[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

We worked with the plex guys, their docker and our docker as it stands at the moment are two different entities.

Are you allowed to state what the core differences are or will be at this point? Kinda wondering if it's even worth the hassle of starting a new install and migrating everything. (Can't imagine there being anything significant other than having the Plex guys "supporting" it in the long run.)

We worked with the plex guys, their docker and our docker as it stands at the moment are two different entities.

Are you allowed to state what the core differences are or will be at this point? Kinda wondering if it's even worth the hassle of starting a new install and migrating everything. (Can't imagine there being anything significant other than having the Plex guys "supporting" it in the long run.)

As far as I can tell it's more about how it's setup and fetches updates to public/plexpass.  Core functionality is pretty much the same.  Just to make our position clear though, we won't be supporting either migration or the Plex docker.  You choose to migrate by all means, but please don't use this thread for issues or questions, it'll just confuse the hell out of everyone.

Hello all.

I have just set up my first array today (really over the last week  :o) and am in the process of migrating my media (via smb) to the array... slow going indeed (5+ TB, 1 parity disk 12TB array).

I am completely new to the concepts of containerization and dockers...and while reading has definitely prepped me, nothing replaces experience.

As I understand it, there are two widely downloaded PMS-unRAID dockers - LimeTech & Linuxserver images.  Now Plex is supporting its own image.  For a docker newbie, I am concerned with performance and support above all...which of these routes is my safest bet?

Judging on this thread, and, git for LS...this seems like a very active and supported image. 

Other question:  would it be possible to migrate my metadata from an old PMS (installed on amahi 7)?  Server is running and intact and would love to keep my library data (watched/ratings etc...)?

Thanks all... Happy Holiday!

Hello all.

I have just set up my first array today (really over the last week  :o) and am in the process of migrating my media (via smb) to the array... slow going indeed (5+ TB, 1 parity disk 12TB array).

I am completely new to the concepts of containerization and dockers...and while reading has definitely prepped me, nothing replaces experience.

As I understand it, there are two widely downloaded PMS-unRAID dockers - LimeTech & Linuxserver images.  Now Plex is supporting its own image.  For a docker newbie, I am concerned with performance and support above all...which of these routes is my safest bet?

Judging on this thread, and, git for LS...this seems like a very active and supported image. 

Other question:  would it be possible to migrate my metadata from an old PMS (installed on amahi 7)?  Server is running and intact and would love to keep my library data (watched/ratings etc...)?

Thanks all... Happy Holiday!

You're asking in our thread, so can probably guess the answer.  At the end of the day, all three images download the same binary file to run PMS.... 

Best way to migrate imho is a fresh install and sync watched status with something like trakt.tv

What version?  Post your docker run command,  from what I can tell in the logs it is starting I think.

Looks like it didn't find the preferences.xml file which contains your plex token.  Normal resides in /appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/

I still can't get Plex to work. I've started fresh after removing the container, image and template but it hasn't fixed the problem.  :'(

Here's the docker run command:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker create --name="Plex" --net="host" -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -e "VERSION"="plexpass" -v "/mnt/user/Movies/":"/movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/TV/":"/tv":rw -v "/mnt/cache/Apps/docker/appdata/plex":"/config":rw linuxserver/plex

Notice: There is no port information or -p in the command.

Also, preferences.xml is in the directory however I have a 'linuxserver-chown.lock' file under /plex/Library but its empty. Should I delete it?

What version?  Post your docker run command,  from what I can tell in the logs it is starting I think.

Looks like it didn't find the preferences.xml file which contains your plex token.  Normal resides in /appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/

I still can't get Plex to work. I've started fresh after removing the container, image and template but it hasn't fixed the problem.  :'(

Here's the docker run command:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker create --name="Plex" --net="host" -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -e "VERSION"="plexpass" -v "/mnt/user/Movies/":"/movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/TV/":"/tv":rw -v "/mnt/cache/Apps/docker/appdata/plex":"/config":rw linuxserver/plex

Notice: There is no port information or -p in the command.

Also, preferences.xml is in the directory however I have a 'linuxserver-chown.lock' file under /plex/Library but its empty. Should I delete it?

There's no port information because it runs as host not bridge.  chown.lock file is normal. Sent you a PM

Make sure your current PMS and your new LSIO one are of the same version (upgrade the amahi PMS as needed).

Then follow this process: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201539237-Backing-Up-Plex-Media-Server-Data

There's no port information because it runs as host not bridge.  chown.lock file is normal. Sent you a PM

I finally fixed the issue. Turns out all I had to do was login to Plex Media Server with my PlexPass account via Docker WebUI instead of smashing the Chrome Plex app icon in my taskbar.

Quick question, how does one change the TZ variable in the docker command? Adding another TZ variable under the Docker UI makes the command have two TZ variables. Asking for friend...  ;D

Remove the existing one and add a new one?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'd like to change the value from America/Chicago to something closer to home.

Just edit the variable in the template to your timezone and hit apply.

Is that done through command prompt? or within the Docker UI? or just notepad?

The docker template.  Look for this bit.  Add it as a variable

55dg5YS.png

9Pz3kb7.png

Get the codes here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones

The docker template.  Look for this bit.  Add it as a variable

55dg5YS.png

9Pz3kb7.png

Get the codes here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones

Possibly a stupid question, but is this valid for all of lsio containers?  I've had an issue since day one with nzbget where it does indeed follow the rules I've laid out for the download throttling, but the time is completely out to lunch