[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox


1862 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE EVERYONE POSTING IN THIS THREAD IF YOU POST YOUR XML FOR THE VM HERE PLEASE REMOVE/OBSCURE THE OSK KEY AT THE BOTTOM. IT IS AGAINST THE RULES OF THE FORUM FOR OSK K

09 Dec 2020   Basic usage instructions.   Macinabox needs the following other apps to be installed. CA User Scripts (macinabox will inject a user script. This is what fixes th

Do you like this for an icon? I think its appropriate.

Posted Images

To those who are experiencing the black screen issue: I've solved the mystery for my own scenario, and it might help you out.

 

Since this docker containers sets up a VM automatically, it might cause you some issues. For instance, the VM could choose a wrong network bridge - it did in my scenario. And for some reason, changing the GUI settings for the VM broke the VM. The icon for my VM was changed and I was facing the black screen issue. But if I installed the Macinabox container without changing any settings, an error showed saying that it couldn't use the network bridge (br0 in this example) as a network adapter. That got me thinking: could I change the settings in the XML and hopefully not brake the VM? It turned out; yes. I changed the network setting for the VM in the XML file from br0 to br4 (since I use br4 in my case) - and now it's installing again!

Link to post
21 minutes ago, John_M said:

Try again later?


[Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',)': /simple/requests/

 

Perhaps though I've rebooted a few times, and this has persisted for 24hrs like this. I'm more concerned by:


"File "fetch-macos.py", line 9, in <module>
import click
ImportError: No module named click"

 

and am wondering if there is some nerdpack tool I need to install or something. I installed everything that had python in the name trying to troubleshoot to no avail.

Link to post
23 hours ago, jonathanm said:

@SpaceInvaderOne, this thread really needs to be policed better. If we don't watch it, it's going to start showing up in web searches for the magic phrase, and that would be a bad thing to bring attention.

 

I'm sure @trurl is getting rather tired of dealing with mod editing posts on a daily basis.

I have discovered some XML posted as attachments in this thread that contain the OSK also. I am currently going through this thread and similar threads to delete those attachments. And in future, I will simply delete any XML that contains OSK rather than taking the trouble to redact the OSK myself.

 

However, I would much rather not even look at these threads since their topic doesn't really interest me. If anybody sees further instances please report them because I am not planning to spend my time policing these threads.

Link to post
On 10/26/2019 at 6:51 AM, MortalMonkey said:

This is my third attempt at installing macos using the utility and I get the same error each time after the os installs.   I did not modify any settings.   This is installed on a Ryzen 7 2700x system if that makes a difference.  error.thumb.jpg.271cda68deeb1f73b6711e0818c2bd86.jpg

How did you get this fixed? I'm experiencing the same issue. The VM goes into a boot loop after installing high sierra. CPU is a Ryzen 1600x.

Link to post

After installing the container and trying to stop the array I'm now greeted with the server unable to spin down disk 1 anyone know how I can resolve this

 

`````Oct 28 18:19:20 Tower root: umount: /mnt/disk1: target is busy.
Oct 28 18:19:20 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (683): exit status: 32
Oct 28 18:19:20 Tower emhttpd: Retry unmounting disk share(s)...
Oct 28 18:19:25 Tower emhttpd: Unmounting disks...
Oct 28 18:19:25 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (684): umount /mnt/disk1
Oct 28 18:19:25 Tower root: umount: /mnt/disk1: target is busy.
Oct 28 18:19:25 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (684): exit status: 32
Oct 28 18:19:25 Tower emhttpd: Retry unmounting disk share```

Edited by Fiservedpi
Link to post
50 minutes ago, Fiservedpi said:

After installing the container and trying to stop the array I'm now greeted with the server unable to spin down disk 1 anyone know how I can resolve this

There's a file open on Disk1. That's all I can tell from that syslog snippet. Stop all containers and VMs, close terminal sessions, etc, and try again.

Link to post

I can report I now have it working fine and it was actually super easy removing the original install of Mojave and starting fresh with Catalina. I have gpu passthrough with my RX 580 and 16gb ram.  My next step is to see if I can get a usb controller with mouse and keyboard to pass-though and increase my core count.   When I increase my core count with a 2700x to 8,6,4 cores,  I get nothing on screen.  Going to attempt this shortly and see if I can get it sorted out.  

 

Link to post

Ok.  Ryzen 7 2700x 8 cpu cores pass-though works.  I had issues before and don't know why for sure.  Instead of selecting cores in the template and adding the custom xml back to the config,  I copied the core xml lines from a windows vm that uses the same cores over the the Catalina xml and I am typing this inside a 8 core 16gb ram rx580 vm of Catalina.  Next task is usb passthrough.  be back soon. 

Link to post

USB Passthrough was a failure.  Anyone know how to get that to work?  I am able to assign a usb keyboard in the template and using it just fine.  My goal is to pass through the entire controller I use when I fire up one of my windows virtual machines.   

 

Uploaded the template for the windows bare metal vm I will alternate hardware with.  

 

 

+++ OSK REMOVED +++

 

  Catalina GPU+RAM+CPUCatalina G+M+C+USBwindows vm.rtf

Link to post

Currently I am just trying to get everything configured over VNC, my goal after that is done is to use a remote connection tool like TeamViewer or something similar. Unfortunately I am running into an issue with the vanilla build where the mouse will just stop working (The pointer will follow the dot from VNC for a while... then the pointer "sticks" and that's the end, the dot still moved but the arrow sticks, clicking does not respond to what is under the arrow either). Restarting the VNC window doesn't make a difference, I have to restart the VM and then it will work again for a short time. So far, it hasn't run long enough for me to get TeamViewer installed. I've now downloaded TeamViewer on another system and hope I can browse to the network and run it before the mouse disassociates. I have tried each of the VNC settings for the mouse with no luck. 

Any pointers would be great (I am running with the vanilla XML after the mouse line was removed)

Thanks!

Link to post
On 10/26/2019 at 10:19 PM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

I dont use vnc at all for my macos just gpu and usb controller passed through. So havent really looked until just now.

I did notice the bad performance of the vnc mouse generally though.

 I noticed while playing around with the xml the mouse performance in the webui is greatly improved by doing the following.

In the xml change remove the mouse part from below (must leave the keyboard part) 


 <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=??????????????????????????????????'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

 

So to like this 


 <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=?????????????????????????APPLE OSK goes here????????????????????'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

 

I will change this in the default templates that the container uses to reflect this. But everyone who has already downloaded and installed i would suggest making this change.

VNC is useless. A mouse is displayed in the  left. But I can't move it

 

image.thumb.png.28ca2e83218a4ab9a84d77d280f8f80b.png

Link to post

hi mates,

excellent video and explanations.

The docker worked like a charm and I can launch my macinabox VM. However, even if I can see the mouse on the Cloverfoeld Splash Screen, I can't move it.

I don't think it's a macinabox issue per say. When I saw that issue opened a VNC session on another VM and noticed a similar issue (the mouse cursor is actually a large white square).

Any idea what could be that issue?

 

Thanks :)

 

Link to post
On 10/27/2019 at 10:11 PM, Eris said:

Forst of all: you're doing amazing work. I've spent days to make it work and now it's done in 2h. Amazing.

 

BUT, now I cannot get a signal from my GPU. I have R9 280 and it worked before with mac with no problems, but now I get a black screen (can connect through VNC and I don't see it in the system info)

 

Bellow is my XML

 

Figured it out. Had to disable PCIe ACS override. Now it works.

Link to post
10 hours ago, elbobo said:

Currently I am just trying to get everything configured over VNC, my goal after that is done is to use a remote connection tool like TeamViewer or something similar. Unfortunately I am running into an issue with the vanilla build where the mouse will just stop working (The pointer will follow the dot from VNC for a while... then the pointer "sticks" and that's the end, the dot still moved but the arrow sticks, clicking does not respond to what is under the arrow either). Restarting the VNC window doesn't make a difference, I have to restart the VM and then it will work again for a short time. So far, it hasn't run long enough for me to get TeamViewer installed. I've now downloaded TeamViewer on another system and hope I can browse to the network and run it before the mouse disassociates. I have tried each of the VNC settings for the mouse with no luck. 

Any pointers would be great (I am running with the vanilla XML after the mouse line was removed)

Thanks!

I've found that when this happens, click and hold, then drag the mouse cursor to where you want to be, then click again. It's a pain, but "works"

Link to post
On 10/26/2019 at 9:19 AM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

I dont use vnc at all for my macos just gpu and usb controller passed through. So havent really looked until just now.

I did notice the bad performance of the vnc mouse generally though.

 I noticed while playing around with the xml the mouse performance in the webui is greatly improved by doing the following.

In the xml change remove the mouse part from below (must leave the keyboard part) 


 <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=??????????????????????????????????'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

 

So to like this 


 <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=?????????????????????????APPLE OSK goes here????????????????????'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

 

I will change this in the default templates that the container uses to reflect this. But everyone who has already downloaded and installed i would suggest making this change.

In regards usb passthrough,  I have usb controller passthrough working with my windows vms just fine.  When i added one of the controllers to the gui template for macinabox vm + edit the xml side and fire up the vm I get a black screen.  GPU passthrough, cpu count, and ram are ok. 

 

Any special settings you had to do for usb controller passthrough to work with the mac os vm @SpaceInvaderOne.  I followed your video on usb passthrough for my windows vms and it works slick.  I  was able to passthrough 2 usb controllers from the motherboard to 2 windows vms.  One is 4 ports USB3.0 and the other is 2 ports USB3.1.  I just connected a 4 port hub to each.  

 

 

Link to post
On 10/27/2019 at 4:17 PM, Squid said:

@ZooMass, I can probably say that you're running unRaid 6.6.x  In which case machine type 3.1 doesn't exist.  You can probably edit the xml to state 

 


<type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.0'>hvm</type>

 

That was it! Yes, I am running 6.6.7 because on 6.7+ my machine experienced the SQLite data corruption bug being investigated and 6.6.7 did not. Thanks for your help!

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.