Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Here is the issue:

Apr 18 16:54:49 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '//UNRAID/mnt/user/'...
Apr 18 16:54:49 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mount ROOT command: /sbin/mount -o rw --bind '/mnt/user/' '/mnt/rootshare/user-pool.rootshare'
Apr 18 16:54:49 unRAID unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/mnt/user/' on '/mnt/rootshare/user-pool.rootshare'.
Apr 18 16:54:49 unRAID unassigned.devices: Warning: Unassigned Devices are not set to be shared with SMB.

Doesn't this show in the device Tool Tip?

image.png

Share not available.  Doesn't show 'Share: Yes".

And this when you go the device settings?

Screenshot 2023-04-18 165149.png

I don't know what else I can do to tell a user to go to the UD Settings and set "Enable SMB Security" to something other that "No'.  No means don't share any UD devices using SMB.

Why has this changed you might ask?  Because of security reasons, SMB is not enabled by default anymore.  It used to be that "No" meant share all UD devices Public.  That's a really bad idea to default to Public sharing.

4 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Here is the issue:

Apr 18 16:54:49 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '//UNRAID/mnt/user/'...
Apr 18 16:54:49 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mount ROOT command: /sbin/mount -o rw --bind '/mnt/user/' '/mnt/rootshare/user-pool.rootshare'
Apr 18 16:54:49 unRAID unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/mnt/user/' on '/mnt/rootshare/user-pool.rootshare'.
Apr 18 16:54:49 unRAID unassigned.devices: Warning: Unassigned Devices are not set to be shared with SMB.

Doesn't this show in the device Tool Tip?

image.png

Share not available.  Doesn't show 'Share: Yes".

And this when you go the device settings?

Screenshot 2023-04-18 165149.png

I don't know what else I can do to tell a user to go to the UD Settings and set "Enable SMB Security" to something other that "No'.  No means don't share any UD devices using SMB.

Why has this changed you might ask?  Because of security reasons, SMB is not enabled by default anymore.  It used to be that "No" meant share all UD devices Public.  That's a really bad idea to default to Public sharing.

A small point of semantics, but I would remove the word ‘Enable’ from the setting description as to me that combined with the ‘No’ setting implies no security is applied which is not the case.

21 minutes ago, itimpi said:

A small point of semantics, but I would remove the word ‘Enable’ from the setting description as to me that combined with the ‘No’ setting implies no security is applied which is not the case.

Good idea.  Maybe this works better:

Screenshot 2023-04-18 172440.png

• Like 1
4 hours ago, etegration said:

is such frequent update to a plugin a good thing or a bad thing? everytime i log in to my unraids, theres an update to this.

You are overreacting a bit here.  In the last few weeks there have been more than normal updates because of issues users are having that needed to be addressed, but it is definitely not a daily occurance.  UD is not the only plugin that does the update notification.  The reason UD comes up more often, is that it is active whenever you are on the 'Main' page.  When you log in, you are taken to the 'Main' page, hence UD reacts and issues an update notification.  Other plugins you have to use the plugin feature.  For example the FIle Browser plugin.  You have to browse files before it would initiate an update notification.

You have several options to deal with the notifications:

• Update UD.  The best solution and it only requires a single mouse click.  This is much less a waste of everyone's time vs. complaining here about notifications.
  • Dismiss the notification banner.  I believe it will be dismissed for a day.
  • Uninstall UD.  Don't use it if the notifications bother you that much.
  • Submit a feature request to Unraid to deal withe notifications differently.  The notification system is part of Unraid.

UD updates are issued most of the time to address user issues and holding back updates because a few don't like the notifications doesn't make sense for a user with a problem.  If I had a problem, I'd want it fixed as quickly as possible and would want a notification there is an update to potentially fix my issue so I didn't have to go looking for the latest release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, itimpi said:

Have you checked under Settings->Unassigned Devices that the SMB Security is not set to No (the default nowadays) as that will stop all UD managed devices being visible via SMB regardless of the settings on a particular device.

That was it.  Thanks a ton.

1 hour ago, Wiseone001 said:

can anyone help?

Have a storage array that every drive shows up as the same name. is there a way to change the name before i create a pool of devices?

Don't think so.  It looks like you are using a drive bay that is assigning the same serial number to every disk.  UD can't handle that.  Each drive needs to have a unique serial number.

6 hours ago, Wiseone001 said:

Have a storage array that every drive shows up as the same name. is there a way to change the name before i create a pool of devices?

Only if the names can be changed in the RAID controller, Unraid requires a unique identification for all devices.

On 1/21/2016 at 4:55 PM, dlandon said:

Encrypted Dsks

[...]
  • A disk encrypted with a different password than the array can be mounted with a disk password set in the UD settings.  A different password can be set for each disk.

@dlandon If I set the password for my LUKS encrypted device in the unassigned devices settings page, will the password itself be stored unencrypted on the flash drive (where the other unassigned devices config resides) or is it stored on the encrypted main Unraid array? How does this mechanism function?

In short: Is it safe to set the password through the unassigned devices settings page?

I could not find an answer in this thread already, nor documentation.

Edited by greenflash24
13 minutes ago, greenflash24 said:

@dlandon If I set the password for my LUKS encrypted device in the unassigned devices settings page, will the password itself be stored unencrypted on the flash drive (where the other unassigned devices config resides) or is it stored on the encrypted main Unraid array? How does this mechanism function?

In short: Is it safe to set the password through the unassigned devices settings page?

I could not find an answer in this thread already, nor documentation.

The password is encrypted and stored on the flash device.

EDIT: Also, don't share your flash public.

3 minutes ago, greenflash24 said:

Thanks for your reply!

Now I wonder, how it is encrypted... 🤔

With the password of the Unraid root account? Or with the main array password? Hopefully not with some sort of a universal master password...

It's based on a random seed the first time you set up a password and used from then on to encrypt and decrypt passwords.

• Like 1