Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 minutes ago, Arndroid said:

Now, I do however still not see an option anywhere to format/mount the unassigned HDD. Where should I be looking specifically? Or should I format the drive externally first anyways? Thanks again! (Not sure what the Destroy mode is about then, my bad in that case, the disk is precleared but I do not wish to add it to the array pool, just mounting it)

The destructive mode allows clearing and formatting disks.  Look next to the drive and click on the red 'X'.  This will clear anything left on the disk (probably from preclearing) and should enable the 'Format' button.  Right now you are probably seeing a grayed out 'Mount' button meaning there is a partition on the disk without a file system that UD recognizes.  This will be the case for a precleared disk.

Just now, dlandon said:

The destructive mode allows clearing and formatting disks.  Look next to the drive and click on the red 'X'.  This will clear anything left on the disk (probably from preclearing) and should enable the 'Format' button.  Right now you are probably seeing a grayed out 'Mount' button meaning there is a partition on the disk without a file system that UD recognizes.  This will be the case for a precleared disk.

Ah yes, sounds obvious now. Thanks a ton again!

On 8/30/2023 at 4:05 PM, dlandon said:

Click on the check mark by the disk and see if it can be repaired.  After the encrypted disks are opened, UD doesn't recognize a file system.  The file system check should shed some light on what is wrong.

On 8/30/2023 at 4:15 PM, Henchman21 said:

Thanks, I tried running it for both Drives. 

The status popup i got read
FS: crypto_LUKS

Opening crypto_LUKS device '/dev/sda1'...
Executing file system check: 2>&1
Closing crypto_LUKS device '/dev/sda1'...

I also Checked the Syslog and got 
Aug 30 16:10:40 D20 unassigned.devices: Using disk password to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Aug 30 16:10:42 D20 kernel: BTRFS: device fsid 8260d801-ef92-4d29-a628-1835e2116116 devid 1 transid 1944 /dev/dm-5 scanned by udevd (12859)
Aug 30 16:10:46 D20 unassigned.devices: Using disk password to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Aug 30 16:10:50 D20 kernel: BTRFS: device fsid fae018cc-5bac-4ce1-89b5-5be65725162f devid 1 transid 492 /dev/dm-5 scanned by udevd (12856)

I have done some further testing By formatting and trying to mount a different drive usb drive, It seems if I format the drive as either XFS - encrypted or BTRFS - encrypted then the newly formatted drive will fail to mount with error " unknown filesystem type 'luks'.". If I format the drive with a non encrypted file systems it mounts without issue.

6 hours ago, Henchman21 said:

I have done some further testing By formatting and trying to mount a different drive usb drive, It seems if I format the drive as either XFS - encrypted or BTRFS - encrypted then the newly formatted drive will fail to mount with error " unknown filesystem type 'luks'.". If I format the drive with a non encrypted file systems it mounts without issue.

Post diagnostics.

Hey, I just added a new SSD to unassigned devices.
I formatted it btrfs and mounted and shared it without issues.

I have set up unassigned devices to share via SMB with read/write permissions for specific users.

I have 4 SSDs that I access via SMB (shared by UA) with the configured permissions without any issues.

For some reason on this new SSD, my user doesn't have write permissions despite it being configured in the UA SMB settings. It's working fine on all my other drives. Any idea why UA hasn't applied the correct permissions to this new device?

I moved files to the mounted drive via the terminal without issues, I just can't add files via SMB as apparently I don't have permission. I can read without issues.

I've tried to remove and reapply the SMB permissions, and unmount / mount the drive. Not sure how to fix this, any advice would be appreciated.

2023-09-02 20_34_11-DansUnRaidNAS_Main — Mozilla Firefox.png

2023-09-02 20_40_19-DansUnRaidNAS_UnassignedDevicesSettings — Mozilla Firefox.png

Edited by kamikazedan

Does this allow you to have any old mount point show up under the Unassigned Devices section? I was hoping to be able to mount local loopbacks and rclone shares and have them show up under this header for easier management. Is this a possibility?

I tried to do a simple rclone mount and can indeed mount it--tried creating a mount point under /mnt/disks/share, /mnt/remotes/share, /mnt/addons/share as I saw these mentioned in this thread--but it does not show up under the UD section.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just not possible?

39 minutes ago, EldonMcGuinness said:

Does this allow you to have any old mount point show up under the Unassigned Devices section? I was hoping to be able to mount local loopbacks and rclone shares and have them show up under this header for easier management. Is this a possibility?

I tried to do a simple rclone mount and can indeed mount it--tried creating a mount point under /mnt/disks/share, /mnt/remotes/share, /mnt/addons/share as I saw these mentioned in this thread--but it does not show up under the UD section.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just not possible?

Not possible.  Only UD mounts are managed and shown in the UD webpage.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, kamikazedan said:

t's weird that UD did not use the same permissions it had configured on the other drives, the issue is now resolved.

Using the 'force user = nobody' option is a special case and not recommended for everybody.  It does change permissions.

Glad you sorted it out.

Maybe this have been answered before, but is there a way to disable disk spin down for UD disks? Without going to unraids disk settings and disable it there. I have a bunch of disks I want to run extended smart tests on, two at a time. And to run smart test the disks can't spin down as you probably know. I don't want to have all my array disks spinning if I don't have to. 

29 minutes ago, strike said:

Maybe this have been answered before, but is there a way to disable disk spin down for UD disks? Without going to unraids disk settings and disable it there. I have a bunch of disks I want to run extended smart tests on, two at a time. And to run smart test the disks can't spin down as you probably know. I don't want to have all my array disks spinning if I don't have to. 

There are several ways:

• Set the array to never spin down disks and then set your array disks to spin down on the timer you want.
  • Set the array to never spin down disks and manually spin down the array disks
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

There are several ways:

• Set the array to never spin down disks and then set your array disks to spin down on the timer you want.
  • Set the array to never spin down disks and manually spin down the array disks

I forgot I could change each disk setting by clicking the disk... Thanks! 

Hi! I'm trying to share some folders that I have in an Unraid server. They are in the same Network than my other server, which also uses Unraid. I want them to share using "unasigned devices" but when the remote is all set, it turns grey and does't work. I've read on Unraid forums that maybe one of the servers isn't communicating by ping with the other.Any ideas? Thanks

image.png

2 hours ago, Kufrapali said:

Hi! I'm trying to share some folders that I have in an Unraid server. They are in the same Network than my other server, which also uses Unraid. I want them to share using "unasigned devices" but when the remote is all set, it turns grey and does't work. I've read on Unraid forums that maybe one of the servers isn't communicating by ping with the other.Any ideas? Thanks

image.png

Post diagnostics.

I have a disk mounted using the plugin to sync backups to for off-site storage. With the current mount attributes it is proving a warning due to not being able to update the file modification time. (futimens).

Mounted through the plugin:

/dev/sdm1 on /mnt/disks/Primary type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)

Mounted through the cli using defaults:

/dev/sdm1 on /mnt/disks/test type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

Mounting the disk through the CLI works with no errors or warnings.

Is there a way to change the attributes when mounting a disk (ESATA in this case) for example to allow for the modification of the file times?

1 hour ago, Splash said:

I have a disk mounted using the plugin to sync backups to for off-site storage. With the current mount attributes it is proving a warning due to not being able to update the file modification time. (futimens).

Mounted through the plugin:

/dev/sdm1 on /mnt/disks/Primary type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)

Mounted through the cli using defaults:

/dev/sdm1 on /mnt/disks/test type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

Mounting the disk through the CLI works with no errors or warnings.

Is there a way to change the attributes when mounting a disk (ESATA in this case) for example to allow for the modification of the file times?

Post diagnostics.