Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 minute ago, hawihoney said:

Ah, good to know. Before I copy/move I should close the GUI or leave the main tab. Didn't know that. Will remember that in the future.

You can leave the 'Main' tab and the refresh of the UD devices will stop.  For example, go to the 'Dashboard'.  This also applies to any Browser that has the 'Main' tab open.  Having multiple sessions of Unraid GUI open on the 'Main' tab on a single computer or multiple computers will cause refreshes.

5 hours ago, dlandon said:

It's a bug that will be fixed in the next release of UD.  To get around this:

• Turn the 'Auto Mount' switch on.
  • Detach the disk.
  • Attach the disk.

The disk will be mounted and you can access the data.  Click the 'Unmount' button on the second partition to unmount the disk.

Thanks l’ll try that l

3 hours ago, hawihoney said:

Ah, good to know. Before I copy/move I should close the GUI or leave the main tab. Didn't know that. Will remember that in the future.

Why don't you leave the remote shares unmounted and then mount them and use the device script with rsync to do your copies and then unmount the device when you're done?

51 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Why don't you leave the remote shares unmounted and then mount them and use the device script with rsync to do your copies and then unmount the device when you're done?

Oh, you didn't know that? Look at my Avatar. This is one server with three Unraid arrays. It's running 365/7/24.

The Direct Attached Storage Boxes are Unraid VMs each using its own HBA. Network connected to the barebone server via SMB.

Edited by hawihoney
8 minutes ago, Bushibot said:

This didn't work for me.

I see in the log 

'/dev/sdk2' '/mnt/disks/Photodump'
Sep 11 09:20:51 nas-mass unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sdk2' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/Photodump: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'.        dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call. '

I'm I really jsut SOl with exfat? I guess I can back and re hook it up to a PC and then share it via SMB... but yeash.

Install Unassigned Devices Plus from Apps and you can mount exfat file systems.

• Like 1

feature request i wouldnt mind seeing  is under  the settings for each drive..   a toggle switch to enable and disable the scripts..

as right now  if i wanna just mount the drive without running the script  i gotta select all cut it  and save.. mount it  and then re paste the script back in

be nice a toggle switch  like with the auto mount,. share, etc    a toggle  Enable  Script    so you can turn it off and it wont run if its not enabled... i though the enable in background would do that but it doesnt

but ya that be a nice request feature

A bug or feature request?

I want to mount a NFS Share in Read Only mode, BUT i want to achieve this from the Dst Server and not from the Src. Unraid Server.

My problem, 2 unraid servers and one will be a NFS Server and one the client.

When i configure the server with the Rule "serverIP(sec=sys,rw)" i can connect fine with unassigned devices from the Src unraid server and i will use "Read Only" Mode.

Problem, when i use the rule "serverIP(sec=sys,r)" (without W) then i cant mount the share from the Src. unraid server. It doesnt matter if i use the "Read Only" Button or not.

9 hours ago, comet424 said:

feature request i wouldnt mind seeing  is under  the settings for each drive..   a toggle switch to enable and disable the scripts..

as right now  if i wanna just mount the drive without running the script  i gotta select all cut it  and save.. mount it  and then re paste the script back in

be nice a toggle switch  like with the auto mount,. share, etc    a toggle  Enable  Script    so you can turn it off and it wont run if its not enabled... i though the enable in background would do that but it doesnt

but ya that be a nice request feature

What is your use case?  The script 'ADD' action lets the script know if the it was executed by auto mount or the user clicked the 'Mount' Button.  With that and the Auto Mount switch, it appears to give the control you need.

2 hours ago, unr41dus3r said:

A bug or feature request?

I want to mount a NFS Share in Read Only mode, BUT i want to achieve this from the Dst Server and not from the Src. Unraid Server.

My problem, 2 unraid servers and one will be a NFS Server and one the client.

When i configure the server with the Rule "serverIP(sec=sys,rw)" i can connect fine with unassigned devices from the Src unraid server and i will use "Read Only" Mode.

Problem, when i use the rule "serverIP(sec=sys,r)" (without W) then i cant mount the share from the Src. unraid server. It doesnt matter if i use the "Read Only" Button or not.

The Read Only switch applies to the local mount point - '/mnt/remotes/share'.  The remote server can have rw access with rules, but local access to the mount point will be read only.

45 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The Read Only switch applies to the local mount point - '/mnt/remotes/share'.  The remote server can have rw access with rules, but local access to the mount point will be read only.

Yeah but the problem is i cant mount a share which is only set to Read Only on the Server Side, i can only mount a share which is set to RW (read write mode) on the server

I want to limit the rights on the server in the first place and the limit on the client how i mount the share would be in 2nd place.

6 minutes ago, unr41dus3r said:

Yeah but the problem is i cant mount a share which is only set to Read Only on the Server Side, i can only mount a share which is set to RW (read write mode) on the server

If guess I don't understand how you are wanting to mount things.  Can you explain in a little more detail what you want to mount RO and where?  And on what server?

Also, the NFS rules apply to the NFS access from one computer to another.  The UD Read Only applies to the local mount point.

6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

If guess I don't understand how you are wanting to mount things.  Can you explain in a little more detail what you want to mount RO and where?  And on what server?

Also, the NFS rules apply to the NFS access from one computer to another.  The UD Read Only applies to the local mount point.

Sure i explain it in more detail (i am not the best in explaining :D)

What i want:

I want to create an "Read Only" NFS Share on my unraid1 Server, so no client can edit my data (this would be a read only backup share).

I want to configure the rights on the unraid1 server side because if someone manages to get access to my unraid2 client, he could flip the "Read Only" switch on the client side and would have write rights on my share.

Config 1: Read Only on server configured (does not work)

NFS Server, i create the Share with only Read rights for a single client (unraid2) "clientIP(sec=sys,r)"

NFS Client, i can't mount this NFS share with my unraid2 Client, because i recieve the error that the share is unmountable.

Config 2: Read/Write (does work)

NFS Server, i create the Share with Read AND Write rights for a single client (unraid2) "clientIP(sec=sys,rw)"
NFS Client, i can mount the NFS share with my unraid2 client and could use the Read Only Button BUT this is not really helpfull,

@dlandon  for my use case  is i use it on my sisters headless server... so i orginally had issues with the script not always working so i added my script at the ADD,,, and the 2 if statesments

so what i have is once she shoves the SSD into her server... it auto mounts and auto copies files from her one directory for backup  to the SSD and then unmount...       and then i able to do it by clicking Mount button  when i remote login  in.. so i can get it to auto copy  by just clicking  Mount and then it will simulate  me shoving the hard drive in and out

i had  issues with her shoving in the ssd   and it wouldnt copy  so i made sure i added least at the  If  and the else statement...  

and i wanted it to work once i clicked the Mount button..

but i also wanted to be able to Turn Off the Script  so when i do click Mount  it wont run the script...

so  like a simple toggle switch with the other toggles

Enable Script    = True     when mount it will run script

Enable Script   = False    when mount it will not run script

as this way i can manually copy files to her ssd to gove me to backup her files   without triggering the script to run and auto unmounting   as i do the auto unmount  so when my sister pulls out the ssd  that unraid doesnt bugger up  as i have had lots of times  when you pull the mounted drive out   and then you need a reboot.. as unraid still sees it mounted and you cant fix things till you reboot

Hello,

So I have another thread relating to NFS and the version supported by Unraid. In my test, it seems Unraid doesn't support version 4.1 and 4.2:

I was suggested to check here if you would have more information. I'm not using UD to mount the NFS shares, I was debugging with good old mount command (since the NFS share are actually mounted using docker).

Do I have an issue with Unraid misconfigured (v6.12.4) where the nfsmount don't support 4.1/4.2 or is it a feature not enabled ?

2 hours ago, comet424 said:

you need a reboot.. as unraid still sees it mounted and you cant fix things till you reboot

When a UD device is removed without being unmounted first, it is a very messy situation and you are right, the only way to clean it up correctly is to reboot.

2 hours ago, comet424 said:

so  like a simple toggle switch with the other toggles

Enable Script    = True     when mount it will run script

Enable Script   = False    when mount it will not run script

I'll take a look and see what might make sense to most users.

@dlandon  ah ok  i  figured  it be the same like  

Toggle it On  to Share the UD drive  and Toggle it Off to Disable the Share

so same thing with the Script

Toggle It On To Enable Script and Toggle it Off To Disable The Script

ya its messy   i have had issues where unraid still thinks its on and with my older script it would copy the files  to the UD  even though its not plugged in and it would move it to the trash can     the way i had it done..  so now i do it with a script

but since the Add script doesnt 100% work right when you add it...  where its the if dev = whatever and then else

where you have sleep 1   i actually put it in both locations    at the If and also the then  to make sure it works  when the drive it slide in then it unmounts and also when i click Mount it runs the samne  copying and then unmount... but if i wanna disable the script i  cut and paste the entire script  deleting it so i can mount it  and then re paste it...  its just a feature i figure easilly added

if toggle is on   run sccript  else do not run the script....    if no demand   its ok i keep cutting and pasting   

7 minutes ago, comet424 said:

if toggle is on   run sccript  else do not run the script....    if no demand   its ok i keep cutting and pasting 

I would probably add an 'Enable Script?' line with 'Yes' and 'No' options just before the run device script in the background option:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 121104.png

It would default to 'Yes'.

I don't think adding another switch would be a good way to do it.

@dlandon  ya  that would be cool too like a line say

with the 3 lines  above   Device Script

so Abouve Device Script add a line

and say    "Enable Script"      Yes   and No  as options

this way you can turn it off

the reason i said Toggle switch was because they Turn On And Off   aka Yes or No    just something simple that disables  the script...  thats all i ment about the toggle switchs

41 minutes ago, comet424 said:

@dlandon  ya  that would be cool too like a line say

with the 3 lines  above   Device Script

so Abouve Device Script add a line

and say    "Enable Script"      Yes   and No  as options

this way you can turn it off

the reason i said Toggle switch was because they Turn On And Off   aka Yes or No    just something simple that disables  the script...  thats all i ment about the toggle switchs

It's clearer to have it in the script area:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 160149.png

@dlandon  ya that works   i was just giving the idea of something to enable and disable the script

that works there in the middle   or at the above the script name  so 

enable script

device script

but the 

device script 

enable script works too 

i figured if you put enable script above it  its easier to read..  to see its enabled..  and disabled

but thats my preference

enable script

device script  

and so on...

but thats only my preference 

but looks good.  and as always i really enjoy your work.. since your products really are helpful to make unraid great