Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

26 minutes ago, Griz said:

Sorry that I offended you.  Your plugin adds a lot of value to unraid and I appreciate the work you do for all of us for no compensation.

No offense taken.  The notification system comes from too many users not updating and we end up providing support for a problem an update resolves.

42 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The notification system comes from too many users not updating and we end up providing support for a problem an update resolves.

Like Griz, I also keep things on a stable platform, and do regular updates to the system as needed for major bugs/changes on a schedule. Having this notification override everything indicates there is a critical issue, not a minor change.

This should not be the norm/default. At a minimum there should be an option to allow users to allow it to use the unraid settings. Bypassing unraid settings and forcing your own will upon users is akin to full-screen advertisements.

Some of us understand how to manage our servers, and don't need or want your notifications for every change. Some of these are multiple times a day.

Practically speaking -- this is an issue that needs to be addressed to LimeTech, not to dlandon. This plugin is using the officially sanctioned method for plugins to invoke update checks, as defined by:

Since (as per the note) this is an official part of Unraid, LimeTech would have to address the concern. Personally, I'm bothered by the fact that this API ignores the "Allow CA to check for updates to applications" setting in Apps... granted, Unraid isn't exactly a model example of security, but if I explicitly say "no, do not check for updates" and the system ignores it, then I think that's an issue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a problem since the latest update. My SMB Security had been reset to No, so I had no shared drive on the network. I've now changed this to Public:

image.thumb.png.0b89ce245a3c38a397325aa9d0133b07.png

And the share is showing as mounted:

image.png.64216040115cd4586da397a8905ab6c3.png

The share shows on my PC, and I can get to it in /mnt/disks/LiveBackup from a shell, but in both places the disk shows as empty, 0 files. If I connect the disk directly to my PC it has content.

This also happens when listing files in the folder:

root@unRAIDpvr:/mnt/disks/LiveBackup# ls -al
/bin/ls: reading directory '.': Input/output error
total 0

Any ideas where the problem is? Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Rick Gillyon said:

I have a problem since the latest update. My SMB Security had been reset to No, so I had no shared drive on the network. I've now changed this to Public:

image.thumb.png.0b89ce245a3c38a397325aa9d0133b07.png

And the share is showing as mounted:

image.png.64216040115cd4586da397a8905ab6c3.png

The share shows on my PC, and I can get to it in /mnt/disks/LiveBackup from a shell, but in both places the disk shows as empty, 0 files. If I connect the disk directly to my PC it has content.

This also happens when listing files in the folder:

root@unRAIDpvr:/mnt/disks/LiveBackup# ls -al
/bin/ls: reading directory '.': Input/output error
total 0

Any ideas where the problem is? Thanks!

Post diagnostics.

3 hours ago, Rick Gillyon said:

One of your UD disks is having problems, but it is not the one in question:

Apr 16 20:02:04 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:04 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read of MFT, mft=27 count=1 br=-1: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:04 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Could not decode the type of inode 27
Apr 16 20:02:04 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:04 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read index block: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read of MFT, mft=27 count=1 br=-1: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Could not decode the type of inode 27
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read index block: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 786459, async page read
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 1178, async page read
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 786459, async page read
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 1178, async page read
Apr 16 20:09:43 unRAIDpvr unassigned.devices: Refreshed Disks and Configuration.
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read of MFT, mft=27 count=1 br=-1: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Could not decode the type of inode 27
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read index block: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 786459, async page read
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 1178, async page read

I would do the following:

• Unmount the disk.
  • Click on the check mark icon for the disk and run a file system check.
  • Reboot if that doesn't work.

Is there a chance you removed the disk before it was unmounted?

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

One of your UD disks is having problems, but it is not the one in question:

Apr 16 20:02:04 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read of MFT, mft=27 count=1 br=-1: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:04 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Could not decode the type of inode 27
Apr 16 20:02:04 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read index block: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read of MFT, mft=27 count=1 br=-1: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Could not decode the type of inode 27
Apr 16 20:02:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read index block: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:09:43 unRAIDpvr unassigned.devices: Refreshed Disks and Configuration.
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read of MFT, mft=27 count=1 br=-1: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Could not decode the type of inode 27
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr  ntfs-3g[17149]: Failed to read index block: Input/output error
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 786459, async page read
Apr 16 20:12:05 unRAIDpvr kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 1178, async page read

I would do the following:

• Unmount the disk.
  • Click on the check mark icon for the disk and run a file system check.
  • Reboot if that doesn't work.

Is there a chance you removed the disk before it was unmounted?

sdb1 is an array disk, not a UD disk. I'll run a check on it, thanks.

Greeting Everyone

I am using Duplicacy for backup. Because the client has some issues with the internet, it is difficult to upload a backups, so I want to make a backup using a USB 4TB OneTouch drive. The issue I am having is that apparently, Duplicacy requires permission to write on it. Can someone direct me to the write direction where to allow this permission? 

Thank You

Capture.JPG

After I updated to UD 2023.04.15 I found it behaved differently in the following aspect:

I did not enable "share" for any of the unassigned devices or mounted SMB or NFS shares. So as expected, before the update, none of these were shared. After the update, the mounted SMB and NFS shares are all shared via SMB (haven't checked NFS).

Is this intentional? To me this is unexpected and I don't know how to turn this off, as "share" is already for all the mounted SMB and NFS shares.

I found that if I enable "share" and straight away disable "share", this will make the sharing go away again. So, fixable, but at least unexpected and I suspect - also unintended.

Edited by murkus
46 minutes ago, Navarro IT Solutions said:

Greeting Everyone

I am using Duplicacy for backup. Because the client has some issues with the internet, it is difficult to upload a backups, so I want to make a backup using a USB 4TB OneTouch drive. The issue I am having is that apparently, Duplicacy requires permission to write on it. Can someone direct me to the write direction where to allow this permission? 

Thank You

Capture.JPG

Your backup appears to be trying to create a directory at /mnt/disks/, which is a problem.  Check your backup directory mapping.

46 minutes ago, murkus said:

After I updated to UD 2023.04.15 I found it behaved differently in the following aspect:

I did not enable "share" for any of the unassigned devices or mounted SMB or NFS shares. So as expected, before the update, none of these were shared. After the update, the mounted SMB and NFS shares are all shared via SMB (haven't checked NFS).

Is this intentional? To me this is unexpected and I don't know how to turn this off, as "share" is already for all the mounted SMB and NFS shares.

I found that if I enable "share" and straight away disable "share", this will make the sharing go away again. So, fixable, but at least unexpected and I suspect - also unintended.

UD does not change any settings for sharing.  Verify that the "Auto Mount USB Devices?" is set to "No".

Screenshot 2023-04-16 201102.png

1 minute ago, Navarro IT Solutions said:

Hi, What I want to do is to Duplicacy store backup data in that storage. I place does line there, yet have issue with permission. 

You can't write to /mnt/disks/.  From the error message, it looks like your backup is trying to write there instead of /mnt/disks/One_Touch/.  That's why you have a permission issue.

9 hours ago, dlandon said:

UD does not change any settings for sharing.  Verify that the "Auto Mount USB Devices?" is set to "No".

Screenshot 2023-04-16 201102.png

yes is is set to No. Remember, the Share setting got changed for the shares that were mounted from remote servers, not for USB devices. Hence, I do not see the connection of the question to the issue.

38 minutes ago, murkus said:

yes is is set to No. Remember, the Share setting got changed for the shares that were mounted from remote servers, not for USB devices. Hence, I do not see the connection of the question to the issue.

UD does not change that setting.

20 minutes ago, murkus said:

If you say so. You have been informed. Thats all I can do.

So I am able to reproduce the issue.  UD is not making any changes,  but now the default seems to be to share, which it is not supposed to do.  The default happens when a device is set up and the 'Share' switch is never changed.  None of the recent changes should have altered this, but apparently something changed.  I'll issue an update sometime today or tomorrow since this is a security issue.  It's a security issue because remote shares will be shared without user intervention, as you found out.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

So I am able to reproduce the issue.  UD is not making any changes,  but now the default seems to be to share, which it is not supposed to do.  The default happens when a device is set up and the 'Share' switch is never changed.  None of the recent changes should have altered this, but apparently something changed.  I'll issue an update sometime today or tomorrow since this is a security issue.  It's a security issue because remote shares will be shared without user intervention, as you found out.

correct. the share switches were "off", still the sharing did happen. so this is consistent with what you found.

20 hours ago, dlandon said:

I installed your update and then it happened again. Not sure if your update really fixes this...

I've previously had 1 unassigned device, with one created share being shared via SMB.  I also had a user-pool.rootshare that was being share via SMB.   After the recent update I noticed my Windows and Linux boxes had no access to these shares.  I checked the UD settings for each share and the "Share" was toggled off.   I toggled it on for both of these devices, however, they are still unavailable via SMB from Windows or Linux.   I completely removed the rootshare and re-added, with no success.  I also rebooted the server.    The shares exist in /mnt/user/disks and /mnt/remotes, and the share names are working internally for scripts that use the UD share names.  But I cannot access them over the network.    Any assistance is appreciated.  

I've attached diagnostics after recent reboot.  Both of the drive share and rootshare are currently flagged with "Share" on.   When I browse to the server URL via SMB it doesn't show either share created with UD, where they were previously.

unraid-diagnostics-20230418-1736.zip