Unraid OS version 6.12.6 available

ljm42

The OpenZFS team has published a true fix (rather than just a mitigation) for the ZFS data corruption issue, so we are publishing Unraid 6.12.6 with that fix. This also includes an IPv6 bug fix. All users are encouraged to read the release notes and upgrade.

Upgrade steps for this release

1. As always, prior to upgrading, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".
  2. Update all of your plugins. This is critical for the NVIDIA and Realtek plugins in particular.
  3. If the system is currently running 6.12.0 - 6.12.4, we're going to suggest that you stop the array at this point. If it gets stuck on "Retry unmounting shares", open a web terminal and type:
    umount /var/lib/docker

The array should now stop successfully (issues related to Docker not stopping should be resolved in this release)

4. Go to Tools -> Update OS. If the update doesn't show, click "Check for Updates"
  5. Wait for the update to download and install
  6. If you have any plugins that install 3rd party drivers (NVIDIA, Realtek, etc), wait for the notification that the new version of the driver has been downloaded. 
  7. Reboot

This thread is perfect for quick questions or comments, but if you suspect there will be back and forth for your specific issue, please start a new topic. Be sure to include your diagnostics.zip.

Release Notes

• Like 8

I am having the same issue with 6.12.6 as 6.12.5. With the RTL8125 2.5GbE card going down from Jumbo frames. Will this be a permanent problem, or will this be fixed at some point? Because I have a noticeable transfer throughput slowdown when Jumbo frames are not enabled. So I would prefer to not disable Jumbo Frames.

Right now, 6.12.4 is working fine. But I had upgraded to 6.12.6 and had to roll back to 6.12.4 by taking out the flash drive and copying the files from the previous version over. So then I figured I would try 6.12.5. Since I did not see anything in the notes about the RTL8125 2.5GbE card. But that had the same issue. So I need to roll back again to 6.12.4 by copying the files from the flash drive.

Edited by aaronwt
1 hour ago, aaronwt said:

I am having the same issue with 6.12.6 as 6.12.5.

This is an issue with the in tree kernel r8169 driver, hopefully it will be fixed soon in a future kernel, in the meantime you can use the Realtek driver plugin, it installs the out of tree r8125 driver and that one still works with jumbo frames. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Ztrobe said:

did update from 6.12.5 to 6.12.6 i got error on parity, tried to roll back but same error. what is wrong i was good before update

Unlikely this has anything to do with the upgrade, please start a new thread in the general support forum since it may need some back and forth, and this thread is not the right place for that.

1 hour ago, Outlaws said:

Haha I've been procrastinating the upgrade from 6.11.5 - any notable concerns jumping from 6.11.x straight to 6.12.6?

I was in the same boat and thought I'd finally upgrade! Unfortunately my 13th gen Intel iGPU was not properly detected and modprobe i915 froze every time (same with powertop --auto-tune when it tries to change power managment for the iGPU), whole system hangs on reboots and stuff like that... downgraded to 6.11.5 again and everything works flawlessly still. Idk if that is an issue with my specific configuration but I guess I'll wait for 6.13......

Since diagnostics are requested on downgrade from you guys I guess I'll add them here.

tower-diagnostics-20231202-1418.zip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately my 13th gen Intel iGPU was not properly detected and modprobe i915...

I jumped from 6.9.2 to 6.10.3 to 6.11.5 and then 6.12.4 with maybe a few days between, just enough time between to make sure it all worked, with no issue.

Some place I read that the 13th gen with IGPU requires Linux 6.xx and it looks like going to unRAID 6.12.xxx includes that jump from Linux 5.x.x..

It worked for me... for my new media build with an i5-13500.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Thomas K said:

Did an upgrade from 6.11.4 to 6.12.6 and ... worked flawless. Docker, VMs ... everything fine.

Appreciate the reassurance Thomas, from another Thomas :) My upgrade went smooth, no issues.

Sorry to hear you ran in to that issue Mellow - my AMD 5600G didn't run in to the same, don't believe I have that chipset anywhere. I hope you get it fixed soon!

6 hours ago, MellowB said:

I was in the same boat and thought I'd finally upgrade! Unfortunately my 13th gen Intel iGPU was not properly detected and modprobe i915 froze every time (same with powertop --auto-tune when it tries to change power managment for the iGPU), whole system hangs on reboots and stuff like that... downgraded to 6.11.5 again and everything works flawlessly still. Idk if that is an issue with my specific configuration but I guess I'll wait for 6.13......

Since diagnostics are requested on downgrade from you guys I guess I'll add them here.

tower-diagnostics-20231202-1418.zip 153.74 kB · 0 downloads

A lot has changed with this between many releases.  I'd remove any plugins and code relating to the iGPU and start from scratch.

Maybe someone will have a better answer.

15 hours ago, aaronwt said:

I am having the same issue with 6.12.6 as 6.12.5. With the RTL8125 2.5GbE card going down from Jumbo frames. Will this be a permanent problem, or will this be fixed at some point? Because I have a noticeable transfer throughput slowdown when Jumbo frames are not enabled. So I would prefer to not disable Jumbo Frames.

Right now, 6.12.4 is working fine. But I had upgraded to 6.12.6 and had to roll back to 6.12.4 by taking out the flash drive and copying the files from the previous version over. So then I figured I would try 6.12.5. Since I did not see anything in the notes about the RTL8125 2.5GbE card. But that had the same issue. So I need to roll back again to 6.12.4 by copying the files from the flash drive.

This is in the release notes for 6.12.6:

Known issues

If you are using a Realtek 8125 2.5GbE NIC there is an issue with the 'stock' r8169 Linux driver that causes system hang if you enable jumbo frames. Either do not use jumbo frames or consider installing the Realtek vendor-supplied r8125 driver plugin. (FYI: the stock 'r8169' driver also handles the Realtek 8125 chip sets - there is no separate 'stock' r8125 driver, yes this is confusing).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jonboykayaks said:

This is in the release notes for 6.12.6:

Known issues

If you are using a Realtek 8125 2.5GbE NIC there is an issue with the 'stock' r8169 Linux driver that causes system hang if you enable jumbo frames. Either do not use jumbo frames or consider installing the Realtek vendor-supplied r8125 driver plugin. (FYI: the stock 'r8169' driver also handles the Realtek 8125 chip sets - there is no separate 'stock' r8125 driver, yes this is confusing).

Thanks. I did see it in the release notes. And I remember trying the r8125 plugin, when I setup six of my unRAIDs, with the r8125 cards. But I uninstalled the plugin after testing. I don't remember why though, since it's been around six months.

So I did reinstall that r8125 plugin driver and was able to upgrade those six unRAIDs to 6.12.6, without any issues. And have been able to continue using Jumbo frames.

Edited by aaronwt