Lime-tech front page hacked?

I just went to the front page and it appears the site has been compromised. Anyone else seeing the front page being overwritten by a hacker group?

I hope nothing else was held on that website and everything is put back to normal only this time with a bajillion times better security.

Who leaves a web server unpatched anyways?

My boss is a Jehovah's witness. Very cool guy but I don't think he's ever said "cock" or "dick" in his entire life haha. He's heard it plenty from my team though haha, but he doesn't care. Worst thing I've ever heard him say is something about a lady in the purchasing dept. "getting her panties in a bunch". Haha

This happens far too frequently -- Tom needs to get some better security.

+1. It's pretty ridiculous. There's probably a few people on this forum who could design it better, and make it more secure, and would probably do it for free. speeding_ant comes to mind. Seems like every 6 months lately either the homepage or the forum is getting hacked because of some exploit. I'd like to say it's because Tom is working hard on 5.0 final so he's been neglecting his own website but it's been in beta for over 3 years and he's been posting on the forums lately once a week if we're lucky, and almost never with status updates, so who knows what the hell he's doing. Viva la perpetual beta. Which will have been vaporware longer: Duke Nukem Forever or Unraid 5.0 Final?

The http://lime-technology.com/ website has been hacked and defaced.

Disgusting that you have to protect a site for this type of thing.

Why? That's the same thing as saying "Disgusting that you have to lock your house before going on holiday".

Why is that also not disgusting? People shouldn't have to worry about getting things stolen from them.

Very true, but the reality  is otherwise.

This happens far too frequently -- Tom needs to get some better security.

Most business web sites are not hosted by the business themselves, but on various internet web host providers.  The service provider often has many web-sites on shared servers.  It is the service provider that provides the basic security, installs the web-server software, and (hopefully) keeps it up to date with current security patches.

It only takes one exploit to hack a server, or one lapse of security on ANY of the servers that are interconnected to allow a hacker to take over an entire set of web-sites.  Unfortunately, new bugs and security hacks are discovered every week, and every new release of any software introduces new opportunities for the hackers to find another exploit.

It is impossible for any web-host to be aware of exploits that were discovered just a few days or weeks prior, as often they are not made public until a patch can be created and tested and subsequently made available by the vendor of the software involved.    On the other hand, word of the vulnerability spreads in the hacker community within minutes of discovery.  In other words,  every web-site is a potential target to be hacked at any time, and all sites on a shared server can be taken over once anything on or connected to the server runs software with a known exploit.

Joe L.

Dang, got my 3 TB hard drives this week, was going to upgrade today since the family is out, can't download.

You can get to the downloads server via this link  (Tom has stated in the past the actual download server is a separate server)

http://download.lime-technology.com/download/

The most current release is here:

http://download.lime-technology.com/download/unRAID%20Server%205.0-rc12a%20AiO.zip

Joe L.

Thanks a lot, you're a life saver.

Why? That's the same thing as saying "Disgusting that you have to lock your house before going on holiday".

In one rural community in UK, where I had a holiday home, there was a villager who always made his truck available to anyone who had need of it.

When he went away, so that people would not be deprived the use of his truck, he would simply leave the keys in the ignition lock!

The mods are trying to get ahold of Tom.  I sent a couple emails yesterday and we are trying to give Tom a call now.

I know this won't go down well with all, but I have to say it. It's bad enough with the lack of updates and time it has taken to get 5 to final (still waiting). It's bad enough that when Tom puts a release live it's instantly replaced by an "A" or "B" designation due to a rushed effort. It's bad enough that the site has been hacked before and the download links are often down. But to be hacked AGAIN, and the mods chasing the owner of said business to see if he can fix it whilst apparently being AWOL (again)... nice and professional around here still I see.

For someone in the business of making and supporting unraid, I would think it would not be a tall order to expect them to be able to invest in some decent web hosting.

Joke outfit at times here.

The mods are trying to get ahold of Tom.  I sent a couple emails yesterday and we are trying to give Tom a call now.

But to be hacked AGAIN, and the mods chasing the owner of said business to see if he can fix it whilst apparently being AWOL (again)... nice and professional around here still I see.

For someone in the business of making and supporting unraid, I would think it would not be a tall order to expect them to be able to invest in some decent web hosting.

Joke outfit at times here.

Relax, it's the weekend.  Tom is probably spending time with his family.  Tom's site isn't Amazon.com, where hours of downtime is millions of dollars.

Agree that any site can be exploited, but it does seem this gets hit more than many.  I don't know what hosting service Tom uses (perhaps one of the mods does) ... but most hosts would have an exploit fixed within a few hours.    Just checked, and it still isn't fixed ... well into the 2nd day.

As for locking houses, cars, etc. => I remember the day when most of our friends and neighbors left their homes unlocked, keys in the car, etc.  ... but those days are long gone.    Now you could probably get sued if you left your house unlocked and some neighbor entered the home and got bit by your dog !!

Come on, give a guy a break.  I'm aware of this and working on the fix.  Hack is because I'm using an older version of Joomla and they are using an known exploit, though you have to admit this is one of more "interesting" hacks - at least these guys have a sense of humor.