[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

Hello all,

I have a problem with binhex-delugevpn. It has been working great for the past few months, but all of a sudden I am no longer able to reach the WebUI. My browser states 'unable to connect'. I have tried the following so far:

- different browser

- different machine

- reboot docker

- reboot Unraid

- remove and reinstall docker (through reinstall from previous apps)

As far as I'm aware I have not made any changes on the Unraid server, nor on my network. Maybe deluge was updated to a newer version, but I am not sure (how can I check?). I am using Surfshark by the way.

Can anyone help?
Please let me know if I need to provide logs of either deluge or Unraid.

Thanks a bunch!

Danny

36 minutes ago, Sten3danny said:

Hello all,

I have a problem with binhex-delugevpn. It has been working great for the past few months, but all of a sudden I am no longer able to reach the WebUI. My browser states 'unable to connect'. I have tried the following so far:

- different browser

- different machine

- reboot docker

- reboot Unraid

As far as I'm aware I have not made any changes on the Unraid server, nor on my network. Maybe deluge was updated to a newer version, but I am not sure (how can I check?). I am using Surfshark by the way.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch!

Danny

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

8 hours ago, binhex said:

this sounds to me like it maybe the libtorrentv2 issue, try appending a tag name of 'libtorrentv1' to your repository name, if you dont know how to do this then see Q5:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/unraid.md 

Thanks, going to give this a shot.

Doing some more troubleshooting - I installed your qBittorrentVPN container to compare how it functions to this deluge container. I found an interesting output comparison using the ps auxw | grep [containerID] command only after the deluge container failed again.

image.thumb.png.4b17e0eebdba3d9bd74fdb7eb657a75b.png

As you can see, the deluge docker (top one) has an extra process

root     29837  0.0  0.0 712464  9304 ?        Sl   04:45   0:00 /usr/bin/containerd-shim-runc-v2 -namespace moby -id d804d0f0a6a6ac93c2827dbb7f7ef95787be84809dbccc3270ea337de59c3304 -address /var/run/docker/containerd/containerd.sock

Killing this process returns fixed a lockup issue with the Unraid WebUI and finally shut down the deluge container.

The interesting part is the call traces from the unraid syslog appear to be correlated timing wise with the docker logs complaining about this locked up process? I'm way out of my depth here though.

Either way, will downgrade to libtorrentv1 and see if that starts solving the issue

8 hours ago, lrx345 said:

Killing this process returns fixed a lockup issue with the Unraid WebUI and finally shut down the deluge container.

The interesting part is the call traces from the unraid syslog appear to be correlated timing wise with the docker logs complaining about this locked up process? I'm way out of my depth here though.

nice to see somebody attempting to debug, but sadly that doesn't really tell me much :-(. For reference here is the link to the discussion regards the unraid host crash due to libtorrentv2:- https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/crashes-since-updating-to-v611x-for-qbittorrent-and-deluge-users-r2153/?do=findComment&comment=21671

Good news, after 15 hours of running on libtorrentv1 it seems to have stopped crashing. I'll update if it manages to crash again

8 hours ago, binhex said:

nice to see somebody attempting to debug, but sadly that doesn't really tell me much :-(. For reference here is the link to the discussion regards the unraid host crash due to libtorrentv2:- https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/crashes-since-updating-to-v611x-for-qbittorrent-and-deluge-users-r2153/?do=findComment&comment=21671

Doing the best I can with ChatGPT 😂

Thank you for the link! Going to read through.

• Like 1

Hey all!

Thank you binhex for this really useful tool.

I had a problem with setup that I managed to solve, and its a bit esoteric but I thought I'd put it here for posterity.

Here's the setup: arch-delugevpn on a fresh linux install. The storage layout is one 512GB NvME drive, with about 20TB of storage in a bulk ZFS pool (raid 1+0). I set up the container, hook in into my various tools, and should be PRESTO! Off to the races.

Except... deluge picks up and drops peers almost instantaneously, and my downloads are abysmal - uploads are non-existent. I tested with the current Arch linux ISO torrent to be sure it wasn't just a case of no seeders, and yeah... no dice. I have over 200 peers connected, but I'm only pulling down 0.1-0.5 KiB/s from anyone, for an anemic total of about 6 KiB/s.

I figure, must be a VPN thing. I had previously set this exact system up on Mullvad, like I am today. I read through the FAQs and noticed a strong recommendation that a static incoming port is set.

First of all: Mullvad is no longer supporting port-forwarding. However, as I was able to determine, that is not a limiting factor for bitTorrent. It can definitely be an issue for some setups, but P2P is not one of them. The bitTorrent protocol is already designed with NAT-punchthrough in mind; that's how it works. I'd be careful pointing users to that as it can lead on a wild goose chase.

Second, I decided to toggle the VPN off in the docker launch settings, just to see... and lo and behold the download speeds were still slow!

Aha!

This is when I had my epiphany: I had set up the docker file mappings for both data and config to be in the bulk ZFS pool! I set the config directory to a folder on the NVME and, yep: 10+ MiB/s down through Mullvad:
noDocker.thumb.png.71b8728d24ef995172722254a209a6d0.png

Go figure: when you try to write both all of your logs and transfer files to the same storage pool, you end up thrashing your storage and everything locks up. So - if you are using a JBOD with a filesystem layer like ZFS, BtrFS, or LVM... keep the logging on a separate block storage device.

Edited by Russec
typos
  • Like 1

I had to redo my unRAID server due to a corrupted USB thumbdrive from a bad power outage / brown out, and after getting everything up and running again using the latest version of unRAID (I was a couple of minor versions behind), I started having issues with getting the docker to run correctly. Investigation of the logs showed that openSSL was complaining "OpenSSL: error:0A00018E:SSL routines::ca md too weak" due to the cipher strength of my vpnunlimited OpenVPN ovpn file.

After a lot of trial and effort I determined that I needed to add the following line to my ovpn file 

tls-cipher "DEFAULT:@SECLEVEL=0"

This fixed the problem for me. I verified that my VPN is working correctly with privoxy.

wasn't sure if anyone else had a better solution for this problem, so wanted to share my solution in case it would help someone else later down the road.

Edited by Van Loggins
clarity, needed to fix how it read for clarity purposes
I had to redo my unRAID server due to a corrupted USB thumbdrive from a bad power outage / brown out, and after getting everything up and running again using the latest version of unRAID (I was a couple of minor versions behind), I started having issues with getting the docker to run correctly. Investigation of the logs showed that openSSL was complaining "OpenSSL: error:0A00018E:SSL routines::ca md too weak" due to the cipher strength of my vpnunlimited OpenVPN ovpn file.

After a lot of trial and effort I determined that I needed to add the following line to my ovpn file 

tls-cipher "DEFAULT:@SECLEVEL=0"

This fixed the problem for me. I verified that my VPN is working correctly with privoxy.

wasn't sure if anyone else had a better solution for this problem, so wanted to share my solution in case it would help someone else later down the road.

The correct solution is to get your VPN provider to stop using week ciphers, your work around is simply ignoring the problem.

Sent from my 22021211RG using Tapatalk

On 6/14/2023 at 1:29 PM, Sten3danny said:

Hello all,

- different browser

- different machine

- reboot docker

- reboot Unraid

Can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch!

Danny

Same issue here. Any luck sir?

7 minutes ago, strike said:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44109-support-binhex-delugevpn/?do=findComment&comment=1223362

Custom is not officially supported, switch to bridge if you want to use the webui. It can work, sometimes, but for the most part for most users it doesn't. 

Switched to bridge and it didn’t work. It seems the application is functioning, however. It’s only access to the web UI that seems to be broken.

3 minutes ago, gcalabro said:

Switched to bridge and it didn’t work. It seems the application is functioning, however. It’s only access to the web UI that seems to be broken.

Hmm.. Could be something related to the new unraid update then. I've seen a few people mention various network issues in other threads. But then more people should have reported issues here I think. Post a new log with bridge enabled please. 

20 minutes ago, strike said:

Hmm.. Could be something related to the new unraid update then. I've seen a few people mention various network issues in other threads. But then more people should have reported issues here I think. Post a new log with bridge enabled please. 

Pretty sure this is related to the update. Attached is the updated log after switching to bridge.

Found these in the log:

2023-06-22 10:37:44,927 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:

modprobe: FATAL: Module iptable_mangle not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.34-Unraid

2023-06-22 10:37:44,927 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:

[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module using modprobe, trying insmod...

2023-06-22 10:37:44,928 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:

insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko: No such file or directory

2023-06-22 10:37:44,928 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:

[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module, you will not be able to connect to the applications Web UI or Privoxy outside of your LAN

[info] unRAID/Ubuntu users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host: '/sbin/modprobe iptable_mangle'

[info] Synology users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host: 'insmod /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko'

[debug] Show name servers defined for container

supervisord.log

51 minutes ago, strike said:

This container stopped working for me after upgrading to 6.12, also, and I was already bridge networking. The symptom is the VPN can't connect because of "possible DNS issues". That could be because it just can't connect to anything due to a networking issue. I had been running 6.12 RC5 for a while, and I don't think I had any issues then. It only broke after upgrading to 6.12 final. I tried two different VPN providers with the same result. 

The binhex-qbittorrentvpn container works fine, though. 

Edited by WalkerJ

Bit of a loss of why my Deluge stopped working all of a sudden in 3 years. Here is the logs hoping something obvious stands out: thanks in advance for any help!

___.   .__       .__
\_ |__ |__| ____ |  |__   ____ ___  ___
 | __ \|  |/    \|  |  \_/ __ \\  \/  /
 | \_\ \  |   |  \   Y  \  ___/ >    <
 |___  /__|___|  /___|  /\___  >__/\_ \
     \/        \/     \/     \/      \/

Edited by crazybits
15 minutes ago, crazybits said:

Bit of a loss of why my Deluge stopped working all of a sudden in 3 years. Here is the logs hoping something obvious stands out: thanks in advance for any help!

First port of call - change your PiA credentials - you've just posted your username/password.

I'm guessing you've upgraded to Unraid 6.12.x?  I haven't but the posts directly above yours are reporting issues.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

First port of call - change your PiA credentials - you've just posted your username/password.

I'm guessing you've upgraded to Unraid 6.12.x?  I haven't but the posts directly above yours are reporting issues.

oops thanks

yes but i was having this issue pre-upgrade as well. 

3 hours ago, gcalabro said:

Found these in the log:

Unless you're outside your LAN that's not your issue. That error would have been there before 6.12 too.

Edit: Actually with the new unraid version and the changes to networking maybe deluge thinks your outside your LAN. Are you running zerotier or Tailscale by any chance? 

Edited by strike
3 hours ago, WalkerJ said:

The symptom is the VPN can't connect because of "possible DNS issues"

Yeah, that's not the same issue as the rest is having. The rest is having a successful start as far I can see. If your log states that you have possible DNS issues you should change your nameservers in the container template to something else, like maybe 1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8. PIA users have had this issue on/off for some time. So if you're a PIA user changing your nameservers is worth a shot. 

For you other guys/future posters reading this it will probably take some time to debug. So please enable debug logs and post them along with your diagnostics as well. Also write if your're using zerotier/Tailscale as that maybe could be a factor.

Edited by strike
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, strike said:

Unless you're outside your LAN that's not your issue. That error would have been there before 6.12 too.

Edit: Actually with the new unraid version and the changes to networking maybe deluge thinks your outside your LAN. Are you running zerotier or Tailscale by any chance? 

So your post got me thinking. I'm accessing deluge from a different subnetted vlan. I plug my computer into the same vlan/subnet as my unraid server and bam, deluge webui comes right up..

why only does deluge webui not work, im not sure. im going to look into this further later.

Edited by crazybits
3 minutes ago, crazybits said:

So your post got me thinking. I'm accessing deluge from a different subnetted vlan. I plug my computer into the same vlan/subnet as my unraid server and bam, deluge webui comes right up..

Yeah, that would do it. You could try to change back to your other vlan and run the command you see in your log on your unraid server and restart the container.

[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module, you will not be able to connect to the applications Web UI or Privoxy outside of your LAN
[info] unRAID/Ubuntu users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host: '/sbin/modprobe iptable_mangle'
[info] Synology users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host: 'insmod /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko'

If it works after that just set up a user script with that command and set it to run at array start.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, crazybits said:

why only does deluge webui not work, im not sure. im going to look into this further later.

if you have multiple subnets then specify them in LAN_NETWORK using a comma to separate each network

• Thanks 1