unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta6-x86_64 Available

Careful with that suggestion.  Doing what you ask means unraid is responsible for knowing you want to move data from the array into the cache.  I'm not saying that is impossible, but some things are better left to the user to do manually.

Personal Opinion: unraid just shouldn't let you change a share to be cache only. It should block that option once the share is created.  Instead you would have to make a new cache-only share, move the data, then delete the old array share.

And that could be documented in the webgui "help" when it won't let you change from an array share to a cache-only share.

That would be fine also.  I just think there should be some mechanism to prevent me from getting myself into the situation in the first place.  Perhaps a warning that it will move data off the array to the cache if you want to change it after creation, or as you suggest, a note telling you why you cannot do it.  Either would have prevented this in my case.

With all that said, mover is still not working on my system.  I'm getting the same warnings that there is not enough space to move files, which is simply incorrect.  What can I provide to help resolve this issue, other than the attached, updated, syslog?

syslog.zip

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all that said, mover is still not working on my system.  I'm getting the same warnings that there is not enough space to move files, which is simply incorrect.  What can I provide to help resolve this issue, other than the attached, updated, syslog?

So are you saying there are files in a folder that should be moved that are not? If you specify a share to be cache only, as you did with your downloads, it will leave the files on the cache drive. Messages in the syslog about those files aren't relevant, as the function is proper, it didn't move them.

There are two different issues at play here, and it is unclear to me which one you are addressing. Are there files in a share set to use the cache in the traditional sense that are not being moved? Or are you complaining about the syslog enumerating the files in a cache only share?

I would suggest that screenshots of the main page (so we can see current overall disk status) and the settings for the shares that seem to be having problems.

I am wondering if it is related to the problem just solved in that there are files/folders already present on an unexpected drive that are causing issues.

mmm i suggest JONP comes up soon with his guides LOL

how do we even change to btrfs if we have a reiserfs cache drive ?

does convert work ?

is btrfs standard FS when we use a new cache drive?

or can we choose?

didn't see anything about it in the GUI yet only the fat warning in the logs :P

Jun 18 19:04:03 P8H67 logger: Starting docker.io
Jun 18 19:04:03 P8H67 logger: ERROR: Docker install path (/mnt/cache/docker) must be off a btrfs device (Errors)

Yes, the problem is with files that should be moved (NOT in the download directory), that are still not being moved.  You can see the long list of errors at the end of the most recent syslog file I attached a few posts back.

Also attached are the screenshots of the main page, and also of the cache/video directory, showing when the 3 directories were last modified.  All files in these 3 directories should be moved by mover, as they are not in cache only shares.

main_page.jpg.4f9fdb3bbf3d526020ea0df7ba7a4d1c.jpg

cache.jpg.1ecfdb8602dac86daf9db7ea64d2d6b6.jpg

Yes, the problem is with files that should be moved (NOT in the download directory), that are still not being moved.  You can see the long list of errors at the end of the most recent syslog file I attached a few posts back.

Also attached are the screenshots of the main page, and also of the cache/video directory, showing when the 3 directories were last modified.  All files in these 3 directories should be moved by mover, as they are not in cache only shares.

My guess is a split level setting and/or min free space setting.

All,

Guides will getting posted throughout the day today that I've compiled for this release.  The original post of this thread will be updated as these guides are posted.

One quick response to a question regarding Docker and Btrfs.  Btrfs is required for Docker support in this beta.  Without Copy on Write capability, Docker performance becomes extremely sluggish and write operations extremely IO and time intensive.  There was a mode that supported it's use without the Btrfs file system, but in testing, even on SSD, it was unacceptable.  This said, there are other ways to work around this that I'm sure will become apparent in the not too distant future.

In addition, the guides will also show you how to command line mount a drive and format with btrfs.  Once the guides are posted, this will make  a lot of sense.

Lastly, KVM is in this release along with libvirt 1.2.0.  It's available when booting into Non-Xen mode, and if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.  If your hardware doesn't support it, you just won't be able to use that feature.

DOCKER DOES NOT HAVE ANY HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS LIKE VT-X or VT-D WHATSOEVER!

KVM and Docker DO require command line access in this release, but we've made it SUPER easy to get up and going with some common applications with a SINGLE command line.

More info soon!!

My guess is a split level setting and/or min free space setting.

No, but your thoughts made me check the share settings, and I discovered that somehow, the video share had gotten changed to be cache only.  I have no idea how, or when this happened, as I've had this drive setup for years.

Anyway, it turns out to be (stupid) user error, so sorry for clogging the release thread with my non-bug issue :(

Mover is running now, and working fine again.  I will retreat to my cave, and try to wash the shame off me as best I can.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not very familiar with Linux, but I've been planning to go the Xen route with Arch to get me up and running with a full-featured and functioning download & media management server, plex media server, etc. It sounds like Docker is going to be the perfect solution for someone like me that isn't too skilled in Linux and struggles to find the time to really learn it, but still wants many of the goodies you can get from Linux apps. Am I am understanding correctly that Docker provides that for us... the apps of a Linux VM without needing a VM?

so from the previous discussion it appears there is no way to convert from reiserfs to btrfs without losing data. so I guess we need to move the data from the cache drive for the apps to a array drive and after we formatted move it back.

I have just done that and it appears painless enough.  Once I stopped the array I was able to change the format to be btrfs and restart the array.  Once the array restarted the cache drive showed as unformatted, so I selected the option to format it which only took a few seconds.

One thing you do need to do is check any cache-only shares as in my case I seemed to lose those settings.

Having done that I moved my cache drive files back and everything seems to be operating as normal.

I don't know if this is related to beta6 or is just a general problem.

I've disabled Plex which was the only plugin using the cache drive and set to NO the shares that were using it.

I'm moving the App directory which only contains Plex data off my cache drive to a share to change the format to btrfs using mc.

It started off at about 10MB/s and in the last 2 hours has dropped to 1.15 MB/s and still has 10% left to do.. The App directory is 10GB in size.

If it maintains it's current rate it will have taken 21/2 hrs to move 10GB from an SSD to the share. I would have thought it should run quicker than that.

Kevin

I've disabled Plex which was the only plugin using the cache drive and set to NO the shares that were using it.

I'm moving the App directory which only contains Plex data off my cache drive to a share to change the format to btrfs using mc.

It started off at about 10MB/s and in the last 2 hours has dropped to 1.15 MB/s and still has 10% left to do.. The App directory is 10GB in size.

If it maintains it's current rate it will have taken 21/2 hrs to move 10GB from an SSD to the share. I would have thought it should run quicker than that.

Kevin

I would advise you copy it directly to a disk such as /mnt/disk3/whatever instead of going through the shfs system which is generally slower then direct disk access due to the shfs layer.

Kevin

1st question, where exactly are you moving it? The difference between moving to a /mnt/user/? and a /mnt/disk? location could be huge, especially when it comes to my 2nd question, which is... How many files are in that directory? Moving 10 1GB files is WAY faster than moving 10,000 1MB files.

Haha the plex library move is a pain. There are several hundred thousand files in that folder (no joke)

Plex wiki says that the easiest way is to zip or rar first, then move that file (don't use compression and it will be faster). Otherwise it will take very long time.

I learned that when I moved my plex library from the old plugin into my new VM. It was much easier after rarring it

Lots of great questions guys and keep them up.  I'm working on a Q&A post that I'll get up later this week with answers to some of the common stuff that I'm seeing here.  For now, my main focus is getting the guides posted that I have been working on for this release.  Then I'll start with more new/original content.

Also, check this out for the Docker Quick Start Guide:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33805.0

Haha the plex library move is a pain. There are several hundred thousand files in that folder (no joke)

Plex wiki says that the easiest way is to zip or rar first, then move that file (don't use compression and it will be faster). Otherwise it will take very long time.

I learned that when I moved my plex library from the old plugin into my new VM. It was much easier after rarring it

Lets say you have your plex library specified to live under /mnt/cache/appdata/plex or /mnt/user/appdata/plex or /mnt/disk1/appdata/plex.  Doesn't matter.  Same for where your media content is located (doesn't matter).  You can do this to install and run Plex to a Docker container WITHOUT doing ANYTHING to your existing library data:

docker run -d  --net="host" --name="plex" -v /mnt/path/to/appdata/plex:/config -v /mnt/path/to/mediacontent:/data -p 32400:32400 eschultz/docker-plex

After this command completes, type http://tower:32400/web and enjoy!

DONE!

so from the previous discussion it appears there is no way to convert from reiserfs to btrfs without losing data. so I guess we need to move the data from the cache drive for the apps to a array drive and after we formatted move it back.

I have just done that and it appears painless enough.  Once I stopped the array I was able to change the format to be btrfs and restart the array.  Once the array restarted the cache drive showed as unformatted, so I selected the option to format it which only took a few seconds.

One thing you do need to do is check any cache-only shares as in my case I seemed to lose those settings.

Having done that I moved my cache drive files back and everything seems to be operating as normal.

how did you change to btrfs?

i assume by simply stopping the array it will not change it ...

Is it possible to use a disk outside of the array/cache for Docker? I installed a SSD that I was planning on moving my ArchVM image to, but never got around to.

Could I format this as btrfs and use it for Docker? Am I likely to have a noticeable speed improvement using SSD over a 1TB WD black disk (my cache)?

I am thinking this could be easier than trying to move everything off my cache drive, reformat and move back (without screwing anything up).

Lets say you have your plex library specified to live under /mnt/cache/appdata/plex or /mnt/user/appdata/plex or /mnt/disk1/appdata/plex.  Doesn't matter.  Same for where your media content is located (doesn't matter).  You can do this to install and run Plex to a Docker container WITHOUT doing ANYTHING to your existing library data:

docker run -d  --net="host" --name="plex" -v /mnt/path/to/appdata/plex:/config -v /mnt/path/to/mediacontent:/data -p 32400:32400 eschultz/docker-plex

After this command completes, type http://tower:32400/web and enjoy!

DONE!

If we can't convert from reiserfs to btrfs then we need to move it first of the cache disk and then back so your example above is moot ffor anybody who uses the cache disk  ::)

how did you change to btrfs?

i assume by simply stopping the array it will not change it ...

Having stopped the array, click on the 'cache disk' entry to get to settings.  There you will see a drop-down which allows you to set/change the format.  If the array is not stopped, then the option to set the array is disabled.