Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

28 minutes ago, MPR Files said:

Solved my problem by making this change

## VALIDDIRS=("/DCIM/[0-9][0-9][0-9]___[0-9][0-9]" "/DCIM/[0-9][0-9][0-9]CANON" "/DCIM/[0-9][0-9][0-9]_FUJI")

VALIDDIRS=("/DCIM/")

It's probably not as smart as it was before, but at least the files are copying over. I'll work backwards now and put the date suffix back in

The script was designed to move files out of camera folders such as /DCIM/100CANON/, /DCIM/101CANON, /DCIM/102CANON, etc. If you don't need that you can remove the loop and simplify things. But hopefully it will get you started.

One last question, I would like the command to copy the DCIM folder and all contents, including subfolders.

At the moment, it's copying the contents but not the subfolders.

Ideally, a command to just copy the contents of the device without specifying the first folder would be perfect.

I've been experimenting with adding a * to act as a wildcard, but not success yet

Edited by MPR Files

New Unassigned drives user here.  

The ability to spindown / standby a drive seems to have gone away or at least is eludes me.  

I even have go script commands to standby two specific drives with immediate commands and timers to spin them back down.  However the drives are still spun up after booting, do not spin down based on the timer, and I can't find a button to click on like there used to be on the main page.  The only way I've been able spin them down is by manually entering the same hdparm command used in the go script from a command prompt.

Am I missing the button somewhere?

Thanks.

Apologies if this is covered but this thread is too long to review.

When you use preclear, once complete you are left with two confusingly contradictory options: "Preclear Finished Successfully!" and "Stop preclear".

Should the "Stop preclear" Red X still be available when  preclear is no longer running? Or is the nature of what "Stop preclear" means different after it completes and the wording is just confusing in that context.?

4 hours ago, TODDLT said:

New Unassigned drives user here.  

The ability to spindown / standby a drive seems to have gone away or at least is eludes me.  

I even have go script commands to standby two specific drives with immediate commands and timers to spin them back down.  However the drives are still spun up after booting, do not spin down based on the timer, and I can't find a button to click on like there used to be on the main page.  The only way I've been able spin them down is by manually entering the same hdparm command used in the go script from a command prompt.

Am I missing the button somewhere?

Thanks.

Anything executed in the "go" file is run before the array is started.  Mounting the drives is going to wind up spinning up the drives.  While I can't comment on why the drives won't spin down when mounted with UD, what you're going to want to do is either:

• Set up a script with UD that runs after the mount happens and starts a background process to spin it down after your timeout happens
  • Run your script with the user.scripts plugin to do the same thing.
2 hours ago, Squid said:

Anything executed in the "go" file is run before the array is started.  Mounting the drives is going to wind up spinning up the drives.  While I can't comment on why the drives won't spin down when mounted with UD, what you're going to want to do is either:

• Set up a script with UD that runs after the mount happens and starts a background process to spin it down after your timeout happens
  • Run your script with the user.scripts plugin to do the same thing.

Thanks,

I'll try and find my way through on one of those two options tonight.

Any thoughts on why the hdparm command that is supposed to set a time limit on spinning the drive down no longer works either?   I think it was about 2 or 3 minutes.

8 hours ago, dlandon said:

If you remove the UD plugin and enable notifications, the unassigned devices will spin up.  This appears to be a bug and it has been reported to LT.

Are you saying this is native to unRAID not a UD issue?

unRAID used to have a way to spin down an uassigned drive manually with a button on the main page.  Is there any fuction with UD to do this?

(I still need to go figure out how to write the script as mentioned above, will do this weekend if i can).

6 hours ago, TODDLT said:

Are you saying this is native to unRAID not a UD issue?

unRAID used to have a way to spin down an uassigned drive manually with a button on the main page.  Is there any fuction with UD to do this?

(I still need to go figure out how to write the script as mentioned above, will do this weekend if i can).

I reported the issue here:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/57500-634-unassigned-disks-spin-up-with-system-notifications-enabled/#comment-563291

I've been using the UD plugin so long I don't remember about a spin down on unassigned disks.  The UD plugin does not have manual drive spin up or down ability.  No plans to add it at this time.

On 21/07/2017 at 11:29 AM, NAS said:

Apologies if this is covered but this thread is too long to review.

When you use preclear, once complete you are left with two confusingly contradictory options: "Preclear Finished Successfully!" and "Stop preclear".

Should the "Stop preclear" Red X still be available when  preclear is no longer running? Or is the nature of what "Stop preclear" means different after it completes and the wording is just confusing in that context.?

Polite bump

2 hours ago, NAS said:

That is certainly not the case here. I have never seen anything other than "Stop".

For example this is what I see this now:

Qc8hffR.jpg

You have to push the X to remove the preclear once it's finished. Why it's like this, you should ask @gfjardim. Probably better to post it in the preclear thread. 

4 hours ago, NAS said:

That is certainly not the case here. I have never seen anything other than "Stop".

For example this is what I see this now:

Qc8hffR.jpg

That is a tool tip and it is probably wrong.  The actual function once the preclear is done is to delete the preclear script.  You have to delete the script to enable the format of the disk.

Yes, it is best to post this issue on the preclear thread.

51 minutes ago, NAS said:

Anyone know what the back story to this is?

Yes, several (many) people have mounted and XFS formatted a new disk using UD, copied it full of data, and expected to be able to use it in an array using the new config function. Unraid doesn't recognize the partition location and shows the drive as unmountable, offering to format it.

12 minutes ago, NAS said:

Add me to the list of people. I am very surprised about this limitation and would like to be pointed at more info.

Are we treating this as a bug to fix (because IMHO it is a serious one)

I don't consider it a bug.  UD was never intended to format disks for inclusion in the array.  I'm really unclear why anyone would want to do this.  Just put the disk in the array and copy the data to it.

• Upvote 1

The bug is that there are scenarios where disks with data could end up being erased. These might be rare but data safety trumps everything.

I have not looked into it more since I had a backup to use to recover  but I have here (still I think) a disk that was full of data and has ended up unmountable by unRAID and UD. It was (created using UD, mounted using UD, rsync using unRAID, umount using UD and then added to array but not mounted as the format warning stopped me.

Also as far as I know unRAID cannot format a disk outside of the array? and if you add it to the array you can no longer remove it without a parity outage.

The warning is a good step and I appreciate it as it will no doubt save others.

Perhaps someone can explain or point me at more detail as to what is so special about unRAIDs' XFS format options that we cant replicate it? I would rather expend time on a direct fix than a work around or recap of where we were :)

49 minutes ago, NAS said:

Also as far as I know unRAID cannot format a disk outside of the array? and if you add it to the array you can no longer remove it without a parity outage.

Cache disk slot is usable for this.

50 minutes ago, NAS said:

Perhaps someone can explain or point me at more detail as to what is so special about unRAIDs' XFS format options that we cant replicate it?

It's not the format, it's the location of the partition.

it's very easy to partition a GPT disk (any disk >2TB) outside the array, you can use:

sgdisk -o -a 64 -n 1:64:0 /dev/sdX

This is the same command unRAID uses and the user can then use the UD plugin to format the disk and it can be used as an array disk later.

More discussion a couple pages back.

• trurl pinned this topic