[PLUGIN] Disk Location

Update 2024.02.11

• Commit #269 - Set SMART "command timeout" to disabled by default. Because of Seagate drives it makes more sense to disable this monitoring by default, like Unraid does. If you already installed Update 2024.02.09 or 2024.02.10 you might need to disable it manually (if you need/want to).
  • Commit #268 - Make a bit more space for more info. Moved the sort buttons below the text to save some space on short columns.

Minor convenience update for the larger Overhaul '24 update (yes, I know I'm one day ahead, but that's how I roll): 

Edited by FlamongOle
28 minutes ago, FlamongOle said:

When did you get that? What did you do before getting that error? That column does not exist anymore, so wonder what happened there.

You can get that error on ainstall on the developer edition (or the normal version) and going to the settings.  But if you delete the pre-existing /boot/config/plugins/disklocation folder you'll get past it

At the same time, php error log shows 

10-Feb-2024 16:52:30 America/New_York] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function fetchArray() on bool in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php:438
Stack trace:
#0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(760) : eval()'d code(21): require_once()
#1 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(760): eval()
#2 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/template.php(94): require_once('/usr/local/emht...')
#3 {main}
  thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 438

37 minutes ago, Squid said:

You can get that error on ainstall on the developer edition (or the normal version) and going to the settings.  But if you delete the pre-existing /boot/config/plugins/disklocation folder you'll get past it

At the same time, php error log shows 

10-Feb-2024 16:52:30 America/New_York] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function fetchArray() on bool in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php:438
Stack trace:
#0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(760) : eval()'d code(21): require_once()
#1 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(760): eval()
#2 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/template.php(94): require_once('/usr/local/emht...')
#3 {main}
  thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 438

Would not delete the entire disklocation contents, but only the disklocation.sqlite database in that case. Backup has been made of earlier version, and once I figure this out, it would work after database upgrade.

2 hours ago, martspret said:

Getting this error.

no such column: "smart_nvme_data_units_read"

Could you run this for me, and post it:

sqlite3 /boot/config/plugins/disklocation/disklocation.sqlite -cmd "PRAGMA user_version" ".schema disks" ".quit"

This will tell me which version of the database it went through, and also the layout of the disks table. I don't see any link between the PHP fatal error and the missing smart_nvme_units_read as it's two different tables.

Update 2024.02.12

• Commit #271 - BUG: Due to a bug in the database upgrade, I have now checked multiple scenarios why it happened. It should be solved. Also made it possible to access limited functions during database errors for restoring older databases. Version 2 and below is not supported anymore (very old databases: 2019-06-19 and earlier). They will be deleted (but not from the backup) and a new fresh database will be created.

@martspret @Squid @Masterwishx you could try now, should hopefully work 😛 

For a complete list of changes since the Overhaul '24:

Edited by FlamongOle
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, martspret said:

Thanks for looking into this error. I’ve been on the road. The update seemed to fix the problem. Missing an nvme or two in the list.

For missing drives, always try "Force scan all", also see if the drives have been put under "deleted", it will show an additional form of "Undelete" under system tab IF that's the case. Otherwise hidden.

The installation does not run "Force scan all", but just scanning through drives that are not marked as "standby". I'm not sure if all nvme devices across brands reports/get detected the current status.

Question for the group:   I run "Disk Location" plugin.  I noticed earlier today, I have a "Warning" on 3 different drives for the same reason --- "Command Timeout is above 5".  When looking at these three drives (all Seagate), the command timeout SMART data shows  1 1 1 whereas some other Seagate drives  show SMART data of 0 0 0.   I am actively preparing replacements at this time but the thing that has me curious is Unraid still reports these drives as "OK".  My nightly Unraid report lists all drives and any potentially errors/issues and none are identified.  Is there a reason why Unraid doesn't report the "Command Timeout" issue as a pre-failure condition?  Anything I should know on this?

EDIT - And of course, I should have searched first, asked second.  I see Update 2024.02.11 identified this issue and I would need to set to "Disabled".  I guess for my education, is this really a pre-warning condition?  Should I be concerned? I don't knwo much about this "Command Timeout" line item and curious to understand it and why your plugin sees it as a pre-failure condition but Unraid doesnt?

Edited by Hawkins12
24 minutes ago, Hawkins12 said:

Question for the group:   I run "Disk Location" plugin.  I noticed earlier today, I have a "Warning" on 3 different drives for the same reason --- "Command Timeout is above 5".  When looking at these three drives (all Seagate), the command timeout SMART data shows  1 1 1 whereas some other Seagate drives  show SMART data of 0 0 0.   I am actively preparing replacements at this time but the thing that has me curious is Unraid still reports these drives as "OK".  My nightly Unraid report lists all drives and any potentially errors/issues and none are identified.  Is there a reason why Unraid doesn't report the "Command Timeout" issue as a pre-failure condition?  Anything I should know on this?

EDIT - And of course, I should have searched first, asked second.  I see Update 2024.02.11 identified this issue and I would need to set to "Disabled".  I guess for my education, is this really a pre-warning condition?  Should I be concerned? I don't knwo much about this "Command Timeout" line item and curious to understand it and why your plugin sees it as a pre-failure condition but Unraid doesnt?

From what I understand, Command Timeout is probably nothing to worry about on Seagate devices. I have some myself showing numbers of several millions, and they still work without issue. Looks like their implementation of Command Timeout is  different than other brands, and also within Seagate itself or so. But good that you read the forum for solution in the end, I was a bit upset at first until I read all your text hahah ;) 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

Why is my NVME drive showing as 'not present' ?

image.thumb.png.0628dfc59cabb4c28fee0c65adbaa2ab.png

image.png.cb5a4cb233d65eda3fc61e3ae6619ae8.png

I dunno... hard to say. What did you try to do? Have you read the forum thread for possible solutions or which logs/output from commands you might give me that might be useful?

10 minutes ago, FlamongOle said:

I dunno... hard to say. What did you try to do? Have you read the forum thread for possible solutions or which logs/output from commands you might give me that might be useful?

I haven't tried anything special, just wanted to add my single m.2 to the dash. I am curious how it can show device not present yet show me the SMART status and temperature. Let me know what logs you need.

image.png.ca21cf691e6a7c537c59661c8baad6d1.png

image.png.32228b7e2b995f19aec67feb1360b12b.png

Then 

4 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

I haven't tried anything special, just wanted to add my single m.2 to the dash. I am curious how it can show device not present yet show me the SMART status and temperature. Let me know what logs you need.

Then please read through the forum, at least the 5 last pages should give enough hints. I'm just gonna repeat myself over and over otherwise.

7 minutes ago, FlamongOle said:

Why I am asking is, did you try "Force scan all"?

Yes, a few times, same result

The only difference with my nvme device is no LUN or FF is listed compared with my other drives which are all OK.

image.png.84fcface2f16f27086e2bd893116f436.png

Edited by mikeyosm
9 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

Yes, a few times, same result

The only difference with my nvme device is no LUN or FF is listed compared with my other drives which are all OK.

As long as it has it's own serial number, you should be good to go regardless of what SMART-info it find from the devices.

The "Device not present" is just looking up on what Unraid has put it's state as. Do you see anything odd under "Main" tab looking at the drive there? Is the drive icon grey, or does it show something else?

3 minutes ago, FlamongOle said:

As long as it has it's own serial number, you should be good to go regardless of what SMART-info it find from the devices.

The "Device not present" is just looking up on what Unraid has put it's state as. Do you see anything odd under "Main" tab looking at the drive there? Is the drive icon grey, or does it show something else?

Looks OK on the main tab

image.thumb.png.e2f394b182dc96e0fe0370321da83269.png

18 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

Looks OK on the main tab

image.thumb.png.e2f394b182dc96e0fe0370321da83269.png

I think I know what it is. The nvme device does not give any status of if it's in standby or not, and as this is an unassigned device it won't receive the typical status from Unraid either.

I must find another way of checking the nvme devices. There's probably no reason to why it should report as active, idle or standby as an SSD. I have mine in ZFS and that gives different infos, so haven't seen or tested unassigned nvme.

I might come up with a fix later tonight, but I'll see what I manage and bother :P Regardless, nothing to worry about as the you get temps and SMART OK (which is enough to know it's present really).

9 minutes ago, FlamongOle said:

I think I know what it is. The nvme device does not give any status of if it's in standby or not, and as this is an unassigned device it won't receive the typical status from Unraid either.

I must find another way of checking the nvme devices. There's probably no reason to why it should report as active, idle or standby as an SSD. I have mine in ZFS and that gives different infos, so haven't seen or tested unassigned nvme.

I might come up with a fix later tonight, but I'll see what I manage and bother :P Regardless, nothing to worry about as the you get temps and SMART OK (which is enough to know it's present really).

I thought i might have something to do with unassigned devices/nvme, thanks for confirming. It would be awsome if you could fix it, the plugin is very useful and for me would make it 'complete'. 

• Thanks 1