Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

On 4/6/2024 at 9:31 AM, SteamedLobster said:

When I go to "Tools, System Devices" I do see all 4 disks but only 2 appear in unassigned devices. Any ideas?

Your USB dock is reporting three of the drives as the same serial number.  That's why you see only one Hitachi disk.  The other two, I don't understand why they are not showing.  Unraid and UD require unique serial numbers to be recognized properly.

13 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Your USB dock is reporting three of the drives as the same serial number.  That's why you see only one Hitachi disk.  The other two, I don't understand why they are not showing.  Unraid and UD require unique serial numbers to be recognized properly.

Thanks thats really weird as smartctl --all /dev/sd"X"/ -d sat    was reporting different serials. I've the dock plugged into Synology right now but I'll swap it back later and check...  The drvies definitely has unique serial numbers as outside of the drives even list it and I've used that in the prior Windows Sever MegaRAID controller set up I had them in to identify them....  

Have you seen docks based on Jmicron 758 incorrectly report serial numbers? But then smartctl would show same issue I would think....

27 minutes ago, bmpreston said:

Please see the attached.  

It appears you are mounting a remote server share manually:

Apr  7 13:03:36 apollo sudo:     root : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/root ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/mount -t nfs4 -o proto=tcp,port=2049 100.69.1.200:/export/users /mnt

Use UD to mount it.

1 minute ago, SteamedLobster said:

The drvies definitely has unique serial numbers

I'm sure the drives have unique numbers, but the dock is not reporting them that way as udev sees one serial number for three drives.  It's not UD that is duplicating the serial numbers.  It's udev.

4 minutes ago, SteamedLobster said:

Have you seen docks based on Jmicron 758 incorrectly report serial numbers? But then smartctl would show same issue I would think....

There are others here that have more experience than i do.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:57 AM, casperse said:

Okay I went back to the PC mappings and found that it used the windows user account matching an old Unraid one (Old setup local VM PC) but after using this instead of the administrator account it connected.
I also made sure that the two local root shares was renamed. - Since server p2 is a clone of the old UNraid server it had the same old accounts.

I did found that the root share pool-shares did NOT list on any server. I just had to write it manually in the UI of UAD.
Looking at the logs I get this now:
image.thumb.png.073defcbeb8bb56a243bd39209788e0b.png

But its working:
image.thumb.png.545d57dfebfdffcd6c85e3c4080268d5.png

I haven't found the difference between the two accounts? both have access to the same directories.
Only difference is that the old one was created when I started using Unraid - cant be sure I didnt do something to this account so long time ago.

Thanks again for your help this was a strange one 🙂

So every is working but after some time I get this error:
image.thumb.png.b6bfcb0e2d9cd0837cb111a46c9b42c9.png

But the mount is working!
And I can easily unmount and mount the share again:
image.thumb.png.d72c34c0d8b4f35bcfb986f9af41eed5.png

BAD_NETWORK_NAME?

Thanks I really thought I had it now 🙂

2 hours ago, casperse said:

But the mount is working!
And I can easily unmount and mount the share again:

Yes, when the remote share has issues, I've tried to set up UD to cleanly unmount and remount the remote share so it will not hang.

2 hours ago, casperse said:

BAD_NETWORK_NAME?

That's generally from a name resolution issue.  Is your remote server on a static IP address?  You might try using the IP address of the remote server but it needs to be static.

I have put a lot of time on sorting out name resolution issues and changing IP addresses when the server is not on a static IP address.  It is pretty hard to test and it may be missing a server IP address change.

17 hours ago, dlandon said:

Yes, when the remote share has issues, I've tried to set up UD to cleanly unmount and remount the remote share so it will not hang.

That's generally from a name resolution issue.  Is your remote server on a static IP address?  You might try using the IP address of the remote server but it needs to be static.

I have put a lot of time on sorting out name resolution issues and changing IP addresses when the server is not on a static IP address.  It is pretty hard to test and it may be missing a server IP address change.

Great all my servers have a static IP, so I will just change that - THANKS!

After install and config. i have this dirs new and i cant delete this. remotes is ok, there are my remote dirs on the other server. but "addons" + "disks" + "rootshare" empty 

Screenshot 2024-04-10 161624.png

Edited by dibux
On 4/7/2024 at 6:15 PM, dlandon said:

This is all very werid - I upgraded the firmware of the dock (jmicron 758/9 controller) to a custom firmware created to pass through all serial numbers etc...  First I backed up the original firmware....

Used instructions here and here for anyone else going down this path:

https://ralimtek.com/posts/2021/jms578/  (flash instructions)

https://zibri.github.io/JMS579/ (Creates a custom firmware with options you want)

Now I can add 4 disks and all four get detected in unRAID....

EDIT: Note you also need to Flash the controller for EACH for the 4 HDD's. So using the tool flash drive 1 controller, power cycle, wait, then flash drive 2 controller... etc. You need a drive in the bay to do this - i loaded the dock with 4 drives and went through and flashed each one.

However I have ONE of the original 2GB Hitachi drives that no matter what is not detected by unRAID. It appears in the drive list under Tools/System Devices but won't appear in unassigned drives no matter what. As far as I can tell it has a different serial number. If I remove that drive and replace it with another 2GB drive (Seagate) that drive is found and added to unassigned drives.

Just leaving this all here for anyone else searching in the future on Jmicron 758 or 759 USB dock issues.

Edited by SteamedLobster
Added detail on needing to flash more than once for multibay docks
On 4/10/2024 at 9:18 AM, dibux said:

After install and config. i have this dirs new and i cant delete this. remotes is ok, there are my remote dirs on the other server. but "addons" + "disks" + "rootshare" empty 

Screenshot 2024-04-10 161624.png

UD creates those mount points:

• disks - used for mounted UD disk devices.
  • remotes - used for mounted UD remote shares.
  • addons - used to mount user mounted devices so FCP will not flag the mount as eroneous.
  • rootshare - used for rootshare mounts.

Why are these there if I don't use them you might ask?  Those mountpoints are mounted themselves with a max size limit so misconfigured Docker Containers and VMs don't crash Unraid by writing lots of data to that mount point (tmp file system) instead of the actual device.  /mnt/ is in the tmp file system and doesn't have a lot of room for eroneous data.

I wanted to add to the discussion below as I believe I have some relevant information:

On 4/4/2024 at 5:06 PM, dlandon said:

03.03.2024 is the latest.  The 04.01.2024 is UD+.

It is working for me.  Post your diagnostics so I can take a look.

On 4/4/2024 at 5:14 PM, unraid-550529 said:

Thank you, here they are ...

unraid-diagnostics-20240404-2311.zip 82.27 kB · 1 download

[edit] For the Nerd Tools I only activated `restic`, because I intend to use it in a script to backup data from my shares to the USB (flash) drive on mounting (via device script).

I am on the latest version of Unraid (6.12.10) with the latest UD plugin and experience the same issue that I am UNABLE to create new scripts using the prescribed method (click default, edit script, click save) -- as the screen simply refreshes after clicking save and the script is gone.

The caveat that I think was perhaps overlooked by user unraid-550529 was that they were accessing the GUI in Incognito mode.  As I can successfully perform the same operation (click default, edit script, click save) provided I am not using Incognito mode.  As an admin I typically default to using Incognito mode and attempting to create a new script does not appear to work consistently when in Incognito mode. 

51 minutes ago, cyberteer said:

I wanted to add to the discussion below as I believe I have some relevant information:

I am on the latest version of Unraid (6.12.10) with the latest UD plugin and experience the same issue that I am UNABLE to create new scripts using the prescribed method (click default, edit script, click save) -- as the screen simply refreshes after clicking save and the script is gone.

The caveat that I think was perhaps overlooked by user unraid-550529 was that they were accessing the GUI in Incognito mode.  As I can successfully perform the same operation (click default, edit script, click save) provided I am not using Incognito mode.  As an admin I typically default to using Incognito mode and attempting to create a new script does not appear to work consistently when in Incognito mode. 

What browser are you using?

40 minutes ago, cyberteer said:

Google Chrome (latest version)

I'm using Brave (also based on Chromium) and don't see the issue in incognito mode.

Do a few things and see if there are errors/warnings when this happens:

• Click on Tools->PHP Settings and see if there are any log entries.
  • While on the UD Device Settings page hold down Ctrl-Shift keys and press 'J'.  This will show the Java console.  See if there are any errors there.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

I'm using Brave (also based on Chromium) and don't see the issue in incognito mode.

Do a few things and see if there are errors/warnings when this happens:

• Click on Tools->PHP Settings and see if there are any log entries.
  • While on the UD Device Settings page hold down Ctrl-Shift keys and press 'J'.  This will show the Java console.  See if there are any errors there.

The PHP Settings had nothing, however, I want to note that the "error reporting level" on that page is set at 'Default'.

As for the browser debug console, the following errors were noted after attempting to edit and save changes to an existing UD script.

image.png.ce59c47eb895bcb39748b6f3e49bf9ad.png

Additionally, the following was identified as the "Violating node" (blue section)

element.style {
    display: none;
}
input[type=checkbox] {
    vertical-align: middle;
    margin-right: 6px;
}
user agent stylesheet
input[type="checkbox" i] {
    background-color: initial;
    cursor: default;
    appearance: auto;
    box-sizing: border-box;
    margin: 3px 3px 3px 4px;
    padding: initial;
    border: initial;
}
user agent stylesheet
input {
    font-style: ;
    font-variant-ligatures: ;
    font-variant-caps: ;
    font-variant-numeric: ;
    font-variant-east-asian: ;
    font-variant-alternates: ;
    font-variant-position: ;
    font-weight: ;
    font-stretch: ;
    font-size: ;
    font-family: ;
    font-optical-sizing: ;
    font-kerning: ;
    font-feature-settings: ;
    font-variation-settings: ;
    text-rendering: auto;
    color: fieldtext;
    letter-spacing: normal;
    word-spacing: normal;
    line-height: normal;
    text-transform: none;
    text-indent: 0px;
    text-shadow: none;
    display: inline-block;
    text-align: start;
    appearance: auto;
    -webkit-rtl-ordering: logical;
    cursor: text;
    background-color: field;
    margin: 0em;
    padding: 1px 0px;
    border-width: 2px;
    border-style: inset;
    border-color: light-dark(rgb(118, 118, 118), rgb(133, 133, 133));
    border-image: initial;
    padding-block: 1px;
    padding-inline: 2px;
}
a {
    color: #486dba;
    text-decoration: none;
}
style attribute {
    --color-alpha: #f2f2f2;
    --color-beta: #1c1b1b;
    --color-gamma: #999999;
    --color-gamma-opaque: rgba(153, 153, 153, 0.25);
    --shadow-beta: 0 25px 50px -12px rgba(28, 27, 27, 0.15);
    --ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #1c1b1b;
    --ring-shadow: 0 0 #1c1b1b;
}
body {
    font-size: 1.3rem;
    color: #1c1b1b;
    background-color: #f2f2f2;
    padding: 0;
    margin: 0;
    -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;
    -moz-osx-font-smoothing: grayscale;
}
html {
    font-family: clear-sans;
    font-size: 62.5%;
    height: 100%;
}
::-webkit-scrollbar {
    width: 10px;
    height: 10px;
    background: transparent;
}
::-webkit-scrollbar-corner {
    background: lightgray;
    border-radius: 10px;
}
::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {
    background: lightgray;
    border-radius: 10px;
}

2 hours ago, cyberteer said:

The PHP Settings had nothing, however, I want to note that the "error reporting level" on that page is set at 'Default'.

Go to the Tools->PHP Settings and set the error reporting level to all caegories and the n create the issue where yoou can't save a script.  The see if any warnings or errors show in the PHP log.

20 minutes ago, unraid-550529 said:

Firefox 124.0.2 (64-bit), via snap on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS.

Regular mode, _not_ private/incognito.

Can't see any errors anywhere.

Show a screen shot of the default file name in the settings after clocking on the "Default" button.  I'd like to see if there are any characters in the default name causing issues with php.

5 hours ago, dlandon said:

Show a screen shot of the default file name in the settings after clocking on the "Default" button.  I'd like to see if there are any characters in the default name causing issues with php.

This would be an immediate "no".  As using the same USB drive (so same partition name) whether incognito or not and saving the script works when no using incognito.  That seems to be the only difference... everything else is the same.  Same computer, same USB drive, same script just incognito or not.

I'll change the logging level and re-test and let you know.

20 hours ago, cyberteer said:

As using the same USB drive (so same partition name) whether incognito or not and saving the script works when no using incognito.  That seems to be the only difference... everything else is the same.  Same computer, same USB drive, same script just incognito or not.

I was finally able to reprodice this issue,  That's the good news; the bad news is there is no fix that can be done to fix this in Unraid.  UD uses some built in functions to perform the script file operations.  I can find no solution for Unraid to fix this.  This only occurs when Private Browsing in Chrome and appears to be a bug in one of Chrome's security features causing POST failures in specific circumstances.  There are no other instances of doing things like UD does in Unraid, so this should not show up anywhere else.

There are several options to deal with this:

• Turn off security in Chrome when Private Browsing.
  • Turn off security for Unraid only when Private Browsing in Chrome.
  • Don't use Chrome Private Browsing when using Unraid.
20 hours ago, cyberteer said:

This would be an immediate "no".

This comment was not very helpful at all, and was honestly quite annoying.

There was an issue when some characters (e.g. '<', '>', etc) are used in file names that will cause a php warning and fail a file save or edit.  I've added some code to deal with this.

15 hours ago, dlandon said:

I was finally able to reprodice this issue,  That's the good news; the bad news is there is no fix that can be done to fix this in Unraid.  UD uses some built in functions to perform the script file operations.  I can find no solution for Unraid to fix this.  This only occurs when Private Browsing in Chrome and appears to be a bug in one of Chrome's security features causing POST failures in specific circumstances.  There are no other instances of doing things like UD does in Unraid, so this should not show up anywhere else.

There are several options to deal with this:

• Turn off security in Chrome when Private Browsing.
  • Turn off security for Unraid only when Private Browsing in Chrome.
  • Don't use Chrome Private Browsing when using Unraid.

This comment was not very helpful at all, and was honestly quite annoying.

There was an issue when some characters (e.g. '<', '>', etc) are used in file names that will cause a php warning and fail a file save or edit.  I've added some code to deal with this.

Thank you for your efforts in finding a root cause.  It is certainly appreciated even though it cannot be resolved at this time.

Also, my apologies to you.  The intention behind the "This would be an immediate no" was not to irritate.  What I failed to articulate was that all other variables were identical whether in Incognito mode or not.  Thus the filename, which is auto populated, was the same and therefore should not be a factor.

Thank you again.  Your work is valued and UD truly fills some huge gaps within Unraid.

If someone has already reported this issue, then my use of search terms with the forum's search feature has failed me.

When using Unassigned Devices, not all unassigned devices show up, this seems to be with both .9 and .10

I was already preparing to totally redo my system due to VM issues (VM's not wanting to restart, they just hang and use up CPU even from fresh install with only viostor driver), so thought it may have something to do with but alas, on a totally fresh install, the issue remains

2 pictures attached, one with the default unassigned devices listing, showing all my drives properly, the second, with unassigned devices add-on installed.

43764656_Screenshot2024-04-17050757.png.d4c1f899bd6d8d231e831712a1765f5d.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 051302.png

Edited by Hammerfest
58 minutes ago, Hammerfest said:

If someone has already reported this issue, then my use of search terms with the forum's search feature has failed me.

When using Unassigned Devices, not all unassigned devices show up, this seems to be with both .9 and .10

I was already preparing to totally redo my system due to VM issues (VM's not wanting to restart, they just hang and use up CPU even from fresh install with only viostor driver), so thought it may have something to do with but alas, on a totally fresh install, the issue remains

2 pictures attached, one with the default unassigned devices listing, showing all my drives properly, the second, with unassigned devices add-on installed.

Post diagnostics when all show and when only some show.