am trying to get to the bottom of why the share is not appearing

Any pointers what i could try more apprechiated,

40 minutes ago, Jus said:

Hi all,
I hope this is the right thread to ask foa help with UD.

I have been using it for a while but in last few months I am not able to access the shared drive from windows.
image.thumb.png.ef910416128e517fb9876752284eca4d.png

\\VAULT\CCTV    is the path i am trying to use in windows. Also tried \\VAULT\mnt\disks\CCTV

Things i tried:

1. Unmount -> Mount
  2. Disable -> Enable share on device
  3. Rename mapping to something else

only thing that did work is the workarround from some other post were i would expose the share from command line, but that then needs to be remembered and causes some other issues later down the line...

I am trying to get to the bottom of why the share is not appearing

Any pointers what i could try more apprechiated,

Check the UD Setting for SMB Share.  "No" turns off sharing.

7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Check the UD Setting for SMB Share.  "No" turns off sharing.

Ye its on "YES",

I actually even tried to make it PUBLIC some days ago but that didnt help either.

Its like windows have now idea about UD share.

image.png

29 minutes ago, dlandon said:

You are not having issues with any Unraid shares?

No other (actual unraid shares) work as expected. Also when i enable FTP Server in unraid, then i can access the directories that i am missing /mnt/disks/CCTV but only through FTP.

32 minutes ago, Jus said:

No other (actual unraid shares) work as expected. Also when i enable FTP Server in unraid, then i can access the directories that i am missing /mnt/disks/CCTV but only through FTP.

Use this command to look at the samba share configuration for the UD CCTV share:

cat /etc/samba/unassigned.devices/CCTV

You'll see the user permissions, etc for the CCTV share.  You may see something there that gives a clue on the issue you are seeing.  Post it here so I can have a look if you don't see anything obvious.

31 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Use this command to look at the samba share configuration for the UD CCTV share:

cat /etc/samba/unassigned.devices/CCTV

You'll see the user permissions, etc for the CCTV share.  You may see something there that gives a clue on the issue you are seeing.  Post it here so I can have a look if you don't see anything obvious.

Hmmm.. just running that in console?

No such directory, but:

image.png.192888f16f9b43bfddf2073671524d58.png

And inside looks like:
 image.png.c188578036fa70ae1d15e4470fdb04f2.png

Edited by Jus
1 minute ago, Jus said:

Hmmm.. just running that in console?

My bad.  You did the right directory.

The share configuration is set up correctly.  As you can see only 'jus' has read and write access.

At a command line type this command:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

Give it a few minutes and then see if you can see the share.

If that doesn't work, post your diagnostics zip file.

5 minutes ago, dlandon said:

My bad.  You did the right directory.

The share configuration is set up correctly.  As you can see only 'jus' has read and write access.

At a command line type this command:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

Give it a few minutes and then see if you can see the share.

If that doesn't work, post your diagnostics zip file.

Ye didnt work... Tried with both users and unasigned: 
jus
cctv
nobody

here is the sys Diagnostics:

vault-diagnostics-20220711-2326.zip

On 7/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, dlandon said:

If Linux doesn't see the file system, UD can't mount it.

You could put the drive in a Windows PC, share it, and mount it as a remote share using UD.  Then copy the files over the network using SMB,

That didnt work, I ended going on a windows PC, saw that it was just a basic volume, no partition, and so I shrank it and now can mount.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 180508.png

2 hours ago, Jus said:

Ye didnt work... Tried with both users and unasigned: 
jus
cctv
nobody

here is the sys Diagnostics:

vault-diagnostics-20220711-2326.zip 136.09 kB · 0 downloads

Your smb-extra.conf file is corrupted:

#unassigned_devices_start
#Unassigndd devices shave includes:  (iîclude = /tmp/unassinned/derices/smb-settings.conf
#unassig.ed_deviães_gnd

Go to Settings->SMB->SMB Extras tab and remove the corrupted text and click 'Apply'.  Then uninstall UD and re-install it.  The text will be corrected when UD is re-installed.

You should probably take your flash drive to a PC and run a check to see if there are other issues with the file system.

@dlandon Sorry, it's me again. This time with something that must have been introduced with the latest update of UD on 20220704. To make the details complete, the plugin User Scripts is dated 20211128.

After the UD update the following User Scripts produce errors. I'm pretty sure that worked until the UD update:

The script:

#!/bin/bash
#backgroundOnly=true
#clearLog=true

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount //192.168.178.101/disk1

The error:

sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
sh: -c: line 1: `/bin/chmod 0777 escapeshellarg(/mnt/remotes/192.168.178.101_disk1) 2>/dev/null'
sh: -c: line 1: `/bin/chown 99 escapeshellarg(/mnt/remotes/192.168.178.101_disk1) 2>/dev/null'
sh: -c: line 1: `/bin/chgrp 100 escapeshellarg(/mnt/remotes/192.168.178.101_disk1) 2>/dev/null'

Could you please check that?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hawihoney
9 hours ago, dlandon said:

Your smb-extra.conf file is corrupted:

#unassigned_devices_start
#Unassigndd devices shave includes:  (iîclude = /tmp/unassinned/derices/smb-settings.conf
#unassig.ed_deviães_gnd

Go to Settings->SMB->SMB Extras tab and remove the corrupted text and click 'Apply'.  Then uninstall UD and re-install it.  The text will be corrected when UD is re-installed.

You should probably take your flash drive to a PC and run a check to see if there are other issues with the file system.

BINGO!!!

it worked :)

I had to edit the file from comand line as it was not showing texts in the settings but after that and UnInstall >> Install UD text updated and share is accessible from windows.

Thank YOU!!! This has been boggling me for months... and now i know that a full check of USB stick is a good idea to see if there are any more of the corrupt text occurances.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:51 PM, SonicHeresy said:

I was having a similar issue. Was a permissions issue in a place I least expected. Check the permission on the device disk itself. For some odd reason, mine were reset back to only root having access and Group and Other were set to NO ACCESS, instead of read-write.

I fixed a bug that might be related to this issue.  The mount point permissions were not being set because of a syntax issue in UD.

10 hours ago, gyrene2083 said:

Good Evening, 

Earlier today I had a problem with SMBPASSED DATABASE CORRUPT, and as per I followed the Lost root password guide and deleted the following files; 

config/passwd

config/shadow

config/smbpasswd

I now can not mount my unassigned disk. I have provided my diagnostics file below. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

jiraiya-diagnostics-20220713-2107.zip 186.13 kB · 0 downloads

Your disk has a problem:

Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya unassigned.devices: Adding partition 'sdj1'...
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sdj1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/UA_POOL'...
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'btrfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/UA_POOL'
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya kernel: BTRFS info (device sdj1): flagging fs with big metadata feature
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya kernel: BTRFS info (device sdj1): disk space caching is enabled
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya kernel: BTRFS info (device sdj1): has skinny extents
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya kernel: BTRFS error (device sdj1): devid 2 uuid c7264057-941e-45fd-895a-f3329a76976f is missing
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya kernel: BTRFS error (device sdj1): failed to read chunk tree: -2
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya kernel: BTRFS error (device sdj1): open_ctree failed
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sdj1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/UA_POOL: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdj1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya unassigned.devices: Partition 'Z5215WMY' cannot be mounted.

This is an error that is caused by an update to UD Preclear:

Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya atd[11438]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib64/security/pam_unix.so): /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /lib64/libresolv.so.2)
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya atd[11438]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib64/security/pam_unix.so
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya atd[11438]: Module is unknown
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya atd[11445]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib64/security/pam_unix.so): /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /lib64/libresolv.so.2)
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya atd[11445]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib64/security/pam_unix.so
Jul 13 21:05:34 Jiraiya atd[11445]: Module is unknown

Be sure UD Preclear is updated to the latest version and reboot to clear this up.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:21 AM, dlandon said:

I fixed a bug that might be related to this issue.  The mount point permissions were not being set because of a syntax issue in UD.

Can confirm the update fixed the issue. All new devices have the correct disk permission. Many thanks for the quick fix!