PS3mediaserver

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably why PS3MS is not starting ::)

Crap it will not start, could it be my GO script......?

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu

# PS3 Media Server

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms

installpkg jre-6u11-i586-1.tgz

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms/mencoder

installpkg *.tgz

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms

./PMS.sh

what does the "./" do?

while troubleshooting i left off the "./PMS.sh" command in my go script so i can enter it manually. When i telnet in i noticed that "./PMS.sh" and "PMS.sh" command seems to do the same thing.

and Google is a joke when i search

./ command

bash ./ command

bash "./" command

Ajgoyt, Here's my go script for comparison. I know you're going to ask what the echo's do. They just start everything in the background 1 minute after booting. Let's things get normalized before they are started up. If you don't have p3ms start in the background you can't see/use the console, you'll only see ps3ms display it's status messages.

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

# PS3 Media Server

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms

installpkg *.tgz

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms/

echo "./PMS.sh" | at now + 1 minute

echo "/boot/unmenu/uu" | at now + 1 minute

what does the "./" do?

and Google is a joke when i search

Good joke!

People use "./command" instead of just "command" because (unlike windows) in Linux the current directory is normally not in the search path.

On unRAID it is, so it would not make a difference. (It would make a difference when you try to schedule jobs though).

Ajgoyt, Here's my go script for comparison. I know you're going to ask what the echo's do. They just start everything in the background 1 minute after booting. Let's things get normalized before they are started up. If you don't have p3ms start in the background you can't see/use the console, you'll only see ps3ms display it's status messages.

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

# PS3 Media Server

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms

installpkg *.tgz

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms/

echo "./PMS.sh" | at now + 1 minute

echo "/boot/unmenu/uu" | at now + 1 minute

Sorry for the late reply even trying your script didn't work - Warrior got close with his blog but there was some issues with the blog with certain files.....

I guess i will have to hookup a monitor to my box and see what the messages/errors i am receiving! :-\

Aj

I'd say delete everything and start from scratch. I did that after I figured out how to get it working just make sure "ghosts" from previous attempts were out of the machine.

Did you use the i486 package versions instead of the x86_64's?

When you unzip the pms-linux-1.10.5 you have to unzip the .tar file that's inside it into your p3ms folder.

Also add the files vwalien mentioned in his previous post to the mencoder folder.

I deleted all the files from the custom/ps3ms/mencoder folders - I downloaded all the files even the vwalien 3 files all onto my windows xp computer into a folder, Now you mention - Did you use the i486 package versions instead of the x86_64's?  See my folder screenshot in XP I have like 4 different i486 files so now I am getting really confused :-[

I have not unzipped any files to my flash drive custom/ps3ms/mencoder folders yet...... they are all sitting in my XP folder per i am confused again......

Aj

capture_17032010_220349.jpg.9598dc4e66d53f1ff90509853ccc4fd9.jpg

Ok got it - I hooked up a monitor to view the messages and it said that Java had no such file/ directory - I kept unzipping the jre-6ull-i586-1.tgz instead of just placing it in the folder, Now time to test with the PS3,,,,

I will report back..

thanks too all for your help.... :o

AJ

WARNING: COMPLETE NOOB;  ???

I have just built by unraid, installed PS3mediaserver, and server works 100%, PS3-75%.

I am hoping that someone can save me a couple of weeks of searching and already knows exactly what the install package (I used the script from the first page of this post, except for I updated to the current version of the Java package) installs in terms of codecs and packages.  I want to try and develop a new package with all of the most up-to-date components.

Plus, I would kill for an updated PMS.conf file.  I figured out how to point it to several different shares, but would love to customize the heck out of it.

Anybody that's upgraded parts of the package, I'd be interested to hear about what your experience has been.

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Unraid supports dual core CPU? I am currently running Unraid with a P4 and I can watch the VC-1 movie stream to my PS3 but choppy. I know PS3mediaserver supports dual core but will Unraid allow it to use the dual core? I would hate to swap out cpu/mobo for nothing if it doesn't work.

TIA

~joy

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Unraid supports dual core CPU? I am currently running Unraid with a P4 and I can watch the VC-1 movie stream to my PS3 but choppy. I know PS3mediaserver supports dual core but will Unraid allow it to use the dual core? I would hate to swap out cpu/mobo for nothing if it doesn't work.

TIA

~joy

Yes, it does.

Anyone else have a hell of a time getting thumbnails to show up on their PS3?  They are enabled in the .conf file.  I have tried fresh clean installs of both the OP instuctions and Warriors blog post.  I have tried various versions of FFMPEG, PS3MS, Java etc and nothing.  Every single time I get no thumbs just the big green triangle.  I have verified FFMPEG is working by encoding a file on the UNRAID server.  As well as not showing thumbs - I dont get video length info either it just says the date...

Other than that the thing works great.  I have PS3MS installed on my PC and when I view files there the thumbs show up no problem.  I have posted in the PS3MS forums and they pointed to a FFMPEG problem so I spent some time making sure that works.

In the debug log for PS3MS when it gathers media info for the files they all return null strings.

Anyone have any similar issues?  Do thumbs work for people normally?

Thanks,

Mark

Anyone else have a hell of a time getting thumbnails to show up on their PS3? 

Not sure this is what you're looking for but this is how I got the cover art to show up on my PS3.

Here's my folder structure:

MyMovies

ActionsFolder

ChildrenFolder

TinkerBellFolder

folder.jpg  <-----TinkerBell DvD cover art image

TinkerBell.m2ts <------ TinkerBell bluray file

TinkerBell2Folder

folder.jpg  <-----TinkerBell2 DvD cover art image

TinkerBell2.m2ts <------ TinkerBell2 bluray file

I also have the following in my PMS.conf

thumbnails = true

If you need more options from PMS.conf, this link will help.

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=254

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I wasnt referring to cover box images for movie files.  I was referring to automatically generated video thumbnails for a  directory listing.  So when you are on your PS3 looking at a PS3MS share in a directory full of video files you will see a thumbnail of that video 30s in to it.

UPDATE:  I dont know what I did really - I played around with some settings on my .conf file but it looks like the files on the share were somehow corrupted and wouldnt show thumbs at all.  When I added new files to the share the thumbs showed up fine.  I am in the process of readding the files to see if they show up with thumbnails.  Very odd but I am glad that it is working now.

I dont actually know what it works for and what it doesnt in Linux.  Mine seemed to work sometimes but then stop working - the thumbnails I am referring to.  I am actually not using the PS3MS anymore I broke out my Boxee on AppleTV and am using that - it isnt 1080 but the interface is pretty sweet and the web videos are nice too.  I will use this until the Boxee from Dlink comes out.

But the good thing is that it has its own renderer and supports SMB and doesnt need to transcode anything.  I was having audio issues on certain files and it just started to irritate me.

Dont get me wrong I love PS3MS and everything but the couple of hiccups were starting to get to me and I had the ATV being unused.

• 4 weeks later...

New Beta releases, as mentioned on PS3NEWS site.

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playstation-3-news/ps3-media-server-beta-v1-20-409-now-available-110630.html

Was going to copy the list of changes, but thought if anyone interested they'd know where to check the revision info.

My question, anyone updated to this Beta yet?  any changes needed for unraid packages to get it going?

Thanks

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

great work !!

Would it be possible for some of you, to make a section in Wiki with a how-to.

pretty please :-)

I agree! Right now I am using ps3media server on my win7 PC as the go between between! Any idea if/when ps3media server will allow one to play bluray/dvd with menu and chapter support?