Latest tutorial to set up Plex transcoding with Nvidia GPU

alitech

Hi there

I have just gone and brought a new Quadro P600 card for my unraid server. I have installed it and I can see it appear in the system devices. 

IOMMU group 32:[10de:1cb2] 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL [Quadro P600] (rev a1)

[10de:0fb9] 04:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

I tried to look up some tutorials to set up this so plex runs off Unraid with hardware transcoding taken care by the P600 but most of these tutorials are years old and I am hoping there is a newer step by step tutorial that anyone might have or come across? I really need a step by step. 

If you have successfully set this up recently, please do share with me so I can get this done on my server. 

Many thanks and humble regards

The above linked solution is only for Unraid 6.9.0 beta35 and up (you need to be at least on that version to see the Plugin in the CA App).

If you want to do this on a stable version you have to visit this thread (prebuilt images in the first post on the bottom):

You also have to install the Unraid-Kernel-Helper-Plugin (the plugin and not the docker container) from the CA App to see your Nvidia Card UUID.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi all friends, I am writing to you from Italy, sorry for my bad English, 3 months ago I changed my PC and with the old hardware I made a NAS with Unraid 6.9.2, I installed binhex-plexpass and configured with my Plex Pass account. The problem is for hw transcoding, I installed a Quadro P1000 with Nvidia Drivers, GPU detected and I also see the status via GPU Statistics, I followed all the online tutorials but the transcoding continues to do it via the CPU.

I configured Plex with NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES on "all", Extra Parameters on "--runtime = nvidia" and I entered my GPUUUID on NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES, I enabled hardware transcoding from the Plex settings but nothing to do, it doesn't work it just uses the CPU. Online in some tutorials they say to set Extra Parameters to "--device / dev / dri: / dev / dri" and insert the following string in the go file:

#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex

modprobe i915

chmod -R 777 / dev / dri

even so it doesn't work, I always have the CPU at 80% load during remote streaming and the GPU at 2% and the writing (hw) does not appear. Anyone know what the problem may be? I also tested with a GTX 1050Ti and a GTX 780 with the same result, so I rule out a GPU problem.

If it can be useful I put the hardware list of the nas:

Asus Z97-PRO GAMER

Intel Core ™ i7-4770K

16GB DDR3 Ram

Nvidia Quadro P1000

I hope I have explained well, I thank in advance whoever will help me, the videos on Youtube I have already seen them all, please do not post them.

20 minutes ago, Fastbobo said:

#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex

modprobe i915

chmod -R 777 / dev / dri

This is only for Intel CPUs with an integrated GPU.  This will do nothing for an Nvidia PCIe GPU.  This is no longer the way the i915 drivers are loaded for unRAID 6.9.2+

You will find the best advice/instructions in this thread related to the plugin for Nvidia GPUs.

Edited by Hoopster

Yes, I've already seen that topic, I followed the guide in the second post:

To utilize your Nvidia graphics card in your Docker container (s) the basic steps are:

Add '--runtime = nvidia' in your Docker template in 'Extra Parameters' (you have to enable 'Advanced view' in the template to see this option)

Add a variable to your Docker template with the Key: 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES' and as Value: 'YOURGPUUUID' (like 'GPU-9cfdd18c-2b41-b158-f67b-720279bc77fd')

Add a variable to your Docker template with the Key: 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES' and as Value: 'all'

Make sure to enable hardware transcoding in the application / container itself

But unfortunately it doesn't work...😭

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I've ended up with the exact same issue. When I originally set up Plex on Unraid, I got my GPU passthrough to work but for some reason in the last month of so it has just stopped working... I know the card is still functioning etc though cause TDARR is still making use of it. Did you ever figure out what was wrong/needed to be enabled for it to function for Plex again?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi

I tried to use the fantastic Spaceinvader's guide but when I've to add my GPU Nvidia on "Nvidia Visible Device"  I'm not able to set nothing. (I've posted an screenshot to explain better than my bad English) 

1802050457_Screenshot2022-11-08alle19_46_27.thumb.png.08611d99ffeb1acdd32b615adb626cd3.png

Whwre is my error?? 

Tks for help me!!!

Edited by Alcarimon
2 hours ago, Alcarimon said:

Hi

I tried to use the fantastic Spaceinvader's guide but when I've to add my GPU Nvidia on "Nvidia Visible Device"  I'm not able to set nothing. (I've posted an screenshot to explain better than my bad English) 

1802050457_Screenshot2022-11-08alle19_46_27.thumb.png.08611d99ffeb1acdd32b615adb626cd3.png

Whwre is my error?? 

Tks for help me!!!

SOLVE tks 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 3:59 PM, ChatNoir said:

The official container works just fine for me. I just disconnected my phone from the local Wifi and launched a show. My P400 went from P8 to P0 and there was load on the GPU from Plex.

image.thumb.png.3cbfa4f55baff8e91bf716c8f5358f23.png

I couldn't seem to get it to work for some reason. I had the latest nvidia drivers plugins, filled out Extra Parameters and all.

I got it working with hotio's version so Im happy

• 6 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 9:57 AM, dja said:

I believe you will want to use this. Works for me with a 1660ti. Make sure to enable in Plex settings as well as getting the GPU ID as listed in directions. (Include the GPU part of the line also!!) 

Does this method still work?  I have the same card (1660ti) and just doing my research before attempting install.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, ChatNoir said:

The official container works just fine for me. I just disconnected my phone from the local Wifi and launched a show. My P400 went from P8 to P0 and there was load on the GPU from Plex.

image.thumb.png.3cbfa4f55baff8e91bf716c8f5358f23.png

I'm using the binhex-plexpass docker and want to use my gpu to transcode... but my docker doesnt have the HW transcode or the nvidia_driver_capa entries... what should i do then??

5 hours ago, architektur23 said:

I'm using the binhex-plexpass docker and want to use my gpu to transcode... but my docker doesnt have the HW transcode or the nvidia_driver_capa entries... what should i do then??

Either search in the binhex-plexpass support thread to see if the issue is addressed there, or install the official container instead.

• 7 months later...
On 8/9/2023 at 8:08 AM, JonathanM said:

Either search in the binhex-plexpass support thread to see if the issue is addressed there, or install the official container instead.

Having those variables themselves won't enable passthrough for nvidia cards. You have to enable "Advanced" view in dockerman and go to "extra parameters' and add "--runtime=nvidia" otherwise you'll get no hw transcode even though you have all the nvidia variables for the docker.