[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

I know it's OT, but have to ask anyway since Transdroid has been discussed here previously:

My Transdroid client now completely stopped working with qbt 4.3.3.

After installing the TD interim version (as a result of the breaks in in qbt 4.2.0) from time to time the error message "Access denied (Please check your settings)" appeared. Brief reload (pulling screen down) and everything worked fine again until the next time.

Now (for about two days or so) the reload does not work anymore.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I am on Unraid 6.90, qbt 4.3.3 and TD 2.5.19.

Thanks, everyone.

Edited by whauk
Spelling
  • Like 1

I'm having issues getting qBit to download from Sonarr/Radarr etc. The containers are running through PrivoxyVPN. Sonarr grabs the files and qBit receives the requests, but the files keeps getting stuck on "Downloading Metadata" and nothing happens. I've checked to see if Privoxy is running and it's enabled via the webui. When I test a torrent link through Ipleak, I can see that qBit is using the proxy/VPN.

I have qBit's incoming connection port set at 9585, but I've noticed that Ipleak always lists the port as 1 (even if I set the container to use random ports on start up). I've included the logs after a fresh start up.

sonarr sprvsrd.log qB sprvsrd.log

On 3/3/2021 at 3:13 PM, MsDarkDiva said:

I'm having issues getting qBit to download from Sonarr/Radarr etc. The containers are running through PrivoxyVPN. Sonarr grabs the files and qBit receives the requests, but the files keeps getting stuck on "Downloading Metadata" and nothing happens. I've checked to see if Privoxy is running and it's enabled via the webui. When I test a torrent link through Ipleak, I can see that qBit is using the proxy/VPN.

I have qBit's incoming connection port set at 9585, but I've noticed that Ipleak always lists the port as 1 (even if I set the container to use random ports on start up). I've included the logs after a fresh start up.

sonarr sprvsrd.log 4.83 kB · 0 downloads qB sprvsrd.log 3.39 kB · 0 downloads

I'm having similar issues since updating the container last night. It just won't connect at all. Nothing will upload or download. But when I run "curl ifconfig.io" in the console it shows me the correct VPN IP and there's nothing that stands out to me in the logs. Previously when this happened I could get around it by randomizing the port it uses in the settings but that doesn't seem to be working now either.

I've tried rebooting the container, as well as shutting it down for a bit and then back on. I've tried force updating the container as well, no change. The weird thing is I see the DHT nodes counter at the bottom going up after I reboot it. So it seems to be communicating, just won't run any torrents. I haven't made any other unraid/network changes since updating the container.

EDIT: I let the container sit there for 15 minutes and it seemed to start working, albeit quite slowly. Only a couple of my torrents have downloaded the metadata and even then they are running quite slowly. But when I turn on my PIA VPN from another computer on the same network and connect to the same node, I can run a speedtest and get 700 down/350 up. I don't know why it's behaving so strange.

EDIT 2: Things appear back to normal after about 30 minutes. Potentially just VPN problems or issues with the specific torrents in question maybe

Edited by zerosk

Another one with issues with privoxy since the latest update. All the Arr's can not connect to anything when set to use the proxy on either qbittorrent or the privoxy docker itself.

If I set it to use an NZBgetVPN docker that is based on an older version of your template, everything works just fine (same if I disable the proxy).

Setting my browser to use privoxy is VERY slow to the point of basically not working, it will load speedtest.net but actually starting the test never seems to happen even after several minutes.

After some testing if I revert the privoxy docker to :3.0.30-1-01

And the Qbittorrent docker to :4.3.3-1-02

Both work perfectly again.

It seems to be this latest round of updates that is causing the issue.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I'll give it a try. 

I've just started my unraid server and trying to get everything working as I want. 

I read many threads here and on reddit etc. Watched a lot of spaceinvaders etc. 

But I'm looking for some help/advice for my qbittorrentvpn docker. 

I've got an array with 5 data drives and 2 parity. 1 cache drive and 2 unassigned drives. 

I've got shares on my array with "movies" and "tvshows". But I want to use either my cache ssd or unassigned ssd for downloading, before the torrents are moved to the array for continuous seeding and for my plex library. 

I know you can use a folder for  incompleted and a folder for completed. But I want to divide them into my "movies" and "tvshow" shares on the array. 

I see that you can out new torrents in categories. But I can't figure out if it's even possible to do what I want. 

Even with or without "the mover". I don't want to try to move torrents that's not finished. 

8 minutes ago, Sweina said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I'll give it a try. 

I've just started my unraid server and trying to get everything working as I want. 

I read many threads here and on reddit etc. Watched a lot of spaceinvaders etc. 

But I'm looking for some help/advice for my qbittorrentvpn docker. 

I've got an array with 5 data drives and 2 parity. 1 cache drive and 2 unassigned drives. 

I've got shares on my array with "movies" and "tvshows". But I want to use either my cache ssd or unassigned ssd for downloading, before the torrents are moved to the array for continuous seeding and for my plex library. 

I know you can use a folder for  incompleted and a folder for completed. But I want to divide them into my "movies" and "tvshow" shares on the array. 

I see that you can out new torrents in categories. But I can't figure out if it's even possible to do what I want. 

Even with or without "the mover". I don't want to try to move torrents that's not finished. 

Keep it simple.

Here's my docker setup:

version: '3.7'
services:
  qbittorrentvpn:
    image: binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn
    container_name: qbitvpn
    volumes:
      - /mnt/citadel-library:/data
      - /container-data/qbitvpn:/config
    environment:
      - PUID=99
      - PGID=100
      - TZ=America/Chicago
      - VPN_ENABLED=yes
      - VPN_USER=p#######
      - VPN_PASS=abc123def456
      - VPN_PROV=pia
      - VPN_CLIENT=openvpn
      - STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=no
      - ENABLE_PRIVOXY=yes
      - LAN_NETWORK=192.168.1.0/24
      - WEBUI_PORT=25514
      - UMASK=000
    cap_add:
      - NET_ADMIN
    ports:
      - "6881:6881"
      - "6881:6881/udp"
      - "25514:25514"
      - "8118:8118"
    restart: unless-stopped

And my unraid is setup with a simple "library" share, under which I have the following directory setup:

root(library)

|

+---\incomplete

|

+---\movies

|

+---\music

|

+---\torrents

|

+---\tvshows

All my dockers access my unraid through "data" inside the docker webUI's.

The cache is seamless.

9 hours ago, mooky said:

Keep it simple.

Here's my docker setup:

version: '3.7'
services:
  qbittorrentvpn:
    image: binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn
    container_name: qbitvpn
    volumes:
      - /mnt/citadel-library:/data
      - /container-data/qbitvpn:/config
    environment:
      - PUID=99
      - PGID=100
      - TZ=America/Chicago
      - VPN_ENABLED=yes
      - VPN_USER=p#######
      - VPN_PASS=abc123def456
      - VPN_PROV=pia
      - VPN_CLIENT=openvpn
      - STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=no
      - ENABLE_PRIVOXY=yes
      - LAN_NETWORK=192.168.1.0/24
      - WEBUI_PORT=25514
      - UMASK=000
    cap_add:
      - NET_ADMIN
    ports:
      - "6881:6881"
      - "6881:6881/udp"
      - "25514:25514"
      - "8118:8118"
    restart: unless-stopped

And my unraid is setup with a simple "library" share, under which I have the following directory setup:

root(library)

|

+---\incomplete

|

+---\movies

|

+---\music

|

+---\torrents

|

+---\tvshows

All my dockers access my unraid through "data" inside the docker webUI's.

The cache is seamless.

So you got a large library share with subfolders? After all I read that's not the best way, if you don't want plex to spin up every drive to just watch a movie och just one TV show.. 

Tell unraid to spin disks down in settings, and then use the "dynamix cache dirs" unraid application.    I find this the simplest solution to not have problems between your download client and radarr/sonarr/etc.

EDIT: You can also use "split levels" in your unraid share to designate and help steer where things go, as well as included and excluded disks.

Edited by mooky
On 3/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, zerosk said:

EDIT: I let the container sit there for 15 minutes and it seemed to start working, albeit quite slowly. Only a couple of my torrents have downloaded the metadata and even then they are running quite slowly. But when I turn on my PIA VPN from another computer on the same network and connect to the same node, I can run a speedtest and get 700 down/350 up. I don't know why it's behaving so strange.

EDIT 2: Things appear back to normal after about 30 minutes. Potentially just VPN problems or issues with the specific torrents in question maybe

Thanks for the updates. Unfortunately, no matter what I did or how long I let it sit, it never got working. After doing more research, I found the problem is not uncommon, but the suggested fixes didn't work for me... So, I switched to Deluge, which worked right off the bat. I may try it again at some point, however I'm just beginning to set everything up, which is enough of a challenge!

57 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

Anyone else suffering from super slow speeds? I use Pia but nothing downloads faster 500-600Kb/s

Normally get around 20Mb/s

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Are you using Wireguard? I use to get really slow normal like speeds and every since I switched to Wireguard my speeds are above 50+mbps on torrents.  I am using the Vancouver Endpoint as well it seems to be the fastest. I tested all the Canada and Mexico endpoints :) I am on the WestCoast so whichever one is closer to you might be faster. 

Edited by SiRMarlon

Are you using Wireguard? I use to get really slow normal like speeds and every since I switched to Wireguard my speeds are above 50+mbps on torrents.  I am using the Vancouver Endpoint as well it seems to be the fastest. I tested all the Canada and Mexico endpoints  I am on the WestCoast so whichever one is closer to you might be faster. 
Not using wireguard. Using France nextgen but recently it's gone so slow.

Looks like I will need to figure out how to switch to wireguard

8 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

Not using wireguard. Using France nextgen but recently it's gone so slow.

Looks like I will need to figure out how to switch to wireguard

It's super EASY ... go to the container settings and edit where it says OPENVPN to Wireguard. You will see a new folder called WireGaurd in the docker folder. Inside you are going to see a wg0 config file open it and add the endpoint you want to use then just save the file and restart the docker.

make sure you add the :1337 at the end

image.png.218a60f77a1caa51085208af7ee5354b.png

I would install the speedtest CLI in the container and test diff endpoints to see which one is going to be the best for you

open the terminal window from the docker and run the following

pacman -S speedtest-cli

and then just run speedtest-cli from the prompt to check your speeds. 

Edited by SiRMarlon
  • Like 1

Maybe I need to delete the docker and template and start a fresh as I am not seeing openvpn or wireguard option

I have drop down for pia, airvpn or custom

Current speedtest results show

sh-5.1# speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Datacamp Limited (138.199.27.191)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by ONLINE S.A.S. (Vitry-sur-Seine) [135.61 km]: 44.914 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 72.53 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 27.98 Mbit/s
sh-5.1# 

UPDATE
Changed Peer Connection Protocol to just TCP and now getting 18MB/s

Edited by bally12345

Hi Binhex,

thanks for all your work, just a quick question regarding qBittorrent vpn running on UNRAID, since I had to change the internal IP range I am struggling to get to the Webinterface when the vpn is enabled. 

The closest I got to resolve this matter is in an openVPN forum stating that there is an issue in the iptables.sh file and export LOCALIP="192.168.1.0/24" is not correctly set.

Still relatively new to docker and am not sure how to resolve the issue. The Container Variable: LAN_NETWORK is set to 192.168.1.0/24.

This was working flawlessly before on my old IP range and I am unsure where things are going wrong atm.

With the VPN switched off I can get to the Webinterface just fine and have to assume that the vpn split tunnel for the access of the LAN is the issue?

Any idea? Are you able to point me into the right direction?

Thanks

4 hours ago, bally12345 said:

Maybe I need to delete the docker and template and start a fresh as I am not seeing openvpn or wireguard option

I have drop down for pia, airvpn or custom

Current speedtest results show

sh-5.1# speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Datacamp Limited (138.199.27.191)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by ONLINE S.A.S. (Vitry-sur-Seine) [135.61 km]: 44.914 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 72.53 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 27.98 Mbit/s
sh-5.1# 

UPDATE
Changed Peer Connection Protocol to just TCP and now getting 18MB/s

It's the one right below where it says pia ... the VPN Client is what you are going to change from OPENVPN to Wireguard. You are going to get speeds way faster speeds on wireguard then on OPENVPN. But like I said you are going to want to test different endpoints as well to see which one is going to be the fastest one for you! :)

image.png.5f183fc72c461a0d41d20c9e18466686.png

1 hour ago, Hakunamatata said:

Hi Binhex,

thanks for all your work, just a quick question regarding qBittorrent vpn running on UNRAID, since I had to change the internal IP range I am struggling to get to the Webinterface when the vpn is enabled. 

The closest I got to resolve this matter is in an openVPN forum stating that there is an issue in the iptables.sh file and export LOCALIP="192.168.1.0/24" is not correctly set.

Still relatively new to docker and am not sure how to resolve the issue. The Container Variable: LAN_NETWORK is set to 192.168.1.0/24.

This was working flawlessly before on my old IP range and I am unsure where things are going wrong atm.

With the VPN switched off I can get to the Webinterface just fine and have to assume that the vpn split tunnel for the access of the LAN is the issue?

Any idea? Are you able to point me into the right direction?

Thanks

What is your internal IP Network set to? Because it's supposed to match to what you are using. So if you are not using 192.168.1.0/24 then it's not going to work.

2 hours ago, SiRMarlon said:

What is your internal IP Network set to? Because it's supposed to match to what you are using. So if you are not using 192.168.1.0/24 then it's not going to work.

It is, I went from 192.168.178.0/24 to 192.168.1.0/24, it was easier that way around, the only thing that is acting up is qBittorent with VPN on, everything else works as expected.

10 hours ago, SiRMarlon said:

It's the one right below where it says pia ... the VPN Client is what you are going to change from OPENVPN to Wireguard. You are going to get speeds way faster speeds on wireguard then on OPENVPN. But like I said you are going to want to test different endpoints as well to see which one is going to be the fastest one for you!

image.png.5f183fc72c461a0d41d20c9e18466686.png

I had to delete my origial docker and reinstall as mine is using the old template.

All sorted now getting 60MB/s :D

Edited by bally12345
  • Like 1

Out of curiousity, are the IP Leak issues with qBittorrentvpn still a thing? Since the update was made about the ip leakage and an update to this container was released, my USG4P has been throwing DHT announce messages out once every 4 minutes. ie.

Threat Management Alert 1: Potential Corporate Privacy Violation. Signature ET P2P BitTorrent DHT announce_peers request. From: 192.168.1.100:20541, to: 172.98.71.202:20541, protocol: UDP

172.98.71.202 points to the PIA endpoint for Montreal.

I've also tested this with the binhex-rtorrentvpn container and do not get these logs, which to me means it's specific to this container. I'm unable to swap to rtorrentvpn however for other reasons (not relevant to this issue).

Prior to the update, this wasn't happening at all. If this is expected behaviour, I'll learn to live with it but every 4 minutes for over a week is a lot of log file.

Edited by evakq8r