[PLUG-IN] NerdTools

2 hours ago, primeval_god said:

This kind of issue is why docker is the recommended way to add services to unRAID. Is there not a dockerized version of borg?

Yes there are and I could of course migrate to such a solution.  I would just need to alter my strategy a bit is all and if that is the recommendation I can certainly do that.  It sounds like a slippery slope, If that is the recommendation then why continue to have Borg in the list of packages.. or really any of the packages that depend on python3.. or any package that have any package dependancies?   

1 hour ago, flinte said:

Yes there are and I could of course migrate to such a solution.  I would just need to alter my strategy a bit is all and if that is the recommendation I can certainly do that.  It sounds like a slippery slope, If that is the recommendation then why continue to have Borg in the list of packages.. or really any of the packages that depend on python3.. or any package that have any package dependancies?   

The general recommendation for unRAID is that anything that can be done in docker should be done in docker. Plugins and packages are choice number 3 (after VMs) for things that must interact with the unRAID OS/Webgui directly. As for why non-docker options exist for dockerizable things; plugins are community maintained and not everyone in the community likes to follow recommended practices (and some have advanced usages in mind that are harder to fit into the recommended ways). That said personally the "just put it in a docker" option has served me well for many unRAID services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
On 6/27/2023 at 6:29 PM, Mamaun said:

Hi,

I've installed the plugin but now I'm stuck in the settings page with a message:

"Please wait, retrieving plugin information..." 

How can I solve this?

Thanks.

Hi,

Please update nerdtools to the last version and if problem persist then press on Force Updates button.

Best regards.

• Like 1
On 7/15/2023 at 8:48 PM, flinte said:

@EUGENI_CAT This continues to be a problem/bug.  I have isolated the root cause to be that on reboot python 3.9 regularly DOES NOT get installed correctly and anything that depends on that package, in my case borg which I depend upon for unraid appdata backups, is broken.  The result is after every reboot I have to manually intervene and remove and reinstall borg, python 3.9 and all other dependancies else all my backups will fail.

Just a thought, could nerdtools not install a package manager like apt or yum/dnf (whatever base slackware uses, im not very familiar with slackware).  My thought is just that a good package manager will handle installation success/fail better plus better dependency resolution.

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 12.36.35 PM.png

Hi,

I updated netdtools to the latest version 2023.07.18 and updated python3 with nerdtools plugin. I try to reproduce the problem and for me it works perfectly, I also reboot my system and it works fine. See if you have any plugin or docker that conflicts with nerdtools.

Reply you doubt of apt and yum, nerdtools isn't a package manager with dependency resolution, only is a tools for help to install any packages on unraid.

Answer doubts about apt and yum, nerdtools is not a package manager with dependency resolution, it is only a tool to help you install packages on unraid. What nerdtools is intended to do is to help users install X packages, but if you are that uncomfortable, don't use it. Criticizing something is easy, contributing or helping is difficult.

Best regards.

Looks like the dreaded SSL issue is back for pip, see attached.

I didn't see any answers previously in this thread other than needing to wait for an update. Is that still the case?

KFTUSyS[1].png

Edit:

Turns out the Repo was updated 11 hours ago with a new version of Python3 (3.9.17) that does not have SSL by default. The old package version 3.9.16 does. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.
This support thread in Trash guides discord helped me figure out what was going on and install an older version of Python 3 that worked.

Here's the two commands to run in the Unraid console to install the older version. If you already installed Python3 through the NerdTools pack, remove it. Do install python-pip & python-setuptools via NerdTools.

wget -O /boot/extra/python3-3.9.16-x86_64-1_nerdtools.txz https://github.com/UnRAIDES/unRAID-NerdTools/raw/d01098b77b82c1d12a8491d988da2db7f66d9f40/packages/6.11/python3-3.9.16-x86_64-1.txz

installpkg /boot/extra/python3-3.9.16-x86_64-1_nerdtools.txz --reinstall

Edited by Celsian
Fixed the problem
10 hours ago, Celsian said:

I didn't see any answers previously in this thread other than needing to wait for an update. Is that still the case?

KFTUSyS[1].png

Edit:

Turns out the Repo was updated 11 hours ago with a new version of Python3 (3.9.17) that does not have SSL by default. The old package version 3.9.16 does. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.
This support thread in Trash guides discord helped me figure out what was going on and install an older version of Python 3 that worked.

Here's the two commands to run in the Unraid console to install the older version. If you already installed Python3 through the NerdTools pack, remove it. Do install python-pip & python-setuptools via NerdTools.

wget -O /boot/extra/python3-3.9.16-x86_64-1_nerdtools.txz https://github.com/UnRAIDES/unRAID-NerdTools/raw/d01098b77b82c1d12a8491d988da2db7f66d9f40/packages/6.11/python3-3.9.16-x86_64-1.txz

Hi,

We didn't test the new python with pip, sorry, we'll revert to version 3.9.16 to fix the problem.

Let's try to create the python package again with ssl active.

Best regards.

• Like 1
On 7/19/2023 at 8:57 AM, Celsian said:

KFTUSyS[1].png

Edit:

Hi,

Version 2023.07.20 fixes this problem with a rollback of the python package. For new versions we will test the pip package first.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards.

Hi,

New version 2023.07.20 fixes python ssl issue.

To revert to python version 3.9.16 follow these steps:

- In a terminal type removepkg python3
- Now from nerdtools once you have upgraded to the latest version 2023.07.20 install again python3 already version 3.9.16.
- If you have updated nerdtools before removing python3 3.9.17 click on the Force Update button to reload the list and download the python 3.9.16 version and you can reinstall.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 7/10/2023 at 4:52 PM, ppunraid said:

Has tcpdump been moved to another plugin? it used to be in the nerdpack. Or is it now native to unraid? I get command not found when I try to run it.

Second this...I could have sworn I used TCPDump on my unRAID server before....can we get this added back?

Hello, I have the latest version of NerdTools installed on the latest stable branch of unRAID. I recently installed PowerTop and enabled it. But when I try to uninstall PowerTop but toggling it to 'off' in NerdTools and rebooting. It doesn't actually 'uninstall'. In fact, the app is still viable and works through shell. I can issue 'powertop' command and it brings up the application. Any thoughts for how to truly remove it?

4 hours ago, zachlovescoffee said:

Hello, I have the latest version of NerdTools installed on the latest stable branch of unRAID. I recently installed PowerTop and enabled it. But when I try to uninstall PowerTop but toggling it to 'off' in NerdTools and rebooting. It doesn't actually 'uninstall'. In fact, the app is still viable and works through shell. I can issue 'powertop' command and it brings up the application. Any thoughts for how to truly remove it?

Hi,

When you set the switch to off do you press the apply button? Because if you don't apply the changes it doesn't uninstall. I just tried to install and uninstall powertop and it works correctly.

Best regards.