[Plugin] Appdata.Backup

Kind of an odd one - while a backup is running I can see the files being created in my backup folder using Windows File Explorer, but when it completes they all disappear.

I can still see them using the file browser on the Unraid web interface and they're definitely still there.

What might cause this?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

Seeing the same in all of my containers except 3.  Those have no appdata configured.

Yeah im also seeing the same warning for all of my containers. Also as others have mentioned, if i try to browse to the newly created backup from my PC, the files arent visible. I can however see the created backups if i use the Unraid file browser.

All of my older backups that were done prior to the plugin update are visible from both my PC and the Unraid file browser.

5 minutes ago, Titan84 said:

Also as others have mentioned, if i try to browse to the newly created backup from my PC, the files arent visible.

This suggests a permissions issue!   If you run Tools->New Permissions against the  share in question to see if it rectifies the problem?   If it does the issue will be getting the files created with the correct permissions in the first place.

I apologize if this issue was already addressed (I searched but couldn't find any mention of this issue).

I just noticed the grouping functionality but when I double click the field where is says 'None - Double click for a list':

image.png.70dc714d488ec8ad88bd8b74475cd00d.png, nothing happens. I've tried 2 different systems (both using chrome however) and it acts the same.

How do I group containers with each other?

Thank you.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:13 PM, ConnerVT said:

Where do I find the log file for this plugin?

If you rebooted or its the first time using the plugin, the log is actualy empty. Its written to /tmp, so not written into the system to be permanently available. If you had at least one backup run, you should see the log.

21 hours ago, BigMal said:

Again, completely my fault. But, aopreciate the responsiveness and willingness to assist

No problem. And yes: the restore assistant needs more love :/

10 hours ago, Dalarielus said:

Kind of an odd one - while a backup is running I can see the files being created in my backup folder using Windows File Explorer, but when it completes they all disappear.

1 hour ago, aidoniskostas said:

I can confirm i have the same issue not visible from other pcs only from inside unraid!!!!!

1 hour ago, Titan84 said:

if i try to browse to the newly created backup from my PC, the files arent visible.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

This suggests a permissions issue!

Yes, but I believe the issue is on my side.

As requested many times, the plugin now changes the files ownership from root:root to nobody:users. I dont know why but this seems to be an issue? But I cant confirm the issues, I can read them via SMB/Windows.

9 minutes ago, FUser said:

I just noticed the grouping functionality but when I double click the field where is says 'None - Double click for a list'

Yea, if you initially have NO groups set at all, there will be no list. Some kind of misleading here. Just type something in and you will have a list for any other container now.

Can you confirm that?

1 minute ago, KluthR said:

Yea, if you initially have NO groups set at all, there will be no list. Some kind of misleading here. Just type something in and you will have a list for any other container now.

Can you confirm that?

Thank you! That makes sense. It's working.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

Seeing the same in all of my containers

And those paths are NOT listed 1:1 in any other mapping? Could you PM me (or post it here if you dont care) some paths that seem similar? I have a feeling that the not-so-strict compare method has issues. Not detected during tests on my end :/

I did notice something else (minor cosmetic issue). The background in that section when you click on a container is a light blue, but it's a fixed color (doesn't tie into any system defined color). This isn't an issue on a light themed system where the text is dark, but on a dark colored theme, the light/white text (if a group is selected for example) against that blue background is hard to read.

Thank you for all of the work you put into this invaluable app by the way.

Edited by FUser
1 minute ago, KluthR said:

I dont test on anything but the default theme. Could you please post a screenshot? I can try to make the color better for non-light-themes.

image.thumb.png.df641ad67437c8ee73bfec8bd909f7d2.png

Please let me know if you need a larger view of what I'm seeing.

1 hour ago, KluthR said:

And those paths are NOT listed 1:1 in any other mapping? Could you PM me (or post it here if you dont care) some paths that seem similar?

You and @Kilrah: I just published a stable update with a debug code inside. Would be great if you could open the browsers developer panel (F12 usually) and navigate to Console. There should be some output like "Volume dup check (affected/matrix):". Maybe that output helps me to find the issue.

4 hours ago, KluthR said:

You and @Kilrah: I just published a stable update with a debug code inside. Would be great if you could open the browsers developer panel (F12 usually) and navigate to Console. There should be some output like "Volume dup check (affected/matrix):". Maybe that output helps me to find the issue.

Hi KluthR,

Sorry, I just woke up now. Was late last night when i posted.

Yeah no problem at all, more than happy to help where i can 🙂. Ill DM you the information you need.

Hey, i got few issues with this plugin unfortunately:

1. The plugin seems to check if the destination is available before running the pre-run script, which leads to an error, because my backup drives are detach and unmounted and the pre-run script has to attach and mount them before (see 5.).
  2. My scripts can't be executed, i get a error. The are saved on my cache pool drives with ZFS as fs, thats my scripts:
    Backup_pre-run.sh:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Attach the backup disks
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned attach WD_Elements_25A3_564748334E355047-0:0	
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned attach Lexar_USB_Flash_Drive_901451523E981815-0:0
    # Mount the backup disks
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount name=Backup1
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount name=Backup2

Backup_post-run.sh:

#!/bin/bash
    # Unmount the backup disks
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned umount name=Backup1
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned umount name=Backup2
    # Detach the backup disks
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned detach name=Backup1
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned detach name=Backup2

3. The compression part seems to use only one core, is there a way to let it use more, to speed it up, to reduce down times of the container/VMs?
    grafik.thumb.png.2c2f9fd337297efed92e96c04a5057c7.png

4. My VM does not get a backup, because it does not get stopped and the plugin throws an error because the VM disks gets used of course.
    I thought this plugin does also stops and restarts VMs.
    Which is the best way to do this for schedule runs?

5. It seems that my post-run script not getting executed as well, but there is not error for it in the log:

[27.02.2024 00:37:12][ℹ️][Main] 👋 WELCOME TO APPDATA.BACKUP!! :D
    [27.02.2024 00:37:12][ℹ️][Main] Backing up from: /mnt/cache/appdata, /mnt/user/appdata
    [27.02.2024 00:37:12][ℹ️][Main] Backing up to: /mnt/disks/WD_Elements_25A3/Backup/ab_20240227_003712
    [27.02.2024 00:37:12][][Main] /mnt/cache/appdata/ServerScripts/Backup_pre-run.sh is not executable! Skipping!
    [27.02.2024 00:37:14][⚠️][Main] There are no docker containers to back up!
    [27.02.2024 00:37:14][ℹ️][Main] Backing up the flash drive.
    [27.02.2024 00:37:41][ℹ️][Main] Flash backup created!
    [27.02.2024 00:37:41][ℹ️][Main] Copying the flash backup to '/mnt/disks/Lexar/Backup' as well...
    [27.02.2024 00:37:42][ℹ️][Main] VM meta backup enabled! Backing up...
    [27.02.2024 00:37:42][ℹ️][Main] Done!
    [27.02.2024 00:37:42][ℹ️][Main] Backing up extra files...
    [27.02.2024 00:52:00][][Main] tar creation failed! Tar said: tar: /mnt/cache/domains/HomeAssistant/haos_ova-11.5.qcow2: file changed as we read it
    [27.02.2024 00:52:03][ℹ️][Main] Checking retention...
    [27.02.2024 00:52:03][ℹ️][Main] DONE! Thanks for using this plugin and have a safe day ;)
    [27.02.2024 00:52:03][ℹ️][Main] ❤️
  6. In Firefox (123.0) it is not possible to select new sources etc. over the menu, when i click on a folder/checkbox, it just reloads the site, no issue with Chrome:
    grafik.thumb.png.b004c8e681ce2832c67b7b0baffe2ffa.png

My settings:
grafik.thumb.png.4cd8b4b2495ed2e64cc8bd98277ec19a.png

Edited by Darkestnoir

Hi,

Both my servers have begun to have the permission problem. I've updated to 2024.02.26 and it hasn't fixed the problem.

These are the permissions of the files inside;

-rwxrw-rw- 1 nobody users 368548389 Feb 27 13:15 plex.tar.gz*

I know they are there, but it would be nice to see them! It's only started in  the past few days and neither are new servers so I'm not sure what's changed?

Cheers!

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Darkestnoir said:

Hey, i got few issues with this plugin unfortunately:

1. The plugin seems to check if the destination is available before running the pre-run script

Yes, thats the case. I have no clue how to fix that in a smart way. Maybe I just move the preRun BEFORE destination existence. Seems smart enough to me.

My scripts can't be executed, i get a error.

Looks like a missing +x (executable) flag to me. Make sure the scripts are really executable by set rights like "chmod a+x *script.sh*"

The compression part seems to use only one core, is there a way to let it use more

See Compression Option (Yes, Yes multicore) and its related help block

My VM does not get a backup, because it does not get stopped and the plugin throws an error because the VM disks gets used of course.
I thought this plugin does also stops and restarts VMs.

Nope. Only VM meta xml. No more logic to VMs (yet)

Which is the best way to do this for schedule runs?

I cant tell tbh.

It seems that my post-run script not getting executed as well, but there is not error for it in the log:

Have a look into the debug log file at the last few lines (/tmp/appdata.backup/ab.debug.log)

In Firefox (123.0) it is not possible to select new sources etc. over the menu, when i click on a folder/checkbox, it just reloads the site

Huh, not used for a while now, I check this.

2 hours ago, MikeyJJ said:

Both my servers have begun to have the permission problem. I've updated to 2024.02.26 and it hasn't fixed the problem.

There wasnt any fix inside because I could not reproduce the issue tbh. I did a few tests with a test share being the backup destination and I could still work with the files (and see them).

The share files were also set to nobody:users and the rw flags are there. But as I just read, there is the executable bit needed to access the folders, so I just add that as well.

33 minutes ago, NoirSoldats said:

I sent in a pull-request that fixed for me the issue with visibility of backups over SMB

Yep, thanks for that, I added a comment to that.

• Like 1