[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

3 hours ago, John_M said:

Yes, I should think it is. I don't know why it's downloading the wrong recovery media but a few people have noticed the same. It worked for me for Catalina and there hasn't been an update to the container since then so I can't explain why it seems to work for some people but not others. I can only tell you that I only used the container once and that was to set up a Catalina VM. I haven't used it a second time and probably won't because I'm not entirely sure how it works, where it's getting its files from or how they are modified from stock. I already have High Sierra and Mojave VMs, which I created the manual way, using installers downloaded directly from Apple on one of my real Macs. Though they took quite a bit of effort I understood and was in control of each step and the use of the EFI partition and Clover Configurator allowed customisation after the installation. This automated method uses a separate Clover boot volume and doesn't appear to allow the kind of customisation I need to ensure that the serial number doesn't clash with any genuine ones from Apple.

EDIT: One thought struck me. Did you use it the first time to download the Mojave installer? Maybe there's a bug that causes it to remember the first installer and then download it again the next time, even if something else is selected. You could try removing the container and its appdata and installing it again.

Used Catalina both times but it's downloading Mojave still - looks like someone else is now having the same problem, weird. I wont push too hard on it for now. If the container is just grabbing the recovery.img from a URL and that can be posted I can do a manual download and replace of my .img, if not I can wait it out, no real rush here, just something fun to mess with from the server. I really only want this up as an easy way to take how-to screenshots on a fresh mac. 

1 hour ago, ClintWilkenson said:

I have two monitors, a Dell 144hz, 1440p w/ GSYNC over DP and a regular 1080p over HDMI. If I start the system with the Dell plugged in and turned on I get an offset apple logo and a tiny version of the display copied across the top of the monitor. However, it starts fine with only the 1080p monitor and will recognize the Dell once I'm booted into macOS (with GSYNC even! via the NVIDIA web driver)

The Clover bootloader is preconfigured for a 1920x1080 display.

Audio. I've passed through the NVIDIA 1080ti audio controller and the motherboard Intel C610/X99 series chipset HD audio controller but it's not working. the only thing I've done is download VooDooHDA.kext and put it in /System/Library/Extensions/ but I'm 99% sure that did nothing.

No idea, I'm afraid. I don't use Nvidia cards but I would expect the Nvidia driver to handle the audio.

Also, what would happen to me GPU-wise if I tried to update to Mojave/Catalina through the App Store? would I retain any kind of NVIDIA support?

I would expect the driver not to be compatible.

On 10/29/2019 at 2:35 PM, MortalMonkey said:

In regards usb passthrough,  I have usb controller passthrough working with my windows vms just fine.  When i added one of the controllers to the gui template for macinabox vm + edit the xml side and fire up the vm I get a black screen.  GPU passthrough, cpu count, and ram are ok. 

Any special settings you had to do for usb controller passthrough to work with the mac os vm @SpaceInvaderOne.  I followed your video on usb passthrough for my windows vms and it works slick.  I  was able to passthrough 2 usb controllers from the motherboard to 2 windows vms.  One is 4 ports USB3.0 and the other is 2 ports USB3.1.  I just connected a 4 port hub to each.  

I passthough a controller that i known is compatible with macOS. You may have to use a kext if the usb controller that you are passing through isn't native to osx. 

• Like 1

An update was just pushed to the spaceinvaderone/Macinabox repo on github.  The (foxlet fetch-macos.py) script which fetches the disk image from Apple was grabbing the wrong ID.  The new push changes the parameters passed to that, which in turn fetches the correct Catalina image.

Mine was fetching Mojave instead of Catalina.  I deleted the old VM and the Macinthebox container.  Re-installed the docker from CA, and now it is correctly pulling Catalina.

Edited by jbrubaker

Something really wrong but I can't figure out what. When I boot the mac, I can see the clover and the boot logo with the progress bar, but about halfway into the progress bar, the screen blinks and goes black. I can still connect to the mac via RealVNC and the mac even sees the GPU in system information. But there is no (except the black screen) output on the HDMI of the GPU.

in Attachment XML. I'm running Mojave with R9 280. The worst thing is that it was running without bigger problems yesterday.

help ?

macos.xml

for people who booted up fine the first time around, decided to give more cores or ram and went back to find the apple logo upper left and weird graphical anomalies try restoring the <os> section of the xml with what was originally there when you first installed.  You're welcome.

<os>

<type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>

<loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader> <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>

</os>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, DontWorryScro said:

You're welcome.

It has actually been mentioned repeatedly in this thread that if you use the template editor to change anything at all, then you need to restore the custom parts of the XML afterwards. It's mentioned in the video too.

Edited by John_M

When I use default setting(2 cpu ,4096MB ) to install macos catalina,it's fine. But I change cpu number to 4 ,8096MB .

VNC display clovery bootstrap interface and choice ’from catalina boot’,black screen. Why?

By the way,I choice catalina ,but I hava two VM ,one catalina ,one mojave. What's means?

This is my XML:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>MacinaboxCatalina</name>
  <uuid>c0ebc229-a796-44c9-b375-9ccbc67738cc</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Catalina</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="default.png" os="Catalina"/>reen
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/c0ebc229-a796-44c9-b375-9ccbc67738cc_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Clover.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/macos_disk.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='qemu-xhci' ports='15'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:d7:f3:0d'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

image.thumb.png.3dfa2f317cbf8690be0e4cdea16d61f3.png

so im getting this in the logs;

2019-10-31T08:31:03.341240Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.xsave [bit 26]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341255Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.avx [bit 28]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341263Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.0DH:EAX.xsaveopt [bit 0]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341270Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.0DH:EAX [bit 0]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341277Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.0DH:EAX [bit 1]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341284Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.0DH:EAX [bit 2]

My system is an dell r710 with dual x5670 and 72gb ram

On 2019/10/30 at AM4点34分, Holdlang said:

嗨,大家好!

知道为什么选择Catarina时会得到Mojave安装程序吗?

该脚本已下载到/ mnt / user / domains / MacinaboxCatalina并具有Catalina-install.img。 

仍然尝试安装Mojave。

I have the same problem. Have you solved it?

GPU passthrough :AMD RX460

2019-10-31 10:28:24.360+0000: Domain id=2 is tainted: high-privileges
2019-10-31 10:28:24.360+0000: Domain id=2 is tainted: custom-argv
2019-10-31 10:28:24.360+0000: Domain id=2 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2019-10-31T10:28:26.031738Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_err_notifier_handler(0000:03:00.1) Unrecoverable error detected. Please collect any data possible and then kill the guest
2019-10-31T10:28:26.031842Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_err_notifier_handler(0000:03:00.0) Unrecoverable error detected. Please collect any data possible and then kill the guest

2 hours ago, MDHMatt said:

so im getting this in the logs;

2019-10-31T08:31:03.341240Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.xsave [bit 26]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341255Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.avx [bit 28]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341263Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.0DH:EAX.xsaveopt [bit 0]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341270Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.0DH:EAX [bit 0]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341277Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.0DH:EAX [bit 1]
2019-10-31T08:31:03.341284Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.0DH:EAX [bit 2]

My system is an dell r710 with dual x5670 and 72gb ram

It means your processor doesn't support that args, so you can delete them from the vm xml (xsave, avx, xsaveopt): I don't know if that args have important impacts on your vm; anyway these are "warnings", so if your vm performs well, you can delete them, as I explained, from the xml, your vm will run the same as now and the warnings will disappear.

8 hours ago, DontWorryScro said:

for people who booted up fine the first time around, decided to give more cores or ram and went back to find the apple logo upper left and weird graphical anomalies try restoring the <os> section of the xml with what was originally there when you first installed.  You're welcome.

<os>

<loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader> <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>

</os>

This fixed my graphical issues.  Now it will boot fine using however many cores and also with my GPU.  However i can't get the pass through of the USB devices to work.  How would i go about adding the proper kext files?