Soon™️ 6.12 Series

starbetrayer

4 hours ago, ptichalouf said:

hello everyone, how can i participate to alpha of 6.12 i have two unraid server, one for testing and the other for the production. i will be happy to make feedback about zfs :)

There is no 6.12 alpha.  The beta testing is internal right now.

I know there is a strong desire to get zfs integrated into Unraid, but the implementation of zfs is still in its early stages and is not ready for any public testing.  There are also issues showing up with the upgrade to php 8 and plugin authors will have to make changes in their plugins.  Some of the php upgrade issues prevent plugins from running at all.

You will just have to be patient until it is ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe this is the right post to ask the question. 

Me personally I love the unraid implementation, i can add drives as I go. I'm sure simply upgrading to ZFS will give me more benefits, but will I lose the current feature of adding drives as i need without redo the array?

4 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Maybe this is the right post to ask the question. 

Me personally I love the unraid implementation, i can add drives as I go. I'm sure simply upgrading to ZFS will give me more benefits, but will I lose the current feature of adding drives as i need without redo the array?

ZFS pools give more performance but at the price of the flexibility that unraid is known for.

It's just an extra option that can be used instead, in addition in a separate pool, or... ignored completely if that's not something you want/need.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

ZFS pools give more performance but at the price of the flexibility that unraid is known for.

It's just an extra option that can be used instead, in addition in a separate pool, or... ignored completely if that's not something you want/need.

yeah, if i change what unraid is in esence then it would be the same as using truenas. There's big benefits on performance i get it but the flexibility goes away. 

On 1/11/2023 at 10:39 PM, limetech said:

With future release:

• The "pool" concept will be generalized.  Instead of having an "unRAID" array, you can create a pool and designate it as an "unRAID" pool.  Hence you could have unRAID pools, btrfs pools, zfs pools.  Of course individual devices within an unRAID pool have their own file system type.  (BTW we could add ext4 but no one has really asked for that).

This is quite interesting! So for the future would a pool still be able to use XFS or will you be limiting it to btrfs and zfs? What about the ability to scale pools one drive at a time (major reason for many who use Unraid) and will there be a pool disk size limit?

22 minutes ago, PeterDB said:

So for the future would a pool still be able to use XFS or will you be limiting it to btrfs and zfs?

You can still use XFS for single device pools and/or an unRAID array.

23 minutes ago, PeterDB said:

What about the ability to scale pools one drive at a time (major reason for many who use Unraid)

That's will depend on the filesystem you choose for the pool, you can with btrfs, not with zfs raidz, until/if raidz expansion gets implemented.

24 minutes ago, PeterDB said:

will there be a pool disk size limit?

Pools are currently limited to 30 devices, there's no size limit for the disks used.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can still use XFS for single device pools and/or an unRAID array.

That's will depend on the filesystem you choose for the pool, you can with btrfs, not with zfs raidz, until/if raidz expansion gets implemented.

Pools are currently limited to 30 devices, there's no size limit for the disks used.

Here's the thing; in the comment here 

it's eluded to the fact, that in the future there will be no array, but just pools, which could imply XFS is going away.

As for scalability, with the btrfs pools I have each time I added a drive it required me to reformat, would that also be the case in the future if XFS goes away?

3 minutes ago, PeterDB said:

it's eluded to the fact, that in the future there will be no array, but just pools, which could imply XFS is going away.

Yes, but one of the pools options will be unRAID, which is what we call the array now, xfs (for single pool devices only), btrfs and zfs will be other options, possibly more in the future.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PeterDB said:

I see no implication that XFS support will change in any way, only a change in nomenclature. XFS will still be a filesystem option for disk in an unRAID array, an unRAID array will just be considered a type of pool. Likewise the option to have a single XFS formatted "cache drive" will still exist, only it will be referred to as a type of "pool" even though technically speaking a pool with only one drive isnt pooling anything. 

Edited by primeval_god
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, jmcguire525 said:

Will special vdev devices be excluded in the 30 drive limit?

When I posted that special vdevs could be imported they worked if assigned together with the remaining pool members, so inside the 30 drive limit, as of the current beta it's not importing a pool with a special vdev, I've already mentioned this to Tom and he is going to see if it's possible to make it work again, for importing existing pools only, there won't be GUI support to create a special vdev initially, understandably the main focus is to get the main zfs features working, simple mirror, stripped mirrors, raidz, etc.

On 2/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, Kilrah said:

Could you please elaborate on the actual real life performance benefits for zfs vs a classic unraid setup (1 parity, 1 m.2 raid-0 cache, bunch of drives) ? Will it magically make mechanical drives faster ? How will redundancy affect performance ? 

I seem to see a lot of people say "its just faster and better" - well, is it, really ? 

I'm not at all against changes, I just think people are hyping this way to much for the actual real life performance benefits. 

Just to be clear, I don't believe in magic.