unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta15-x86_64 Available

Upgrade seemed to be ok with the exception of plexwatch.... Any ideas?

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/00_regen_ssh_host_keys.sh...
No SSH host key available. Generating one...
Creating SSH2 RSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 DSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 ECDSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 ED25519 key; this may take some time ...
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of restart.
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/edge.sh...
Bleeding edge not requested
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/firstrun.sh...
Error: Unable to locate the 'Plex Media Server.log' file. Did you pass in the correct path?
*** /etc/my_init.d/firstrun.sh failed with status 1

*** Killing all processes...
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/00_regen_ssh_host_keys.sh...
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/edge.sh...
Bleeding edge not requested
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/firstrun.sh...
Error: Unable to locate the 'Plex Media Server.log' file. Did you pass in the correct path?
*** /etc/my_init.d/firstrun.sh failed with status 1

*** Killing all processes...

further investigation looks like I've lost all my config

This was happening to me, and apparently it was because the docker share was not set to only exist on my cache drive, so the mover moved all of the files from the cache to disk1

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The down arrow means it will spin the drive down. The up arrow means it will spin the drive up. The state icon (a ball icon, mouse over for legend) indicate whether it is spun up or down. The arrows are not indicators.

Ah, that was pretty confusing. Thanks for the explanation.

For those version 5 users interested in upgrading to version 6, there is an upgrade guide for you:

Upgrading to UnRAID v6

Like unRAID v6.0-beta15, it is in beta too, so suggestions and corrections are welcome.  Please post all feedback here.  At this moment, it is based on v6.0-beta14b, but will be updated to the latest as soon as possible.

Thanks very much for that - I'm itching to make the jump, but was anxious about a couple of things.  My V5 box is lean, with only 2Gb of RAM as it was built purely as a NAS drive.  I was worried V6 might not support this.

After reading up about dockers and virtual machines, it looks like I can ditch my app server and have one machine serving everything.  Exciting times.  And probably expensive :)

Very smooth updateto beta 15, new VM Manager is brilliant.

No real problems except 1 cosmetic one:

System Profiler > System Overview reports:

Memory: 29696 MB (max. installable capacity 4 GB)

Bank0/1 = 1024 MB, 800 MHz

Bank2/3 = 4096 MB, 800 MHz

Bank4/5 = 2048 MB (Double-bank Connection), 800 MHz

Bank6/7 = 2048 MB (Double-bank Connection), 800 MHz

I certainly do not have ~29GB Memory!! Also the RAM setup is incorrect; I have 4 x 2GB Ram sticks installed.

"dmidecode --type memory" command gives me:

root@Tower:~#  dmidecode --type memory
# dmidecode 2.11
SMBIOS 2.4 present.

Handle 0x0006, DMI type 5, 24 bytes
Memory Controller Information
        Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC
        Error Correcting Capabilities:
                None
        Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
        Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
        Maximum Memory Module Size: 1024 MB
        Maximum Total Memory Size: 4096 MB
        Supported Speeds:
                70 ns
                60 ns
                50 ns
        Supported Memory Types:
                Standard
                SDRAM
        Memory Module Voltage: 2.9 V
        Associated Memory Slots: 4
                0x0007
                0x0008
                0x0009
                0x000A
        Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities: None

Handle 0x0007, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
Memory Module Information
        Socket Designation: DIMM_B1
        Bank Connections: 2 3
        Current Speed: 5 ns
        Type: Unknown EDO
        Installed Size: 2048 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Enabled Size: 2048 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Error Status: OK

Handle 0x0008, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
        Socket Designation: DIMM_B2
        Bank Connections: 6 7

Handle 0x0009, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
        Socket Designation: DIMM_A1
        Bank Connections: 0 1

Handle 0x000A, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
        Socket Designation: DIMM_A2
        Bank Connections: 4 5

Handle 0x0043, DMI type 16, 15 bytes
Physical Memory Array
        Use: System Memory
        Error Correction Type: None
        Maximum Capacity: 4 GB
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Number Of Devices: 4

Handle 0x0044, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x0043
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 2048 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM_B1
        Bank Locator: Bank0/1
        Type: DDR
        Type Detail: None
        Speed: 800 MHz
        Manufacturer: None
        Serial Number: None
        Asset Tag: None
        Part Number: None

Handle 0x0045, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Locator: DIMM_B2
        Bank Locator: Bank2/3

Handle 0x0046, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Locator: DIMM_A1
        Bank Locator: Bank4/5

Handle 0x0047, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Locator: DIMM_A2
        Bank Locator: Bank6/7

Is this a known issue?

Thanks again,

The Capt

I created a new windows vm using the gui and could not get studio pass through to work. In windows there were no audio devices find and HD audio bus driver had issues (yellow triangle). I tried reinstalling drivers and changing video cards with the same result. I manually changed the xml to the old way of adding the audio device in the qemu command section.

Anyone else have this issue? I tried it with an hd5450, hd6450, and gt210. Passing through a USB sound card worked fine though.

For those version 5 users interested in upgrading to version 6, there is an upgrade guide for you:

Upgrading to UnRAID v6

Like unRAID v6.0-beta15, it is in beta too, so suggestions and corrections are welcome.  Please post all feedback here.  At this moment, it is based on v6.0-beta14b, but will be updated to the latest as soon as possible.

Thanks very much for that - I'm itching to make the jump, but was anxious about a couple of things.  My V5 box is lean, with only 2Gb of RAM as it was built purely as a NAS drive.  I was worried V6 might not support this.

After reading up about dockers and virtual machines, it looks like I can ditch my app server and have one machine serving everything.  Exciting times.  And probably expensive :)

You will probably want more RAM to fully take advantage of new features. Also, VM capabilities will depend on your CPU and BIOS.

I created a new windows vm using the gui and could not get studio pass through to work. In windows there were no audio devices find and HD audio bus driver had issues (yellow triangle). I tried reinstalling drivers and changing video cards with the same result. I manually changed the xml to the old way of adding the audio device in the qemu command section.

Anyone else have this issue? I tried it with an hd5450, hd6450, and gt210. Passing through a USB sound card worked fine though.

Please open a defect report. Are you saying the old method with qemu arguments worked for you?

You will probably want more RAM to fully take advantage of new features. Also, VM capabilities will depend on your CPU and BIOS.

Yes, I was thinking that.  It was built as a bare minimum system that uses as little power as possible, with an app server doing all the heavy stuff.  Now it looks like a single box is a possibility, albeit by probably replacing everything but the drives.  Thank you.

Please open a defect report. Are you saying the old method with qemu arguments worked for you?

yes. I will open one tonight after work. Thanks.

Upgrading to UnRAID v6

I can tell you that it will work fine.

I have 2GB of ram as well and I am running CouchPotato, SickRage, and Transmission dockers currently. Memory usage hovers around 50% according to the dashboard in unRAID.

Chaps,

I don't know what you've done, but I can write to the array at almost 90MB/sec:

bwm-ng v0.6 (probing every 0.500s), press 'h' for help
  input: disk IO type: avg (30s)
  \         iface                   Rx                   Tx                Total
  ==============================================================================
              sda:           0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s
              sdb:           0.00  B/s           86.08 MB/s           86.08 MB/s   ***PARITY - WD Red Pro 4TB***
              sdd:           0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s
              sde:           0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s
              sdc:           0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s
              sdf:           0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s
              sdg:         136.53  B/s           86.11 MB/s           86.11 MB/s **** DATA - WD Red 4TB ****
              sdh:           0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s
              sdi:           0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s            0.00  B/s
              sdj:          83.68 MB/s           64.78 KB/s           83.74 MB/s   *** SSD cache drive ***
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            total:          83.68 MB/s          172.27 MB/s          255.96 MB/s

The fact there is no read on either disk though concerns me greatly!!!

Server-IMG.qcow2  34,285,158,400 100%  95.49MB/s    0:05:42 (xfr#1, ir-chk=1064/1067)

My Win8 KVM loaded fine after upgrading. However, when I clicked the edit button to view it in the new editor, I toggled a couple CPU's and clicked save. The VM would not boot because the editor added a driver for UEFI and the VM would enter it and stay there. Manually editing the XML in the editor to remove this line corrected the issue. Editing the VM via the GUI and saving doesn't cause any issue now.

Sorry I don't have the exact line in the XML, I didn't think to copy it first.

ETA: Windows booted with the Build number on the desktop, Control Panel > System showed that it wasn't registered any longer.

So I've upgraded, and followed the first post (i.e. removed dmacias' old libvirt and vmmanager plugin.)  However, the new VMs tab is not showing any of my existing VM's.  The xml's were successfully copied across and I can see them in /etc/libvirt/qemu as per below:

KsNjzpH.jpg

Any ideas?  Have tried multiple reboots etc

o93A2uH.jpg

EDIT:

Ignore, VM's were 'off' in Settings -> VM Manager.  Not sure if that's supposed to be the default, but switching it on and rebooting fixed it.

You still don't need big hardware.  I've run v6 on a Celeron G1610T with 2GB RAM, with 4 Dockers and it handled it just fine.

Of course, I have to run everything severely overkill, so I run it on an i5 with 16GB RAM. :)

You still don't need big hardware.  I've run v6 on a Celeron G1610T with 2GB RAM, with 4 Dockers and it handled it just fine.

My non-unRaid app server is running Plex, Logitech Media Server, DVB Logic (TV pooling and streaming) and client backups, so I might get used to a basic unRaid 6, and work out the best way to migrate everything later.  There's a lot more low power chips out now than when I first built my unRaid box, plus SAS connectivity and stuff, so it's about time for a refresh.  Plus most of my system is on 1TB drives, so I could probably shrink that down to just a few 4TB drives over a couple of months.  It's probably been in action for 8 years, so it could do with a refresh.

Thanks for the advice & reassurance.

is there anyway to give a VM a IP address on the same subnet as my local?

Yes. Create a network bridge from th e network settings page and then type the name of that bridge in the alternate network bridge under the vm settings page. Note:  this will only impact VMs created going forward. To update an existing vm to use the unraid managed bridge, you will need to edit the vm and turn on advanced mode.  Type the unraid managed bridge name in the appropriate field, update the VM, then start it up.

Great Thanks

Can anyone give me an example of what needs doing to setup an alternate bridge which allows my VMs to be seen by my local network?

I can't seem to find 'Advanced Mode' referenced.

Also ... how does this hang together, can i just use any old bridge name, say 'MyBr' and declare it to xml?

first under the settings tab then network and turn on bridge mode and you should see bridge name I put in br0

then go under settings again then vmmanager you have to stop it and then fill in the Alternate Network Bridge to match mine is br0

start it again, any new VM will now have that filled in and you can see local network.

any existing machines you can edit the vm and just change the bridge to br0, mine was originally vitbr0

Can anyone give me an example of what needs doing to setup an alternate bridge which allows my VMs to be seen by my local network?

I can't seem to find 'Advanced Mode' referenced.

Also ... how does this hang together, can i just use any old bridge name, say 'MyBr' and declare it to xml?

Screens attached, advanced mode is not too obvious unless you really look, the network bridge is under settings, network settings.

Also, basically, yes.

bridge.png.1104d9f0bb4b99e91d449886b877ed8c.png

advanced.png.43e3f91a04fb28ac333b6a3e518a8ca6.png