Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Hello.

I am quite new to unraid and was trying to install "Unassigned Devices" plugin but is failing directly

plugin: installing: unassigned.devices.plg
Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks
plugin: downloading: unassigned.devices.plg ... done

plugin: downloading: unassigned.devices-2024.03.31.tgz ... done

plugin: bad file MD5: /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices-2024.03.31.tgz
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Maybe an outdated md5 file in the server?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, sousavf said:

Hello.

I am quite new to unraid and was trying to install "Unassigned Devices" plugin but is failing directly

plugin: installing: unassigned.devices.plg
Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks
plugin: downloading: unassigned.devices.plg ... done

plugin: downloading: unassigned.devices-2024.03.31.tgz ... done

plugin: bad file MD5: /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices-2024.03.31.tgz
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Maybe an outdated md5 file in the server?

Thanks

There's a problem.  GIve me a minute to fix.

• Like 1

This might be by design? 🙂

But I just noticed that any shared folder that I have created as "Exclusive access" on my cache drive

Is not accessible or visible when accessing the ROOT mount.

Changing it to preferred cache I get it back 

3 hours ago, casperse said:

This might be by design? 🙂

But I just noticed that any shared folder that I have created as "Exclusive access" on my cache drive

Is not accessible or visible when accessing the ROOT mount.

Changing it to preferred cache I get it back 

It's not a design issue; it's a technical limitation.  The Root Share is mounted as bind mount and exclusive shares are not available because the bind mount does not allow symlinks.

• Thanks 1
On 4/1/2024 at 12:56 AM, dlandon said:

I found an issue with NFS that is resolved with the latest release of UD that I believe will solve the NFS mounting issue.

Got everything working this morning thanks for the patch.

On 3/20/2024 at 12:55 AM, dlandon said:

Ok, it seems a change was made in Unraid 6.13 to address an issue with saving script files after a UD change.  It has been fixed in 6.13, but 6.11 and 6.12 will have an issue.  I will update UD once I come up with a way to make a proper fix.

Hi dlandon,

I'm a new Unraid user. Thanks so much for your great work.

I spent some hours trying to find out why new device scripts won't save. Luckily I now managed to find your regarding post.

Can you already tell more about when this would be addressed or what kind of workaround we can do in order to run scripts on mounting of external (flash) drives?

Can I help in any way to fix this? Can you provide more details about what the exact issue is (with the current Unraid verssion)?

Thanks so much in advance.

36 minutes ago, unraid-550529 said:

Can you already tell more about when this would be addressed or what kind of workaround we can do in order to run scripts on mounting of external (flash) drives?

The fix was already implemented.  You just have to have the latest version of UD or Unraid.

It only affects saving the scripts after editing them.  It doesn't have anything to do with execution of the script when a device is connected.  Just turn on the "Automount" switch and the script will run when the devkice is connected.

Also, be sure to use the default script (click the "Default" button) and modifty it to your needs.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

The fix was already implemented.  You just have to have the latest version of UD or Unraid.

It only affects saving the scripts after editing them.  It doesn't have anything to do with execution of the script when a device is connected.  Just turn on the "Automount" switch and the script will run when the devkice is connected.

Also, be sure to use the default script (click the "Default" button) and modifty it to your needs.

I'm running Unraid 6.12.10 with UD 2024.03.31. Would that be the latest versions? (I saw on Github an upcoming 2024.04.01, but I'd assume that'll take its time until it has gone through the official release pipeline so that it'll show up in the Unraid UI as new version)

Though I'm still experiencing the same behavior where I can't create new scripts via the UI. I tested with 3 different USB flash drives while one has only 1 vfat partition and another has 3 partitions (1 exfat, 2 vfat).

While unmounted when I navigate to the settings page of the disk/partition, I click the 'Default' button at the bottom, the script and the filename populates, I click 'Save', the screen flashes and everything disappears again (like described by another poster beforehand, that also showed screenshots).

I already uninstalled the UD(+) plugins (incl. deleting '/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices' folder) and reinstalled but to no avail.

Can you point me into a direction what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

Edited by unraid-550529
9 minutes ago, unraid-550529 said:

I'm running Unraid 6.12.10 with UD 2024.03.31. Would that be the latest versions? (I saw on Github an upcoming 2024.04.01, but I'd assume that'll take its time until it has gone through the official release pipeline so that it'll show up in the Unraid UI as new version)

03.03.2024 is the latest.  The 04.01.2024 is UD+.

It is working for me.  Post your diagnostics so I can take a look.

I have a mount to a SMB share and am copying files.

The only problem is the window showing the status of the copy has vanished, its not now visible and the link at the bottom of the page has gone also.
I can see that files are still copying if I look at disk activity or go look at the actual share on the array.

How can I get the status window back, without it if I needed to cancel the copy I dont see how ?

30 minutes ago, MartynK said:

The only problem is the window showing the status of the copy has vanished, its not now visible and the link at the bottom of the page has gone also.
I can see that files are still copying if I look at disk activity or go look at the actual share on the array.

How can I get the status window back, without it if I needed to cancel the copy I dont see how ?

Wrong thread, that's about the dynamix file manager plugin since it seems that's what you're using, UD only mounts the drive

• Upvote 1
Just now, wgstarks said:

After updating to 6.12.10 I can no longer add remote SMB shares. When I click the button to add a share I get a warning popup window but clicking "Next" doesn't do anything.

Please disregard. I'm an idiot. 😀

Didn't actually read the popup and never selected a protocol.

On 4/5/2024 at 5:34 AM, wgstarks said:

Please disregard. I'm an idiot. 😀

Didn't actually read the popup and never selected a protocol.

Can't tell you how many times I've done things like that.  No worries.

I just moved a 4 disk USB HDD dock (uses jmicron 758 controller) over from Windows (deleted all volumes on the disks in windows diskmanager first) and in unassigned devices only 2 of them show up. When I go to "Tools, System Devices" I do see all 4 disks but only 2 appear in unassigned devices. Any ideas?

From system devices:

[0:0:0:0]disk Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 PMAP /dev/sda 124GB

[1:0:0:0]disk Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 0409 /dev/sdb 2.00TB

[2:0:0:0]disk WDC WD20 EARS-00MVWB0 0409 /dev/sdc 2.00TB

[3:0:0:0]disk Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 0409 /dev/sdd 2.00TB

[4:0:0:0]disk Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 0409 /dev/sde 2.00TB

[6:0:0:0]disk ATA N900-512 5A0 /dev/sdf 512GB

When I check SMARTCTL all the drives have unique serial numbers.

If I plug the HDD Dock into my Synology all disks and devices are found correctly and can be used as external devices. Likewise if I plug into a Windows 11 PC all disks are found and ready to use...

From unassigned devices:

image.thumb.png.b3ed3ae167ea3e3e25b2a3006dbcbb72.png

tower-diagnostics-20240406-1634.zip

Edited by SteamedLobster
On 1/17/2024 at 9:05 PM, dlandon said:

UD thinks it is offline because the network doesn't seem to be up when UD tries to mount the rfemote shares.  Your remoteserver may not be responding to a ping.  Do the following:

• Update UD to today's release.  Ping is no longer used to test for a server to be online.  UD now checks the port for SMB and NFS to be open on the server to determine if it is online.
  • Go to the UD Settings and increase the "Remote Share Mount Wait Time".  This is the time UD waits after the network apears to be alive before trying to mount remote shares.

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as this. I'm on the latest release. What is the recommended increase in wait time? How would I troubleshoot that properly. 

As UnraidMule mentioned, the plugin indicates it'll go back online if I go to search for the server again. At that point I can remount. Any other recommendations? Really appreciate your help. 

1 hour ago, BigPapaServer said:

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as this. I'm on the latest release. What is the recommended increase in wait time? How would I troubleshoot that properly. 

As UnraidMule mentioned, the plugin indicates it'll go back online if I go to search for the server again. At that point I can remount. Any other recommendations? Really appreciate your help. 

Post diagnostics.  It'll help me understand your issue better.