Future Unraid Feature Desires

Future Unraid Feature Desires  

783 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ZFS cache disk support

Start pools without array (make them independent?)

Proper docker support, if containers are managed through compose they can't be edited on the UI, if updated through watchtower they still show as needing update.

possible solution 

after a container is created just read everything from the container itself without needing the XML, if more metadata is needed put it in labels, this alone would make containers created through compose editable on the UI.

VM Snapshots.

• Upvote 1

Native Cloud Backup.

Coming from a Synology and it's the ONLY feature I'm missing.

I have to use CloudBerry inside a Docker container to upload to backblaze, because:

- I failed to setup rclone, it is WAY too difficult, even with a few tech skills

- I want file-by-file, unencrypted backups (and not blocks like duplicacy or other solutions) (i only upload photos of my holidays, not worried about privacy AND won't have to decrypt using a method I might have forgotten)

VM and Docker stats (network, cpu, mem) exposed for digestion in any network monitoring system (Observium, LibreNMS, etc) so these do not have to view Unraid as one device.

Example via SNMP. Not writing custom graph Prometheus stuff. It is fun, but for this purpose I want something that just works out of the box - just like Unraid.

Edited by Barry Staes

I'd like to see some significant effort go into improving the UX for the features that Unraid currently has, along with working on nothing but bug fixes for a while.

In particular, I find that whenever I have a problem with my unraid server, e.g errors or a drive dying, I need to refer to the forums or reddit for good info and understanding on what to do, to not stuff anything up. Really, this should be embedded into unraids web interface. If something happens it should do its best to tell me the details of whats gone on and whether theres an issue, along with suggested corrective actions - including the order in which to do the corrective actions, etc.

It'd also be good to see a concerted effort go into making unraid really stable and sort out the issues folks have.

I'd like to see the update mechanism have channels for development, latest and stable. Where stable is only extremely mature versions with no known bugs for some time.

I have always found myself staying behind due to the issues I see on the forums here. I never upgrade to .0, .1, .2, or even .3 releases. It's only after then that I start becoming interested. With the latest 6.12.6, I'm still skeptical, there still seems to be a large number of outstanding issues that some folks are having. I'm currently on 6.11.5 and have been since it was released. Prior to that I was on the 6.9 series.

• Upvote 1

Multiple level storage: SSDs are so cheap now that I want the 10% of my content that I'm actually accessing to be in a hot cache on SSD. It's silly that all my HDDs spin up when I want to play music when I can fit 100x my music in my cache drive, let along the extra 1/2 SSDs I could add!

33 minutes ago, Dayshine said:

Multiple level storage: SSDs are so cheap now that I want the 10% of my content that I'm actually accessing to be in a hot cache on SSD. It's silly that all my HDDs spin up when I want to play music when I can fit 100x my music in my cache drive, let along the extra 1/2 SSDs I could add!

So why not set up a pool just for your music? Add a pool, put a pair of cheap SSD's in RAID1. Set the music share to exclusive, and voila, fast non spinning music.

• Like 2

Need a far easier remote connection setup.  I need to be able to access my unraid server remotely, and also give clients login and upload capability, which is beyond my abilities with unraid but a cinch with something like an Asustor unit. Something like a 'simple mode' setup would really be awesome. 😀

19 minutes ago, Techspin said:

Need a far easier remote connection setup.  I need to be able to access my unraid server remotely, and also give clients login and upload capability, which is beyond my abilities with unraid but a cinch with something like an Asustor unit. Something like a 'simple mode' setup would really be awesome. 😀

Take a look at the tailscale plugin, easiest way to solve your challenges

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, warpspeed said:

Take a look at the tailscale plugin, easiest way to solve your challenges

Thanks @warpspeed for the lead. However, Tailscale is an install solution with limited users, it doesn't appear to be as on-par and client friendly as my 15(!) year old Synology DS209 which, after a little setup, was simply a URL and password.

Unraid is amazing, but is challenging compared to an AIO box, basic functionality like downloading plugins (actually not plugins, but workaround Community Applications, click to get access...) and easy remote connectivity should be in the core from the get-go.

Edited by Techspin
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 10:40 AM, SpencerJ said:

Unraid 6.12 will mainly feature ZFS as a new feature set.

I don't think ZFS is aligned with the Unraid product mission.

I want to see an unraid scrub, repair, snapshot, parity feature set.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just recently acquired a budget Intel Arc A310. It's meant for non-gaming purposes, and I intend to use it as a media encoder for AV1. I have tried like mad to get it to work via GPU passthrough but have had little luck. Even in my Windows 11 VM, it sees the card, but it keeps disabling it due to driver issues. 

I'm REALLY hoping that the next update or two, we can get some Intel Arc support as a lot of folks are itching to take advantage of its low cost and incredible media capabilities.

- Rsync with scheduling baked into unRAID

- Independently mount/unmount each pool

- unRAID boot in hd/ssd/nvme. Occasionally ping to USB flash dongle to validate ownership.

- Trim in array

- Docker compose

- Built-in file manager (instead of 2nd party plug in)

Edited by TopQuark

I would like much better parity and disk features

- parity snapshots

- integrated cheksums

- bitrot detection and prevention

- faster speeds for the array

- a real cache drive

- faster SMB implementation that isn't impacted by shfs

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...