Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

The problem you are having is that UD finds the gateway and determines the network is available and then auto mounts remote shares.  It looks like UD is getting a different gateway than the one you are trying to specify or the gateway isn't fuly ready.

I am adding a log message to the new version of UD to show what UD is using as the gateway to determine when the network is available.  Update UD when it is available, reboot your system,  and post diagnostics again.

Hi,

This is very likely me being very thick headed and not understanding exactly how things work but here we go:

I'm running the ZFS pluigin on my Unraid box, as such all of the drives that i am using for ZFS are appearing in the unassigned devices section. when i go to a disk's settings sometimes the "Passed Though" option isn't there, others it is there but will not stay active.

is there a way i can hide the disks from the Main window of unassigned devices?

1 hour ago, Buddy1913 said:

I'm running the ZFS pluigin on my Unraid box, as such all of the drives that i am using for ZFS are appearing in the unassigned devices section. when i go to a disk's settings sometimes the "Passed Though" option isn't there, others it is there but will not stay active.

The pass through switch is only available when the disk is not mounted.

1 hour ago, Buddy1913 said:

is there a way i can hide the disks from the Main window of unassigned devices?

No.  You can assign an alias disk name to the passed through disks and sort them off to the bottom of the list.  i.e Zpool1, Zpool2, etc.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, dlandon said:

The problem you are having is that UD finds the gateway and determines the network is available and then auto mounts remote shares.  It looks like UD is getting a different gateway than the one you are trying to specify or the gateway isn't fuly ready.

I am adding a log message to the new version of UD to show what UD is using as the gateway to determine when the network is available.  Update UD when it is available, reboot your system,  and post diagnostics again.

OK I will do it !

On 2/27/2023 at 2:22 PM, neruve said:

Any known issues with SMB shares for unassigned disks? It used to work fine. I wanna say I did an update (and there was another one today) and it hasn't worked since. All my other shares work fine. 

unraid-diagnostics-20230227-0921.zip 134.26 kB · 0 downloads

Have you checked in Settings->Unassigned Devices what you have for the SMB security settings?    If it is set to No then that means do not make them visible on the network.  As part of tightening security on the systems shares are no longer automatically made visible on the network unless you explicitly set this to be the case.

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Have you checked in Settings->Unassigned Devices what you have for the S~mB security settings?    If it is set to No then that means do not make them visible on the network.  As part of tightening security on the systems shares are no longer automatically made visible on the network unless you explicitly set this to be the case.

That was it! Thank you! I appreciate it. Was there something when it was updated to make a user aware of this change? Did I miss it? 

3 hours ago, Valiran said:

Hello!

I've updated UD, removed bonding and bridging from my network config and manually set ip and gateway. And it still doesn't automount after a reboot :'(

Diagnotics joined.

Thanks !

valisrv1-diagnostics-20230228-1918.zip 71.07 kB · 0 downloads

Your remote server is apparantely not ready to respond to a ping when UD tries to mount the remote share:

Feb 28 10:14:38 ValiSRV1 unassigned.devices: Using Gateway '192.168.1.254' to Ping Remote Shares.
Feb 28 10:14:38 ValiSRV1 unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share 'VALISTATION:/volume1/Plex'...
Feb 28 10:14:38 ValiSRV1 unassigned.devices: Remote Server 'VALISTATION' is offline and share 'VALISTATION:/volume1/Plex' cannot be mounted.

UD waits for the gateway to be available, then waits 5 seconds before trying to mount remote shares.  I would think this would be enough time to wait for the network to be ready.

Got 12 used dell enterprise SSD drives from work today, but I am having some problems with the unassigned device plugin. They are not showing up as unassigned devices. They show up in the unassigned preclear-thingie, but they are all marked as "cannot preclear". I see them in the filesystem under /dev/dsXXX. I even get smart data off them by using smartctl. Anyone know how come the preclear and mounting is not working? I am running version 6.11.5 of unraid. Diagnostics attached.

2096844109_2023-02-2823_09_26-UNRAID02_Preclear.thumb.png.da3ec170a5fdaa7ea1f9a3bf14b4655e.png

23367825_2023-02-2823_08_52-UNRAID02_UnassignedDevices.thumb.png.146b3e21a90266e3eb86e8cc5a19009f.png

1511098640_2023-02-2823_08_21-UNRAID02_Main.png.c0528267020c982b72790804a7d86c3a.png

unraid02-diagnostics-20230228-2311.zip

7 minutes ago, TrondHjertager said:

Got 12 used dell enterprise SSD drives from work today, but I am having some problems with the unassigned device plugin. They are not showing up as unassigned devices. They show up in the unassigned preclear-thingie, but they are all marked as "cannot preclear". I see them in the filesystem under /dev/dsXXX. I even get smart data off them by using smartctl. Anyone know how come the preclear and mounting is not working? I am running version 6.11.5 of unraid. Diagnostics attached.

2096844109_2023-02-2823_09_26-UNRAID02_Preclear.thumb.png.da3ec170a5fdaa7ea1f9a3bf14b4655e.png

23367825_2023-02-2823_08_52-UNRAID02_UnassignedDevices.thumb.png.146b3e21a90266e3eb86e8cc5a19009f.png

1511098640_2023-02-2823_08_21-UNRAID02_Main.png.c0528267020c982b72790804a7d86c3a.png

unraid02-diagnostics-20230228-2311.zip 193.49 kB · 0 downloads

Sector size is 520 needs to be 512.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/how-to-reformat-520-byte-drives-to-512-bytes-usually/133021

Edited by SimonF
On 2/28/2023 at 3:18 AM, itimpi said:

Have you checked in Settings->Unassigned Devices what you have for the S~mB security settings?    If it is set to No then that means do not make them visible on the network.  As part of tightening security on the systems shares are no longer automatically made visible on the network unless you explicitly set this to be the case.

This fixed mine too that disappeared from my windows share. Thanks.

Hi there, this is quite an annoying issue I have seen. I have 2 external drives that seam to not be showing up. i use luckybackup to mirror my shares onto the external drive. the external drive has filled and I have moved over to newer hard drive with larger capacity. So I dont have to change anything in my docker container, I had renamed the old hard drive by adding old to the end, and the newer larger hard drive named as my original hard drive.

Problem is that both dont seam to want to show up. They both show up fine on another Windows pc and will show up without issue when passed though to windows 11 vm.

But in krusader when I go to access the drives, i get nothing showing up for ages. i know it takes quote some time but never as long as this. This is what I am getting, its as if the drive is mounted but nothing is showing? Why was there such a long delay when windows would normally show drives instantly and now seams to not be working at all? The hard drive names are not conflicting at all. If i try and browse to the hard drive in terminal, i would get i/o error. External drives in the docker container of krusader are set to rw slave.

image.png

I will add that it seems similar to this issue and have added my diagnostics file.

Ok this is strange how generating a diagnostics file seams to have made the hard drive contents show up but krusader is quote slow. it seems that I am able to access the content though an unassigned folder, not via mnt/disks
image.png.fd0f62b9e7efe23ff9a3e331e3ad5128.png
Can someone please explain this phenomena?

hammerthread-diagnostics-20230301-1019.zip

Edited by Goldmaster
2 hours ago, Goldmaster said:

Ok this is strange how generating a diagnostics file seams to have made the hard drive contents show up but krusader is quote slow. it seems that I am able to access the content though an unassigned folder, not via mnt/disks

I'm very confused on how you are accessing the UD disks.  What is "UNASSIGNED"?

Your disk is mounted at /mnt/disks/.  This is from the 'df' command in your diagnostics.

/dev/sdd1       1.9T  6.0G  1.9T   1% /mnt/disks/Lucky_Backup_Drive_Old

You said the drive was full, but it is only 1% used in the 'df' command.

If you are trying to access the drive with SMB, it is not set to be shared:

Mar  1 10:00:33 Hammerthread unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sdd1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/Lucky_Backup_Drive_Old'...
Mar  1 10:00:33 Hammerthread unassigned.devices: Mount cmd: /sbin/mount -t 'ntfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,umask=000 '/dev/sdd1' '/mnt/disks/Lucky_Backup_Drive_Old'
Mar  1 10:00:34 Hammerthread  ntfs-3g[31480]: Version 2022.10.3 integrated FUSE 27
Mar  1 10:00:34 Hammerthread  ntfs-3g[31480]: Mounted /dev/sdd1 (Read-Write, label "Lucky Backup Drive Old", NTFS 3.1)
Mar  1 10:00:34 Hammerthread  ntfs-3g[31480]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,umask=000
Mar  1 10:00:34 Hammerthread  ntfs-3g[31480]: Mount options: nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,rw,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdd1,blkdev,blksize=4096
Mar  1 10:00:34 Hammerthread  ntfs-3g[31480]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Mar  1 10:00:34 Hammerthread unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted 'sdd1' on '/mnt/disks/Lucky_Backup_Drive_Old'.
Mar  1 10:00:34 Hammerthread unassigned.devices: Device '/dev/sdd1' is not set to be shared.

19 minutes ago, dlandon said:

What is "UNASSIGNED"?

It was taken from the krusader video

19 minutes ago, dlandon said:

That was on the old drive, the one that is showing hardly full, is the newer, larger drive.

20 minutes ago, dlandon said:

If you are trying to access the drive with SMB, it is not set to be shared:

That's not a problem, as i don't need to access the drive over a network, only physically on the machine.

It is strange how It's decided to work fine (for now).

5 minutes ago, Goldmaster said:

That was on the old drive, the one that is showing hardly full, is the newer, larger drive.

That's the old drive that is 1% full:

27 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Your disk is mounted at /mnt/disks/.  This is from the 'df' command in your diagnostics.

/dev/sdd1       1.9T  6.0G  1.9T   1% /mnt/disks/Lucky_Backup_Drive_Old

Have you confused the old and new drives?

I added a 1TB SSD recently for VM images and UD keeps hanging/crashing on occasion ever since.

Here is what I see  on the main page

image.thumb.png.4f3964acf0708cbf64a8e3bbe7334504.png

When I go to settings, I have this warning:

Warning: touch(): Unable to create file /tmp/unassigned.devices/udev_63ff51b8ce9a89.99632217.lock because No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 306

When I reboot my server, everything works fine for a while. Not sure yet what causes the crash, but I suspect it happens when Plex docker records a live TV channel for which I use RAM (/tmp). However, I have been doing this for almost 2 years now with no issues and the only thing that changed was the addition ofd the SSD. Besides that, I have 2 SMB shares with UD, never had an issue with those.

Any idea what could be happening?