Uncast Episode 5: All about Unraid 6.10 and 10gbps

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

On episode 5 of the Uncast pod, join @jonp for a sneak peek at some of the security changes being made in Unraid 6.10.

Also, there is a deep-dive discussion about 10gbps performance over SMB on Unraid.

Need a refresher on Unraid security best practices? Be sure to check out the security best practices blog.

Curious about SMB Multichannel Support? Check this out!

On 7/2/2021 at 9:18 PM, SpencerJ said:

there is a deep-dive discussion about 10gbps performance over SMB on Unraid

Enjoyed the podcast, but IMHO more important than using other things to get around the performance penalty introduced by user shares would be to try and improve that, for example I still need to use disk shares for doing internal transfers if I want good performance, and any SMB improvements won't help with that, e.g., transfer of the same folder contents (16 large files) from one pool to another done with pv, first using disk shares, then using user shares:

46.4GiB 0:00:42 [1.09GiB/s] [==============================================>] 100%

46.4GiB 0:02:45 [ 286MiB/s] [==============================================>] 100%

If the base user shares performance could be improved it would also benefit SMB and any other transfers.

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

it would also benefit SMB

Yet, in my testing I get a transfer rate of 800 MB/s when copying a 80 GB file from Windows (nvme disk) to a user share on Unraid (nvme RAID0 pool)

Just now, bonienl said:

Yet, in my testing I get a transfer rate of 800 MB/s when copying a 80 GB file from Windows (nvme disk) to a user share on Unraid (nvme RAID0 pool)

Yeah, user shares performance can vary a lot, I also had some servers/configs in the past were I could get around 600-800MB/s, but lately this is what I get in one of my main servers, there have been a lot o posts from other users with the same issue, between 300-500MB/s when using user shares, 1GB/s+ with disk shares.

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

... between 300-500MB/s when using user shares,

Yup, but this is without the SMB multi channel feature that Jon is talking about :)

Spoiler....

image.png.e22f93c396a39674a12ef0368cacbefe.png

14 hours ago, bonienl said:

but this is without the SMB multi channel feature

I don't dispute that, in fact like mentioned I've gotten similar results in the past, but it's not always possible, curiously user shares are currently still faster for me when using SMB than when doing an internal server transfer:

imagem.png.4a245b78f389c43b9bd86992bc80d39f.png

This is my other main server, better but still not great:

imagem.png.9b9fc8f82f640120bb1d81aa605c4aca.png

My point was that this has been a known issue for many years now, that affects some users particularly bad, here's just one example, and if this could be improved it would be much better than a setting that will only help SMB, also last time I checked Samba SMB multichannel was still considered experimental, though it should be mostly OK by now, but of course if it's currently not possible to fix the base user share performance than any other improvements are welcome, even if they don't help every type of transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 3:21 AM, JorgeB said:

My point was that this has been a known issue for many years now, that affects some users particularly bad, here's just one example

Thanks for pointing out my thread. This is THE ONLY thing that I am disappointed in with UNRAID since 2014. This still plagues me today, unless I use the crazy work around that I discussed in that thread. Without it, I never break 400MB/s, which is particularly sad when you have all the necessary hardware in place to hit 10Gb/s.