Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

17 hours ago, jr37 said:

When the two mountable drives are mounted, a grayed out button will appear next to the unmountable drives that says "Reboot." Any help would be appreciated! (FYI, I have rebooted the server several times, the issue persists). 

Each UD mount point has to be unique.  You have duplicates.  The 'Reboot' indicator means that UD thinks the dulicate mount point is already mounted by that device and it wasn't unounted before it was removed.

Do the following:

• Unmount all your UD devices.
  • Change the duplicate mount points, by cicking on the mount point text.
  • Mount your devices.
20 minutes ago, je82 said:

Is this some kind of weird display bug with Unassigned Devices plugin?

No.  There are some extra files on the UD disk.  This could be recyce bin files if the Recyce Bin plugin is installed and you deleted some files with Windows.

Click on the mount point and browse the files on the UD disk and see if there are unexpected folders.

You should also update Unraid to the latest stable.

37 minutes ago, dlandon said:

No.  There are some extra files on the UD disk.  This could be recyce bin files if the Recyce Bin plugin is installed and you deleted some files with Windows.

Click on the mount point and browse the files on the UD disk and see if there are unexpected folders.

You should also update Unraid to the latest stable.

Ive checked the root of /mnt/disks/Appdata_backup both by using the direct link in the gui and via cli and there are no additional files or folders anywhere from this particular mount point, indeed very strange.

I cannot run bleeding edge i use my unraid for work and stability is key to my use case, i prefer to be behind a few versions for this reason :)

I guess ill figure it out eventually, i have a lot of additional space for now anyway, but it ponders my mind how it can be

EDIT: Found the problem, apparently the docker container is only 13gb on the disk using it, but on the copy its 30gb, not sure why this is but that is whats causing the difference, i'll figure it out. Cheers!

Edited by je82
55 minutes ago, je82 said:

EDIT: Found the problem, apparently the docker container is only 13gb on the disk using it, but on the copy its 30gb, not sure why this is but that is whats causing the difference, i'll figure it out. Cheers!

Docker image is a sparse file, but if you copy it without using an app that supports that and have that option enabled, e.g. cp --sparse=always, it will use the full size on dest.

• Upvote 1
On 12/26/2023 at 11:40 AM, dlandon said:

Exfat doesn't support extended attributes and you are probably running into a limitation of the exfat file system.

Thanks for the insight.  I did some additional testing.

Client access to a UD share on exFat over smb is flakey if "Enhanced macOS interoperability" is enabled.  I have not observed this problem with any other partition type, including FAT32, which also doesn't support extended attributes.

Manually editing the share's samba config, removing streams_xattr, and restarting samba seems to resolve the issue.

2 hours ago, aim60 said:

Manually editing the share's samba config, removing streams_xattr, and restarting samba seems to resolve the issue.

This is a bug in UD.  It should leave streams_xattr out of the vfs_objects.  I have made a fix for this that will be in the next release of UD.

• Thanks 1
On 12/24/2023 at 5:27 AM, dlandon said:

Your Windows 10 is running from a vdisk on the UD disk formatted with NTFS?

Yes this is correct. I chose NTFS out of familiarity and in case my box went to hell I could still grab files from it. Is this configuration running a VM on a UD disk formatted with NTFS not supported? Should it be on a different format?

2 minutes ago, BoogieSD said:

Is this configuration running a VM on a UD disk formatted with NTFS not supported?

Sort of.  NTFS is not the best choice for running a VM.  A native Linux disk format is a much better choice for running the VM.  Consider setting up a Pool or Cache disk for the VM and making a copy to a NTFS disk for backup.

10 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Sort of.  NTFS is not the best choice for running a VM.  A native Linux disk format is a much better choice for running the VM.  Consider setting up a Pool or Cache disk for the VM and making a copy to a NTFS disk for backup.

After i setup the disk in native Linux format is it simply as easy as copying it over and configuring my Win 10 VM path to that location under /mnt/disks or would it live here /dev/disk/by-id? Appreciate your guidance.

15 hours ago, BoogieSD said:

After i setup the disk in native Linux format is it simply as easy as copying it over and configuring my Win 10 VM path to that location under /mnt/disks or would it live here /dev/disk/by-id? Appreciate your guidance.

Set up a Pool disk and create a share on the Pool.  Generally users set up a "domains" share on a Cache or a Pool disk and put the vdisks on that share.  You would then use '/mnt/pool name/domains'.  Copy the vdisk to the Pool domains share and be sure to change the VM xml to point to the VM vdisk on the new share.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:57 PM, dlandon said:

Set up a Pool disk and create a share on the Pool.  Generally users set up a "domains" share on a Cache or a Pool disk and put the vdisks on that share.  You would then use '/mnt/pool name/domains'.  Copy the vdisk to the Pool domains share and be sure to change the VM xml to point to the VM vdisk on the new share.

Hey i just wanted to thank you for your help. I got it to work correctly (i think?) by following your suggestions. I recreated a Win 11 VM and dropped it into the domains share then just configured my scratch disk to just pass through to the VM.

1 hour ago, BoogieSD said:

Hey i just wanted to thank you for your help. I got it to work correctly (i think?) by following your suggestions. I recreated a Win 11 VM and dropped it into the domains share then just configured my scratch disk to just pass through to the VM.

That's good.  Your configuration is more in line with the recommended way of doing VM visks.

Hi guys,

I need some help - I'm using UD plugin and have mounted a folder from my Synology NAS - everything is working fine - but when I reboot Unraid - I have to mount it again and add the user/pass again - is there a way to fix this issue please

Automount is on but on reboot the mount button is greyed out

Edited by Unraidmule
5 hours ago, Unraidmule said:

Hi guys,

I need some help - I'm using UD plugin and have mounted a folder from my Synology NAS - everything is working fine - but when I reboot Unraid - I have to mount it again and add the user/pass again - is there a way to fix this issue please

Automount is on but on reboot the mount button is greyed out

Post diagnostics.

I am using the trial version of UnRaid 6.12.4 (I also have a registered version of UnRaid Pro 6.12.6).

I am using the trail with intention of consolidating my Ubuntu shares and Windows 10 storage spaces shares into one Unraid server.

I am having an issue with unassigned devices plugin. I am trying to allow share to a NTFS drive I pulled from my Windows 10 computer. I have done this quite a few times on my registered UnRaid with Windows NTFS drives and it always works.

But when enable the share it still displays as not shared. I've done this a few times. I even mounted and dismounted the disk a few times. I also tried to share the disk and then the partition. But it still displays as not shared (both disk and partition).

Again, I've never had an issue like this before. Not sure why it is happening on the trial version of UnRaid. Maybe it's a limitation of the the trail? But I have installed other plugins that are working fine.

Cheers and many thanks....

UD-Share02.jpg

UD-Part02.jpg

UD-Share01.jpg

UD-Part01.jpg

32 minutes ago, Vetteman said:

Cheers and many thanks....

Read the note on your first screen shot just under the switches.  You haven't enabled either SMB or NFS sharing in the Unassigned Devices->Settings.  The new default is that all sharing is turned off for security.  Go to Unassigned Devices->Settings and turn on sharing.

On 12/30/2023 at 12:41 PM, dlandon said:

It doesn't look like the array started.  Do you hve the array set to start on boot up?

The array is not set to auto start on boot - due to motherboard needs dummy HDMI to auto start server - which I still need to get.

but UD should still mount before array is started as its a different location? and there is dockers dependant on UD location so this needs to start before array goes online.