New package: LogMeIn Hamachi 2 for unRAID 4.5.x

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For what it's worth, I was able to do some digging and found out what to do.

Add this to my go script to keep things simple. Now if you forward port 666 to your unraid machine, hamachi won't have to proxy and will be much faster for you.

echo "Sock.UdpPort 666" > /var/lib/logmein-hamachi/h2-engine-override.cfg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 2 installs of unRAID 4.7 with Hamachi running great with settings persisting after a reboot. Just put together a 3rd server with unRAID 5.0-rc5. Been having issues getting Hamachi to re-install on reboot and getting settings to persist between reboots. Even after a manual installpkg from the command prompt, the settings were always wiped out.

I was able to solve this problem and finally get Hamachi working after reboots on 5.0-rc5 with varying suggestions and workarounds found in this thread. I am going to compile all the steps I had to accomplish to get it working below, in the hopes it may help someone else who is having a similar issue:

1. Download the Hamachi package from: http://gfjardim.googlecode.com/files/hamachi-2.0.1.15-i686-unRAID.tgz and save to /boot/packages

2. Install Hamachi from the command prompt:

installpkg /boot/packages/hamachi-2.0.1.15-i686-unRAID.tgz

3. Run the following commands to setup Hamachi, add the appropriate details:

hamachi login
hamachi set-nick NAME
hamachi attach [email protected]

4. Login to the Logmein website to accept the join request and add to the proper network

6. From the command prompt, run

h2control save

7. Check for a Custom folder in the /boot directory, make it if it doesn't exist:

mkdir /boot/custom

8. Copy the hamachi settings to the custom folder:

cp -r /var/lib/logmein-hamachi /boot/custom

9. Edit the 'go' file, add the following lines:

cp -r /boot/custom/logmein-hamachi /var/lib
echo "installpkg /boot/packages/hamachi-2.0.1.15-i686-unRAID.tgz" | at now + 1 minute

Reboot and verify your Hamachi connection starts. It will take 1 minute after unRAID boots before Hamachi will install, and anywhere from 10-30 seconds after it installs to turn on.

Special thanks to prostuff1 for the delayed install code, and to Etherealthe1st for the workaround to Hamachi not saving its settings, and of course gfjardim for the package itself!

Hi All,

For some reason my himachi has stopped working just like that .... I telnet my server and ran the command hamachi login again ..

and I get an error ...

Logging in .. failed, busy

anyone any idea, ......... ?

Kindly assist.

Tried reinstalling hamachi package as well and but get the same error while logging .... :(

I was wondering why people would want to use an unraid machine over vpn? The only usage i can imagine is to have my HD material or blurays available elsewhere, but internet speeds usually arent fast enough to play it anyway or even for copying... and upload speed is usually even worse.  Or is it just for maintenance purposes?

I've installed Hamachi for evaluation purposes using khaelor's post, and it is running and working. Using the Hamachi client on my (windows) pc i can browse all shares over the internet, as if they belong to my network, which is ok, and exactly what one expects :)

But... i do want to restrict access to some folders. My guess is that i have to create (extra) users in unRAID so i can restrict acces to user shares? But what names should those 'hamachi' users be? Normally (non-vpn) i'm using my 'DESKTOP' windows pc, with user 'jowi' to browse my unRAID folders. If i want to restrict access, i create a user 'jowi' on the unRAID machine, with the same password as i'm using under windows, to accomplish this.

But now, using hamachi i don't have a user 'jowi' but a user 'DESKTOP' (or whatever i've used as nickname, in this case i've used the machine name) There's not even a password? How do i make sure that a certain hamachi 'client' can not access some unraid user share?

• 3 weeks later...

You should be able to control access via unRAID users and share permissions. When I connect to my unRAID server from the Hamachi VPN, I get a login prompt. If I login as root I will see all drives and shares listed. However if i login as my xbmc user, I will still see all the shares listed, but I will not have access to them.

You could also probably export them as Hidden shares. You could still access them with your admin account at //hamachi-ip/share-name, but anyone logging in with a restricted account see the share name (or have access).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I manage to install Hamachi to my server running v5.0 RC3.

I install 'LogMeIn Hamachi' on my windows 7 PC.

created a network ID, when I try join to my unRAID, enter Network ID: as the nickname gave in 'hamachi set-nick NAME', then leave the Password blank. It would not join, saying I need password ..

help please ???

ok i updated the package myself

but be aware i don't take any responsability for this.... this is the first time i do something like this

only thing i did is updated the 3 files in usr/local/logmein-hamachi

made a new package with makepkg

uploaded that package to my public folder on dropbox

and updated the plg

attached is updated plg

Please rename .txt to .plg

~# hamachi check-update

Checking for updates .. ok

You are already running the latest version of Hamachi

the instructions are still same as the OP first post

and the gui page in utils/user applications still not working decently

somebody with real coding skills will have to solve that

Khaelors way also should still work

just use this package -> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56712716/hamachi-2.1.0.76-i686-unRAID.tgz

and adapt the new package name in his instructions

logmein-hamachi-1.0.3-noarch.txt

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed this, but don't know how to connect to my server???? how do I connect ?

What is that I have missed?? or don't understand ;-)

On LogMeIn Ignition I dint see my unraid, only my laptop

LogMeIn has 2 main products, the one you are familiar with is the desktop remote control.

Hamachi is their lesser known VPN product, and isn't used or managed in the same way. It will set up a secure tunnel to your server which will allow you to use the server from a remote location just like you were on the local network. I'm not familiar enough with hamachi to know for sure, but I don't think there is a hamachi client for ios, just osx, windows, and linux.

Hi

I have installed this, but don't know how to connect to my server???? how do I connect ?

What is that I have missed?? or don't understand ;-)

On LogMeIn Ignition I dint see my unraid, only my laptop

see picture attached

//Peter

It looks like you are in their remote desktop login product.

Try this link https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

If you are setting up for the free mesh vpn network. The basic setups is to install the hamachi client on the machines. With one machine create a network, this machine becomes that master and will be the one to approve other machines joining your network. I used my home windows 7 machine as the OS X and Windows clients have a GUI.

You might be able to do the same through their website, but I've haven't used that method.

One limitation with the free mesh vpn setup is that it is limited to 5 machines. However, a machine can belong to multiple networks. So, one tedious way around this is to create multiple networks and ensure that each machine has access to another by having the same membership in at least one network.

• 1 month later...

ok i updated the package myself

but be aware i don't take any responsability for this.... this is the first time i do something like this

only thing i did is updated the 3 files in usr/local/logmein-hamachi

made a new package with makepkg

uploaded that package to my public folder on dropbox

and updated the plg

attached is updated plg

Please rename .txt to .plg

~# hamachi check-update

Checking for updates .. ok

You are already running the latest version of Hamachi

the instructions are still same as the OP first post

and the gui page in utils/user applications still not working decently

somebody with real coding skills will have to solve that

Khaelors way also should still work

just use this package -> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56712716/hamachi-2.1.0.76-i686-unRAID.tgz

and adapt the new package name in his instructions

When you update the 3 files under usr/local/logmein-hamachi. Did you extract the 3 files from logmein-hamachi-2.1.0.81-x86.tgz and replace the files in the folder and then restart the server ?