unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc12 Available

As for "slow write", I have X9SCM-F m/b with a xeon E3-1270 on order (which is damn expensive btw) and I should be able to replicate the issue.

It seems, to me, that most, if not all, of the slow writes/parity checks are on systems with an MV8 installed.  I find it difficult to understand why the SCM should be afflicted and not the SCL or SCM-ii (unless it's some difference in the BIOS) - the hardware is so very similar.  Which E3 have you ordered - Sandy or Ivy?

The nfs stale file handle issue is a bugger because of how FUSE works.  The solution here is going to involve either a large amount of RAM or use of a swap device/file.

I don't quite understand why you were able to effect a significant improvement in the nfs stale file handle issue a couple of RCs back, but it suddenly became worse again between rc10 and rc11.  Did FUSE change between those two releases?

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, found something i think is very interesting.

After i tried rc12 with sf 1.0.5 allready on the system i saw the parity check speeds were horrible (40-50MB/s) compared to rc5/sf 1.0.5 (160MB/s)

So i re-installed rc5 and guess what... the SAME horrible speeds! This baffled me.

So i removed SimpleFeatures, and rebooted... (rc5) and speed was back (160MB/s).

I re-installed SF 1.0.5 using installplg and... the speed stayed up high.

So, i guess we need an addition to the up- or downgrade procedure, that states that SimpleFeatures should be REMOVED and RE-INSTALLED after an up - or downgrade.

Keeping SF on the system f*cks things up after upgrading. You HAVE to re-install it. Will place this warning at the Sf topic as well.

So i tested a bit more. I removed Simplefeatures again, and replaced rc5 with rc12 and rebooted.

Now i have NO simplefeatures, just unmenu and some plugins (sab/sick/dropbox/slimserver).

Parity speeds are now at about 150MB/s... that is still a little bit less then under rc5 (160MB/s) but acceptable.

This speed can be seen at the stock webgui and in unmenu.

Guess what. I've installed SimpleFeatures again (1.0.5) and the parity speed goes down to about 90 - 100MB/s... if you actually watch it IN simplefeatures gui.

Once you close the simplefeatures webpage, and go back to unmenu, you will see the parity speed increase to 150MB/s again...

Using the latest SimpleFeatures (1.0.11) is even worse, it basically stops the parity check with speeds from 20-30MB/s, which is unworkable.

Basically this means that SimpleFeatures can have a negative effect on the parity check performance of unraid.

It would be very interesting to find out why this is, and if it can be solved.

I know SF is not part of Limetech, but i think a lot of people use SF together with unraid and even regard it as one and the same.

At least Limetech should take a look at this and warn people about the possible sideeffects of SF, and it should be made clear that IF you are using SF, you should re-install it after an up- or downgrade.

So, my apologies to Limetech, rc12 is not as bad as i thought, the real problem is SimpleFeatures...

Ok, found something i think is very interesting.

After i tried rc12 with sf 1.0.5 allready on the system i saw the parity check speeds were horrible (40-50MB/s) compared to rc5/sf 1.0.5 (160MB/s)

So i re-installed rc5 and guess what... the SAME horrible speeds! This baffled me.

So i removed SimpleFeatures, and rebooted... (rc5) and speed was back (160MB/s).

I re-installed SF 1.0.5 using installplg and... the speed stayed up high.

So, i guess we need an addition to the up- or downgrade procedure, that states that SimpleFeatures should be REMOVED and RE-INSTALLED after an up - or downgrade.

Keeping SF on the system f*cks things up after upgrading. You HAVE to re-install it. Will place this warning at the Sf topic as well.

So i tested a bit more. I removed Simplefeatures again, and replaced rc5 with rc12 and rebooted.

Now i have NO simplefeatures, just unmenu and some plugins (sab/sick/dropbox/slimserver).

Parity speeds are now at about 150MB/s... that is still a little bit less then under rc5 (160MB/s) but acceptable.

This speed can be seen at the stock webgui and in unmenu.

Guess what. I've installed SimpleFeatures again (1.0.5) and the parity speed goes down to about 90 - 100MB/s... if you actually watch it IN simplefeatures gui.

Once you close the simplefeatures webpage, and go back to unmenu, you will see the parity speed increase to 150MB/s again...

Using the latest SimpleFeatures (1.0.11) is even worse, it basically stops the parity check with speeds from 20-30MB/s, which is unworkable.

Basically this means that SimpleFeatures has a huge negative effect on the performance of unraid and should be avoided.

It would be very interesting to find out why this is, and if it can be solved.

I know SF is not part of Limetech, but i think a lot of people use SF together with unraid and even regard it as one and the same.

At least Limetech should take a look at this and warn people about the possible sideeffects of SF, and it should be made clear that IF you are using SF, you should re-install it after an up- or downgrade.

So, my apologies to Limetech, rc12 is not as bad as i thought, the real problem is SimpleFeatures...

Limetech includes upgrade instructions that specifically state NOT to install any plugins WHAT SO EVER when testing the new RC's

I dont regard SimpleFeatures as a plugin?

Tom didn't write it, doesn't support it, so it's an add on to a stock system. Not sure how you can come to the conclusion that it is an officially sanctioned change to unRaid. Would it help if the term plug in wasn't used, rather say to remove all third party software?

I dont regard SimpleFeatures as a plugin? 'plugins' within SF are things like sabnzb, sickbeard, dropbox...

SF is just a replacement of the stock gui?

SimpleFeatures is a plugin...  It is not merely a different gui skin, it implements new and additional functions and features.

Can not access server on network.  Never had problems with any other Release. I hooked monitor up to server. It is booting but shows only local loop back with ifconfig no other interfaces.  tied to set eth0 and get device not found, I am not sure how to get back to a networkable state from here.

Thanks

Ed

Currently running RC12 on the system in my sig. No problems right now...

Start a parity check from SF and show us the speed at which it starts, and the speed after 10 or 15 minutes or so. And now do the same without SF, using either the stock gui or by closing SF and using unmenu...