Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

7 hours ago, Koenig said:

It will eventually get updated, but probably not until there´s a 6.12.1 stable.

If that is the only course of action we have to wait, it is not like I will forget the issue anyway as there's plenty to remind me in the log ;-)

I'm out of ideas.

I have been getting these errors non stop in my logs for a while now.  So far everything looks like its working but its related to my non-array disk i use for my Zoneminder install (cameras)

May 3 16:34:22 domain emhttpd: error: share_luks_status, 6173: Operation not supported (95): getxattr: /mnt/user/cctv 
May 3 16:34:23 domain emhttpd: error: share_luks_status, 6173: Operation not supported (95): getxattr: /mnt/user/cctv 
May 3 16:34:24 domain emhttpd: error: share_luks_status, 6173: Operation not supported (95): getxattr: /mnt/user/cctv 
May 3 16:34:25 domain emhttpd: error: share_luks_status, 6173: Operation not supported (95): getxattr: /mnt/user/cctv 
May 3 16:34:26 domain emhttpd: error: share_luks_status, 6173: Operation not supported (95): getxattr: /mnt/user/cctv 
May 3 16:34:28 domain emhttpd: error: share_luks_status, 6173: Operation not supported (95): getxattr: /mnt/user/cctv 
May 3 16:34:29 domain emhttpd: error: share_luks_status, 6173: Operation not supported (95): getxattr: /mnt/user/cctv

Note i replaced my server name with "domain".

I have the drive set up like this the following screen shots. 

cctv.jpg.885069a4071414198f241c01acb8d2be.jpg

1689800165_ZMScreenshot2023-05-04115020.jpg.1037a54781ffe2e7514b1538b68f82f7.jpg

2070576216_ZM2creenshot2023-05-04122044.jpg.ef934ae57f3e556c417d97555146c781.jpg

I received this comment in the general support thread:

16 hours ago, apandey said:

That symlink is the problem. /mnt/user needs to be fully managed by unraid, and the errors are because it is encountering a symlink which is not a shfs mount. Trying to get status of that share in expected way is failing

If you want this shared, use the unassigned devices share functionality (it won't be listed under shares) or manually configure smb-extras in samba settings

The problem is i'm not clear on this. SMB sharing is on (screenshot of that being turned on in the logs).

1294898223_smbScreenshot2023-05-05114631.thumb.jpg.2ebe1d31f4d717472f9f6997e826ef9b.jpg

Its also been suggested something else is using that share but theres nothing on there but i dont know what it would be. Only camera footage is on there.

Any ideas?

Edited by tvd1
13 minutes ago, scorcho99 said:

I understand ext4 was removed as a format option but I'd like to use it anyway because I need a non-journaled filesystem and as I understand it the default mount options for ext4 will work. Is there a way to do this still even if it is kind of a backdoor?

It has never been an option to format ext4 disks, but UD can mount them.  Reiserfs was removed some time ago as a format option because it is deprecated.

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

It has never been an option to format ext4 disks, but UD can mount them.  Reiserfs was removed some time ago as a format option because it is deprecated.

Sorry, I guess the post here made it sound like the formatting option was removed to me:

Regardless, can I format them with another method (either command line or I guess I could pass the whole disk to a VM or even remove it temporarily) and then have them automount as usual?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, scorcho99 said:

Sorry, I guess the post here made it sound like the formatting option was removed to me:

Wow, I don't remember ext4 ever being a format option, but you're right.  I stand corrected.  Regardless, yes UD can auto mount an ext4 disk,

• Like 1

So this seems to be working fine (so far) for my purposes at least. Since I was reusing a previously used unassigned device disk all I did was enable destructive mode and delete the paritions off then create the new parition and filesystem as so:

NOTE: * is the unassigned device name, this will be different

parted /dev/sd*

mklabel msdos

mkpart                                                            

Partition type? primary/extended? primary

File system type? [ext2]? ext4

Start? 0%

End? 100%

quit

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sd*1

At this point unassigned devices picked up there was a parition and I just clicked the mount button.

Hi :) I'm trying to mount/unmount a remote SMB share but I'm having some problems.

If I try:

umount /mnt/remotes/TOWER1_Volume

the share gets unmoubted correctly, but if I try:

mount /mnt/remotes/TOWER1_Volume

I get this error:

mount: /mnt/remotes/TOWERMAIN_Volume: can't find in /etc/fstab.

I tried adding this line found in another forum post to fstab:

//192.168.0.10/disk1 /mnt/disk1 cifs username=<unRAID user>,password=<unRAID user password>,noperms,uid=nobody,gid=users 0 0

but trying mount then gave this error, so I removed it:

mount error(22): Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

Could someone help me make this work? Ty very much! :D

7 minutes ago, SantyC93 said:

I get this error:

Because you're not telling it where to mount it.

But since you're in the UD thread you should probably be using the GUI. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, SantyC93 said:

Hi :) I'm trying to mount/unmount a remote SMB share but I'm having some problems.

If I try:

umount /mnt/remotes/TOWER1_Volume

I get this error:

I tried adding this line found in another forum post to fstab:

//192.168.0.10/disk1 /mnt/disk1 cifs username=<unRAID user>,password=<unRAID user password>,noperms,uid=nobody,gid=users 0 0

but trying mount then gave this error, so I removed it:

mount error(22): Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

Could someone help me make this work? Ty very much! :D

If you are going to try to mount the share manually from the CLI rather than via the UD GUI then you need to ignore /etc/fstab and give all the required information as parameters to the mount command.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, Do i still need the "Unassigned Devices" plugin if i have the "Unassigned Devices Plus" plugin installed?

Do you need unassigned devices plugin as a pre-req for unassigned devices plug or is it more of a case of install one or the other?

@dlandon

Edited by thestraycat
8 minutes ago, thestraycat said:

Hey guys, Do i still need the "Unassigned Devices" plugin if i have the "Unassigned Devices Plus" plugin installed?

Do you need unassigned devices plugin as a pre-req for unassigned devices plug or is it more of a case of install one or the other?

UD+ is an add on to UD and is required to do things like enable the destructive mode.  It is not required for normal UD functions.

I have a issue with drives spinning up when I load my main tab. It is limited to zfs, so not sure a UD issue of zfs plugin issue (I am on 6.11.5), but I'll start with a question here

My setup:

I have 11 drives showing in UD. One is a standalone share used for backups, One is a unused spare drive, and the remaining 9 are a zfs pool managed by zfs master plugin. All of these drives are used for backups that only run overnight, so most of the time, these are idle. All of these seem to spin down sometime during the night after backups are finished

The issue happens when I try to load my UI Main tab. The first access is very slow (1+ min), and then subsequent access is snappy fast. Looking at logs, I have narrowed it down to the 9 zfs drives spinning up when first UI access happens. Indeed, when the UI is loaded, I see the 9 zfs drives spinning and the other 2 unassigned drives as spun down. There is no other activity in syslogs during the first load pause

Anyone seen this before and any comments on what might be happening?

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Do you have VM vdisks on those?

No, it's a purely disconnected data pool with no unraid functionality directly running off it. I simply keep a backup of my important data there via a rsync user script that runs once in the night to update the data and take a snapshot. Rest of the time nothing accesses the ZFS pool

7 minutes ago, lwi said:

Is there a way to install UD without CA?

I'm trying to get data from an old Unraid server that stayed in the shelf for some years and now I'd need a minimum of 4GB to use CA while my machine only has 2GB.

Probably no current version of UD is going to be compatible with whatever old version Unraid you have (you don't say).

You can mount disks at the command line. What filesystem?