[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hello,

Noob here just trying out Unraid on my server. I have a quick question. I installed Plex and used my plexpass to install the plexpass version. In my Plex settings for the server it says there is a new version available. How do I update it to the latest version? I am coming from Windows Server 2012 and I use to just download it and install it there every time a plexpass version came out.

Thank you.

Having a problem getting a fresh install of latest version to be able to sign into plex and claim the server. These lines from the PMS Log file seems to say that it can resolve the host name plex.tv.  I am using Unraid 6.1.9 and DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The docker network type is set to "Host".

Maybe the problem is curl_easy_perform?

Thank you for looking.

Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.914 [0x2b81e1001700] DEBUG - HTTP requesting POST https://plex.tv/users/sign_in.xml
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] ERROR - Error issuing curl_easy_perform(handle): 6
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] WARN - HTTP error requesting POST https://plex.tv/users/sign_in.xml (6, Couldn't resolve host name) (Couldn't resolve host 'plex.tv')
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] DEBUG - MyPlex: Did update authToken for 'kamhighway' (returnCode: -6)
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] DEBUG - MyPlex: Got a token poked, let's act on it.
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] DEBUG - Sync: onMyPlexSignOut

Update:  After much experimentation, I've reached the conclusion that this docker does not function properly on UR 6.1.9.  After upgrading UR to 6.2 RC3, I am now getting the expected behavior.  This may in fact be a problem with all dockers that have been updated to work with the version of docker included with UR 6.2. I suspect the version of docker included with 6.1.9 is not capable of running dockers that have been updated for UR 6.2.

Having a problem getting a fresh install of latest version to be able to sign into plex and claim the server. These lines from the PMS Log file seems to say that it can resolve the host name plex.tv.  I am using Unraid 6.1.9 and DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The docker network type is set to "Host".

Maybe the problem is curl_easy_perform?

Thank you for looking.

Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.914 [0x2b81e1001700] DEBUG - HTTP requesting POST https://plex.tv/users/sign_in.xml
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] ERROR - Error issuing curl_easy_perform(handle): 6
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] WARN - HTTP error requesting POST https://plex.tv/users/sign_in.xml (6, Couldn't resolve host name) (Couldn't resolve host 'plex.tv')
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] DEBUG - MyPlex: Did update authToken for 'kamhighway' (returnCode: -6)
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] DEBUG - MyPlex: Got a token poked, let's act on it.
Aug 01, 2016 12:16:24.915 [0x2b81e1001700] DEBUG - Sync: onMyPlexSignOut

Update:  After much experimentation, I've reached the conclusion that this docker does not function properly on UR 6.1.9.  After upgrading UR to 6.2 RC3, I am now getting the expected behavior.  This may in fact be a problem with all dockers that have been updated to work with the version of docker included with UR 6.2. I suspect the version of docker included with 6.1.9 is not capable of running dockers that have been updated for UR 6.2.

your conclusion would be erroneous in my opinion, since this or any other docker has not been update for 6.2 unraid.

your upgrade to 6.2 rc3 and the correct functioning of this docker in my mind are coincidental and unrelated as i beieve that the problem lied with the plex tv servers.

I'm using Version 0.9.16.6.

It's telling me I need to manually update it. I restart Plex via the docker and I get the same thing.

When I download the latest Unraid Plex Media Server it's version 1.0.3

What gives?

update the docker from the docker pane in unraid webui, to get on to the 1.x version.

Tried to update from Docker UI based on "update available" message. Got this error on download popup:

Error: layers from manifest don't match image configuration.

Deleted Plex docker and reloaded linuxserver template but still get the same error

docker: layers from manifest don't match image configuration.

No plex at all right now :(

Tried to update from Docker UI based on "update available" message. Got this error on download popup:

Deleted Plex docker and reloaded linuxserver template but still get the same error

You have to delete the docker.img and re-create your containers again.

You have to delete the docker.img and re-create your containers again.

thanks. That fixed it. Also fixed the ability to assign docker default appdata location to /cache/

Bunch of odd docker log entries while it installed. Anything that I need to fix here?

Setting up plexmediaserver (1.0.3.2461-35f0caa) ...

OK

Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...

Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...

‘/defaults/plexmediaserver’ -> ‘/etc/default/plexmediaserver’

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/90_chown_plex_owned_files.sh...

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/999_advanced_script.sh...

*** Running /etc/rc.local...

*** Booting runit daemon...

*** Runit started as PID 121

Starting Avahi daemon

Starting Plex Media Server.

Starting dbus-daemon

Found user 'avahi' (UID 104) and group 'avahi' (GID 107).

Successfully dropped root privileges.

avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.

dbus_bus_get_private(): Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

WARNING: Failed to contact D-Bus daemon.

avahi-daemon 0.6.31 exiting.

dbus[134]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

6 3000 /config/Library/Application Support

d

Aug 2 12:02:25 Tower syslog-ng[132]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'

Starting Avahi daemon

Found user 'avahi' (UID 104) and group 'avahi' (GID 107).

Successfully dropped root privileges.

avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.

No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol

Failed to create IPv6 socket, proceeding in IPv4 only mode

socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.

New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.168.1.8.

New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.

Network interface enumeration completed.

Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.

Registering new address record for 192.168.1.8 on eth0.IPv4.

Registering HINFO record with values 'X86_64'/'LINUX'.

Server startup complete. Host name is Tower.local. Local service cookie is 2948598702.

Hello,

I am trying to configure a symlink for my plex meta data since it is taking up a large portion of my cache drive. However it appears when i configure the symlink and start plex i get the following error:

WARNING COULDN'T CREATE /config/Library/Application Support, MAKE SURE I HAVE PERMISSON TO DO THAT!

In the above example I made a symlink for the Application Support folder. I have made sure to give the symlink the same privileges as the original Application Support.

I then tested making a symlink to just the Plex Media Sever folder but get the following on an endless loop:

unlimited

unlimited

Are symlinks supported with this Docker? Is there a better way for me to have my Plex metadata stored on the array and not the cache?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Is there a better way for me to have my Plex metadata stored on the array and not the cache?

Why not just change the /config mapping to point to some folder on the array? Of course you'd need to move it all there too.

I have considered that but I would like to keep the core software on the SSD if possible.

Is there a better way for me to have my Plex metadata stored on the array and not the cache?

Why not just change the /config mapping to point to some folder on the array? Of course you'd need to move it all there too.

I have considered that but I would like to keep the core software on the SSD if possible.

what version of unRaid.  Symlink (and more to the point hardlink) support on user shares isn't supported on 6.1.x and only works on 6.2RC3+  It should work however by using a disk share

Also, the core software is stored within the docker.img file, not within appdata

what version of unRaid.  Symlink (and more to the point hardlink) support on user shares isn't supported on 6.1.x and only works on 6.2RC3+  It should work however by using a disk share

Also, the core software is stored within the docker.img file, not within appdata

Still on 6.1.x

Maybe it is just easier to install it on a share off the cache then.

Thanks for the info

Still on 6.1.x

Thanks for the info

You'll have to use a disk share, not a user share.  IE: set /config to be something like /mnt/disk1/appdata/Plex and not /mnt/user/appdata/Plex.  Plex makes very extensive use of hardlinks which are incompatible with /mnt/user/... on 6.1.x

Still on 6.1.x

Thanks for the info

You'll have to use a disk share, not a user share.  IE: set /config to be something like /mnt/disk1/appdata/Plex and not /mnt/user/appdata/Plex.  Plex makes very extensive use of hardlinks which are incompatible with /mnt/user/... on 6.1.x

Okay I might give that a try!

Still on 6.1.x

Thanks for the info

But be aware that performance of the app as a whole (and transcoding in particular) is going to go downhill with appdata sitting on the array.  If you really make extensive use of Plex, your best solution is to either turn off thumbnail generation (which will save huge amounts of storage space, but you'll probably have to start the db over again from scratch to get rid of the existing thumbnails) or a larger cache drive.

Still on 6.1.x

Thanks for the info

But be aware that performance of the app as a whole (and transcoding in particular) is going to go downhill with appdata sitting on the array.  If you really make extensive use of Plex, your best solution is to either turn off thumbnail generation (which will save huge amounts of storage space, but you'll probably have to start the db over again from scratch to get rid of the existing thumbnails) or a larger cache drive.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll copy/pasta for now and see how it performs with the symlink and then I can roll back if needed.

Looks like hardlinks cannot be made for a directory anyways  :P

user@server:/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library# ln '/mnt/disk1/plex_metadata/Application Support' '/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support'

ln: ‘/mnt/disk1/plex_metadata/Application Support’: hard link not allowed for directory

It should be easy to map the plex library on the array but transcoding to cache.

Not sure where to post this.  I have been using Plex for a long time and really have not run into any issues.  However I seem to notice a a correlation between the latest beta release and my on deck display.  The files are showing as recently downloaded. they are showing the correct show name yet they are only displaying the episode number.  Looking at the file it is being properly renamed by sonar/nzbget. all tv shows that have been downloaded since 7/27 show the same symptoms.  just the show name and the episode number..  I have plex loaded on my cache drive and am currently  using 6.2.0-rc3.

As a side note I also run emby and it is not experience this issue. 

I am currently using Plex Version 0.9.16.6. It says there is an update but no matter what I do, I cannot get it to update. I have done everything from restarting my entire server to turning the plex server off and restarting it to just checking for updates on the server itself. Nothing is updating this thing and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

It has updated in the past but now refuses to do so.

I am currently running Unraid 6.1.9 using Linuxserver/plex:latest

container volume: /config  host path: /mnt/user/appdata/plex/  with read/write access

container volume: /mnt  host path: /mnt/  with read/write access

Please, help. Thanks!