[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

I recall reading something about the built in Unraid permissions fix causing havoc for openvpn-as but not sure if that's true, why, what the fix is.

That is true.  Why the fix common problems plugin has a "docker safe" new perms module which skips over appdata (and CA's backup of appdata)

The only fix if you've messed up the perms is to redo the appdata from scratch (or spend a ton of time figuring out what the permissions should be for each and every file/folder and manually changing them)

Thanks for the tip on the "Fix Common Problems" plugin, I didn't even know it existed.  Great plugin!

I'll just blow away the openvpn-as app data then and restart.

Also, sounds like you're saying that (a) I should never use the built-in "new perms" function, and instead just rely on the checking done by the "Fix Common Problems" plugin to detect?  One problem i have is in my automation workflow for usenet and torrent downloads, folders are getting created in the user shared without correct permissions.  I was using the new perms setting to fix those periodically but the check in FCP plugin looks like it only checks user share perms and not contents within them

Yeah that's correct.  You should be able to adjust the perms that your dl client and or cp or sonarr uses but if you need to adjust the permissions within the array use the docker safe new perms (tools tab)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So I managed to make the password change without a problem, but then I made a few changes to my container settings and it updated the container. The admin password was then reset to the default and didn't remember the new password I had set

Is there a way to fix this? I don't want to have to change the admin password everytime the container receives an update

Exactly this is happening to me. I can restart the docker and the passwords and users will stay as I configured them, but if i simply go to the docker container edit page and press save, the user/passwords changed via telnet will reset, but everything on the webgui itself will stay as it was. Seems like a slight security concern

Hey guys,

I have a weird problem.  It seems the VPN only connects me to my home network to have access to my Unraid webgui.  I can't see anything else and traffic still seems to have the same restrictions that my work has setup.  (Blocked sites etc...openvpn.net being one of them.)  When I check IP it shows the correct ip of my home.  I am at a loss on this one.

My goal is to be able to connect to my home PC's steam account from work.  Trying out steam in home streaming...  not even close yet.

I also have the same issue where my containers password resets when I reset the container.  Its very odd.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Setup a connection to OpenVPN and I'm able to connect to OpenVPN on my android phone just fine. Except, I cannot access the unRAID server or router at all. It just times out on any attempted connection. Port is forwarded for the server on the router. I'm able to see myself as a connected user on the OpenVPN web GUI. Is there something I'm missing? Am I accessing my server the wrong way?

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance of getting the openvpn-as software updated in this image? Its a bit out of date now.

i was under the impression this container auto-updated on restart....

I believe it does, meaning a restart of the container should unless the repo it grabs from is not up to date. I just did a reset to test and low and behold just like all the other linuxserver.io containers it seemed to grab packages from the repo before it started.

Firstly I wouldn't be opening ports up on my router until my configuration was complete. I also wouldn't be exposing my Admin/Connect web pages to the internet.

In the main, default settings for this Docker Container are fine. It works pretty much as is once you understand that minimal playing is required and what everything does.

Here is what I did:

- Installed OpenVPN-AS Docker.

- Changed Admin Password

- Created New User

- Changed New User Password

- Selected Server Network Settings

- Changed Hostname to my domain name (this is optional - I connect via a domain name not an IP Address and I want to to be reflected in the certificate files when they get generated).

- Changed Protocol to UDP only

- Changed UDP port to 1194

- UnderClient Web Server I checked Use the same address and port as the Admin Web Server (This means that the Admin and Connect UI's are accessible from the same port)

- Save Settings

- Goto User Permissions

- Create a new user to match the one that you created earlier on the Command Line

- Check Admin (If you want to BUT there is no reason why not - you're not going to allow access to the Admin or Connect GUI's outside the LAN anyway)

- Check Allow Auto-Login

- Check Require user permissions record for VPN access

- Save Settings

- Click Apply on Server (if the option appears - and it should)

- Logout of Admin Web GUI

- Click Connection profiles can be downloaded for: Yourself (user-locked profile) link

- A .ovpn (containing required certificates to securely auto login from a client) file will be downloaded to your PC

- Log out of Connect Web GUI

This is what I did to enable the Profile on my iPhone:

- E-mailed the .ovpn to a secure email account accessible on my iPhone

- Installed the OPenVPN iPhone app from the App Store

- Went into my e-mail client and opened the .ovpn file with the newly installed OpenVPN iPhone app

- When the file opens it prompts you to save the config. Click Yes.

- Deleted .ovpn file from my email client (and server) and saved a copy of it on my Array for using later.

On OSX the procedure is similar except you can use a nice program called Tunnelblick from the App Store.

Once things are loaded, then:

- Open your router (no need for opening another ports if you have followed my instructions) Web GUI and Open and forward port 1194 to your unRAID Server.

- Try and Login from one of your clients. If all is well, and the few times I have set this up it has been - your VPN connection will start up and you can access your LAN side machines as if your were on the LAN itself.

Note: You can log in from any and as many clients as you like. The license is per user NOT per connection.

:)8)

Hello,

It's the first time i use a vpn connection and i followed danioj's instruction and i could connect my android phone to my Unraid Server. Thank's!

But I don't find how to change the Admin Password :

- don't find it in the Webui

- don't know linux command with Putty

What to do?

Read the readme on github or docker hub that are linked in the first post of the thread.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Find the command in docker hub readme.  :)

For those who are lazy and don't want to go looking, drop to the command line on your server either on console, telnet or ssh and do the following:

docker exec -it openvpn-as passwd admin

Then follow on screen prompts.

Image has been rebased to ubuntu xenial and the app itself updated to 2.12.

More info on changes at linuxserver.io

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=50793

Hi sparkly!

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place ;)

Access Server version: 2.0.24

I'm definitely on the xenial version, just based on the logs:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We do accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 20-time: executing...

Current default time zone: 'Europe/London'
Local time is now: Sat Aug 6 10:40:29 BST 2016.
Universal Time is now: Sat Aug 6 09:40:29 UTC 2016.

[cont-init.d] 20-time: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-openvpn-init: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-openvpn-init: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-interface: executing...
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
[cont-init.d] 50-interface: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

Any ideas? :)

Hi sparkly!

[fix-attrs.d] done.

_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

GID/UID

MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.

Have you updated the container?

I thought I'd made that clear in my post? :D

Yes, I updated it this morning, and restarted it about 5 mins ago to see if that made a difference too, it did not :)

Hi sparkly!

[fix-attrs.d] done.

_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

GID/UID

MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.

Have you updated the container?

I thought I'd made that clear in my post? :D

Yes, I updated it this morning, and restarted it about 5 mins ago to see if that made a difference too, it did not :)

You were very quick off the mark with your reply. I realised that after I had posted and hit delete almost instantly but like I said, you were just too quick for me  ;)

I have just forced my container to update with the following results:

[fix-attrs.d] done.

_ _ _

| |___| (_) ___

| / __| | |/ _ \

| \__ \ | | (_) |

|_|___/ |_|\___/

|_|

GID/UID

MOD Default {} {}

MOD Default {} {}

MOD Default {} {}

MOD Default {} {}

[cont-init.d] done.

[services.d] done.

Everything is working fine. I have noticed that I have had to reset the admin password via this command:

docker exec -it openvpn-as passed admin

and recreate the users I had via this command:

docker exec -it openvpn-as useradd <yourusername>

But once I did that, everything is working fine. Note, that the auto update "feature" has been removed.

Oops, I realised that I didn't say once what my issue was!!

I'm just posting to say that my server version hasn't been bumped for some reason :)

I'm still on 2.0.24 instead of the latest 2.12 version

I can't figure out why though, as I've definitely been updated to the latest docker image :P

No worries mate. My excuse is that its 8:18pm here and Ive had a wine or 2  :)

Interesting observation though. Mine doesn't appear to have been updated either but interestingly I am on 2.0.20.

I'll raise it with Sparkly.

I'm just posting to say that my server version hasn't been bumped for some reason :)

I can't figure out why though, as I've definitely been updated to the latest docker image :P

Interesting observation though. Mine doesn't appear to have been updated either but interestingly I am on 2.0.20.

Haha, nice!

I'm supposed to be enjoying a holiday, but just can't resist updating my dockers :D

I do wonder if it's just OpenVPN-as reporting the version incorrectly for some reason :P

I couldn't find a --version command anywhere inside the docker itself though, so it's just a theory atm :P

Haha, nice!

I'm supposed to be enjoying a holiday, but just can't resist updating my dockers :D

I do wonder if it's just OpenVPN-as reporting the version incorrectly for some reason :P

I couldn't find a --version command anywhere inside the docker itself though, so it's just a theory atm :P

Ive asked the question, I am sure Sparkly will look into it when he gets a minute.

The very fact that you're reporting a different version to me though suggests that the old Container almost certainly did auto update (answer to a previous question in the thread). The new Alpine Container has certainly had the auto update feature removed BUT as you say, we are not showing 2.12. The common thing between us both is that we upgraded from the old Container - Ill test doing a completely fresh install with fresh appdata and see if that works.

Haha, nice!

Ive asked the question, I am sure Sparkly will look into it when he gets a minute.

The very fact that you're reporting a different version to me though suggests that the old Container almost certainly did auto update (answer to a previous question in the thread). The new Alpine Container has certainly had the auto update feature removed BUT as you say, we are not showing 2.12. The common thing between us both is that we upgraded from the old Container - Ill test doing a completely fresh install with fresh appdata and see if that works.

I deleted my app data config folder for this app and did a completely new install and the GUI is now reporting 2.12. I am not sure if this will end up being the formal advice but if you really MUST have the latest version now (assuming it wasn't the latest version before and the GUI was just not reporting it right) then doing what I suggest will work.

Its not a huge drama really as it pretty much works out of the box and the setup and config is only 10 mins of your time. If you don't want to do this though, suggest wait for formal advice from Sparkly.

Haha, nice!

I deleted my app data config folder for this app and did a completely new install and the GUI is now reporting 2.12. I am not sure if this will end up being the formal advice but if you really MUST have the latest version now (assuming it wasn't the latest version before and the GUI was just not reporting it right) then doing what I suggest will work.

Its not a huge drama really as it pretty much works out of the box and the setup and config is only 10 mins of your time. If you don't want to do this though, suggest wait for formal advice from Sparkly.

Wicked! Thank you for testing that :)

I would do this, but the only was I'm able to connect to unRAID right now is by connecting to my openVPN server haha ;)

But if this ended up being the formal advice, like you said, it'll only be a few mins of setup :)

Thankfully I'm not doing anything too complicated with my setup haha

I'll standby for Sparkly's verdict :)

My old eyes never noticed the version number, revisiting it, it seems the best way to update is to crash and burn.

Haha, fair enough :) I shall have to get round to that next week then :D

Do you reckon I'd have to do that every time the docker is updated? Or just this once to 'fix' something that's gone wonky?

My old eyes never noticed the version number, revisiting it, it seems the best way to update is to crash and burn.

Haha, fair enough :) I shall have to get round to that next week then :D

Do you reckon I'd have to do that every time the docker is updated? Or just this once to 'fix' something that's gone wonky?

The files of the app itself are stored outside the container. So i'd say everytime the app itself is updated at this stage.