[Support] ich777 - Application Dockers

ich777

Has anyone got a practical solution to opening web links in Thunderbird docker.

Since the docker is using noVNC you cannot copy from the docker to your workstation so interactions are handicapped significantly.

Since the docker doesn't have a browser bundled there is no way to open URLs within.

I've looked for Thunderbird plugins and installed a few browsers from CLI but they won't run within the docker.

Does anyone have a solution to this otherwise I can't use it in replacement of the desktop app. 😢

Additional:

Seems there are rate limits applied to the Thunderbird repo.
https://www.docker.com/increase-rate-limits/

Edited by ados
3 hours ago, ados said:

Since the docker is using noVNC you cannot copy from the docker to your workstation so interactions are handicapped significantly.

You can use a VNC client on your local PC and connect to the VNC server which is running inside the container, this will allow you to directly copy past from it.

Just add another port entry like that in the template:

grafik.png.f36a92e132c7d0a363c3cc979974bedb.png

(please don't use the port 5900 since this port and the following ports are also used by the VM manager on Unraid so I would recommend that you use something like 5990)

This will then allow you to connect to the container with YOURUNRAIDIP:5990 to the containers VNC server directly.

3 hours ago, ados said:

Since the docker doesn't have a browser bundled there is no way to open URLs within.

This is done on purpose since this can be a serious risk, malware and so on and I don't want that the database or something inside the container is harmed.

3 hours ago, ados said:

Does anyone have a solution to this otherwise I can't use it in replacement of the desktop app. 😢

You can use the VNC menu on the left side of the screen as an alternative to copy paste (there is a little clipboard icon that allows you to copy to and from the app that is running inside the container.

3 hours ago, ados said:

Additional:

Seems there are rate limits applied to the Thunderbird repo.
https://www.docker.com/increase-rate-limits/

I have not applied a rate limit, the rate limit applies to your machine and means that you can only pull 100 containers (from your IP) in six hours.

Just now, ados said:

Using VNC to connect will be too much friction and the clipboard side tool only works to copy host -> docker not vice versa.

No, this is not true, this allows you to copy to and from the container, I know that because I heavily use my container with the noVNC web client and it works flawlessly.

I use the Thunderbird container as my main mail application.

I've also edited my post about the rate limit.

• Thanks 1

Having a much bigger issue.

Spent nearly 2 hours building message filters and folders to find they are all wiped on reboot.

I don't know why 2 filters have stayed (first 2) but all others vanish on reboot of container.

The folders are still there obviously but the filters will not persist between restarts.

Additional info:

Found the cause, due to poor Thunderbird design and not docker.

Thunderbird only saves the settings on window close.

When you access message filters a new window appears unlike other setting navigations.

image.png.e64e6f53712d50230381f5fd0d80534c.png

Any changes in this state are not save until closed, there is no autosave or save button.

You would expect the top right button to close the window any.

image.png.dc337e5da5f5d9197395eee0c8d86226.png

However that unmarked grey button is just minimising it and it remains on the bottom bar.

Open the message filter again and it will just unminimise it.

Reboot your docker and the settings since save is where you end up.

Solution is to use browser keys CTRL + W which is the shortcut for close window.

Edited by ados
Additional information
2 hours ago, ados said:

Spent nearly 2 hours building message filters and folders to find they are all wiped on reboot.

You have to quit Thunderbird from within Thunderbird and not restart the container since if you are simply restarting the container the settings for filters and so on will be wiped.

So to speak click this icon: grafik.png.8f29ab540adf9e596278e511316f4454.png right next to the search bar and click Quit, this will restart the container and make the settings stick.

2 hours ago, ados said:

However that unmarked grey button is just minimising it and it remains on the bottom bar.

Press ESC on your keyboard this will do also the same, I hide the close button because this can lead to serious trouble for some users, closing the main application instead of another window, hope that makes a bit of sense to you (something like that gave me trouble).

1 hour ago, ados said:

hahah I've definitely not installed 100 dockers in last 6 hours, must have been a glitch because I was able to install it an hour later.

Yes, DockerHub is sometimes weird.

Anyways, glad that you figured it out yourself and that it's working now, at least that the filters stick.

• Like 1

@ich777 - One more question on the OpenVPN container. 

I'd like to be able to have one of my Docker containers that get network via the OVPN container to be able to access something on my local 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. 

It looks like that isn't possible. Can you suggest a setting that might allow that? 

37 minutes ago, Merijeek said:

It looks like that isn't possible. Can you suggest a setting that might allow that? 

It is: Click

I don't use that because I don't want this...

Simply create a new variable in the container and add a Variable with the Key: ROUTE and as the Value: 192.168.1.0/24

This should do the trick.

• Like 1

Hey ich777,

first of all: thank you for all those docker templates you provide. Really appreciate them!!

Recently I have been working with the LANCache-Prefill template and noticed that for BattleNet and Epic the Parameters are missing (SteamPrefill Parameters are present).
Added the BattleNet one manually now for myself. Will these be added in the future? Is there a way to create some kind of pull request so that I could provide them?

Kind regards
Dustin

10 hours ago, Maertuerer said:

Recently I have been working with the LANCache-Prefill template and noticed that for BattleNet and Epic the Parameters are missing (SteamPrefill Parameters are present).

You don't need parameters for BattleNet and EpicPrefill anymore, you have to just configure them as for your Steam account and my container will then execute the prefill.

This changed a few months back and is also described here how to configure:

grafik.png.f92514a173323da1a301057a920f2c6f.png

Ungoogled Chromium seems to be stuck in a loop

---Starting...---
---Version Check---
---Ungoogled-Chromium not installed, installing---
---Sucessfully downloaded Ungoogled-Chromium---
---Resolution check---
---Checking for old logfiles---
---Checking for old display lock files---
---Starting TurboVNC server---
---Starting Fluxbox---
---Starting noVNC server---
---Starting Ungoogled-Chromium---
---Ensuring UID: 99 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Ensuring GID: 100 matches user---
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Checking configuration for noVNC---
Setting noVNC resizing to: remote
Nothing to do, noVNC qaulity set to default
Nothing to do, noVNC compression set to default
---Taking ownership of data...---
---Starting...---
---Version Check---
---Ungoogled-Chromium not installed, installing---
---Sucessfully downloaded Ungoogled-Chromium---
---Resolution check---
---Checking for old logfiles---
---Checking for old display lock files---
---Starting TurboVNC server---
---Starting Fluxbox---
---Starting noVNC server---
---Starting Ungoogled-Chromium---
---Ensuring UID: 99 matches user---
---Ensuring GID: 100 matches user---
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking configuration for noVNC---
Setting noVNC resizing to: remote
Nothing to do, noVNC qaulity set to default
Nothing to do, noVNC compression set to default

26 minutes ago, Kirball said:

Has anyone been using TxAdmin with their fivem server?

Wrong support thread.

25 minutes ago, Kirball said:

I am also getting this error when starting my txadmin 

It seems that your database is corrupt or at least something is not working properly. I would recommend that you ask about that on the FiveM forums.

27 minutes ago, Kirball said:

Is there a way to have it start on it's on and not keep turning off?  Seems like everytime I check the server is down and I have to run the startup script.

It won't turn off on it's own usually, maybe this is related to your database error from above.

39 minutes ago, Kirball said:

There is a seperate thread for fivem?  That would explain why I couldn't find anything about it here.

The gameserver thread, click on the Container icon and Support. Anyways, this is not a separated thread for FiveM and this seems to be an issue with your installation, as said above, I would strongly recommend that you post that error on the FiveM forums.

txadmin is also running just fine and should not end itself automatically, this is the first time I hear that someone has such an issue.

Hi, I'm using the openvpn docker. Based on the log below, am I having issues with connecting to my VPN service provider? 

Error: ipv4: FIB table does not exist.
Dump terminated
+ exec sg vpn -c 'openvpn --cd /vpn --config /vpn/vpn.ovpn --script-security 2 --redirect-gateway def1 --auth-user-pass /vpn/vpn.auth                 '
---Starting...---
2023-09-09 20:19:28 DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'AES-128-CBC' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:CHACHA20-POLY1305). OpenVPN ignores --cipher for cipher negotiations. 
2023-09-09 20:19:28 WARNING: file '/vpn/vpn.auth' is group or others accessible
2023-09-09 20:19:28 OpenVPN 2.6.3 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] [DCO]
2023-09-09 20:19:28 library versions: OpenSSL 3.0.9 30 May 2023, LZO 2.10
2023-09-09 20:19:28 DCO version: N/A
2023-09-09 20:19:28 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]146.70.137.122:1195
2023-09-09 20:19:28 UDPv4 link local: (not bound)
2023-09-09 20:19:28 UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]146.70.137.122:1195
2023-09-09 20:19:28 WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this
2023-09-09 20:19:29 [server] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:1195
2023-09-09 20:19:30 WARNING: You have specified redirect-gateway and redirect-private at the same time (or the same option multiple times). This is not well supported and may lead to unexpected results
2023-09-09 20:19:30 TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
2023-09-09 20:19:30 net_iface_mtu_set: mtu 1500 for tun0
2023-09-09 20:19:30 net_iface_up: set tun0 up
2023-09-09 20:19:30 net_addr_ptp_v4_add: 10.33.0.6 peer 10.33.0.5 dev tun0
2023-09-09 20:19:30 Initialization Sequence Completed

I have another (hopefully) simple one.  I'm routing a container through OpenVPN-Client with Network Type: None and Extra Parameters: --net=container:OpenVPN-Client.  I've added a port to OpenVPN-Client for my container, and I've opened the relevant port in my firewall directed at my Unraid server).  It's working nicely.  However, I can't seem to port forward through the tunnel to my container.  If I hit my WAN IP and the relevant port, then I can make it in, but it's not forwarding connections from the VPN tunnel.  I tried just a variable for VPNPORT with the same port number, but then I can't access the container at all.  Any thoughts?  I tried setting my router to forward to the container subnet IP (instead of my Unraid server IP), but it wouldn't let me add an IP from that subnet.