New to unRAID: Beta or not to beta

Hi,

I'm new to unRAID and in the process of configuring it as a "Two gamers, one CPU" build. That in mind I'm seeing that the beta has some major improvements to virtual machines. Especially since I intend to use two Nvidia GTX cards...

So my question is... should I start with the beta now that I start from scratch anyway or isn't it stable enough for normal use? Will it be possible to upgrade to stable once 6.2 is released?

Yes you will be able to upgrade to stable from beta once released.

If you are worried about stability, then why not install the 6.19 stable first. See how that is for you with your 2 gaming vms.

Then if you not happy with the performance then upgrade to the beta.

However I upgraded to the beta as soon as it was available and am very happy with it. I have had some minor issues but nothing major.

I personally would go straight to the beta if i were you. But if there was any problem for me its not "mission critical stuff on my server" and i enjoy tinkering with it anyway! But really only you can choose  :)

I would put a big caveat on gridrunner's reply.

There is currently a bug with beta that causes the array to hang under heavy transfer - which, for unknown reasons, seems to be worsen with VM.

All the responses I read so far from Lime Tech suggests they still haven't pinpoint where the issue is yet.

The temp fix is to increase number of stripe which seems to work for others (not me, unfortunately, it just postpones the hang / makes it (a lot) less common, not cures it completely).

This bug was not reported in 6.1.9 as far as I know.

There's a reason beta is beta.

I'm new to unRAID, I had to go beta as I didn't research enough and only beta supports nvme drives. One downside with the learning curve and beta as I don't know what is a beta bug or just a setting issue / tweak. If you don't have a hardware reason for beta. Learn on the stable release before beta. I'm sure I have annoyed enough people with questions on the beta thread with non beta issues. However have been happy with trying dual parity and the likes.

@gridrunner: Thanks for the comment. I've been trying the stable release and it seems to work, but I'm currently waiting for my GTX 1070 to arrive so I'm not sure how well that works until it does. I've also tried a AMD R9 390, but the reset bug drives me crazy and makes it unusable. I assume I'll give the beta a try and downgrade if I encounter any issues instead of the other way around.

@testdasi: Could be hardware specific?

@Lebowski: A valid point. The only thing I'm currently concerned about is the improved NVIDIA support and the (hopefully) better handling of USB devices. Especially if you have multiple USB devices with the same name is a bit messy. It should not only display the name of the device, but also the port/path.

Yes, potentially hardware specific - or not. I don't think even LT knows at the moment. Correction: LT has said: "we are pretty confident we have discovered the bug causing deadlocks and system hangs and are in the process of testing patched code now before rolling out a new release" <-- kudos!!!!

Jumping straight into beta is neither a good nor bad idea in itself. I jumped straight into beta myself but on a test set up. On my actual server, I'm planning to use 6.1.9.

You just need to be very clear that you are using a beta, hence, be peaceful with living with the bugs.

My two cents.  All software beta or not has errors.  The core functions of unraid beta or not have generally been rock solid.  Some users have had issues with emhttp crashing with regards to vms but that has not been the general results.  It's all a matter of risk and how much you are willing to accept.

In my case, my main server is running 6.2 beta and the backup server is running 6.1.9, and if it wasn't for CA and the need to test on older versions it would be running 6.2 beta.

That being said when new major versions are released as beta I do wait a bit for the foolhardy / brave to test them out first before I install.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I would put a big caveat on gridrunner's reply.

There is currently a bug with beta that causes the array to hang under heavy transfer - which, for unknown reasons, seems to be worsen with VM.

All the responses I read so far from Lime Tech suggests they still haven't pinpoint where the issue is yet.

The temp fix is to increase number of stripe which seems to work for others (not me, unfortunately, it just postpones the hang / makes it (a lot) less common, not cures it completely).

This bug was not reported in 6.1.9 as far as I know.

There's a reason beta is beta.

They may have a fix for the bug

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48193.msg475136.msg#475136

The important thing with using Beta software with unRAID is that you have to have the time and devotion to follow the the beta thread so that you are aware of any issues that do arise.  (See previous post for example for what I am talking about relating to issues and their solutions/workarounds!  Not only is this problem being addressed but if you search the beta thread, you will find a workaround.)  You also have to upgrade very shortly after each new release because if you encounter a problem with an old beta, getting any help with your problem will be difficult as folks don't accumulate much experience with each release. 

If you don't have the time to do this, you would probably be better off starting with the stable 6.1.9 and wait for stable 6.2.0 to be released.  (Even then I would expect 6.2.1 will be out very quickly as some problem will suddenly be uncovered when more people make the jump to the new version.) 

The important thing with using Beta software with unRAID is that you have to have the time and devotion to follow the the beta thread so that you are aware of any issues that do arise.  (See previous post for example for what I am talking about relating to issues and their solutions/workarounds!  Not only is this problem being addressed but if you search the beta thread, you will find a workaround.)

Totally agree to the bolded part. I just went on holiday for a week and they found a fix! Should be on holiday more often.  ::)

Also to note is the workaround for the freezing did not work 100% with me so here hoping LT fixes will be perm 100%.

The important thing with using Beta software with unRAID is that you have to have the time and devotion to follow the the beta thread so that you are aware of any issues that do arise.  (See previous post for example for what I am talking about relating to issues and their solutions/workarounds!  Not only is this problem being addressed but if you search the beta thread, you will find a workaround.)

Totally agree to the bolded part. I just went on holiday for a week and they found a fix! Should be on holiday more often.  ::)

Also to note is the workaround for the freezing did not work 100% with me so here hoping LT fixes will be perm 100%.

I would just like to quote all this for truth!

Often we get people on the forum asking for help and they are running a very old beta version, sometimes even an old beta of v5. The response you often get when you ask why they are running an old beta is always along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The problem with that idea is that nobody that can help them is running the version they are.

Bottom line is if you can afford to lose whatever you store on your server then go for Beta, if you can't go for Stable :)

And if you cant afford to loose everything on your server you will have a full and working backup in place.. So who cares :-)

Yes, if there is anything on your server you can't afford to lose, and you don't have a backup for it, then you have more important things to worry about than which version you are running.