[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Over the weekend, I changed from a Xeon Windows machine running Plex and an N54L running unraid with the data, to moving everything to unraid on the Xeon.

All generally went smoothly, but Plex seems to be using quite a bit of CPU.

I've taken screenshots of what I can find and hoping someone can offer a bit of guidance on what is causing this?

I see the scanner run periodically to increase CPU usage, but then drops when done. Also, when Plex isn't using that much CPU, the CPU generally sits about 2%.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 12.14.39.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 12.14.51.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 12.15.09.png

Did a recent container upgrade also update or upgrade python or maybe something else? I use a Plex agent & scanner plug-in for anime (ASS/HAMA) that is written in python and suddenly it stopped working correctly. I have not changed/updated the plug-in for months, so there shouldn't have been any changes to the plug-in code itself. One thing it does is pull down an xml from github and now that part is throwing an error as of yesterday.

Creating: /tmp/anime-list-corrections.xml
Error downloading ScudLee's file mod from local/GitHub 'http://rawgit.com/Dingmatt/AMSA/master/Plug-in%20Support/Data/com.plexapp.agents.amsa/DataItems/anime-list-corrections.xml', Exception: '<urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:590)>'
Creating: /tmp/ASS-tmp-anime-list-master.xml
Error parsing ScudLee's file mod content, Exception: '<urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:590)>'

I've dug through the code/py file some and it is using urlopen(URL).read() to try to grab the xml file. The creator isn't sure the cause, so trying to cover all bases to see where it stems from.

Plex forums link in case there is any interest. 

On 2/16/2018 at 9:06 PM, aptalca said:

According to the log, the server is up and running. Check your connection and/or the plex media server log in the config folder

interestingly enough, I had switched back to the plex official docker, which worked fine. After reading your post & switched back with no issues. Going to test a couple server reboots and see if the issue persists.

22 minutes ago, Jobine said:

Hi,

I installed the Plex version of Limewire. how can I replace it with the one of LinuxServer without loosing my database ?

Thank,

Might be useful to backup your plex appdata. Then,

In the Dashboard, click on the docker, select Edit, and change the Repository to linuxserver/plex

2 hours ago, sch1308 said:

My plex seems to be on a loop and never loads the webui, I have included diagnostics for unraid and the logs from plex. unraid-diagnostics-20180222-1809.zip  image.thumb.png.bf5ef5938fcd5106b0fc5c248703a471.pngPlex Media Server.log

You have a corrupt database. Google how to restore plex database from a backup. 

You may have an app (like plexemail) that connects to the plex database, or maybe you accessed the plex database with an sqlite editor while plex was running and the database got corrupted. 

I would like your guys input on what I suspect is a simple fix, total noob here.

I am trying to set an unassigned device in this case a SSD, to serve as my music drive for my Plex server. 

I am not able to find the drive path within Plex and I am unsure how to fix it.. I have attached pics of my settings, please if anyone could help it would be tremendous. 

5hvsw0F.png

D7wKQJ2.png

DdBCS6H.png

15 minutes ago, boianski said:

I would like your guys input on what I suspect is a simple fix

Looks like you didn’t set a container path when you set the path to your music share. Just click the edit button for that path and add a container path something like /music. Then you will see /music within the app. Also make sure you set the path as RW Slave.

Edited by wgstarks
7 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Looks like you didn’t set a container path when you set the path to your music share. Just click the edit button for that path and add a container path something like /music. Then you will see /music within the app. Also make sure you set the path as RW Slave.

:facepalm

thank you

Edited by boianski
2 hours ago, trurl said:

Is this what your looking for?

I believe @H2O_King89 wants to know if/when discrete graphics cards may be supported for transcoding in Linux/unRAID/Plex docker.  The instructions I provided in the post you referenced deal with enabling a CPU-Integrated graphics processor with Quick Sync Video support for transcoding purposes.  On some systems a discrete NVIDIA GPU can be used for hardware encoding, but, not on unRAID/Plex docker. 

The Plex "Using Hardware-Accelerated Streaming" page says this about decoding:

On Linux, hardware-accelerated decoding is not supported on NVIDIA GPUs. Intel Quick Sync is required for hardware-accelerated decoding.

And this about encoding:

Windows and Linux devices using NVIDIA GeForce graphic cards are limited to hardware-accelerated encoding of 2 videos at a time. This is a driver limitation from NVIDIA.

This would seem to indicate that encoding with an NVIDIA GPU is possible on Linux, but, it does not work in unRAID/Plex docker.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1

I'm Getting a "Conversion failed. Transcoder crashed or failed to start up" error. The file is just a mkv movie

But...only on the my Apple TV 4k, if I play the same file in the plex app on my Mac it works fine, if I play the same file on my iphone it plays fine. It's only the appletv that is not working, anyone know whats up with that?

Edited by ffhelllskjdje
On 19/02/2018 at 12:17 PM, WannabeMKII said:

Over the weekend, I changed from a Xeon Windows machine running Plex and an N54L running unraid with the data, to moving everything to unraid on the Xeon.

All generally went smoothly, but Plex seems to be using quite a bit of CPU.

I've taken screenshots of what I can find and hoping someone can offer a bit of guidance on what is causing this?

I see the scanner run periodically to increase CPU usage, but then drops when done. Also, when Plex isn't using that much CPU, the CPU generally sits about 2%.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 12.14.39.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 12.14.51.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 12.15.09.png

Is anyone able to help with this, as it still appears to be happening?

Hello, 

I am interested in using "Lock for Plex"

https://forestfirefly.github.io/lockforplex/

I have installed the plugin but I get errors during the installation of the install.sh script because the docker doesn't seem to be to keen on the use of sudo. I tried removing the sudo commands from the install.sh script, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue either. The plugin is available in plex but the locking just doesn't appear to work. Additionally the file wants to restart the service "plexmediaserver" but that doesn't appear to work inside the docker, as it appears some other modification was made, and I don't know enough linux to determine what that is. Here is the contents of the install.sh script I am trying to run. 

#!/bin/bash
# Init
FILE="/tmp/out.$$"
GREP="/bin/grep"
#....
# Make sure only root can run our script
if [[ $EUID -ne 0 ]]; then
   echo "This script must be run as root" 1>&2
   exit 1
fi

cd "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins"
sudo chown -R plex:plex Lock_for_Plex.bundle

cd "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Lock_for_Plex.bundle/Contents/Resources/lock_support/"
sudo a+x lock.sh
sudo a+x unlock.sh
sudo a+x sqlite3

service plexmediaserver restart

Any help is appreciated. 

Edited by guyonphone