Unraid OS version 6.12.4 available

ljm42

9 hours ago, ich777 said:

This should not happen, did you wait until the plugin update helper told you it‘s okay to reboot now via the Unraid notifications?

This is also something that should be reported in the Nvidia thread since it‘s a plugin.

I‘ll try this on my test machine later today.

EDIT: This is now resolved and I'll post a quick follow up in the Nvidia Driver thread.

And apologies for reporting the issue here, not appropriate. This was separately addressed in the proper plugin support thread!

And as always - YOU ROCK!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheIlluminate said:

About to update from 6.12.3 using the ipvlan work around as I was getting crashes.  I'm also using ubiquity UDMP and a 48 port switch so I'm wondering if there is anything I specifically need to do other then what's in the update notes?

Also would the 6.12.3 setup cause issues when trying to enable aggregation through my switch since my dell r730xd and the network card should support it?  Because every time I tried my system would not like it.  And if so would this update help fix that?

Thanks guys.

Switching to ipvlan should prevent crashes related to macvlan, because macvlan won't be in use.

If you ever have unexplained crashes, go to Settings -> Syslog Server and temporarily enable "Mirror syslog to flash", then after a crash you'll find the syslog on the flash drive in the logs folder.  That syslog will be useful in determining what happened. Don't leave this setting enabled long term though, as it adds a lot of writes to the flash drive.

There are several ways to do bonding, and some require special configuration of your switch. I recommend avoiding those because it is very difficult for anyone to provide remote support without fully understanding your network.

8 hours ago, bk101 said:

Quick question, if we want to follow the following steps do we do them BEFORE updating to 6.12.4 or AFTER updating?

"For those users, we have a new method that reworks networking to avoid this. Tweak a few settings and your Docker containers, VMs, and WireGuard tunnels should automatically adjust to use them:

Settings > Network Settings > eth0 > Enable Bridging = No

Settings > Docker > Host access to custom networks = Enabled"

Upgrade first

10 hours ago, KluthR said:

But thats not needed for the macvtap solution, right? Its just needed in case Host <-> containers want to talk, like ususal?

Correct, if you don't need communication between host/containers/vms then you don't have to enable this. But we figure 99% of people will want that so we included it in the list.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, CiscoCoreX said:

Hi,

Is this update gonna make some problems for me when I'm running like this?
I do have ab firewall that don't like when I use IPVLAN... when you have over 30 containers and all of the came up with same MAC address with different IP, I had problems to access my containers. That's why I use MACVLAN. Never hade any CALL TRACES error before.

Almost all my containers are using br0 network.

I would expect 6.12.x to throw call traces with this configuration.  If it does, then follow the guidance in the 6.12.4 release notes to mitigate. If not, then don't worry about it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ollebro said:

Updated from Version: 6.12.3 to Version: 6.12.4 and lost all my docker containers. Any tips on how to get them back?

This thread is perfect for quick questions or comments, but if you suspect there will be back and forth for your specific issue, please start a new topic. Be sure to include your diagnostics.zip.

Upgrade from 6.12.3 to 6.12.4 appeared to go OK, but I have a network card issue.

I have a 10gb fibre card, and onboard 1gb nic. These are set to a bond and it mainly uses the 10gb (onboard is enabled for WOL - a script after waking forces the 10gb card to be active).

My fibre card is constantly showing as disconnected (Interface Ethernet Port 1 is down. Check cable!) . Changing designations between eth0 and eth1 makes no difference.

It is listed in system devices as

[15b3:1003] 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500 Family [ConnectX-3]

The new system drivers shows two drivers:

mlx4_core    Mellanox ConnectX HCA low-level driver    Inuse    net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4
mlx4_en    Mellanox ConnectX HCA Ethernet driver    Inuse    net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4

I have the Mellanox Firmware Tools installed -  which seems to report the card OK.

Anyone else with this issue?

Edited by jsebright
add error message
11 hours ago, morreale said:

What exactly do I need to change when converting to ipvlan?  Does bridging need to be on or off? host access to custom networks?

Chances are, the only change you need to make is:

Settings > Docker > Docker custom network type = ipvlan

But here is some more info:

Settings > Network Settings > eth0 > Enable Bonding = Yes or No, either work
Settings > Network Settings > eth0 > Enable Bridging = Yes (must be yes to use ipvlan)
Settings > Docker > Docker custom network type = ipvlan
Settings > Docker > Host access to custom networks = Enabled (assuming you want that. disabled is ok too)

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, jsebright said:

Upgrade from 6.12.3 to 6.12.4 appeared to go OK, but I have a network card issue.

I have a 10gb fibre card, and onboard 1gb nic. These are set to a bond and it mainly uses the 10gb (onboard is enabled for WOL - a script after waking forces the 10gb card to be active).

My fibre card is constantly showing as disconnected (Interface Ethernet Port 1 is down. Check cable!) . Changing designations between eth0 and eth1 makes no difference.

It is listed in system devices as

[15b3:1003] 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500 Family [ConnectX-3]

The new system drivers shows two drivers:

mlx4_core    Mellanox ConnectX HCA low-level driver    Inuse    net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4
mlx4_en    Mellanox ConnectX HCA Ethernet driver    Inuse    net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4

I have the Mellanox Firmware Tools installed -  which seems to report the card OK.

Anyone else with this issue?

This thread is perfect for quick questions or comments, but if you suspect there will be back and forth for your specific issue, please start a new topic. Be sure to include your diagnostics.zip.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ljm42 said:

Switching to ipvlan should prevent crashes related to macvlan, because macvlan won't be in use.

if I don't have any issue on 6.11.5 with macvlan, should/can I stay on macvlan?

6.11.2 was crashing on me (freezing) with ipvlan ou macvlan... so I rolled back and been waiting since.

Edited by nka

Upgraded from 6.12.3 to 6.12.4 and it went mostly smoothly as everything is running fine and well now.

However, I followed the instructions and did shutdown the array before upgrading.  Upon reboot, unRAID briefly came online (web GUI and all) and then completely crashed.  This has happened upgrading to 6.12.0, 6.12.1, 6.12.2, 6.12.4; but NOT 6.12.3.  My IPMI records show this for each of the upgrades.  This is the ONLY time my machine has EVER crashed; only after the FIRST reboot after the four upgrades I have mentioned.  I have had this configuration since 2019 with very few changes.

Supermicro IPMI:

image.png.5acd424d85df98d07bc614f88ab0a052.png

unRAID IPMI plugin:

image.png.76d025bf1944b407007d6fcb62daf196.png

Above are my IPMI errors, one for each upgrade 😬.  When it crashes there is no cursor blinking at the terminal on the monitor connected to the machine, no ssh, no web GUI, but the IPMI fan control seems to be running as the fans are not at full speed.  I have to do a hard shutdown with the power button, and then of course a parity check starts on the next reboot which I always cancel because there will be no errors.

Also, after this update, for some reason my Deluge docker would not start.  I forced an update and it started fine after that.

I really don't like these crashes after moving to 6.12.x on my system.

Thanks for the update and kind regards,

craigr

17 minutes ago, nka said:

if I don't have any issue on 6.11.5 with macvlan, should/can I stay on macvlan?

6.11.2 was crashing on me (freezing) with ipvlan ou macvlan... so I rolled back and been waiting since.

6.12 has issues with macvlan where 6.11 did not. If you have macvlan enabled in 6.11 and make no configuration changes when upgrading, you will likely get call traces and crashes related to macvlan in 6.12.x

Switching from macvlan to ipvlan is still a valid solution for most people but 6.12.4 has an alternate solution that allows you to stay with macvlan if you would rather do that.

2 minutes ago, craigr said:

Above are my IPMI errors, one for each upgrade 😬.  When it crashes there is no cursor blinking at the terminal on the monitor connected to the machine, no ssh, no web GUI, but the IPMI fan control seems to be running as the fans are not at full speed.  I have to do a hard shutdown with the power button, and then of course a parity check starts on the next reboot which I always cancel because there will be no errors.

Also, after this update, for some reason my Deluge docker would not start.  I forced an update and it started fine after that.

I really don't like these crashes after moving to 6.12.x on my system.

That is confusing. There are a few things I would try if it were my system:

1) Check the bios for anything related to "fast boot" and disable it

2) Avoid rebooting. Instead, do a shutdown to power the system off fully and then start it back up.

3) Go to Settings -> Disk Settings and set "Enable Auto Start" to "no". This will ensure that if it crashes while booting, the array will not be affected. Of course, it also means you will have to manually start the array using the webgui once the system comes up.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, giafidis said:

I'm running 6.12.3 and using macvlan (no call traces, no crashes), since my Router is a fritzbox and i had problems with ipvlan. Can i leave my Network Settings as they are before and after updating to 6.12.4?

Sure. If you do end up with call traces then follow the instructions in the release notes to remediate them

17 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

That is confusing. There are a few things I would try if it were my system:

1) Check the bios for anything related to "fast boot" and disable it

2) Avoid rebooting. Instead, do a shutdown to power the system off fully and then start it back up.

3) Go to Settings -> Disk Settings and set "Enable Auto Start" to "no". This will ensure that if it crashes while booting, the array will not be affected. Of course, it also means you will have to manually start the array using the webgui once the system comes up.

Thank you for these ideas.  I like them all, though I think 2 & 3 have the most likelihood of providing some help.  After no crash upgrading to 6.12.3 I didn't worry, but next time I will be sure to write the log to flash as well and hopefully glean some information from that.

Thanks for your help and again kind regards,

craigr

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Not 6.12.x specific, but I have had similar experiences with my server when rebooting, so now I try to power down instead when it is necessary.  Likely not happening for the same reason for both of us, but thought I'd throw it out there as another data point.

• Like 1