[Plugins] iSCSI GUI and ISCSI Target

SimonF

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

To be honest I've never tried it with such big FileIO images, always with something around 50GB.

Since iSCSI, should at least, create real image files and reserve the space that is not used.

Maybe it's dependent on the file system, do you have your images on a BTRFS or XFS filesystem, but I think it's XFS when you are talking about 'disk3'.

xfs encrypted

If anyone is using large fileio images in the future with Windows NTFS make sure you uncheck 'quick format' when formatting.  Takes a lot longer but unraid see's the total space as used.  Formatting NTFS at ~110 MB/s right now.

If you use quick format Unraid only accounts for the directory structure size until you start to fill it up.   Which in some circumstances might be nice, but your image could run out of space if unraid fills the drive with other shares.

I think the plan is to restrict all imgs to one drive and leave as fileio, that way I have parity protection. 

Main reason I'm using iscsi is for sons game collection (Steam) doesn't like network shares.

1 hour ago, ElementBreaker said:

Is there a way to enable MCS with this plugin? I'm new to using iSCSI but I don't seem to be able to.

No there is currenty no way to change this value with the GUI, but you can change via the targetcli command.

Not sure what effect this may have.

default is 1.

/iscsi/iqn.20...10727885/tpg1> set parameter MaxConnections=2
Parameter MaxConnections is now '2'.

/> cd iscsi/iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.computenode.x8664:sn.0e9010727885/tpg1/
/iscsi/iqn.20...10727885/tpg1> get parameter MaxConnections 
MaxConnections=2 
/iscsi/iqn.20...10727885/tpg1> exit

• 1 month later...

Hi,

thank you for implementing iscsi :) This is a great help.

I've added a 8TB HDD as iscsi Device.

But the Status shows "[/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD80EFBX-68AZZN0_VYGB2KPM (7.3TiB) write-thru activated]"

Shouldn't it be "Write Back"?

But i didn't find a switch to activate it on a device (only at FileIO).

Greetings

Protheus

4 minutes ago, Protheus said:

Hi,

thank you for implementing iscsi :) This is a great help.

I've added a 8TB HDD as iscsi Device.

But the Status shows "[/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD80EFBX-68AZZN0_VYGB2KPM (7.3TiB) write-thru activated]"

But i didn't find a switch to activate it on a device (only at FileIO).

Greetings

Protheus

I have been using ISCI, and it shows the exact same! No issues speed related or anything so I think it's all meant to be!

afbeelding.thumb.png.3ac90765b45bce0da16b0188e508a65a.png

Edited by maxstevens2
1 hour ago, Protheus said:

I don't understand...

Why do you want Write-Back for a real block volume?

Write-Thru is the default "secure" method for a block volume and will get you the speed from the drive if your network NIC can deliver the bandwidth.

Write-Back mostly used in FileIO volumes because they can get very slow if you don't enable Write-Back on them, but can cause also data loss when someone is writing to the Target and there is a power outage or the server crashes.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MasterMark said:

Is it possible to set up multipath with iSCSI?

You want to connect to one target through two NICs both on the client and server right?

It is possible on Linux but not that easy like on Windows, may I ask what your use case is?

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You want to connect to one target through two NICs both on the client and server right?

It is possible on Linux but not that easy like on Windows, may I ask what your use case is?

I have two Unraid servers with 4x1 Gigabit NIC.

Right now I am migrating to new HDDs as unassigned device. I tried ZFS but that was a complete failure. Very slow in my case (SMR hdd-s).

I already copied all my files back to the ZFS pool, but I want to destroy the pool and take a different approach (possible lvm on two hdds, xfs partition as a cache pool).

I have no sata in the main server to aditional HDDs, so I fired up my old server and placed the old HDD there.

I copied back the new files there.

But when I destroy the ZFS pool ans create the cache pool, I have to copy back the files again.

About 4 TB.

I tried SMB mulitpath, but not working, the connection maxed out at ~900mbps.

I thought iSCSI knows the multipath mode “as is”.

tl;dr: I want to moves files between two Unraid servers quickly.

1 minute ago, MasterMark said:

I thought iSCSI knows the multipath mode “as is”.

No, you have to configure it otherwise it won‘t work, imagine if a user has multiple nics and want to use one for whatever, the second for anything else and so on.

If iSCSI would then utilize all NICs this use would be really upset if it uses all the bandwith from all NICs, I think you get the point…

3 minutes ago, MasterMark said:

I want to moves files between two Unraid servers quickly.

But you know that iSCSI utilizes only Block devices or images… or do you plan to mount all disks on thenother side and then copy everything over?

7 minutes ago, MasterMark said:

I tried ZFS but that was a complete failure. Very slow in my case (SMR hdd-s).

ZFS is not always the to go solution, I would only use it for the Cache drives but that always depends on the usecase.

8 minutes ago, MasterMark said:

I tried SMB mulitpath, but not working, the connection maxed out at ~900mbps.

Do you enabled it on both sides and restarted the SAMBA service?

4TB should be copied over in about 10 to 11 hours with 900mbit/s when I calculated that right and of course will take a little longer if you have many small files on SAMBA.

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

No, you have to configure it otherwise it won‘t work, imagine if a user has multiple nics and want to use one for whatever, the second for anything else and so on.

If iSCSI would then utilize all NICs this use would be really upset if it uses all the bandwith from all NICs, I think you get the point…

I am sorry I forgot to mention I have LACP bonding on the 4 NIC on both my servers.

Yep, I am mounting the HDD on the main server with iSCSI that is not a problem.

If I had more sata I did not placed the old HDD on the other server anyway.

Yes, I set up the samba extras config for smb multipath. But didn’t work. Maybe on linux the LACP bonding is the issue, because smb multipath on linux expects multiple IP addresses, but with bonding, the whole group has 1 IP address.

Thanks

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

I think if you‘ve enabled LACP, SAMBA multipath will not work but I could be wrong about that but that‘s my best guess.

Yeah this is what I figured out myself as well.

This is why I am trying this with iSCSI.

I know It takes half a day with one stream, I already copied once the whole HDD.

But I wanted to solve this. Not really for the real world problem, but as a proof of concept.

It hard to accept that I am copying between my servers with 900 mbps however four times bandwith should be possible with my setup.

Do you have any tutorial for iSCSI multipath?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, MasterMark said:

It hard to accept that I am copying between my servers with 900 mbps however four times bandwith should be possible with my setup.

I used LACP back in the days but it gave me some serious issues between two switches…

It almost take a year to figure out that LACP was the main cause of the issue…

I moved then on to 10Gbit/s Mellanox ConnectX2 and ConnectX3 cards which can saturate the full speed even on SAMBA.

10 minutes ago, MasterMark said:

Do you have any tutorial for iSCSI multipath?

Not really because even when you manage to get it to work is most likely that it behaves like SAMBA did.

Search for something like „iSCSI MPIO“, this is the way to go…

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, isvein said:

Diag taken after I tied this.

Something must have changed weather on the initiator or the target:

May 16 20:46:17 oneroom kernel: iSCSI Initiator Node: iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:luka is not authorized to access iSCSI target portal group: 1.
May 16 20:46:17 oneroom kernel: iSCSI Login negotiation failed.

I will test this when I got home if it's the same on my server/machine.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2022 at 8:30 AM, isvein said:

Unable to login to the target

Sorry for the delay... Forgot a bit about that...

I've test it now and I can connect with any issue whatsoever.

Can you share a screenshot from your configuration on the main iSCSI page?

12 hours ago, ich777 said:

Sorry for the delay... Forgot a bit about that...

I've test it now and I can connect with any issue whatsoever.

Can you share a screenshot from your configuration on the main iSCSI page?

Is it supposed to say "iSCSI target portal group: 1"?
Or should it be group 0?

Is there some files that are not deleted when removing the plugin, because if there is some files I can delete I can try to reset it all 100% and try again and see if that helps.

iscsi.PNG

10 hours ago, isvein said:

Is it supposed to say "iSCSI target portal group: 1"?
Or should it be group 0?

Looking good to me, here is a screenshot from my system:

grafik.thumb.png.630810494be5e888a7c91a71a9082cfd.png

10 hours ago, isvein said:

Is there some files that are not deleted when removing the plugin, because if there is some files I can delete I can try to reset it all 100% and try again and see if that helps.

I don't think that's necessary, I see you are trying to connect from a Linux initiator, maybe you have to turn off Authentication on that system or turn it on in iSCSI (but you have to do that through the command line if you really want to), for home use I would recommend to turn off Authentication.