Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, a12vman said:

I updated UD to 2023.08.17a, I see the same faded "Reboot" symbol even after stopping unraid & full re-boot.

My scenario is a little different as the share is still accessible via SMB.

I like the ability to move, delete, rename files in this UD share from the Unraid UI.  How do I get that feature back?

Same here

36 minutes ago, a12vman said:

No I have not removed this disk. It is plugged in to one of the internal sata ports, inside the server.

Same here

2 hours ago, Sanches said:

All fixed!

Thanks so much!

@dlandon the issue just came back with today's update:

When I add the share and click on mount, the error "Device '//192.168.0.95/share' failed to mount. Check the syslog for details." appears.

The share gets mounted and appears in the /mnt/remotes/

Even after erasing from UD, it still shows in /mnt/remotes/

54 minutes ago, Sanches said:

@dlandon the issue just came back with today's update:

When I add the share and click on mount, the error "Device '//192.168.0.95/share' failed to mount. Check the syslog for details." appears.

The share gets mounted and appears in the /mnt/remotes/

Even after erasing from UD, it still shows in /mnt/remotes/

@dlandon All good again for my issue after 18a

Thanks

I've been trying to search this forum/thread, but haven't found this specific issue. I have a few remote shares set up on a Win10 PC. Everything seemed to be working fine and I was able read/write to those shares until recently. I usually have that PC powered off while I'm away, and when I returned recently and booted up that computer, the remote shares won't reconnect.  The remote PC is on and I am able to log into it (local or RDP) and the shares should all be accessible - afaik nothing changed.  How can I best diagnose the issue?  I've tried adding a new share from within unRAID, and when I "search for servers" that PC name (E5-2670) comes up, but then when step thru the wizard and try to load shares the list comes up blank.  Hoping I can reconnect these shares and appreciate any tips.  Hopefully it's okay to post this question right in the thread here but I'd be happy to make a new thread if that's preferable. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.80bc3d9cb3639ae4aa0c37b6e4a9448c.png

bonzo-diagnostics-20230818-1509.zip

On 8/8/2023 at 11:54 PM, dlandon said:

Try adding one of the shares back.  You can add the same remote share and it will update the UD settings.

I did several times now and always get the same response: -111 error.

The other unraid has the same problem and same errors.

When I try to add a smb share again I can even type in whatever username or password and it won't complain at all and just add the share I want.

Edited by Amr0d
11 minutes ago, Amr0d said:

I did several times now and always get the same response: -111 error.

The other unraid has the same problem and same errors.

When I try to add a smb share again I can even type in whatever username or password and it won't complain at all and just add the share I want.

Post your diagnostics.

1 hour ago, StatMatt said:

I've been trying to search this forum/thread, but haven't found this specific issue. I have a few remote shares set up on a Win10 PC. Everything seemed to be working fine and I was able read/write to those shares until recently. I usually have that PC powered off while I'm away, and when I returned recently and booted up that computer, the remote shares won't reconnect.  The remote PC is on and I am able to log into it (local or RDP) and the shares should all be accessible - afaik nothing changed.  How can I best diagnose the issue?  I've tried adding a new share from within unRAID, and when I "search for servers" that PC name (E5-2670) comes up, but then when step thru the wizard and try to load shares the list comes up blank.  Hoping I can reconnect these shares and appreciate any tips.  Hopefully it's okay to post this question right in the thread here but I'd be happy to make a new thread if that's preferable. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.80bc3d9cb3639ae4aa0c37b6e4a9448c.png

bonzo-diagnostics-20230818-1509.zip 197.18 kB · 0 downloads

The gray orb ball means that UD doesn't think the remote server is online.  If UD can't ping the remote server, it is marked as being off-line.

Try to ping the remote server with the server name and server IP address.  See if it responds to one or the other.  If it doesn't respond to the server name, you can use the IP address.

• Thanks 1

Interesting result. I can ping the IP address of the computer no problem. It's on my subnet at the address x.y.z.35 (incidentally, how does one stop the ping command? It seemed to just keep pinging over and over - I wasn't sure how to interrupt the command so I just closed the command line window. Hopefully that stopped it and didn't just leave it running in the background forever!)  However when I tried to ping the computer name, it appears to have resolved to the incorrect IP address of x.y.z.39.  The mobo is one with dual NICs as well as IPMI, but I have the second NIC port bound only to Hyper-V manager and from my router it looks like the IPMI BMC was assigned a different IP address.  I just tried starting up one of the VMs and it was assigned yet a different IP address.  So why is unraid incorrectly resolving the hostname?  And what can I do about it?  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, StatMatt said:

incidentally, how does one stop the ping command? It seemed to just keep pinging over and over - I wasn't sure how to interrupt the command so I just closed the command line window.

Ctrl-C.  Closing the window stopped it.

3 minutes ago, StatMatt said:

However when I tried to ping the computer name, it appears to have resolved to the incorrect IP address of x.y.z.39.

That's a DNS issue you'll have to sort out on your system.

• Thanks 1

That was super-weird. I rebooted my main unraid server, and once it re-started suddenly the little bulbs were green and I was able to mount the remote shares on my Win10 box, but at the same time my backup unraid server no longer showed as online so that remote share couldn't be mounted. I went in a pinged it, and once I did suddenly it also started working (after a couple of tries - I forgot UNIX is case sensitive).  Something very strange seems to be going on with name resolution on my network - will have to try to get to the bottom of that.  Thanks for your help.

Where do I find destructive mode to format disks? Is this still a feature of UD? I see others get a red X next to the disk, but I do not. 

EDIT: OK forget this first part
image.thumb.png.517e97bb968708b1c662bc09d596a077.png

Also would I be correct in assuming mounting any drive to any position (parity or data) will be automaticlly formatted anyway? I understand normally you would get a message "'unmountable'" with "format" button.

But I just mounted a brand new disk (out of the box) to the array, started the array, and it did not require format.

Edited by K1LLA_KING_KING
10 minutes ago, K1LLA_KING_KING said:

Where do I find destructive mode to format disks? Is this still a feature of UD? I see others get a red X next to the disk, but I do not. 

Settings->Unassigned Devices.

10 minutes ago, K1LLA_KING_KING said:

Also would I be correct in assuming mounting any drive to any position (parity or data) will be automaticlly formatted anyway?

Yes, but parity disks are not formatted as they don't have a file system

11 minutes ago, K1LLA_KING_KING said:

I just mounted a brand new disk (out of the box) to the array, started the array, and it did not require format.

I think you're confusing formatting a disk vs clearing a disk.  All disks assigned to the array need to have the proper partition and file layout.  UD preclear can prepare disks before they are put in the array with a pre-cleared signature so they don't have to be cleared when assigned to the array, but Unraid will format them based on your settings.  This maintains parity as it doesn't have to be regenerated.

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I think you're confusing formatting a disk vs clearing a disk.  All disks assigned to the array need to have the proper partition and file layout.  UD preclear can prepare disks before they are put in the array with a pre-cleared signature so they don't have to be cleared when assigned to the array, but Unraid will format them based on your settings.  This maintains parity as it doesn't have to be regenerated.

OK so in this case I did not pre-clear the disk. Here was the process:

Add disk (still had factory partition, which i did not delete), new config, assign device posistion (array), choose XFS, start array

All started. Nothing more needed to do. (Did not need to press format)

How is it that can happen? The disk was already in the required format? Or UD or Unraid did it all in the background?

Asking just out of curiosity

Edited by K1LLA_KING_KING

Hey team,

Love the plugin, no issues to speak of :)

Quick question though: it seems like the plugin has updated almost daily for weeks, maybe longer. Is there a beta plugin that I've unwittingly installed or something or is it just that new versions are getting pushed for each defect?

Again, no problems, it's just making me think I'm running a nightly version instead of a stable release or soemthing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Thanks,
~ Aaron

10 hours ago, DrPeril said:

or is it just that new versions are getting pushed for each defect?

It's not a nightly build.  When users have issues that cause UD not to work properly, a fix is released.

Think about how many Unraid users there are (a lot) and all the differing disks and devices people want to connect with.  Then throw in networking issues that cause CIFS and NFS issues, and you'll appreciate the task of trying to keep up.  There is only so much testing that can be done.

I also don't want to maintain two development streams.

• Like 1