[Support] Djoss - HandBrake

3 hours ago, Hoopster said:

That's your problem.  Yes, the CPU has QSV, but it is NOT capable of dealing with many formats/codecs, especially 4K, as it is an Ivy Bridge generation CPU.   You really need to have a Skylake generation or later CPU before QSV can handle 4K/HEVC.

image.thumb.png.042ec8a8a84215aa3453c44d794f3c46.png

Ah, ok, thank you for clarifying. Looks like I'll have to wish for some upgrades for Christmas!

Just curious, what is your opinion on Intel vs. AMD these days for unRAID? I have a Ryzen 7 3700X in my gaming rig and I absolutely love it, and am thinking of going with either another 3700X or even a Ryzen 9 if the financial gods are kind to me. However, I don't know anything about Ryzen CPU's encoding capabilities. Does AMD have something similar to QSV that works in this docker, and performs similarly (e.g, encode time, quality, and output file size)?

I do use my server for some VM's, so the extra cores would definitely help. However, if in the long run Intel is better for everything else like Handbrake and other Dockers, I may sacrifice the extra cores for more all around stability and support.

Thanks for your help so far, and thanks in advance for any input you may be able to provide!

6 minutes ago, M1llenia said:

Does AMD have something similar to QSV that works in this docker, and performs similarly (e.g, encode time, quality, and output file size)?

AMD has a few APUs (that's what they call CPUs with integrated graphics), but, they do not work for hardware transcoding in apps like Plex, HandBrake, etc.  Technically, they could, but the vendors don't officially support them the way they do Intel QSV.

There are many people in these forums using Ryzen CPUs in their unRAID servers, but, when it comes to hardware transcoding, the only real choice is to use a dedicated Nvidia GPU. 

Many have multiple GPUs; one for use by docker containers and one or more to pass through to VMs.

Personally, I have a Coffee Lake generation CPU with QSV and it can be used by multiple docker containers simultaneously.  I have had both Plex and HandBrake doing QSV video encoding at the same time.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

AMD has a few APUs (that's what they call CPUs with integrated graphics), but, they do not work for hardware transcoding in apps like Plex, HandBrake, etc.  Technically, they could, but the vendors don't officially support them the way they do Intel QSV.

There are many people in these forums using Ryzen CPUs in their unRAID servers, but, when it comes to hardware transcoding, the only real choice is to use a dedicated Nvidia GPU. 

Many have multiple GPUs; one for use by docker containers and one or more to pass through to VMs.

Personally, I have a Coffee Lake generation CPU with QSV and it can be used by multiple docker containers simultaneously.  I have had both Plex and HandBrake doing QSV video encoding at the same time.

Thanks for the info.

I have seen several posts that said this particular handbrake docker does not support NVIDIA NVEnc. Is this true? If so, is there any way I can get Handbrake to use NVIDIA NVEnc in a docker? Perhaps a different docker image?

I'm thinking if I can get hardware transcoding working on a NVIDIA GPU in a Handbrake docker, then I will definitely go with Ryzen, as the extra cores would definitely help, and I am not actually passing my GPU's to my VM's anyway, as I just use RDP to connect to them from across a network.

Thanks once more for all your help!

• 3 weeks later...

When I was setting up the docker profile I had changed "/output" to "/OUTPUT" and then none of the files I encoded showed up. I figured out the problem and changed it back and new encodes show up, but where would the old ones have gone, so that I can go and delete those files?

On 12/19/2020 at 10:03 PM, aqua said:

When I was setting up the docker profile I had changed "/output" to "/OUTPUT" and then none of the files I encoded showed up. I figured out the problem and changed it back and new encodes show up, but where would the old ones have gone, so that I can go and delete those files?

Hey. I could be wrong. Output Directory: is where the files go. if you are using automatioc encoding with the watch folder and changed Automatic Video Converter: Output directory: to /OUTPUT then the files would not have gone anywhere. the directory you add in Output Directory:  is /output "This is the default output folder for converted videos. Also used by the automatic video converter.
Container path: /output" so inside the docker any auto encodes was looking for /output not /OUTPUT.

Edited:
Hey.

Found out strange behaviour in HB Docker. When using it on webUI. when i copy/move video file to watch folder. it will save file as MP4 file as it should, but if i open video in gui and start it there, it will make it M4V, even i try to change that on bottom text field where it has Save As "New Video.m4v", if i try to rename that m4v to mp4, it lets to change it to mp, but when i add 4, it changes it back to m4v. i havnt been able to find out a way to change that one or way to be able to save in mp4 whyli doing manual in webUI.  Using default preset 1080p30 very fast, i have tried also my own preset by tweaking and saving my own preset and set it as default, no matter what i change wont matter to end file.

for testing purposes, i have old and slow Phenom II X4 955 BE. im trying to find perfect endresult for me. i'm using multiple different files and doing different compression level and quality testing. by adding them in webGUI, i can input options, make files to compress with those settings, then change settings and compress with those and so on. this way i could add all videos with all different settings to queue, but i cannot. now i have to wait until it has encoded those with current settings, then change settings and rename those files in watch folders to trigger new encode.

Edited by Vertabine
16 minutes ago, Vertabine said:

Hey.

Found out strange behaviour in HB Docker. When using it on webUI. when i copy/move video file to watch folder. it will save file as MP4 file as it should, but if i open video in gui and start it there, it will make it M4V, even i try to change that on bottom text field where it has Save As "New Video.m4v", if i try to rename that m4v to mp4, it lets to change it to mp, but when i add 4, it changes it back to m4v. i havnt been able to find out a way to change that one or way to be able to save in mp4 whyli doing manual in webUI.

for testing purposes, i have old and slow Phenom II X4 955 BE. im trying to find perfect endresult for me. i'm using multiple different files and doing different compression level and quality testing. by adding them in webGUI, i can input options, make files to compress with those settings, then change settings and compress with those and so on. this way i could add all videos with all different settings to queue, but i cannot. now i have to wait until it has encoded those with current settings, then change settings and rename those files in watch folders to trigger new encode.

Hey pretty simple this. on the webui click on file and then prefernces and uncheck use ipod/itunes friendly .m4v  image.png.e1206a597e6a60abd7f45f1d6d0825d9.png

6 minutes ago, C_James said:

Hey pretty simple this. on the webui click on file and then prefernces and uncheck use ipod/itunes friendly .m4v  image.png.e1206a597e6a60abd7f45f1d6d0825d9.png

Oh LoL :D. Thanks. i poked that preferences couple of times but didnt even notice that one. spend couple of hours trying to find that out :D in Desktop version HB has never done that m4v conversion as in this from preferences. never late to learn something new :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for incorporating the latest Intel driver with h265 fixes for Gemini Lake, I've been waiting to test it out. I'm having a strange problem though - on my j5005 qsv_h265_10bit hardware encode works perfectly, but qsv_h265 (8 bit) hardware encode fails with the following error:

[04:52:23] qsv_hevc_make_header: MFXVideoCORE_SyncOperation failed (-17)

Any guess whether that's a problem with the driver or with handbrake?

Hello there. I had updated to the latest docker version and now I cannot connect to the web interface. It will only load this screen:
image.png.7fdb15cdf0dd0fa8175d395227fb3983.png

This is in the log file:

04/01/2021 06:23:55 client_count: 0
04/01/2021 06:23:55 Restored X server key autorepeat to: 1
04/01/2021 06:23:55 Client 127.0.0.1 gone
04/01/2021 06:23:55 Statistics events Transmit/ RawEquiv ( saved)
04/01/2021 06:23:55 TOTALS : 0 | 0/ 0 ( 0.0%)
04/01/2021 06:23:55 Statistics events Received/ RawEquiv ( saved)
04/01/2021 06:25:00 Got connection from client 127.0.0.1
04/01/2021 06:25:00 other clients:
04/01/2021 06:25:00 Got 'ws' WebSockets handshake
04/01/2021 06:25:00 - webSocketsHandshake: using base64 encoding
04/01/2021 06:25:00 - WebSockets client version hybi-13

04/01/2021 06:25:00 Disabled X server key autorepeat.
04/01/2021 06:25:00 to force back on run: 'xset r on' (3 times)
04/01/2021 06:25:00 incr accepted_client=8 for 127.0.0.1:34426 sock=10
04/01/2021 06:25:00 webSocketsDecodeHybi: got frame without mask
04/01/2021 06:25:00 rfbProcessClientProtocolVersion: read: I/O error

I restarted the docker, same. I removed the docker, deleted the image and reinstalled with the same results and same error in log. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? Thanks in advance!

~K

Edited by Keek Uras
Edit for clarity
39 minutes ago, Keek Uras said:

Hello there. I had updated to the latest docker version and now I cannot connect to the web interface. It will only load this screen:
image.png.7fdb15cdf0dd0fa8175d395227fb3983.png

This is in the log file:

04/01/2021 06:23:55 client_count: 0
04/01/2021 06:23:55 Restored X server key autorepeat to: 1
04/01/2021 06:23:55 Client 127.0.0.1 gone
04/01/2021 06:23:55 Statistics events Transmit/ RawEquiv ( saved)
04/01/2021 06:23:55 Statistics events Received/ RawEquiv ( saved)
04/01/2021 06:25:00 Got connection from client 127.0.0.1
04/01/2021 06:25:00 other clients:
04/01/2021 06:25:00 Got 'ws' WebSockets handshake
04/01/2021 06:25:00 - webSocketsHandshake: using base64 encoding
04/01/2021 06:25:00 - WebSockets client version hybi-13

04/01/2021 06:25:00 Disabled X server key autorepeat.
04/01/2021 06:25:00 to force back on run: 'xset r on' (3 times)
04/01/2021 06:25:00 incr accepted_client=8 for 127.0.0.1:34426 sock=10
04/01/2021 06:25:00 webSocketsDecodeHybi: got frame without mask
04/01/2021 06:25:00 rfbProcessClientProtocolVersion: read: I/O error

I restarted the docker, same. I removed the docker, deleted the image and reinstalled with the same results and same error in log. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? Thanks in advance!

~K

Hey. i have 2 handbrake containers. one of them are hardly on. updated and ive turn it on. connected to webui i had the same code 1006 until F5 the window and it connects. so i guess try that and see what happens.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:29 AM, CS01-HS said:

Thanks for incorporating the latest Intel driver with h265 fixes for Gemini Lake, I've been waiting to test it out. I'm having a strange problem though - on my j5005 qsv_h265_10bit hardware encode works perfectly, but qsv_h265 (8 bit) hardware encode fails with the following error:

[04:52:23] qsv_hevc_make_header: MFXVideoCORE_SyncOperation failed (-17)

Any guess whether that's a problem with the driver or with handbrake?

Yes, looks like the issue is not fully fixed yet...

• Thanks 1
On 1/4/2021 at 9:44 AM, Djoss said:

Yes, looks like the issue is not fully fixed yet...

Apparently there are advantages to 10 bit encoding even of 8 bit videos with minimal impact on file size, so no great loss.

I have another question re: hardware acceleration:

I notice with certain videos, decode consumes all my CPU with GPU (for encode) sitting at 2-3%. I see some references on the web to an option Enable QuickSync Decoding but I don't see it in the docker. Am I missing it, has it been removed, are there good reasons not to run it regardless?

Thanks by the way, even hardware encode has reduced encode time by a factor of 10 in some cases. Amazing improvement.

6 minutes ago, CS01-HS said:

I see some references on the web to an option Enable QuickSync Decoding but I don't see it in the docker. Am I missing it, has it been removed, are there good reasons not to run it regardless?

I think this is only for the Windows version.

• Thanks 1
On 12/1/2020 at 1:44 AM, ibbanez said:

nvm, I think I found the behavior... Its under the track selection tab, correct?  Check the boxes of the codecs that I want to pass through, and then choose the fallback codec that I want the others to use when its not a pass through codec?  Am I understand this behavior correctly?  thanks.

Did you find a solution that worked for you? I, too, want to set a preset that automatically selects passthru for all tracks. I don't know how to set this from the GUI. Guessing possibly from the config itself?

On 1/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, snowboardjoe said:

Did you find a solution that worked for you? I, too, want to set a preset that automatically selects passthru for all tracks. I don't know how to set this from the GUI. Guessing possibly from the config itself?

The method described by @ibbanezis correct: check all the boxes of codecs you want to pass through, then select "Auto passthru" as the audio encoder.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DaSlinky said:

Is this primarily on Intel chipsets?  I don't image it on a threadripper.

side note, I for the life of me cannot find this nvidia community app everyone has posted on youtube.  what happened?

Hey Dude. on the apps tab on unraid, click on settings and turn Hide Deprecated Applications and Hide Incompatible Applications: to no. then search for nvidia. it will come up. but you do need to run Unraid v6.9.0-beta31

I have a question. 

What would people prefer software encoding or Intel quicksync/Nvidia. Honestly the quality looks the same, the only thing I see different is that software encoding takes more time and videos are smaller at the end, which is good but I don't feel like putting my CPU through days of encoding. 

35 minutes ago, gacpac said:

I have a question. 

What would people prefer software encoding or Intel quicksync/Nvidia. Honestly the quality looks the same, the only thing I see different is that software encoding takes more time and videos are smaller at the end, which is good but I don't feel like putting my CPU through days of encoding. 

It’s all personal preference really. If you can’t tell the difference that’s fine. For myself software quality is noticeably better than Quick Sync. Has more to do with detail. The film grain is still there in software where in QSV it loses detail.

12 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

It’s all personal preference really. If you can’t tell the difference that’s fine. For myself software quality is noticeably better than Quick Sync. Has more to do with detail. The film grain is still there in software where in QSV it loses detail.

Even if the files are noticeable smaller as well? I just did the an episode of live action TV show. Using MKV preset 1080p 30fps h265 just that.

original file 2.49gb

QSV 1.14gb

Software 373MB

12 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Even if the files are noticeable smaller as well? I just did the an episode of live action TV show. Using MKV preset 1080p 30fps h265 just that.

original file 2.49gb

QSV 1.14gb

Software 373MB

I’ve not jumped into H.265. I’m still working with H.264. I’ve done a little testing with H.265 but just haven’t seen the need to change.