[PLUGIN] Disk Location

4 minutes ago, arthfink said:

I have a quick question. I am running unraid on my DELL R710 with a PERC-H700 where each disk in its own RAID 0 pool. 

After Unraid include the option to define the controler SMART finely worked as well as the Temps. 

image.thumb.png.061580a5aab70f4044e84c59744d7e0b.png

Is there a similar option in the Plugin? Because it didn't add the drives automatically. 

I have not looked into that and how they do it, don't count on it any time soon as I am quite busy with my real life at the moment :P 

16 hours ago, FlamongOle said:

I have not looked into that and how they do it, don't count on it any time soon as I am quite busy with my real life at the moment :P 

Okay no problem. 
Could you perhaps tell me where the scripts a located? When using a RAID Card, the command for smart look like that:

smartctl -a -d megaraid,1  /dev/sdb

If i am not completely wrong, only the  "megaraid,1" part is added. Maybe this small fix would fix the plugin for me. 

On 9/6/2023 at 7:15 PM, snowmirage said:

Minor bug I may have found.  Unless I just don't understand when the background colors should get updated.

I have 2 drives 1 that is parity, and one as an unassigned device, that both show up with the "data" color still.

image.png.f972884d324fbdae7d1ff3a5ade37261.png

Have you tried to go to "Tray Allocations" and check if the colors has been added as "Custom color"? They override the common config.

Also, you can try to "Reset All Colors" with the button at the bottom. If I remember correctly, this should only reset custom colors.

• Thanks 1

Update 2023.09.13

Commit #230

• FEATURE: SMART controllers should now be supported. Currently only supporting controllers defined by "per device", and not global in Unraid (probably).
  • "Force Scan all" button is moved under "System" tab with more information.
  • Automatic SMART scanning during installation and updates is now disabled entirely, use Force Scan All.

No, this was not a small fix.

@arthfink you might be interested.

16 hours ago, FlamongOle said:

Update 2023.09.13

Commit #230

• FEATURE: SMART controllers should now be supported. Currently only supporting controllers defined by "per device", and not global in Unraid (probably).
  • "Force Scan all" button is moved under "System" tab with more information.
  • Automatic SMART scanning during installation and updates is now disabled entirely, use Force Scan All.

No, this was not a small fix.

@arthfink you might be interested.

Thanks, that's great to hear!
I have updated the plugin and one additional drive was found. So in general, the process seams to work.

But only one of the 5 HDD was found, could you think of a reason why that is? 

image.thumb.png.e8845e42128614d6c28252c89f2c9695.png 

On 9/8/2023 at 10:48 AM, FlamongOle said:

Have you tried to go to "Tray Allocations" and check if the colors has been added as "Custom color"? They override the common config.

Also, you can try to "Reset All Colors" with the button at the bottom. If I remember correctly, this should only reset custom colors.

That was exactly my issue thank you!

I keep that window on a side monitor and never even noticed the custom color option as it was off the edge of the screen.

That reset fix it all.

31 minutes ago, arthfink said:

Thanks, that's great to hear!
I have updated the plugin and one additional drive was found. So in general, the process seams to work.

But only one of the 5 HDD was found, could you think of a reason why that is? 

image.thumb.png.e8845e42128614d6c28252c89f2c9695.png 

I have no idea, however, new update rolling out soon which accepts the global unraid setting.

And some other thing..

Update 2923.09.14

•  Commit #227 - FEATURE: Added "percentage used" and other NVME SMART data to the plugin. Should cover TBW.. ish.
  •  Commit #232 - FEATURE: Include global SMART controller and autorenew cron script.
  •  Visible Frontpage Information is slightly rearranged, LUN info broken and removed.

"Force Scan All" under System tab is advised to run after the update.

@FlamongOle After updating, I could see that the new parameters were indeed added to the command and correct for my configuration but still only one of the 5 Drives conducted to the controller is added to the Database.

Is there a why I can get a script that dumps the log from "Force Scan All"? Maybe that would help to debug why only one of the drives gets pick up 

15 minutes ago, arthfink said:

@FlamongOle After updating, I could see that the new parameters were indeed added to the command and correct for my configuration but still only one of the 5 Drives conducted to the controller is added to the Database.

Is there a why I can get a script that dumps the log from "Force Scan All"? Maybe that would help to debug why only one of the drives gets pick up 

Almost, there's a manual way of getting the debug info:

open unraid terminal and edit this file:

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php

set the variable $debugging_active to 1:

$debugging_active = 1;

save the file, run "Force Scan All", copy the text from the output and paste it into a text file (within 60 seconds, yes, auto-refresh still active).

Then send me the file privately if you don't wanna share the data publicly (serial numbers etc.), but please leave the log as it is as I need to know what might cause the issue.

Then disable the variable again, 0:

$debugging_active = 0;

GL;HF

Edited by FlamongOle
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I am running a Dell 720xd with 24 drives attached. The raid card is a H710mini and each drive is configured as raid 0. This was working a while back but then stopped. The only drive it shows is my nvme cache drive. I was wondering what I can try to get this to work again on my server. 

On 10/28/2023 at 11:40 PM, herc5854 said:

Hello,

I am running a Dell 720xd with 24 drives attached. The raid card is a H710mini and each drive is configured as raid 0. This was working a while back but then stopped. The only drive it shows is my nvme cache drive. I was wondering what I can try to get this to work again on my server. 

How long ago did it work? In your case, did you configure the SMART controller type for each raid 0? 

I have a similar setup and it never worked.

2 hours ago, arthfink said:

How long ago did it work? In your case, did you configure the SMART controller type for each raid 0? 

I have a similar setup and it never worked.

Figured it out, I had swapped raid controller and needed to flash it back into IT mode. When you do that you will loose everything but once it is back up the drives will show up.

This tool is great. I really like the ability to "see" my servers layout.

I don't know if this has been asked or if I am just not paying attention, but is there a way to rearrange these:

image.thumb.png.c92627101baa4737f569efcf3f473fa3.png

without having to remake them all again? I have been looking for a way to move the columns left or right so that I could move the Motherboard column back before the Motherboard Tray column. This would be a lot simpler if there were arrows to rearrange the order of the columns than removing 3 columns and recreating them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2023 at 2:34 PM, DawnTreader said:

This tool is great. I really like the ability to "see" my servers layout.

I don't know if this has been asked or if I am just not paying attention, but is there a way to rearrange these:

image.thumb.png.c92627101baa4737f569efcf3f473fa3.png

without having to remake them all again? I have been looking for a way to move the columns left or right so that I could move the Motherboard column back before the Motherboard Tray column. This would be a lot simpler if there were arrows to rearrange the order of the columns than removing 3 columns and recreating them.

No there is not a way to move them around. The only way is to remove them all and set up the way you want it.

Hi, so, currently evaluating unraid vs other options for a new storage server in a Quanta 1u chassis, this plugin is pretty cool, and while I certainly have easy access to drive serial numbers, the locate function is how I actually found this as that's a feature that's appealing.

It doesn't seem to work on my machine unfortunately, my drives are all connected with an LSI3008 in IT mode, on some quanta backplanes, with single lights. They don't actually flash for drive activity oddly, just purple when initializing and then blue when done and a drive is connected.

However windows storage spaces is able to blink the backplane lights to locate a disk, despite this. I'm wondering if there's any sort of diagnostics or info I can provide so that you can try and increase compatibility with more backplanes?

It also seems like any SSD, even if it's not in the cache pool, is marked as a cache, I'll likely end up with an SSD only share, marking those drives as the relative data and parity would be nice, but I'm guessing that's more a limitation with unraid interpreting how drive types are used.

This sort of thing probably has been asked before but I need to sleep so figured I'd just post. already ended up ruining my chance at a good amount of rest, again with projects lol.

Edited by JunctionRunner
  • 2 weeks later...