Future Unraid Feature Desires

Future Unraid Feature Desires  

783 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In order of preference:

Native backup solution (for pools and array to other pool/array, unRAID server, or network location). There's a plug-in, I know, but something more granular than a scheduled zip would be nice.

VM backup and snapshots from GUI

A way to remove a disk (array shrink) without putting data at risk (at no point should parity be rebuilding without redundancy, or invalid).

• Upvote 6

Per Share schedule for mover.   So if I had  shares named movies, tv and documents.  Would be nice if mover scheduler allowed excluding entire shares. In my example - I would like mover to move only the documents share content to array and leave tv and movies on cache. 

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A mobile ui or app that is easy to use on the go, I have tried some of the 3rd party options and either couldn’t get it to stay connected or there was too much for on the go like I don’t need to access vms on the go but being able to turn them on and off would be good and same sort of thing with docker containers and being able to basic things would be a decent implementation of mobile access

I want Multiple Unraid Array, but not als Pool. (Pool in the sense like ssd pools can be used als cache for an array).

I want/need to exceed the 28 datadisk limitation in the unraid array.

But since this ist not possible, multiple Arrays with each up to 28 datadisks (+2 parity) in one unraid machine/license would be a compromise I could life with.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2023 at 11:01 AM, nirav said:

Per Share schedule for mover.

I second this, more mover control would be huge, and with the changes due in 6.13 to free up more options for multiple pools mapping eachother as primary/secondary, we will be building more complex caching arrangements. more control of the mover would be sorely needed once that feature is mature.

I currently use the Mover tuning plugin to more intelligently handle files staying on cache based on age and only doing a full dump move when the disk is dangerously full.

Having this kind of control on a PER SHARE basis would be massive.

I'd also like to see some form of read cache implemented, for example, a dedicated pool/disk, or a percentage of an existing cache pool allocated to a smart read cache pulling files based on some criteria to serve as a read cache would be very cool.

• 2 weeks later...

with ZFS support now added then thing that i think this is missing is the abilty to partition drives and use these partitions in the array / pools, this may seem odd but the reason is that i saw on reddit that on freenas its possible to get checksumming and correction to work on a single drive by partitioning the drive and then raidz1ing the partitions to make a single drive have bitrot protection without the huge capacity loss of saving everything twice (copies=2) ofc it will have a huge performace loss but for archival data it might be worth it, is there a way do similar on unraid and then adding this single drive 'pool' to the unraid array to allow it to be protected by the unraid parity system
again ik this is very weird but i kinda got unraid for the easy expansion, lack of all drives spinning up and in a way the protection of having drives failing beyond the parity without losing all the data and to combine this with the checksumming / bitrot protections of zfs is a intresting idea (since i have 16TB HDDs i can partition these 8 way so a raidz1 would give me 14tb usable space) and arc / l2arc should help with read speads of commonly used files anyways so maybe the performance wont be too horrible expecally with all writes going to the cache drives at this time im more intreasted wether or not its possible in unraid atm as i think itll be pretty stuid to attempt this kinda thing with live data until the full zfs implementation of zfs on unraid is compleate

TLDR i think this boils down to 2 things, 1. can you partition drives in unraid (1b. and then pool these partitions) and b. can you add zfs pools into the unraid array as a 'drive' (this last one could be useful for others if they have a ZFS drive and wanted to add a slog / l2arc / other special vdev) to a parity protected array drive)

the second thing that unraid is missing for me is backups, i use rsync to backup my unraid server but being able to do this via gui would be so much nicer

Just now, Danny N said:

with ZFS support now added then thing that i think this is missing is the abilty to partition drives and use these partitions in the array / pools, this may seem odd but the reason is that i saw on reddit that on freenas its possible to get checksumming and correction to work on a single drive by partitioning the drive and then raidz1ing the partitions to make a single drive have bitrot protection without the huge capacity loss of saving everything twice (copies=2) ofc it will have a huge performace loss but for archival data it might be worth it, is there a way do similar on unraid and then adding this single drive 'pool' to the unraid array to allow it to be protected by the unraid parity system
again ik this is very weird but i kinda got unraid for the easy expansion, lack of all drives spinning up and in a way the protection of having drives failing beyond the parity without losing all the data and to combine this with the checksumming / bitrot protections of zfs is a intresting idea (since i have 16TB HDDs i can partition these 8 way so a raidz1 would give me 14tb usable space) and arc / l2arc should help with read speads of commonly used files anyways so maybe the performance wont be too horrible expecally with all writes going to the cache drives at this time im more intreasted wether or not its possible in unraid atm as i think itll be pretty stuid to attempt this kinda thing with live data until the full zfs implementation of zfs on unraid is compleate

TLDR i think this boils down to 2 things, 1. can you partition drives in unraid (1b. and then pool these partitions) and b. can you add zfs pools into the unraid array as a 'drive' (this last one could be useful for others if they have a ZFS drive and wanted to add a slog / l2arc / other special vdev) to a parity protected array drive)

the second thing that unraid is missing for me is backups, i use rsync to backup my unraid server but being able to do this via gui would be so much nicer

achally i suppose a better idea would be to be able to have a tool to be able to mark a file as being corrupted (like zfs or plugin sees a checksum mismatch) and regenerate the file using the parity data tho im assuming this isnt possible without making your own filesystem

I would like Unraid to have an LTS channel. And by that i mean, for regular continual security patches on these released major versions. If that's a paid feature to contribute to the maintenance of it, so be it as long as the price is reasonable.

When releases are only once a year, if that generally, that's a long time to go without packages being patched. Unraid often does not use a LTS kernel in those releases either, leaving us in limbo for extended periods on versions that are unsupported and/or vulnerable versions upstream. Having an LTS kernel target should make it easier for you guys to merge in and ship security patches. I would like to see ongoing security updates for the at least the basics (kernel, docker, virt/qemu)

• Upvote 5
On 6/30/2023 at 8:29 PM, NAStyBox said:

The ability to roll back to a functioning release like 6.11.5. Being limited to only the prior release is a problem when you folks pump out trash like 6.12.0, 6.12.1 and then 6.12.2 in a short time. We shouldn't have to be punished for incompetence and poor testing. I've had less problems with alpha releases from other vendors. 

Please review our forum community guidelines for any future posts going forward.

You can roll back to 6.11.5 by downloading the zip here and replacing the bz files on the flash: https://unraid.net/download

• Like 2

On my side :
- MFA support for improved security (and level 1 accounts (RO) if you target companies usage)

- API (graphQL api is not public, can we have a roadmap - would be great for HomeAssistant)
- I know S3 sleep is tricky/plenty of hardware don't support it well (facing issues right now with my QNAP) or don't support it at all. Maybe a partnership with a vendor company to have a validated solution that would  be working for all releases.

Would be great to have an official roadmap 

Edited by ds9
typos
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 7:40 PM, SpencerJ said:

Unraid 6.12 will mainly feature ZFS as a new feature set.

What feature(s) are you most excited about for future Unraid stable releases?

As a Newbie I would ask a tool for data transfert from actual NAS/HDD storage

A way to put an existing NAS/SATA drive already full of data into an array (with index rebuild)

It would be so useful when switch between NAS and Unraid

Otherwise a direct data transfer between units (USB/eSata/ect) into the array

This because low end user (like me) won't be too expensive with network devices/home device

2 hours ago, theciosaz said:

Otherwise a direct data transfer between units (USB/eSata/ect) into the array

This particular one is already easy to do use the combination of the Unassigned Devices plugin to manage mounting the drive outside the array and the Dynamix File Manager to handle the transfer. (unless I have misunderstood what you mean by this idea).

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Revan335 said:

Or you used the UD Plugin for mounting the Shares of your NAS and transferred the Data.

20 hours ago, itimpi said:

This particular one is already easy to do use the combination of the Unassigned Devices plugin to manage mounting the drive outside the array and the Dynamix File Manager to handle the transfer. (unless I have misunderstood what you mean by this idea).

I want to try this asap, but I think it's not working due to NAS RAID 0 in the first option

THX. 

1 minute ago, eagle470 said:

One thing that would be nice is the ability to assign multiple IP's to the unraid server, this way I can pick a different IP for different custom docker networks to come out of.

You can already give different IPs to containers using the br0 network. Not useful/required for most though.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Milongero said:

After ZFS made it into unraid, it would also be nice to have the possibility to boot via a ZFS-root mirror with two usb sticks like truenas does?

Not likely. One of the features of Unraid is that the boot stick is easily readable and editable in virtually any OS, FAT32 is still the lowest common denominator for file systems.

I'm not saying it will never happen, but until Microsoft Windows can natively read and write a ZFS mirror I don't think it's going to be considered.

• Upvote 1