[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

No worries at all! ;)

So still nothing in the Steam Server Browser?

Do you have maybe another computer on the network that you can try to connect to or search it?

Still nothing in the Steam Server Browser 😕 (I usually refresh it after every modification lol)

Unfortunately I don't have another computer to test with at the very moment but maybe in a few days (friend).

20 minutes ago, kjpolker said:

Still nothing in the Steam Server Browser 😕 (I usually refresh it after every modification lol)

Unfortunately I don't have another computer to test with at the very moment but maybe in a few days (friend).

Please keep me updated about your findings…

Can you maybe try to set up a CS Source container and see if this is working or better speaking if you can see it in the Steam Server Browser?

Default port is 27015

35 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please keep me updated about your findings…

Can you maybe try to set up a CS Source container and see if this is working or better speaking if you can see it in the Steam Server Browser?

Default port is 27015

CS Source showed up instantly upon forwarding the port (or perhaps coincidentally between it not showing up initially and me forwarding the port). Even more interesting...

image.thumb.png.1fba3785f4ad783b41db3735186cf90c.png

Valheim stopped to test this (I have not made changes to Valheim since last post and it still resides at complete default settings when spooled up).

If curious, I did spool up Valheim again after this screenshot (with CS Source running), refreshed the Servers list and no difference.

Edited by kjpolker
1 hour ago, kjpolker said:

If curious, I did spool up Valheim again after this screenshot (with CS Source running), refreshed the Servers list and no difference.

I really don't know what's going on on your system.

Please start the Valheim container, start the game itself, go to Multiplayer and click on Direct connection, enter you ServerIP:2456 (this port is needed to connect from inside the game - it should be also enough to enter only your ServerIP in game).

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I really don't know what's going on on your system.

Please start the Valheim container, start the game itself, go to Multiplayer and click on Direct connection, enter you ServerIP:2456 (this port is needed to connect from inside the game - it should be also enough to enter only your ServerIP in game).

Tried all the following and nothing 😕 to include the ServerIP and tried my ExternalIP. I even removed all mods from my valheim game folder and reset it to new with no luck, deleted the port forwarding rule and reimplemented it. Verified in the Unraid directory the app ID and game ID was accurate. At this point I will try on another computer and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by kjpolker

@ich777 Okay so on a second computer I was able to see the server populate in the Steam browser for a short few seconds then hide, but I CAN connect to it via there as well as within Valheim by entering the Server IP on my local network. At this point I am not sure what's going on with my desktop computer. I couldn't ask for any more information from you unless you have any expertise on what could be going on or for me to look into, I am at a loss why this would be any different... The docker seems to be fine and I do really appreciate your assistance and time. Unfortunately something seems to be off on my desktop network or configuration.

Edited by kjpolker
17 minutes ago, devnet said:

Are you sure you have all the Valheim ports forwarded for Steam?  I looked them up on Port Forward dot com and it said the following:

• TCP: 27015, 27036
  • UDP: 2456-2457, 27015, 27031-27036

I do not believe all those are necessary, I did find that reference on one site but almost all other sources point towards 2456-2458 UDP. Nevertheless I just opened all those and no luck on Desktop.

I am an idiot. I disabled my firewall and saw the server, so I knew what to look for. I had 2 Valheim rules set up in both Inbound/Outbound Rules. So when I checked numerous times I saw that the ports were forwarded through my firewall. However, upon deleting the Outbound rule up popped another outbound rule for Valheim that was red, I opened it amd saw that it had 'Block the connection' checked... Meaning I had conflicting rules that I did not notice (One set up correctly that I had previously checked, and another that was being blocked). These were never set by me to my knowledge but maybe I did at some point a long time ago, I usually never open my Firewall and trust windows to prompt me and handle it.

For anyone else experiencing issues, perhaps check your rules for the following in both Inbound/Outbound.

image.png.730265fa82db6e72bee907a9b5b6d804.png

I do apologize for all the hassle and appreciate all the help more than you know, I will be donating.

Thank you.

Edited by kjpolker
Better details
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, devnet said:

I looked them up on Port Forward dot com and it said the following

Only ports 2456 to 2458 UDP are needed.

Please be aware that there are plenty of sites out there which have wrong ports documented and simply open up all Steam ports wich is basically a security risk.

My templates have all the necessary ports in them and I even specify the protocol needed in the description or the name from the port itself in the template.

18 hours ago, ich777 said:

Something seems off with the files when verifying the installation, can't tell what this error is exactly because I've never seen such an error before...

Do you have enough free space on your device?

Is it possible for you to stop the container, rename the folder for squad to something different like "squad-backup" in your appdata directory and start the container again?

With this the container will pull the files again from Steam so that you can see if a fresh installed container is working and you have all your "old" data in the backup directory as mentioned above.

Wouldn't change anything at all.

You can of course do something like:

docker container logs CONTAINERNAME

from the Host (Unraid) and of course change CONTAINERNAME to the exact container name, case sensitive or even better write it to a file in the appdata directory:

docker container logs CONTAINERNAME > /mnt/user/appdata/LOGNAME.log

so that you can access it from your network.

Simply go to the app store and search for any installed app that you have installed, there is a Donation button. You'll find also a Donation button on the first page of this thread.

Thanks, I did a fresh install of the gameserver Docker as you suggested and copied over the config files, it seemed to have worked. 

I'll do this in future should I ever have a similar issue.

Thanks for the tips on the logs, I'll be referring back to this post frequently I am sure.

Enjoy the beers.

Many thanks,

Zee

35 minutes ago, Zee-Unraid said:

I'll do this in future should I ever have a similar issue.

This shouldn't happen usually and a validation should be enough, as said above I've never seen such an error like in your log, sorry...

Next time it should work hopefully without the need of doing all of this again.

35 minutes ago, Zee-Unraid said:

Enjoy the beers.

Really much appreciated! :)

• Thanks 1

Im trying to create a Valheim server but I cant connect to it remotely. I can connect locally no problem using "add server" in game. Docker config looks the same as kjpolker, advanced docker view shows the same (bridge, minimal CPU and RAM usage). Port forward should be correct.

image.png.ba90551ca32e87205f4b4d82c7b0621b.png

Edited by Bouxer
49 minutes ago, Bouxer said:

Im trying to create a Valheim server but I cant connect to it remotely. I can connect locally no problem using "add server" in game. Docker config looks the same as kjpolker, advanced docker view shows the same (bridge, minimal CPU and RAM usage). Port forward should be correct.

image.png.ba90551ca32e87205f4b4d82c7b0621b.png

With this whole thing being fresh in my mind, while waiting for a more appropriate answer I can say double-check the following:

• Verify the port is being forwarded to the correct IP, this can be done by hovering over the Server name in the upper right of Unraid.
  • Switch the protocol to UDP instead of BOTH. Shouldn't matter but can you forward a range 2456-2458 instead of 3 separate?
  • Regarding above, check your Firewall for Inbound/Outbound rules like the below image (and make sure it is allowed 😅)
  • Try connecting to the server via your public IP. This can be done by going to whatismyipaddress dot com or from Unraid by opening the terminal and entering the following 'wget http://ipecho.net/plain -O - -q ; echo' once that is obtained enter it within game. Example in picture below.

image.png.c4868e623fec94f348f708b6144a7e4f.png

image.thumb.png.ed4dd86a40d0ba1c6ac8265d99ef0813.png

It will automatically append the suffix to include :2456.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bouxer said:

bridge, minimal CPU and RAM usage

2GB of RAM is minimal... :D

1 hour ago, Bouxer said:

Im trying to create a Valheim server but I cant connect to it remotely. I can connect locally no problem using "add server" in game.

Did you try it from your local network with your public IP, if yes, maybe try it from another network and see if it's the same.

Sometimes hair pin NAT is not properly set up up or working in routers.

Do you have a static IP?

Are you sure that you are not behind a CG-NAT?

How do I pass additional server specific parameters into the Conan Exiles docker?  There is some sort of formatting issue I am running into

GAME_PARAMS takes "ServerName=test111" just fine, but not "ServerName=Test TEST".  No spaces. 

Ich , do you know how to pass more than one set of variables to the Conan Exiles docker, which may or may not have spaces?  I don't want to have a server without spaces!  And I also need to pass other variables like serverRegion=US

unraidConanConfig.jpg

5 hours ago, zozz said:

GAME_PARAMS takes "ServerName=test111" just fine, but not "ServerName=Test TEST".  No spaces. 

May I ask why do you want to do that in the GAME_PARAMS?

Just edit the Engine.ini and it should work just fine and it should have all the parameters in there by default if I'm not mistaken.

By default the file is located in:

.../appdata/ConanSandbox/Saved/Config/WindowsServer/Engine.ini

This is way easier and not that tedious.

Anyways you should be able to pass it over with:

-ServerName='Name with spaces' -ServerRegion=US

(but I'm not too sure if these are the right parameters for ConanExiles, it should also work with:

-ServerName=Name with Spaces -ServerRegion=US

You are missing the -

12 hours ago, ich777 said:

2GB of RAM is minimal... :D

Did you try it from your local network with your public IP, if yes, maybe try it from another network and see if it's the same.

Sometimes hair pin NAT is not properly set up up or working in routers.

Do you have a static IP?

Are you sure that you are not behind a CG-NAT?

Well not that minimal compared to other dockers I guess :D

As I understand it NAT-loopback should be on by default on ASUS-routers and cannot be turned off (setting removed in some semi-recent firmware)
My ISP does not use CG-NAT (89.XXX...) and the IP is only refreshed when the fiber optic media converter is restarted (so very rarely). I have duckdns setup in case of a refresh (that address does not work either)

Loopback works for other sevices (e.g. Plex)

I have tried both the IP and the DNS-name, from both a Windows and Linux (Manjaro) desktop. Both can connect locally but not cannot find it in the server list.

Is there any logs I could provide to help?

12 minutes ago, Bouxer said:

As I understand it NAT-loopback should be on by default on ASUS-routers and cannot be turned off (setting removed in some semi-recent firmware)

I really can't tell for sure if this is the case on ASUS Routers because I use OPNsense.

Have you yet tried to connect from outside your network if it is reachable?

My ISP does not use CG-NAT (89.XXX...) and the IP is only refreshed when the fiber optic media converter is restarted (so very rarely). I have duckdns setup in case of a refresh (that address does not work either)

But that doesn't mean that it is not CG-NAT, just for clarification.

Valheim can also resolve hostnames just fine since this is how I am using it.

Loopback works for other sevices (e.g. Plex)

Do you have any other services available else than Plex too?

Is there any logs I could provide to help?

No, because this seems like a pure forwarding issue, also please not as said above to only forward the ports with the according protocol like specified in the Docker template, some game servers won't work if you forward the wrong protocol.

Is it maybe possible that your ISP is blocking UDP requests by any chance? If other services work just fine, except for Plex, chances are high that something else is going on here.

I've also seen ISPs blocking certain ports and so on.

As said above I and also a few people who are playing on my server don't have any issue connecting to Valheim with my public IP or Domain name regardless if on my network or not.

Apologies if I'm dumb or this has been answered before;

I can't access any of the server files, or even see a location that matches what my container path is set to, picture belowimage.thumb.png.3204cc4aa494c3bbb65b2aaf5ec6be99.png

below is a picture of the directories in my appdata, as you can see there is no valheim directory

image.thumb.png.fee25db3516b92202086cc30398b807f.png

and here you can see inside the cache drive appdata directory that there is still no valheim sub folder

image.thumb.png.eaf413fd21755fd9683168d2550271d9.png

None of the steamcmd folders have a valeheim directory. The server is currently functioning fine, but if I ever have issues and want to restore a backup I have no way of accessing the files. Can anyone help me figure out where it is reading and writing to? My only other hint is that my cache drive generates read/write numbers while the server is running, indicating that the files are in there somewhere. I just cant find them. 

4 minutes ago, tkingsleyg said:

my cache pool is named "cache" and I only have drive 2 installed right now, "cache2"

image.thumb.png.67121889faf819161c0b2327cf312e93.png

A multi-disk pool is a single volume. You can't access these disks separately. So /mnt/cache2 isn't a path to storage (it would be a path created in rootfs, which is in RAM). The correct path to that pool would be /mnt/cache

• Like 1