[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

Howdy, 
I have been trying to get your satisfactory dedicated server working. I can connect to the server via local lan ip but it won't accept my port forward from my OPNSense router. I have tried to do everything with no fix and I am not sure what next steps I should take.

No one is able to join via my ip, they are able to join the valheim server I have hosted through your docker

Edited by thedogs
5 hours ago, thedogs said:

No one is able to join via my ip, they are able to join the valheim server I have hosted through your docker

Did you change anything in the template?

Please double check if you forwarded the ports with the correct protocol from the template (please don‘t forward other ports or add a protocol that isn‘t listed).

I'm a newbie on GameServers, and could use some advise.....

- Is there a step by step tutorial somewhere? I could not find one.

- Should I be able to connect to ACC with Server IP +9201 port? The log file show:

0 client(s) online
New connection received 176
1 client(s) online
TCPQueue now: 557
==ERR: Uninitialized Connection 29 timed out (1191705 - 1189705 = 2000)
Removing dead connection 29  (last lastUdpPaketReceived 1191705)
Alive connections: 0

- Is it Nvidia Support in the Docker

- Must the Steam headless docker be configured for ACC to work.

Happy for any feedback. 

3 hours ago, frodr said:

I'm a newbie on GameServers, and could use some advise.....

Please note that this is a dedicated server and not the client side.

3 hours ago, frodr said:

- Is it Nvidia Support in the Docker

No, why? This is only the dedicated server and you need no HW acceleration, the game is not rendered.

3 hours ago, frodr said:

- Must the Steam headless docker be configured for ACC to work.

No.

3 hours ago, frodr said:

- Is there a step by step tutorial somewhere? I could not find one.

My containers are Load'n'Play, of course you have to forward the ports in the case for ACC otherwise the container, or better speaking the dedicated server will reboot constantly.

You only have to forward the ports from the template with the appropriate protocol in your router.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please note that this is a dedicated server and not the client side.

No, why? This is only the dedicated server and you need no HW acceleration, the game is not rendered.

No.

My containers are Load'n'Play, of course you have to forward the ports in the case for ACC otherwise the container, or better speaking the dedicated server will reboot constantly.

You only have to forward the ports from the template with the appropriate protocol in your router.

I don't have to forward when connecting on a LAN? 

I have a feeling I do not understand how it is supposed to be working. Is Gameserver for remote gaming, or is it local gaming PC connecting to the Gameserver?

1 hour ago, frodr said:

I don't have to forward when connecting on a LAN? 

In the case for ACC you have to, otherwise the server won't work.

1 hour ago, frodr said:

I have a feeling I do not understand how it is supposed to be working. Is Gameserver for remote gaming, or is it local gaming PC connecting to the Gameserver?

ACC requires you to forward the ports otherwise it won't work and the server will loop.

For most other server it's true what you are saying but not for ACC, the master server needs to connect to your server otherwise it won't work properly.

• Thanks 1

Regarding the Valheim docker. Would it be possible to have the backup settings reflect the automated backups handled by Valheim instead? Right now Valheim is doing backups and on top of that the docker settings will do a separate backup on top of that. With huge worlds this means many GB of data used on the cache drive. Personally I would rather have the options to change the amount of automatic backups and the time intervals for that as it's built into the dedicated anyway.
There are plenty of really useful settings for this, -saveinterval, -backups, -backupshort, -backuplong would all be useful if we could set it up easier here.

Also, now that people keep asking more and more about xbox and crossplay, there's no obvious way to change the -crossplay and -instanceid

29 minutes ago, Bjurran said:

Would it be possible to have the backup settings reflect the automated backups handled by Valheim instead? Right now Valheim is doing backups and on top of that the docker settings will do a separate backup on top of that. With huge worlds this means many GB of data used on the cache drive. Personally I would rather have the options to change the amount of automatic backups and the time intervals for that as it's built into the dedicated anyway.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correct but you can always set this value to false:

grafik.png.bdbec9d25783be26e6d2b0e0375232b6.png

This will disable the backup function from the container itself and you can use the (now) integrated backup function from the dedicated server.

31 minutes ago, Bjurran said:

Also, now that people keep asking more and more about xbox and crossplay, there's no obvious way to change the -crossplay and -instanceid

I really don't know if that isn't obvious, since it says you can enter your extra startup parameters in the description from the variable itself:

grafik.png.47accda22a8555095f15c46c324a6e1d.png

These commands are appended on startup and you can even use your command line switches from above like you've mentioned:

33 minutes ago, Bjurran said:

-saveinterval, -backups, -backupshort, -backuplong

Valheim container in a restart loop every 10 seconds or so. I just installed with mostly default settings. My AppData share is already set to: Prefer: Cache. I was able to capture the log output just before it closes and restarts. Is this the relevant bit?

[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamNetworkingUtils003 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded

Here is the screenshot of the log just before it restarts:

Picture3.png.3b95f466c851659d6bf919f463c81764.png

And here is my template:

Picture1.thumb.png.1ac4feada159b688c620a09a261790d1.png

Picture2.thumb.png.ee4694523924be35ed825a8a1090f24c.png

Edited by VelcroBP
redacted server name in pic
1 hour ago, VelcroBP said:

Valheim container in a restart loop every 10 seconds or so. I just installed with mostly default settings. My AppData share is already set to: Prefer: Cache. I was able to capture the log output just before it closes and restarts. Is this the relevant bit?

Please disable ValheimPlus and see if it is working without it.

[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamNetworkingUtils003 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded

This is not a real error message and you can ignore that, a few lines above you can see that the Steam API was successfully initialized.

Though it is no longer in a restart loop, I am unable to connect from my gaming PC. I get "Failed to connect".

I've tried:

1. using the local network IP (192.168.1.175:2456)

2. connecting via domain -- I've created a CNAME at my domain (via cloudflare) and a matching proxy host in the NPM container on unRaid.

3. Disconnected VPN on my gaming PC

4. I am using R2ModMan on the gaming PC, and I have tried launching both Vanilla and Modded (with only BepInEx enabled) 

Though it is no longer in a restart loop, I am unable to connect from my gaming PC. I get "Failed to connect".

Please try it without mods fist if possible, you are making it harder for yourself that it is...

Are you sure that you have BepInEx enabled on the client too? If not you can't connect to it.

Even enabling BepInEx on the vanilla game won't let you connect if it's not enabled on the client and/or you have installed different mods.

1. using the local network IP (192.168.1.175:2456)

This is the wrong port, the query port is 2457 IIRC

2. connecting via domain -- I've created a CNAME at my domain (via cloudflare) and a matching proxy host in the NPM container on unRaid.

Why, this isn't even necessary.

4. I am using R2ModMan on the gaming PC, and I have tried launching both Vanilla and Modded (with only BepInEx enabled) 

Please keep in mind I usually support mods since I can't know how all mods are working.

In your case I would really recommend to start over fresh and removing the container, removing the valheim folder which lives in your appdata directory and pull a fresh copy from the CA App without enabling any mods whatsoever.

After that make sure that you've disabled all your mods on your PC and see if you can connect.

In my case the server is just working fine and I can connect without a issue.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Why, this isn't even necessary.

I am planning on having friends connect once I get it working. I've been running everything through the domain that I access on my server externally.

I did a fresh, vanilla install as suggested and can verify I am able to connect from the client PC when launched via Steam directly. I will do further testing with the mods now that I know it's working properly vanilla. Thank you!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, VelcroBP said:

I am planning on having friends connect once I get it working. I've been running everything through the domain that I access on my server externally.

Ok I realize now why I can't proxy the game traffic through the CF tunnel like I do with HTTP/HTTPS traffic. That said, what is the best way to allow access via the domain name rather than my IP directly via CF free tier? Is it ok to add an A record pointing to my public IP, then forward those ports on my router to unRaid? Is this too exposed? 

Is it ok to add an A record pointing to my public IP, then forward those ports on my router tounRaid?

Yes.

Is this too exposed? 

No, this is how you make game servers available to the public.

If you really want to hide your IP you have to enter the CF paid tier where you are able to forward ports to, but in my oppinion that would be a bit overkill for a game server.

Hi

I have some problems with getting mods into my valheim docker, it doesnt seem to load up the mods when I place them in the bepinex/plugin folder, is there something else I need to active in some config file somewhere? Using only bepinex set at "true", tried with vh+ set to "true" instead but the server wont even start with only vh+ activated.

What I can read from the logs is that the server indeed is starting with bepinex, but not anything else inside the plugin folder.

The mods is jotunn and valheimraft, if thats to any more help, and it works flawlessly when I add them to my local game folder and startup the game.

I can connect to the server without mods, so it is up and running, just that the mods I assigned to it just don't seem to load up when they should do it.

Edited by arehnberg
10 minutes ago, arehnberg said:

I have some problems with getting mods into my valheim docker, it doesnt seem to load up the mods when I place them in the bepinex/plugin folder, is there something else I need to active in some config file somewhere? Using only bepinex set at "true"

I‘m really not that familiar with BepInEx but I know from a few people that it is working, even with mods.

Is it maybe possible that you installed client side mods to the container? Please also keep in mind that there are client/server side mods and some mods even need to be installed on the client side to.

tried with vh+ set to "true" instead but the server wont even start with only vh+ activated.

Valheim Plus is currently broken and there is nothing I can do about that because Valheim Plus needs to be updated and then it will work again, I would recommend that you report that it is currently broken for the current Valheim version on the official Valheim Plus GitHub Issue tracker.

The mods is jotunn and valheimraft, if thats to any more help, and it works flawlessly when I add them to my local game folder and startup the game.

As said above I can‘t give support for mods since I can‘t know how every mod is working.

But if they are working if you are installing it to your local game maybe they are client side only and don‘t support dedicated servers at all.

im so stuck on my ARK Survival Evolved server setup. this is the only issue i can see and would love some help.

Error! App '376030' state is 0x204 after update job.
---Prepare Server---
---Server ready---
---Start Server---
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 346110

im not sure what is wrong or where togo from here.

Edited by Gothix
6 hours ago, Gothix said:

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 346110

This means that the server is started successful.

6 hours ago, Gothix said:

Error! App '376030' state is 0x204 after update job.

However this message means that something at the update process from the dedicated server itself has failed but there is nothing I can do about that.

Do you use any AdBlocking software in your network? Are you sure that nothing is blocking the communication with Steam?

Unsure if this is where I should ask, but I might as well give it a try.

I created a custom Mordhau server for me and my mates, put it behind an NGINX redirect so it'll show up on Mordhau (and it does show up on the server list with my name and password accepted -- I think) but no matter what I do it fails to connect and logs show no attempt to do so either.

I also tried duckdns with Let's Encrypt and no luck as well. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm slightly stumped.

(for reference I would call myself an intermediate unRAID user and run tons of dockers with NGINX and stuff and never had any issues with any)

6 minutes ago, kftX said:

put it behind an NGINX redirect

Why? You are making your life harder with that...

7 minutes ago, kftX said:

I also tried duckdns with Let's Encrypt and no luck as well. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm slightly stumped.

For game servers just forward the ports (with the appropriate protocol) in your router and that's it.

Just for clarification, game servers usually don't use the http/https protocol and instead they use proprietary encrypted protocols and when you are routing them over a nginx webserver that can't work (of course you could, but you won't have much fun with that because you have to use streaming ports and so on and that is way overkill).

Oh before I forget, also don't forward the ports to other ports when you set up the NAT, so to speak don't set up the a port forwarding like this:

Internal: 7777 <-> External: 7778

You always have to use the same ports as in the template:

Internal: 7777 <-> External: 7777

...and don't forget to forward all the ports from the template (with the correct protocol).

Hope that makes sense and explains it a bit more.

27 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Why? You are making your life harder with that...

For game servers just forward the ports (with the appropriate protocol) in your router and that's it.

Just for clarification, game servers usually don't use the http/https protocol and instead they use proprietary encrypted protocols and when you are routing them over a nginx webserver that can't work (of course you could, but you won't have much fun with that because you have to use streaming ports and so on and that is way overkill).

Oh before I forget, also don't forward the ports to other ports when you set up the NAT, so to speak don't set up the a port forwarding like this:

Internal: 7777 <-> External: 7778

You always have to use the same ports as in the template:

Internal: 7777 <-> External: 7777

...and don't forget to forward all the ports from the template (with the correct protocol).

Hope that makes sense and explains it a bit more.

Now that I think about what you said, it makes perfect sense and I was just overcomplicating.

Of course Mordhau would see my server no matter what, the docker itself makes it show up, not some weird nginx redirect. *facepalm* Talk about going about things absolutely wrong.

I took down everything, followed your advice and opened ports on my router and now I get a different error and the log does show a connection. It still fails but I'm thinking Mordhau is also having issues since many servers are failing to connect.

I may be missing ports so I'll just double check-that. Thanks for the help, I'll re-post if I need anything more!

Edit: this is what appears when a connection happens, before failing with a timeout on the game's end. Does this log help?

[2023.04.15-20.01.31:206][228]LogInit: BSD IPv4/6: Socket queue. Rx: 262144 (config 131072) Tx: 262144 (config 131072)
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:206][228]LogNet: Created socket for bind address: 0.0.0.0 on port 7778
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:206][228]PacketHandlerLog: Loaded PacketHandler component: Engine.EngineHandlerComponentFactory (StatelessConnectHandlerComponent)
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:206][228]LogNet: GameNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147482553 IpNetDriver listening on port 7778
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:206][228]LogStreaming: Display: ULevelStreaming::RequestLevel(/Game/Mordhau/Maps/ThePit/ThePit) is flushing async loading
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:206][228]LogPakFile: New pak file ../../../Mordhau/Content/Paks/pakchunk34-LinuxServer.pak added to pak precacher.
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:271][228]LogWorld: Bringing World /Game/Mordhau/Maps/ThePit/FFA_ThePit.FFA_ThePit up for play (max tick rate 60) at 2023.04.15-21.01.31
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:271][228]LogOnlineIdentity: Error: OSS: FMordhauOnlineIdentity::AutoLogin failed, already logged into playfab & do not need to refresh playfab token
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:271][228]LogWorld: Bringing up level for play took: 0.000925
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:274][228]LogGameMode: Display: Match State Changed from EnteringMap to WaitingToStart
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:275][228]LogGameState: Match State Changed from EnteringMap to WaitingToStart
[2023.04.15-20.01.31:275][228]LogLoad: Took 0.081384 seconds to LoadMap(/Game/Mordhau/Maps/ThePit/FFA_ThePit)
[2023.04.15-20.01.37:276][589]LogNet: ReplicationDriverClass is null! Not using ReplicationDriver.
[2023.04.15-20.01.37:276][589]LogNetCore: DDoS detection status: detection enabled: 1 analytics enabled: 1
[2023.04.15-20.01.37:276][589]LogInit: BSD IPv4/6: Socket queue. Rx: 262144 (config 131072) Tx: 262144 (config 131072)
[2023.04.15-20.01.37:276][589]LogNet: Created socket for bind address: 0.0.0.0 on port 15000
[2023.04.15-20.01.37:276][589]PacketHandlerLog: Loaded PacketHandler component: Engine.EngineHandlerComponentFactory (StatelessConnectHandlerComponent)
[2023.04.15-20.01.37:276][589]LogNet: IpNetDriver_2147482464 IpNetDriver_2147482464 IpNetDriver listening on port 15000
[2023.04.15-20.01.37:276][589]LogMordhauGameSession: Session GameSession successfully created
[2023.04.15-20.01.37:592][609]LogPlayFabAPI: Error: RegisterGameServer: Duplicate server (1099 JavascriptException)
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:359][554]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection: Server OnlineBeaconHost_2147482465 accept
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:359][554]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection accepted from: 94.60.187.157:58520
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:376][555]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection: Server OnlineBeaconHost_2147482465 accept
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:376][555]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection accepted from: 94.60.187.157:58520
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:376][555]LogNet: Server accepting post-challenge connection from: 94.60.187.157:58520
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:376][555]PacketHandlerLog: Loaded PacketHandler component: Engine.EngineHandlerComponentFactory (StatelessConnectHandlerComponent)
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:376][555]LogNet: NotifyAcceptedConnection: Name: OnlineBeaconHost_2147482465, TimeStamp: 04/15/23 21:01:53, [UNetConnection] RemoteAddr: 94.60.187.157:58520, Name: IpConnection_2147482462, Driver: IpNetDriver_2147482464 IpNetDriver_2147482464, IsServer: YES, PC: NULL, Owner: NULL, UniqueId: INVALID
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:376][555]LogNet: AddClientConnection: Added client connection: [UNetConnection] RemoteAddr: 94.60.187.157:58520, Name: IpConnection_2147482462, Driver: IpNetDriver_2147482464 IpNetDriver_2147482464, IsServer: YES, PC: NULL, Owner: NULL, UniqueId: INVALID
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:393][556]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingChannel Control 0 server OnlineBeaconHost /Game/Mordhau/Maps/ThePit/FFA_ThePit.FFA_ThePit:PersistentLevel.OnlineBeaconHost_2147482465: Accepted
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:393][556]LogNet: Remote platform little endian=1
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:393][556]LogNet: This platform little endian=1
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:393][556]LogBeacon: Beacon Hello
[2023.04.15-20.01.53:409][557]LogBeacon: Client netspeed is 100000

Edited by kftX