Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

so i just tried this 

root@Tardis:~# ls /dev/disk
by-id/  by-label/  by-partlabel/  by-partuuid/  by-path/  by-uuid/
root@Tardis:~# ls /dev/disk/by-label
Music_Drive_1@  Music_Drive_3@  UNRAID@  transport_data@
root@Tardis:~# ntfsfix /dev/disk/by-label/Music_Drive_1
Mounting volume... OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
NTFS volume version is 3.1.
NTFS partition /dev/disk/by-label/Music_Drive_1 was processed successfully.

but my music drive 2 the one always having issues with this windows corrupt  isnt showing up

just 1 and 3..  so i powered off all 3 drives.. only turned on  2 and 3

and only 3 shows up...   i did it to simulate  and unplug re plug in...    but i can mount and view files but doesnt show up  and cant do ntfsfix..    so i guess i need to do a reboot?  

tardis-diagnostics-20230714-1454.zip

1 hour ago, comet424 said:

ok ill try the 

ntfsfix /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD6003FFBX-68MU3N0_V9J4LJ1L

while unmounted..

so i confused..  why cant you run a ntfsfix   while mounted?   if you were in windows  its mounted once you plug in and run checkdsk..   how come you cant do the reverse...   i guess id have to edit my user scripts  script

that it would run the ntfsfix  on 3 drives

then mount the drives... then copy the data to the drives ..

all in the same user script  but not sure how you mount a drive from the command line  

update:

the 

ntfsfix /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD6003FFBX-68MU3N0_V9J4LJ1L

doesnt work unmounted either  figures lol

Mounting volume... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.

I said to use the '-n' option, which is wrong that just checks a disk and doesn't fix anything.

You have to specify '/dev/sdX' to check a disk.

Run the check disk routine on the drive using UD and see if it can fix the disk.  If UD can't fix it, you'll not be able to do it with the ntfsfix command manually or in a script.

If you look at this ntfsfix manual, you'll see that the Linux command is not as robust as Windows.  It's possible you're running into something the ntfsfix can't fix: https://linux.die.net/man/8/ntfsfix

ya  i did the -n  too  that produces the same error

i guess wen i did the ntfsfix -n  /dev/sdx    or without the - n    it fixed it i was able to copy

is there a way script it  so  the script reads  whatever the disk/by-id  is and convert it to the /dev/sdX

i found that the /by-label worked it checked the disk1 and a3..  but some reason disk 2  will not show up under by-label

hmm so i might be stuck using windows before i shove in unraid or the vm... 

hopefully i can get the ntfsfix to work   i asked in the general form if possible someone else knew work arounds or plugins...  

but i just dont understand why windows corrupts the drive when i shut down  i shut down  normally and then unplug the drive   or i click the Safe unplug usb  and then i unplug and next time i plug in unraid  its corrupt... its messed...  

ill keep playing i guess. 

On 7/14/2023 at 6:42 AM, dlandon said:

UD disks are spun down according to the disk spin down time for the Unraid server.  It looks like you have that timer set to 45 minutes.

You can set the disk spin down for the server to never spin down and then set the spin down on each disk.

If those disks are formatted, Linux is not detecting a file system.  I would also mark the UD disks as passed through so no UD operations will occur on them.  You wouldn't want to accidentily format a disk.

Is there any utility in spinning down SSDs? I would think it would be better to skip spin down operations on SSDs...

Also there is no "settings cog" next to the disks, so I'm not able mark them as passed through?

The disks are btrfs formatted (each individual 200gb pooled into one 800gb).

root@trantor:~# df -Th
Filesystem          Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sdx            btrfs     746G  451G  293G  61% /mnt/disks/scratch

5 hours ago, srirams said:

Is there any utility in spinning down SSDs? I would think it would be better to skip spin down operations on SSDs...

Yes, there are use cases where spinning down SSDs makes sense to save power.  Ask users who live in Europe if it is worth spinning down SSDs since electric rates are so high there.  This can be turned off so SSDs won't spin down.

5 hours ago, srirams said:

Also there is no "settings cog" next to the disks, so I'm not able mark them as passed through?

Right.  The Device Settings are not available on a disk that is not formatted as settings are by partition.

6 hours ago, srirams said:

The disks are btrfs formatted (each individual 200gb pooled into one 800gb).

How did the disk get mounted at /mnt/disks/?  I assume UD did not mount it since UD does not recognize the partition.

It would be better to mount it at /mnt/addons/ if UD is not mounting it.

Hi all.  I'm on an older unraid version (6.8.3) and am sure i've had this plugin installed in the past.

However when i search in community applications, i can't find this plugin.

Does this plugin work with my version of unraid and if so, how can i install it if it doesn't show in community applications?

Edited by dvd.collector
1 hour ago, dvd.collector said:

Hi all.  I'm on an older unraid version (6.8.3) and am sure i've had this plugin installed in the past.

However when i search in community applications, i can't find this plugin.

Does this plugin work with my version of unraid and if so, how can i install it if it doesn't show in community applications?

UD works with 6.9 and later.  You should update your Unraid.

Good afternoon, I recently ran into some trouble and I thought it was a dead drive and now after a week with a new drive this has happened again. 

I have a drive I replaced with an SSD formatted it to an encrypted file system. a few days later the drive appeared not to have a file system and unraid wanted me to format the drive and the mount button was grayed out. Thought it was an old drive and I purchased a new one. And to day I got the same thing... except it is still showing the mountpoint. Any help would be appreciated.

text  error  warn  system  array  login  

Jul 17 11:08:21 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:1:0: [sdc] Spinning up disk...
Jul 17 11:08:21 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:1:0: [sdc] 468862128 512-byte logical blocks: (240 GB/224 GiB)
Jul 17 11:08:21 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:1:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
Jul 17 11:08:21 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:1:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 7f 00 00 08
Jul 17 11:08:21 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:1:0: [sdc] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Jul 17 11:08:21 DT310 kernel: sdc: sdc1
Jul 17 11:08:21 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:1:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
Jul 17 11:08:46 DT310  emhttpd: WD_easystore_SSD_240GB_224301A0054B (sdc) 512 468862128
Jul 17 11:08:46 DT310  emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdc
Jul 17 11:08:53 DT310 unassigned.devices: Partition 'sdc1' does not have a file system and cannot be mounted.

** Press ANY KEY to close this window ** 

UD.JPG

8 minutes ago, Ann4B3ll2019 said:

I have a drive I replaced with an SSD formatted it to an encrypted file system. a few days later the drive appeared not to have a file system and unraid wanted me to format the drive and the mount button was grayed out. Thought it was an old drive and I purchased a new one. And to day I got the same thing... except it is still showing the mountpoint. Any help would be appreciated.

Both your disks are marked as 'Dev 2'.  That's a problem.  Do this:

• Post diagnostics.
  • Reboot and see it the drives are sorted out.
4 hours ago, Ann4B3ll2019 said:

this is also interesting, when i click on the dev2 it shows up at dev1...

I see some issues:

Jul 17 11:08:53 DT310 unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'vfat' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,iocharset=utf8,umask=000 '/dev/sdd1' '/mnt/disks/ugg'
Jul 17 11:08:53 DT310 kernel: FAT-fs (sdd1): utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
Jul 17 11:08:53 DT310 kernel: FAT-fs (sdd1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
Jul 17 11:08:53 DT310 unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted 'sdd1' on '/mnt/disks/ugg'.

and

Jul 17 11:09:04 DT310 unassigned.devices: Warning: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/disks/ugg' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' 2>/dev/null) took longer than 10s!

The timeout is a problem on the vfat disk.

Do this:

• Click on the Device Settings icon (three gears), clear the "Disk Name" field and see if the 'devX' changes.  The disk name should be in the form of 'devX', and not 'Dev X' in the Disk Name field.
  • Unmount the vfat disk and run the file system check (check mark icon).

What format is the unmountable disk?  Linux is not seeing a partition on that disk.  Can you put it into another computer and see if the file system is recognized?

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Do this:

• Click on the Device Settings icon (three gears), clear the "Disk Name" field and see if the 'devX' changes.  The disk name should be in the form of 'devX', and not 'Dev X' in the Disk Name field.

What format is the unmountable disk?  Linux is not seeing a partition on that disk.  Can you put it into another computer and see if the file system is recognized?

It renamed itself to dev3 now

I will work on the vfat disk later on...

the unmountable disk is xfs-encrypted. I will see what I can do for another computer.

Strange error - one drive is not automounting and the manual button does not make it mount.

Latest 6.12.3 unraid and UA plugin. 

Logs show my first drive (external LUKS usb) mounting successfully, the second (internal sata LUKS) shows an error.

Jul 18 10:50:46 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sda1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/TowerBackup'...
Jul 18 10:50:46 Tower unassigned.devices: Using luksKeyfile to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Jul 18 10:50:49 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount cmd: /sbin/mount -t 'xfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/TowerBackup' '/mnt/disks/TowerBackup'
Jul 18 10:50:49 Tower kernel: XFS (dm-4): Mounting V5 Filesystem
Jul 18 10:50:50 Tower kernel: XFS (dm-4): Ending clean mount
Jul 18 10:50:50 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted 'TowerBackup' on '/mnt/disks/TowerBackup'.
Jul 18 10:50:50 Tower unassigned.devices: Device '/dev/sda1' is not set to be shared.
Jul 18 10:50:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sdd1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/urbackup'...
Jul 18 10:50:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition 'urbackup' is already mounted.
Jul 18 10:50:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition 'urbackup' cannot be mounted.

urbackup is not mounted - it doesnt show under /mnt/disks/

*** solved ***

It seems that the partition/mount point cannot now be the same name as the disk drive

Edited by spants
16 hours ago, dlandon said:

Do this:

FS: vfat

Executing file system check: /sbin/fsck.vfat -n /dev/sdd1 2>&1

File system corruption detected!

would you recommend trying to repair it or reformat the disk?

16 hours ago, dlandon said:

xfs encrypted 

at the moment I do not have another linux box to put it in. I am not worried about loosing the data at the moment because i have a recent backup.

I am more concerned at why this has happened twice in the last week and keeping it form doing it again... 

51 minutes ago, Ann4B3ll2019 said:

would you recommend trying to repair it or reformat the disk?

Repair.

52 minutes ago, Ann4B3ll2019 said:

I am more concerned at why this has happened twice in the last week and keeping it form doing it again... 

In your diagnostics, the disks show up as ata.  Check the following in this order:

• DIsk drive cables.  Both power and data cables.  Change out the cables.
  • Review your disk SMART reports.  Sdc appears to have some errors.
  • Power supply capacity.

When the CryptoLUKS information gets messed, it's difficult to recover from.

29 minutes ago, dlandon said:

In your diagnostics, the disks show up as ata.  Check the following in this order:

• DIsk drive cables.  Both power and data cables.  Change out the cables.
  • Review your disk SMART reports.  Sdc appears to have some errors.
  • Power supply capacity.

When the CryptoLUKS information gets messed, it's difficult to recover from.

Disks are in a R710 with backplane, going to an hba controler.

yes i have a few disks with errors and that is why I am trying to replace them with these new drives

the server has redundant 870W PSUs... would not think that is the issue.

so the issue just happened again....

I am trying to get this one share back up and working.

1. I installed a different drive
  2. cleared the drive
  3. formatted to xfs-encrypted, set password
  4. set the disk password under the unassigned devices settings
  5. changed the disk mount point the the share name that has been used in the past on the old drive (could this be causing the issue?)
  6. mount the drive
  7. transfer data from backup
  8. everything seems to be working, rebooted and the disk shows a grayed out mount box and does not have a file system and can not be mounted

On 7/12/2023 at 2:44 PM, dlandon said:

Use these steps:

• Create the root share on your local machine.  Name it a unique name.
  • Click on the gear icon in the upper right of the UD page.  That is the UD settings.  Set SMB sHaring to how you want UD devices shared with SMB.  Choose either "Private" or "Private Hidden".  I don't recommend "Public" for security reasons, especially when using a root share.
  • Click on the three gear icon by the root share device and set the "Share" switch on.
  • Mount your rootshare.
  • You should be able to see the root share when browsing with a PC.
  • Go to the other server and add a SMB device.  Let UD search the servers, and then choose the server.
  • Enter Credentials and then let UD search for the shares.
  • Choose the root share and it should then be mountable.

You will potentially have an issue with auto mounting your root shares.  Each server has to be on-line when the other wants to auto mount the other root share.

Why are you cross sharing rootshares?  I assume you're on a LAN?  Just set both to share their rootshares and browse to them.  If you are doing this across the Internet, you'll have issues with Internet hiccups.  CIFS does not handle networking drops/errors very well.

Thank you sooooooooo very much!

That (along with some user permission setup issues) worked! you have likely saved me weeks of time (as I have TB to go through).

1 hour ago, Ann4B3ll2019 said:

Disks are in a R710 with backplane, going to an hba controler.

yes i have a few disks with errors and that is why I am trying to replace them with these new drives

the server has redundant 870W PSUs... would not think that is the issue.

so the issue just happened again....

I am trying to get this one share back up and working.

1. I installed a different drive
  2. cleared the drive
  3. formatted to xfs-encrypted, set password
  4. set the disk password under the unassigned devices settings
  5. changed the disk mount point the the share name that has been used in the past on the old drive (could this be causing the issue?)
  6. mount the drive
  7. transfer data from backup
  8. everything seems to be working, rebooted and the disk shows a grayed out mount box and does not have a file system and can not be mounted

Post your current diagnostics.

I had some issues with drives and upgraded all my spinning disks.... Changed from 2 very low hour 12tb parity drives and 6 8tb used data drives to new 14tb parity drives, 2 new 14tb data drives and the 2 12tb parity drives becoming data drives. 

I swapped a new 14tb drive in place of both 12tb parity drives (one at a time and let each rebuild before replacing the next) 

I the swapped a new 14tb (or the 2 12tb parity) in one at a time and let it rebuild for 4 of the 6 current data drives. 

I pulled the 2 remaining 8tb data drives and did a new config to remove the 2 8tb drives from the array. 

Using the unassigned devislces plugin I was able to mount one of the 2 8tb drives and copy data to the array. I have attempted to mount the other 8tb drive and each Time it attempts to mount and fails.... Hitting the log button in the GUI it says "mount of sdl1 failed. Mount /mnt/disks/8tb (mount 2) system call failed: function not implemented. 

If I look in krusader the mount doesn't show...

I have rebooted to ensure it wasn't something hung etc

bob-diagnostics-20230719-2217.zip

I am not sure what is happening here.  I have 2 drives passed using Unassigned Devices but the Samsung 970 SSD shows up twice.  I have marked it as Passed through and Disable mount button and disabled Show partitions but the disk still shows up in my list (as the third option in the picture) and the Format button is still active.  This makes me uncomfortable.  I have passed the entire disk through to a VM and I would rather not have the ability to accidentally format the drive.  "Dev 2" is a separate SSD that is passed through in the same way to a VM that uses it and it does not show the partition as a separate device.  Dev 1 is an NVME m.2 SSD and the Dev 2 is a 2.5 inch Silicon Power SATA SSD.  Any ideas if there is a way I can get that NVME1n1p3 device off of this list?

image.thumb.png.ede1211577796d6131f1ee375e8cde4f.png